• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Doc Holliday

Wings unlikely to sign Osgood/Draper

Rate this topic

only delusional homers want osgood back.

get a clue.

There's a difference between being OK with Osgood "passing the torch" as Holland put it tastefully, and "get lost".

Care to give back those Cups? I don't, but I wouldn't mind moving on either. Ozzie and Drapes rightfully want a chance to sign and make the team. Holland has the tough decision of passing on two valuable and nostalgic parts of the Wings franchise and success for the last 15 years. He's paid to make the right decision.

These two guys deserve a round of applause if they're on their way out, not a "good riddance". Some Wings fans make me sad.

For Eva: Hudler #1; Osgood #2.

You clearly didn't read any of my post other than the part where I disagreed with the "Osgood leaving" part. Such as "why" I disagreed whether he should or would leave. Maybe you could read it and try to actually come up with an intelligent response instead of a flame?

I really think if Osgood says he is ready they should take his word for it. But this would be his last hoo-ra. I just don't think he wants to go out the way he did last year and wants to prove he can get it done one more time. As for Draper I don't see why he wouldn't be wanted. The guy played most of the season last year and played as hard as the young guys. He scored goals, killed penalties and won faceoffs. Really couldn't see why you would want him to retire. I figure Lids, Oz, Drapes and Holmer have one more year left in em. If Holland were so worried about Emmerton's potential, we would have seen him in more games last season. If you want to remove people, it should be the under achievers like Hudler. He just doesn't seem to work hard enough and expects others to make the plays. Combine that with Modano being gone and Kenny should be able to get it done with Draper and Osgood.

Assuming Eaves and Miller return, Draper doesn't make the top 12 even if you deal Hudler without a forward coming back. And keeping him in that situation would prevent Emmerton and Mursak from getting ice time to develop into the kind of players they can be; given the Wings' age at forward they need their young forwards developing to full potential as soon as possible.

As for Osgood, I refer to my earlier statement regarding the fact that if he is healthy, he will be the backup at or near minimum, but I also expect Holland to sign or at least invite another quality backup-level goaltender to camp.

I'd take Draper back as the 13th/14th forward, that way he won't take away time from the younger players and he'd be a perfect replacement for any injured player.

Franzen/Draper/Holmstrom. Now that sounds like a killer scoring line to me.

Osgood.... umm... bye! Try not to let 3 goals in on your way out.

We need a backup that will accept a role as second, but will still give Jimmy a challenge to continue to improve.

Osgood was outplaying Howard for a considerable stretch before he went out injured. Howard started to play better down the stretch, especially when Osgood came back.

Osgood was outplaying Howard for a considerable stretch before he went out injured. Howard started to play better down the stretch, especially when Osgood came back.

I'm a huge Osgood fan and even I know that's bunk.

He was playing arguably better in 09-10 and slipped up midway through the season. This season, Howard has been the undisputed #1 for Detroit for every part of the season.

Guest stinky fish taco

I am under the belief that mindfly created a new name just to come in her and harass us. 83 just simply isn't enough for this taco

as far as i can see, mindfly never said a bad word about anyone on this site. that's one difference between us.

I hope that the Wings don't resign Osgood or Draper. Let's use that Cap and Roster space for someone else. Bring Emmerton up this coming season and go after a couple new free agents. Resign MacDonald or even a Free Agent Goalie or something Say bye to Miller and Eaves and let's go after some new blood; something that could give us a little spark on the roster to get the guys going and ready to chase another Cup.

Edited by Dimaline312000

I hope that the Wings don't resign Osgood or Draper. Let's use that Cap and Roster space for someone else. Bring Emmerton up this coming season and go after a couple new free agents. Resign MacDonald or even a Free Agent Goalie or something Say bye to Miller and Eaves and let's go after some new blood; something that could give us a little spark on the roster to get the guys going and ready to chase another Cup.

A. You do NOT let Eaves get away, that would be a massive loss and a horrible mistake...

B. Holland has already stated that MacDonald will not be offered a contract

Guest CaliWingsNut

A. You do NOT let Eaves get away, that would be a massive loss and a horrible mistake...

Actually (unsure which thread) there was an article posted that Holland did offer a 2-way, but JMac insisted on a 1-way and therefore is looking elsewhere.

Edit: here it is...MLive

Edited by CaliWingsNut

I know I am one of the few, but Eaves is very replaceable. He finished the regular with 3 points in the final 23 games. He did have 3 points in the playoff, which was nice, but he is a guy who is replaceable, as is Miller. I'd love to re-sign Eaves, but not more than 950K a season. Hell, Miller had 2 less points, but is an excellent PK'er, while Eaves was a very good Pk'er. Either one would be fine for me, but I'd rather have Emmerton and just one of Miller/Eaves.

I know I am one of the few, but Eaves is very replaceable. He finished the regular with 3 points in the final 23 games. He did have 3 points in the playoff, which was nice, but he is a guy who is replaceable, as is Miller. I'd love to re-sign Eaves, but not more than 950K a season. Hell, Miller had 2 less points, but is an excellent PK'er, while Eaves was a very good Pk'er. Either one would be fine for me, but I'd rather have Emmerton and just one of Miller/Eaves.

Eaves and Miller are both upgrades over Draper. You won't find anyone who will do their job better any noticeably amount better than they do for their pay rate. Keeping both won't prevent Emmerton from being on the team, so long as Draper isn't. If both Miller and Eaves stay, Draper isn't necessary.

Pretty clear what the course of action should be regarding Draper, Miller, and Eaves.

Hope to see both of these guys gone by next year. Love them both but they do not contribute like they need to be on a nightly basis and there are players ready to take both of their roles.

Draper's role has already been taken, so I agree with you there.

As for Osgood... what goalie in the Wings system is ready? Sure as hell isn't McCollum or Pearce. If you're thinking Larsson, he's more likely to be traded than handed an NHL job by Holland. So why not say that half of the NHL should retire, as a good number of college players, AHL players, CHL players, or European players are ready to take their roles?

Eaves and Miller are both upgrades over Draper. You won't find anyone who will do their job better any noticeably amount better than they do for their pay rate. Keeping both won't prevent Emmerton from being on the team, so long as Draper isn't. If both Miller and Eaves stay, Draper isn't necessary.

Pretty clear what the course of action should be regarding Draper, Miller, and Eaves.

How do you figure? They give you the same offensive and defensive production. Or are you saying they are upgrades because they are substantially younger? The only upgrade would be Eaves. Draper and Miller have an extremely similar point per game pace, while Draper has been finishing with the higher +/- and still has one of the top 3 wheels on the team.

As I said, If we kept just one of the 3 I wouldn't care and I really have no preference. Miller is from MSU, Draper has the speed and faceoff ability and Eaves has the best shot. They all have assets and they are all 4th/3rd line tweeners.

That's too much of a gamble, because they need to sign a solid backup BEFORE camp and before only scraps are left and what if Osgood DOES make the team our of camp, roll 3 goalies?! That makes no sense... also, groin injuries are no joke, ESPECIALLY for goalies...

just face the facts, it's time for him to hang them up... it's sad, but it's time and it's part of the game...

Also, you don't just give him Bedard's job, Bedard has done a great job with our goalies and doesn't deserve or need to be replaced... he could maybe work in some other capacity and eventually work his way into that role if Bedard moves on, but I honestly see Ozzie doing broadcasting more than anything...

I wasn't implying take away Bedard's job. I meant give him a shot starting out coaching in the lower levels and see if he has any potential (IF he even has any interest) with the future as a move up - BUT the idea of him broadcasting does sound pretty good. I remember the couple of times he was in the booth during his recovery period and was pretty good.

How do you figure? They give you the same offensive and defensive production. Or are you saying they are upgrades because they are substantially younger? The only upgrade would be Eaves. Draper and Miller have an extremely similar point per game pace, while Draper has been finishing with the higher +/- and still has one of the top 3 wheels on the team.

As I said, If we kept just one of the 3 I wouldn't care and I really have no preference. Miller is from MSU, Draper has the speed and faceoff ability and Eaves has the best shot. They all have assets and they are all 4th/3rd line tweeners.

Eaves is outright better than any of our other checkers offensively. Miller and Draper are pretty similar offensively, but Miller's defensive abilities are better than Draper's now. Draper still can hold the faceoff thing over their heads... but it's not worth keeping him around just for that when we have Dats, Z, Flip, Helm, Franzen, and Abdelkader who all were over 50% with over 100 draws last season. Add in Hudler and Emmerton as other natural centers on the roster and it's hard to say that faceoffs will be an issue for the Wings.

Realistically, Eaves probably has the skills to fit on a second line and not look too out of place, but he would look best on a third line. Of course, given the Wings' depth, that means fourth line; which IMHO should be Mursak/Helm/Eaves.

Okay, let me get this straight in my head. You don't want Ozzie and Drapes back because you think they are too old, but yet you want to sign Jagr??? Excuse me, but isn't that a little hypocritical???

This is a plural "you" by the by...not directed at any one person.

But I don't understand the thinking behind this.

I have a feeling that Nabby is going to resurface again, just a hunch but with Joey as good as gone and Ozzie not really in

any sort of situation to get a contract a trade with the isle could be on the cards. Maybe Nabby and Milan Jurcina for Hudler?

Okay, let me get this straight in my head. You don't want Ozzie and Drapes back because you think they are too old, but yet you want to sign Jagr??? Excuse me, but isn't that a little hypocritical???

This is a plural "you" by the by...not directed at any one person.

But I don't understand the thinking behind this.

Glad someone else realizes it, too. I'm tired of seeing us sign these old guys to one year contracts. This team needs to get younger. Don't get me wrong, a few veterans are essential for a team to compete for the Cup. I don't want Jagr here. I don't want Salei here. I don't want Modano here. I wouldn't mind too much if Osgood and Draper retired. Time to move on. We need to be looking at the future here. Sometimes I think we take the loyalty thing a little too far.