• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Doc Holliday

Wings unlikely to sign Osgood/Draper

Rate this topic

http://www.freep.com/article/20110615/SPORTS05/110615058/Red-Wings-unlikely-bring-back-Kris-Draper-Chris-Osgood?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

The Wings also will need a backup goaltender. Osgood would like another season in the role, but the club is wary because he suffered repeated setbacks after undergoing groin surgery in January.

“The injury is a major concern,” Holland said. “He hasn’t played a lot the last two years.”

With Draper, it comes down to a numbers crunch. The Wings have 11 forwards signed to one-way contracts for 2011-12 and are trying to re-sign Patrick Eaves and Drew Miller. Holland does not want to risk losing prospect Cory Emmerton by exposing him on waivers, as would have to happen for him to be sent to the minors.

Even with the likelihood of a trade — such as moving Jiri Hudler — management then would have to consider whether Draper brings more to the team than a newcomer.

“Right now, we owe it to ourselves to wait till July 1,” Holland said. “I’ll talk to both players, but so much is unknown right now. We don’t know who is going to be on the market July 1. Is there somebody out there we think brings something we’d like to our team?

“We owe it to ourselves to look at options. The torch has to be passed. If 40-year-olds aren’t passing the torch, we aren’t going anywhere.

This should make a lot of Wings fans giddy.

only delusional homers want osgood back.

get a clue.

Never said I wanted Osgood back.

But as players on the team who were once valuable assets to the franchise, you would think it would be easy to tone down the hate. Though from you that is hard to expect.

I'm not giddy about it, but I think it's the right move. Osgood has just had too many injury problems and they're right in that he hasn't been able to play a lot of hockey the last couple seasons. And Drapes is a huge part of the the Wings history, but he doesn't offer much that can't be replaced by younger guys who could have a future with the team.

It's more pieces of the 90's era ending.

Guest stinky fish taco

all the negs in the world won't change the fact that both of these players not returning is GREAT news for the detroit red wings!

neg away, folks!

I don't understand how that interview led to "unlikely to sign Osgood" in any fashion, except for the fact that St. James has always been part of the anti-Osgood crowd. The Wings don't have a goaltender in the system who is ready to take that step and take Osgood's job. However, Draper signing means he would be playing against Cory Emmerton, Drew Miller, Patrick Eaves, and Justin Abdelkader for a job. Which suggests that Holland's comment about 40 year-olds passing the torch was directed more at Draper than Osgood. I could be wrong. But given that Draper is a fourth line forward, and the Wings are working on re-signing forwards for the only two open spots on the roster - assuming everyone signed to a one-way deal makes the cut - that leaves Draper out. Osgood is as good as most backups and some starters, and the Wings won't be able to find an upgrade on him at anywhere near his cost. Howard is the starter, set in for long-term so they don't need to go hunting for a new guy there. A cheap vet backup or a prospect is what you'd see, and there's no options better than Osgood, unless his injury is so bad that it bothers him into next year; at which point he'll retire.

I don't get why you wouldn't want to sign both of these guys for the league minimum. Osgood is as good as any backup in the league and would be as cheap as possible. Draper would be cheap and played better than most players in the playoffs.

I don't want them to take time from our youngsters, but it doesn't seem like there is any chance of that happening anyways.

I don't understand how that interview led to "unlikely to sign Osgood" in any fashion, except for the fact that St. James has always been part of the anti-Osgood crowd. The Wings don't have a goaltender in the system who is ready to take that step and take Osgood's job. However, Draper signing means he would be playing against Cory Emmerton, Drew Miller, Patrick Eaves, and Justin Abdelkader for a job. Which suggests that Holland's comment about 40 year-olds passing the torch was directed more at Draper than Osgood. I could be wrong. But given that Draper is a fourth line forward, and the Wings are working on re-signing forwards for the only two open spots on the roster - assuming everyone signed to a one-way deal makes the cut - that leaves Draper out. Osgood is as good as most backups and some starters, and the Wings won't be able to find an upgrade on him at anywhere near his cost. Howard is the starter, set in for long-term so they don't need to go hunting for a new guy there. A cheap vet backup or a prospect is what you'd see, and there's no options better than Osgood, unless his injury is so bad that it bothers him into next year; at which point he'll retire.

Why commit to a backup who may not even play the full year, let alone put out a consistent performance for the team?

I don't get why you wouldn't want to sign both of these guys for the league minimum. Osgood is as good as any backup in the league and would be as cheap as possible. Draper would be cheap and played better than most players in the playoffs.

I don't want them to take time from our youngsters, but it doesn't seem like there is any chance of that happening anyways.

Helm, Eaves, Miller are all upgrades over Draper. And they are the returning guys he would be competing against for playing time. Mursak is definitely going to be on the roster, and offers a lot of what Draper brings; my ideal lineup puts Mursak on the left side replacing Draper with Helm and Eaves. Emmerton would be the likely loss if Draper returns, and he's a 23 year-old C/LW with second-line potential. He showed good offensive instincts and skill in a brief call-up last season and is defensively capable.

There's no need for Draper. He's a fan favorite, but he is simply another checking forward when we already have better checking forwards. It's not quite as dramatic as Maltby a couple years back when he simply couldn't keep up with the rest of the checking forwards, but Draper just isn't needed anymore. It's harsh to put it that way, I guess. But it's like leaving your Mom's house. You don't need her to take care of you anymore. Maybe you'll ask her for advice now and then, but you don't need her to make you every meal, drive you to hockey practice, and remind you when you have a doctor's appointment.

Why commit to a backup who may not even play the full year, let alone put out a consistent performance for the team?

Osgood was far more consistent than Howard last season. Had he not gotten injured, he may well have challenged for the playoff start. Hell, had he not come back early, he would have been ready a few weeks before the playoffs.

And as I said; if Osgood is still being bothered by his injury, he'll retire. All reports say he isn't. My guess is that either Osgood gets the job, or Holland brings in another goalie to challenge Osgood for the position. I don't see Holland simply handing it over to one of the prospects, given that none are out of options and none have shown that they are really NHL-ready. I also don't see Holland going out and simply grabbing a name out of a hat and signing a guy, as there are no UFAs available for a backup who are better than Osgood of any significant margin, and those who would cost the same are typically much worse. Finally, I don't see Holland giving up assets to get a mid-level veteran goaltender. If Holland trades for a goalie, it's going to be a big deal for a starter and Howard is likely going to be part of the deal, which doesn't solve the Osgood issue.

Draper, Osgood possibly this year. Lidstrom hopefully not now, Holmstrom next year. All of the guys that have made this franchise what it is for two decades now are starting to go away. Not even bringing hockey into the equation, it is sad to see guys that have been a staple of this organization moving on.

It's all speculative still, but I just hope they ALL receive the proper appreciation when the time comes. Some of the short-sighted comments already are pathetic.

Guest Crymson

great news! get lost, both of you.

Trololololol.

(Or, if you're not a troll, you're just a total ingrate).

For Eva: Hudler #1; Osgood #2.

get a clue.

And only a spoiled little f*** on a message board would send off players who have actually contributed to cup wins by this franchise (and been kind and gracious human beings all the while) in such a manner.

Time for them to move on? Yea, probably.

Time for you to gtfo? Be my guest.

If Ozzie is healthy I wouldn't mind having him back. The organization seems confident in Howard and if he is the starter, Oz isn't a terrible backup for a low price. I don't think any goalies in our system or J-Mac are as good as Oz right now.

Draper has run his course. He was a great 2 way forward (Selke) and a great face-off man in later years. But we have a great replacement (Helm) and a similar guy (Eaves) that will likely be re-signed.

get a clue.

And you are the only one being a pr**k about the situation.

Get a clue.

*sigh*

MacDonald is NHL ready at least for backup and he doesn't have a big health risk.

Like most in here (I am guessing) a lot want the youth movement, which I'm for, but Draper has still got it for a 4th line role, even if it is in/out the lineup. All for re-signing him though I understand if they don't.

Given how Osgood has been loyal to the organization/vice-versa and how I defend him when people in here act like absolute lunatics towards him, I'm not against bringing him back but again, big health issue etc.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

As much as I hate to say it - I agree. Mostly because for the past 2 seasons he's been struggling with his injury and he has not played 1 game since the surgery. The Wings need to know they can depend on their back up. Yes we know that Ozzie is more than capable when healthy so that isn't an issue but the big question: is he 100%?

I think that MacDonald has proved himself a capable back up so if we can get him at a good price he's an option.

This news is very bittersweet, it is definitely time for both of them to hang them up, but it's very sad to see them go at the same time - They both should(will) get jobs within the organization and will always be Red Wings... they were true warriors over the years and Draper specifically has been one of the hardest working players to ever lace them up!

Thanks for all the great years, memories and cups!

Draper, Osgood possibly this year. Lidstrom hopefully not now, Holmstrom next year. All of the guys that have made this franchise what it is for two decades now are starting to go away. Not even bringing hockey into the equation, it is sad to see guys that have been a staple of this organization moving on.

It's all speculative still, but I just hope they ALL receive the proper appreciation when the time comes. Some of the short-sighted comments already are pathetic.

So far, this is the Statement of the Thread. :thumbup: Some posters will say almost anything (even that which makes them look like idiots) to get attention.

This news is very bittersweet, it is definitely time for both of them to hang them up, but it's very sad to see them go at the same time - They both should(will) get jobs within the organization and will always be Red Wings... they were true warriors over the years and Draper specifically has been one of the hardest working players to ever lace them up!

Thanks for all the great years, memories and cups!

:thumbup::clap:

As much as I hate to say it - I agree. Mostly because for the past 2 seasons he's been struggling with his injury and he has not played 1 game since the surgery. The Wings need to know they can depend on their back up. Yes we know that Ozzie is more than capable when healthy so that isn't an issue but the big question: is he 100%?

I think that MacDonald has proved himself a capable back up so if we can get him at a good price he's an option.

Macdonald will not be offered a contract in Detroit.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index....ions_made.html