154 replies to this topic

#121 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 04:35 PM

Two points.
First off, they are wearing Canucks gear. You don't spend 200 bucks on a jersey without being a fan.

Secondly, why do they have to be black???

First, not all jerseys cost $200. In fact, the majority of jerseys sold are cheap replicas.

Secondly, people in Vancouver have been planning on rioting after game 7 for weeks if not months. A lot of them were not hockey fans, but just wanted to get in on the riot so they could loot and steal s***, just like most all modern riots in North America. Remember LA? A lot of people left their houses when they heard the news on tv or the radio so they could go down to the riots to loot and steal s***.

Hell even in the pic on page two of this thread, you can see two kids in front of a burning car, and in the background you can see some blonde girl that does not look like she came from the hockey game or even knows what hockey is, coming out of a high end store with a smashed in front window with her arms filled with s*** she just stole.

#122 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,938 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 06:22 PM

This is also something that would certainly happen in Toronto and especially Montreal -- rest assured.

I'm not so sure it would happen in Toronto. Toronto is the New York of Canada, so I think we have more respect for our city and are more business like, professional, and money/career driven than the people in Montreal and Vancouver. Montreal is a corrupt city run by the mob with a declining population, has a high school drop out rate of 50%, and huge problems with teenagers getting pregnant. Vancouver is full of hippies and drug addicts.

I think the Police would do a better job in Toronto as well. Toronto would party no question, and there would be arrests, injuries, and some damage, but I'm sure by midnight-1 am most people would go home to bed so they could get up for work the next day :lol:. Also Toronto wouldn't close down the downtown, since it's the business center of the country, and invite people to watch the game on the streets.

I heard on the radio today, when there was those riots in Toronto during the G20 meetings a while ago, most people that started the riots and got arrested came from Vancouver and Montreal. The Toronto media told the people who live in the area not to go downtown, and they listened. Plus the Toronto police were there in full force and stopped anything major from happening.

Maybe I'm crazy for thinking this way, but I just don't see major riots happening in Toronto.

Edit: I'll add, Ontario has the lowest crime rate in the country.

Edited by Barrie, 17 June 2011 - 06:24 PM.

Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#123 Electrophile

Electrophile

Ipsa scientia potestas est.

• Silver Booster
  • 9,390 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 08:35 PM

BTW just as an aside, the couple making out in the street has been identified, and they weren't really making out. The woman had been knocked to the ground by a police shield and her boyfriend was giving her a kiss to say that she'd be alright. Apparently she has one hell of a nasty bruise on her leg, but that's it.

electrophilewingsfloyd.jpg

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."  -- The Doctor

#124 crotty99

crotty99

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 10:22 PM

BTW just as an aside, the couple making out in the street has been identified, and they weren't really making out. The woman had been knocked to the ground by a police shield and her boyfriend was giving her a kiss to say that she'd be alright. Apparently she has one hell of a nasty bruise on her leg, but that's it.

The guy was from Perth in Australia! :lol:

Posted Image

Thanks TeeMan!

#125 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,746 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 10:43 PM

Now there's a vid on the Vancouver website showing the cleanup efforts. Nice move.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#126 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,257 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 10:54 PM

Aussie, Aussie, Aussie!
Posted Image

#127 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,746 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 10:56 PM

Where were you at the time of that photo? :hehe:

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#128 diehardredwing19

diehardredwing19

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 11:10 PM

iam soo glad van. never won the cup because i live only 15 minutes out of van. and am a diehard Redwings fan! so thank you boston... but when i saw this my heart sunk.. especially for the people who tried to stop it! arrests have been made and iam so happy to hear that!

#129 Aussie_Wing

Aussie_Wing

Mursak

• Bronze Booster
  • 8,550 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 08:18 AM

Man we're good.

Ken Holland: He’s (Mursak) a young guy, provides energy, can skate, he’s a puck hound.

#130 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 10:32 AM

Some basic logic.

Not all rioters were Canucks fans= True
All rioters were not Canucks fans does not equal Not all rioters were Canucks fans.

Some rioters were Canucks fans, some where not. Anything else is a cop out.
"It is a lot easier to be an ******* to words than to people"-xkcd

Tootoo does NOT belong on this team. He is classless and I would rather see the Wings be bad than classless. I feel the same way about Bertuzzi as well, but he at least CAN make the team better. With Tootoo the team becomes worse and in danger of being classless. Would you have liked Claude on the team? Or Roy? No. So why would you be okay with that POS.

This thread has been closed due to emotions being higher than people's ability to read, interpret, and properly respond to simple posts.

#131 RockyMountainWingGal

RockyMountainWingGal

RockyMountainWingGal

• HoF Booster
  • 3,810 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 10:55 AM

I am not too young to remember the 1984 "riot." Please find me any evidence whatsoever that it even came close to the shenannighans of Vancouver. And NO ONE died in 1989. I have searched high and low for articles or photos, but nothing I find supports your claims, so it's not just memory loss on my part. Please be careful what you spread around without support.

The 1984 riot consistently makes the top 5-10 worst sports riots lists. I remember it being pretty bad - in my opinion much worse than Vancouver. Remember not as much overhyping media to spread things across the internet instantly.

http://bleacherrepor...th-video/page/3

There are mixed reports on 1989-1990 Pistons wins. I was on the west coast listening on the radio and they claimed people had died. Whether these were the everynight deaths happening in Detroit or related to rioting is probably unknown, and one can find little information on this - short of pulling archived newspapers from the time.

http://newsfeed.time...-dennis-rodman/

Whether we like it or not, Detroit has the reputation of riot city - a reputation well earned, but one that I think is far in the past and the media just hasn't caught on.
New season, New start! May the force be with the Wings this time!

#132 Never_Retire_Steve

Never_Retire_Steve

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,156 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 11:50 AM

This is totally disgusting the videos and pictures that are seen of Vancouver. Hopefully, next year's losers will show a little more respect for their own city than Vancouver did

#133 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 03:17 PM

Toronto Star .

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#134 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,333 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 03:26 PM

Toronto Star .

You're a Toronto Star *****. :P

3 good Samaritans against an angry mob. As stated, and I know it's "so American of me", but I never go anywhere without a CCW for such instances. Albeit, I'd only ahve it unconcealed if it were my car being victimized.

Edited by Konnan511, 18 June 2011 - 03:32 PM.

The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#135 P. Marlowe

P. Marlowe

4th Line Heel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 07:32 AM

The Globe and Mail: The sad, painful truth about the Vancouver rioters’ true identities

While police and politicians continue to lay the blame for this week’s Stanley Cup riot in Vancouver on professional anarchists and hardened thugs with deep-seated criminal tendencies, the blogosphere and social networks such as Facebook have been revealing a much more uncomfortable truth.

Many of those who participated in the riot were not these types of people at all. They were, in many instances, the sons and daughters of good, upstanding citizens who today must still be in shock over what they’ve learned.

(...)

The fact is, it’s easier to blame hooligans and professional nihilists for what happened than confront the more disturbing possibility that under unique conditions that wonderful teenaged boy who lives next door is capable of coming unglued.

"Finger-pointing is easy. In some cases, even therapeutic. Fans need to blame something,

because the outcome is so frustratingly out of their control."
-- Mitch Albom

| Terry Sawchuk & Johnny Bower | | Extra Protection | | "Luckies never cut my wind." | | Straight to the Goal | | Dodging Traffic | | Mike Grier? |

#136 Never_Retire_Steve

Never_Retire_Steve

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,156 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 09:57 PM

I guess the saying "mob mentality" has some truth to it

#137 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 10:07 PM

The 1984 riot consistently makes the top 5-10 worst sports riots lists. I remember it being pretty bad - in my opinion much worse than Vancouver. Remember not as much overhyping media to spread things across the internet instantly.

There are mixed reports on 1989-1990 Pistons wins. I was on the west coast listening on the radio and they claimed people had died. Whether these were the everynight deaths happening in Detroit or related to rioting is probably unknown, and one can find little information on this - short of pulling archived newspapers from the time.

Whether we like it or not, Detroit has the reputation of riot city - a reputation well earned, but one that I think is far in the past and the media just hasn't caught on.

I cannot find many facts upon the 1984 riot. It doesn't even have a wikipedia page or is listed in their riot list. The only fact I can find of note is AP.

The final AP report read: “34 arrests, one dead, dozens injured.” Few of those arrested had attended the game, but the pictures of burning police cars and taxis appeared in national newspapers and magazines. A photograph of seventeen-year old Kenneth (Bubba) Helms, an eighth-grade dropout from Lincoln Park, in front of a burning police car, became the image of Detroit’s celebration

That isn't as bad as what happened in Vancouver, with the exception of one death. At least in the perception of what is available.

I can't find any evidence of anything happening in 1990. The only references are from Time and SI articles talking about it in the past. Cannot find original sources.

Edited by Majsheppard, 19 June 2011 - 10:14 PM.

"It is a lot easier to be an ******* to words than to people"-xkcd

Tootoo does NOT belong on this team. He is classless and I would rather see the Wings be bad than classless. I feel the same way about Bertuzzi as well, but he at least CAN make the team better. With Tootoo the team becomes worse and in danger of being classless. Would you have liked Claude on the team? Or Roy? No. So why would you be okay with that POS.

This thread has been closed due to emotions being higher than people's ability to read, interpret, and properly respond to simple posts.

#138 vladdy16

vladdy16

The rest are neophytes.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 6,222 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 07:52 AM

I was on the west coast at the time as well and yes, according to the national media Detroit was burning to the ground. I called home only to find nothing was really going on. Detroit has been razed at least 5 times according to national media. Funny, a lot of the buildings that were there when I was a kid are still there, and with no fire damage. Hmmmmmmm.
You can't make claims of what has happened because of a lack of sources. I can find a ton of information on the '68 riots and there was no internet then either. If these alleged riots happened in '89 & '90, I suspect we could find something on them in spite of no internet.
All I ask is that you not make these claims without some support. If you weren't there and can't cite sources, it's a rumor.
Can't wait to read the "Phoenix: I still think it's a hockey market" chapter of Gary Bettman's autobiography. I'm guessing it's going to be chapter 11.

- mjlegend 3/9/2011

#139 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 08:20 AM

Toronto Star .

This happened after his photo was on the front page of the Sunday edition of the Star , with his eyes blacked out.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#140 softshoes

softshoes

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 08:57 AM

Well I guess they all weren't anarchists.

The kid who tried to make a Molotov cocktail out of that cop car is sorry. The pool might need more chlorine. If this is posted elsewhere I didn't see it, sorry.
"Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f***in beatin's. The world ends when you're dead. Until then you got more punishment in store.Stand it like a man, and give some back."

- Al Swearengen