• Please log in to reply
763 replies to this topic

#41 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,845 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 07:43 AM

Jagr is in a top shape, and he proved he can play against the very best at this year's WHC, where he was named the best forward. If it's for cca 2M, I'd be estatic. Jagr thrives with a two-way center, he played with Plekanec at the 2011 WHC, and Z and Dats are even better. This could be pretty awesome addition!

He played great in one tournament, not an 82 game season. As another poster said, I'd rather have Zherdev. He's about as "safe" as Jagr, but if he shines in detroit we will be able to keep him around rather than him retiring. And yes, if we do Jagr then Hudler HAS to go.

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#42 hak

hak

1st Line Sniper

• Gold Booster
  • 841 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 08:02 AM

YES!

Loving this. Did you guys see Jagr in the WHC? He was one of the best forwards in the whole tournament. He proved that he can still be a superstar player. Some of the plays he made there was absolutely dirty. It was only a couple of months ago. If he has motivation for another cup and works his ass of this offseason, i believe it would be wonderful news for the wings.

I understand those of you who dont like this to happen but I believe in Jagr if he would come here. I believe he would make a great impact, especially in the playoffs. He will draw alot of attention, both from media and from opposing players which gives some extra breathing room for our other star players.

I expect som inconsistency for him but his hot streaks would be well worth it IMO. He showed in the WHC that his roof is still very high. I also believe in Babcock and that he will make sure that lazy play is not accepted here and consistency and hard work means everything.

#43 WorkingOvertime

WorkingOvertime

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,465 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 08:21 AM

my problem is that this puts another one of our young guys out of a regular position again.... might as well resign modano, draper, ozzie. seriously. I mean look at other teams: people are shocked that carter is 26 and puts up mad points or that Burns/Weber are so young and talented. The fact is that they had time from a young age to ripen. Our young guys don't come up till they are usually 24 and they don't get much in terms of minutes. Young talented guys are great for everything: keeping, trading for big return, health/injuries, and energy. Don't say that only top 5 picks can make the jump at an earlier age, weber was a 2nd rounder. I want to have more guys like helm and abby that we can count on for the future, forget these "one year wonders" and invest in our youngsters.

Realistically, he would only take a spot away from Hudler, Emmerton, or Miller. The best option IMO is for Jagr to replace Hudler.

#44 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,845 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 08:28 AM

YES!

Loving this. Did you guys see Jagr in the WHC? He was one of the best forwards in the whole tournament. He proved that he can still be a superstar player. Some of the plays he made there was absolutely dirty. It was only a couple of months ago. If he has motivation for another cup and works his ass of this offseason, i believe it would be wonderful news for the wings.

I understand those of you who dont like this to happen but I believe in Jagr if he would come here. I believe he would make a great impact, especially in the playoffs. He will draw alot of attention, both from media and from opposing players which gives some extra breathing room for our other star players.

I expect som inconsistency for him but his hot streaks would be well worth it IMO. He showed in the WHC that his roof is still very high. I also believe in Babcock and that he will make sure that lazy play is not accepted here and consistency and hard work means everything.

This is exactly what everyone was saying about Modano when he came. Except instead of playing in KHL he came from another nhl team. Not too mention there are a lot of ifs in your post. I don't it to be up in the air about whether he will perform. Its a blunt NO from me. Make room for the young guys.

not to mention itd be a slap in the face to drapes and ozzie if we sign another old guy like this and let them go.

#45 SwedeLundin77

SwedeLundin77

Over the Line!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 09:07 AM

At the end of the day, it's a business. If Holland and CO. feel that Jagr gives them a little offensive punch and helps the team over Draper, then so be it. Draper will still be a part of the organization, as he and the Wings have stated.

This has no effect on Osgood either. Osgood is a matter of not playing very much over the past 2 seasons and Holland being concerned about his backup goalie's durability. I completely understand them possibly moving on from Ozzie. Ozzie will more than likely have a place in the front office as well.

I don't know if Jagr will help, hinder, or be status quo... No one truly knows the answer to this question. The haters and fans alike will have their arguments for both sides, but the fact is that no one knows how much he can contribute.

I think the organization owes it to themselves and the fans to consider any and all options, which is what Holland is doing in this case. It would be silly to just say, "he's too old, forget about it." If that were the case, bye bye Lidstrom. Jagr has been an older playing in a weaker league, but has consistently put up numbers in both regular season and playoffs over there. He has been reliable. If we can sign him for 1-1.5 million on a 1 year deal and he comes in and puts up 40 points +, then it's a success. If not, it'll be just like Modano, and we have guys to step in (Emmerton, Miller).

I personally, would like to see it happen, only for the contract I listed above.

#46 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,845 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 09:48 AM

#47 Cloune

Cloune

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 10:28 AM

yes nice !:)

Jagr >>>>>>>>> Modano

#48 The Secret

The Secret

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,214 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 10:34 AM

I'd roll the dice on this for the right price... He's big, strong, can score. I think he'd be a great Red Wing even if he is half the player he was but it HAS to be at the right price.

#49 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 10:48 AM

If he wants to sign for league minimum... that might be a different story.
"It is a lot easier to be an ******* to words than to people"-xkcd

Tootoo does NOT belong on this team. He is classless and I would rather see the Wings be bad than classless. I feel the same way about Bertuzzi as well, but he at least CAN make the team better. With Tootoo the team becomes worse and in danger of being classless. Would you have liked Claude on the team? Or Roy? No. So why would you be okay with that POS.

This thread has been closed due to emotions being higher than people's ability to read, interpret, and properly respond to simple posts.

#50 Hatethedrake!

Hatethedrake!

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 10:59 AM

Up for sale is Jaromir Jagr who comes with good goal scoring hands and the ability to set his teammates up with excellent passes. He also can use his size in a variety of ways including in the corners where he wears his opponents down. He is 39 years old, is built like a brick s***house and he can be yours if THE PRICE IS RIGHT!

Kenny: 1 dollar Bob.

Dats: 5 bucks.

Murph: Dollar hot dogs!
Jordan Tootoo will wreck shop.

We need someone like Parise that can penetrate the box.-blueadams

#51 TheBigRedMachine

TheBigRedMachine

Raise 32 to the rafters!

• 49 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 11:08 AM

A dirt cheap Jagr is better than Hudler, even if it is just a band-aid to give us another year to replace Hudler. Either way Hudler has to go.

#52 Hatethedrake!

Hatethedrake!

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 11:11 AM

A dirt cheap Jagr is better than Hudler, even if it is just a band-aid to give us another year to replace Hudler. Either way Hudler has to go.

If Jagr is Hudler's replacement then I will do cartwheels naked in front of my workplace. Well maybe I will just pump my fist quietly in my cubicle.
Jordan Tootoo will wreck shop.

We need someone like Parise that can penetrate the box.-blueadams

#53 Aussie_Wing

Aussie_Wing

Mursak

• Bronze Booster
  • 8,550 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 11:18 AM

I'd rather go Zherdev. If he pans out, we could have a player with phenomenal talent for a decade. If it doesn't pan out, we've lost nothing.

Ken Holland: Hes (Mursak) a young guy, provides energy, can skate, hes a puck hound.

#54 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 11:19 AM

If he comes cheap like the articles are saying, this would not be a bad addition to the Wings, especially with Draper not being resigned and Emmerton being such a huge question mark.

Edited by Shaman464, 16 June 2011 - 08:59 PM.

Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#55 xtrememachine1

xtrememachine1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,434 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 11:31 AM

I'd rather go Zherdev. If he pans out, we could have a player with phenomenal talent for a decade. If it doesn't pan out, we've lost nothing.

You'd rather go with a winger that has potential, but hasn't done anything over a guy that's won Stanley Cups, scoring titles and MVP awards? Not sure about that one. Obviously the Jagr the Wings would sign wouldn't be the one that achieved that greatness, but Jagr's worst year in his mid 30's was better than Zherdev's best ever.

#56 Nevermind

Nevermind

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 11:41 AM

If we trade Hudler away, I wouldn't be opposed to signing Jagr for less than $2M or so.

Hell, if we trade Hudler away, practically any signing looks good.

#57 mjlegend

mjlegend

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 11:47 AM

Why sign Mario Jr. when we can sign Mario?

Mario Lemieux to Wings (e3)

#58 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 12:08 PM

He's also a giant douchebag. He won't see the inside of the Wings` locker room.

#59 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 12:10 PM

I have a strict no-douchebag policy.
"It is a lot easier to be an ******* to words than to people"-xkcd

Tootoo does NOT belong on this team. He is classless and I would rather see the Wings be bad than classless. I feel the same way about Bertuzzi as well, but he at least CAN make the team better. With Tootoo the team becomes worse and in danger of being classless. Would you have liked Claude on the team? Or Roy? No. So why would you be okay with that POS.

This thread has been closed due to emotions being higher than people's ability to read, interpret, and properly respond to simple posts.

#60 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,338 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 12:13 PM

I can see why Jagr had a good tournament, just look at Canada's and USA's rosters :yowza:
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".