Rate this topic

Let's see...

'95? Nope.

'97? Nope.

'98? Nope.

'02? Nope.

'08? Nope.

'09? Nope.

Toss in the Pistons in '04 and the Tigers WS loss in '06, and I can't remember a single riot amongst fans in Detroit. Act like you've been there before, Canuckleheads!

The type of people who loot and riot are either criminals looking for some quick cash or drunken idiots. Those kinds of people will happily start or join a riot for whatever reason. This isn't about hockey as much as it's about opportune criminals.

Of course, but just as you don't paint a single group with one brush stroke you cannot pass blame on to another group in totality. It was clear that there were people involved that were hockey fans. Blaming anarchists for the riots is like blaming Mexicans for unemployment. While it doesn't help, it sure isn't the the only cause.

What on earth would have happened if the Canadian team lost in the Olympics?

I would like to point out that most of the citizens showed up and voluntarily cleaned up the mess caused by the other half of Vancouver. Good job Vancouver, one black eye and one proud teared up eye. :thumbup: Now if it happens a third time... you really have some explaining to do.

Amen to that!! Given Detroit's history, it always amazes me that nothing like this happens after a championship win or loss.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't remember any riots going on when the Redwings won or lost a championship series, or the Tigers in 06, or Pistons.

After last night's display, I had a hard time feeling any sympathy for the Vancouver fans. I know it's not fair, but seeing people getting roughed up for trying to protect their private property made me sick. It makes me hope the Canucks never get anywhere near another Stanley Cup final.

It's this sort of thing that gives the league a bad name. Check out some of the comments on ESPN and see what some are saying. Many seem to believe the league approves such behavior. I know it's ESPN, but still...

I actually think because we had A REAL BAD RIOT in Detroit that came from a major social problem and caused a scar that still remains to this day, we have learned not to go insane for insignificant stuff.

Our history has a ton of violence in it, and most of the time it is for reasons of significance. Now we have had instances in East Lansing and even Detroit in 84' but the damage is no where near this, and the violence was 1/10th of what Vancouver just experienced. At least to my knowledge no one has been killed. Though some of those people could have won a Darwin Award that night easily.

Guest CaliWingsNut

LOL at all the naive people saying they were rioting "because they lost".

They were going to riot regardless, win or lose, I can guarantee you that 100%.

I saw a picture of a dude in a ski mask wearing a shirt that said "I'm just here for the riot"...

Yeah... that city was likely to burn regardless of the game result.

I am too young to remember 1984, but I don't think it was anywhere near as bad as Vancouver last night. That looked more like LA in 1992, or Detroit in 1967.

There must be something in the water in Vancouver, or maybe it's all the wackjobs beautiful places like that tend to attract.

Detroit was worse than Vancouver. The 1984 post-Tigers riot is considered one of the first modern day sports riots. The city practically burned to the ground. Seven people were killed in the riots post-Pistons NBA title in 1989. Although thankfully these don't compare to the deadly European soccer riots, Detroit is nonetheless considered the birthplace of modern riots.

That said, the many championships, or shortfalls since then, have produced nothing but respectable conduct from Detroit and the burbs. Vancouver should take note at how the Wings and their fans conducted themselves after losing at home two years ago.

Old punch lines die hard, don't they?

So you knew it was coming after hearing about Wednesday's rioting in Vancouver after the Canucks lost to Boston.

"Vancouver is now the Detroit of Canada," tweeted Rainn Wilson, who plays Dwight Schrute on NBC's "The Office."

Related: Ron Dzwonkowski wonders what if Detroit had rioted like Vancouver

Somebody had to say it. But couldn't a professional funny man come up with a more recent reference?

Detroit's riot was in 1984, after the Tigers won the World Series. Fans have behaved themselves since, win or lose, while other cities have rioted, yet it always comes back to haunt us.

Besides, if Vancouver really were the Detroit of Canada, maybe it would have a Stanley Cup.

Wilson tweeted again later: "Wow, I (ticked) off a lot of Vancouverites and Detroit folk. In penance I'm going to tip over my Prius and set fire to it."

In with the old?

Hockeytown seems ready to embrace change, as long as it doesn't involve Nicklas Lidstrom.

Asked if the Red Wings should cut ties with Kris Draper and Chris Osgood, 65.7% of the first 2,500-plus voters in a freep.com poll said yes.

In another poll, 61% were in favor of signing Jaromir Jagr, 39.

Mike Babcock, meanwhile, told WDFN he hopes two new assistants will help shake things up.

"Your players get tired of you," he said. "You become like Charlie Brown's teacher -- wah, wah, wah -- they don't hear anything. So we need change."

Detroit was worse than Vancouver. The 1984 post-Tigers riot is considered one of the first modern day sports riots. The city practically burned to the ground. Seven people were killed in the riots post-Pistons NBA title in 1989. Although thankfully these don't compare to the deadly European soccer riots, Detroit is nonetheless considered the birthplace of modern riots.

That said, the many championships, or shortfalls since then, have produced nothing but respectable conduct from Detroit and the burbs. Vancouver should take note at how the Wings and their fans conducted themselves after losing at home two years ago.

I am not too young to remember the 1984 "riot." Please find me any evidence whatsoever that it even came close to the shenannighans of Vancouver. And NO ONE died in 1989. I have searched high and low for articles or photos, but nothing I find supports your claims, so it's not just memory loss on my part. Please be careful what you spread around without support.

All of this is disgusting. I know they were in Canada and Hockey was born there and the Cup too but there is no call for any of this. It reminds me of a few years ago when Montreal won it's first playoff series in some time and some Habs fans were rioting. That is sheer stupdidity on a platter it's not passion for the game it's stupid and uncalled for. I have no respect for any Candian fans who do that kind of stuff. I'm so glad the Bruins won the Cup Canada and it's fans don't deserve it.

Guest Shoreline

Is she being raped..?

Yes, in front of the cops, while puckering up for a kiss.

cusimano_brothers link kinda went ignored -- was her boyfriend and she was injured by the cops and their shield being at the wrong place at the wrong time, boyfriend was comforting her.

I lol'd at the Waldo thing. I was trying to find Waldo but instead saw something I didn't want to see. Now if you'll excuse me, I will go wash my eyes out with some pictures of nude womanz, preferably in santa hats or some Waldo-related attire while using the Men in Black de-neuralyzer or maybe some vodka to shed my memory of such vile things.

Edited by Shoreline