• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#21 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 07:56 AM

This news is very bittersweet, it is definitely time for both of them to hang them up, but it's very sad to see them go at the same time - They both should(will) get jobs within the organization and will always be Red Wings... they were true warriors over the years and Draper specifically has been one of the hardest working players to ever lace them up!

Thanks for all the great years, memories and cups!

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#22 P. Marlowe

P. Marlowe

4th Line Heel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 08:16 AM

great news! get lost, both of you.

Obvious Mindfly is obvious.

"Finger-pointing is easy. In some cases, even therapeutic. Fans need to blame something,

because the outcome is so frustratingly out of their control."
-- Mitch Albom

| Terry Sawchuk & Johnny Bower | | Extra Protection | | "Luckies never cut my wind." | | Straight to the Goal | | Dodging Traffic |
| Tom Waits - Get Behind the Mule | | Mikael Samuelsson Forever | | Mike Grier? |

#23 Vladifan

Vladifan

Legend

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 08:47 AM

Draper, Osgood possibly this year. Lidstrom hopefully not now, Holmstrom next year. All of the guys that have made this franchise what it is for two decades now are starting to go away. Not even bringing hockey into the equation, it is sad to see guys that have been a staple of this organization moving on.

It's all speculative still, but I just hope they ALL receive the proper appreciation when the time comes. Some of the short-sighted comments already are pathetic.

So far, this is the Statement of the Thread. :thumbup: Some posters will say almost anything (even that which makes them look like idiots) to get attention.

This news is very bittersweet, it is definitely time for both of them to hang them up, but it's very sad to see them go at the same time - They both should(will) get jobs within the organization and will always be Red Wings... they were true warriors over the years and Draper specifically has been one of the hardest working players to ever lace them up!

Thanks for all the great years, memories and cups!

:thumbup: :clap:

"He even ate with women who at that time were accorded the same status as the family donkey. Are we willing to break bread with, say, child sex slaves, transgender teens and undocumented workers? Because when Jesus comes back to Earth, that's where he'll be hanging."
You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.

#24 Krayzie_Bone

Krayzie_Bone

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 09:10 AM

great news! get lost, both of you.

wow really? Get a life you probably became a fan when the wings won in 08. Get lost.

#25 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 10:08 AM

As much as I hate to say it - I agree. Mostly because for the past 2 seasons he's been struggling with his injury and he has not played 1 game since the surgery. The Wings need to know they can depend on their back up. Yes we know that Ozzie is more than capable when healthy so that isn't an issue but the big question: is he 100%?

I think that MacDonald has proved himself a capable back up so if we can get him at a good price he's an option.

Macdonald will not be offered a contract in Detroit.

http://www.mlive.com....ions_made.html

Posted Image

#26 plopster

plopster

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 10:42 AM

I really think if Osgood says he is ready they should take his word for it. But this would be his last hoo-ra. I just don't think he wants to go out the way he did last year and wants to prove he can get it done one more time. As for Draper I don't see why he wouldn't be wanted. The guy played most of the season last year and played as hard as the young guys. He scored goals, killed penalties and won faceoffs. Really couldn't see why you would want him to retire. I figure Lids, Oz, Drapes and Holmer have one more year left in em. If Holland were so worried about Emmerton's potential, we would have seen him in more games last season. If you want to remove people, it should be the under achievers like Hudler. He just doesn't seem to work hard enough and expects others to make the plays. Combine that with Modano being gone and Kenny should be able to get it done with Draper and Osgood.
mccarty3

#27 The Secret

The Secret

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 10:48 AM

The time has come... sad to see some old war vets leave but its needed to move into the future or possibly lose some youth who have been training and waiting for this.

Thanks for everything but its time! Keep them both in the Org though!

#28 Hatethedrake!

Hatethedrake!

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 11:09 AM

Thanks for the memories Drapes and Ozzy but it's time to hang em up. 4 Cups for Drapes and 3 for Ozzy. Not bad. :thumbup:

Jordan Tootoo will wreck shop.

We need someone like Parise that can penetrate the box.-blueadams

#29 dragonballgtz

dragonballgtz

Yu-Gi-HOE

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,405 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 11:18 AM

I wouldn't re-sign Ozzie but I would re-sign Draper if possible. Helm and Draper seemed to work really good together.

#30 Pucks

Pucks

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 11:30 AM

Thank you sweet, little, tiny baby Jesus!

Edited by Pucks, 16 June 2011 - 11:30 AM.

Welcome to the playoffs....where the games get better and the officiating gets worse.

#31 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 11:33 AM

Broken link... I still hope he's brought in on a 2-way deal to play for GR...

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#32 xtrememachine1

xtrememachine1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 11:39 AM

I'm not sure why everyone was just penciling in MacDonald in as the backup. There were several games where he was absolutely awful. The last game he appeared in, for example, the 10-3 loss to the Blues. Granted the backup doesn't have to be the second coming of Patrick Roy, but if Howard gets seriously injured and we're relying on MacDonald for an extended period of time, the season's over. There's plenty of goalies out there that should be able to fill the back up goalie role.

Edited by xtrememachine1, 16 June 2011 - 11:40 AM.

#33 WizardOfOz30

WizardOfOz30

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,726 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 11:46 AM

Broken link... I still hope he's brought in on a 2-way deal to play for GR...

My link
He's not interested in a 2 way deal.

Posted Image

Thanks Offsides

"If I could sum up my career in Detroit, I was a perfect goalie for the team at the perfect time. I just wanted to be a Red Wing, that's it." Chris Osgood, July 19, 2011

#34 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 11:52 AM

I'd take Draper back as the 13th/14th forward, that way he won't take away time from the younger players and he'd be a perfect replacement for any injured player.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#35 Hockey13Playa

Hockey13Playa

Here's my card.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 11:54 AM

This is sad to see. Its hard to see players getting older and retiring after watching them thru the 90's. I've always been an Osgood fan, even though he has caused me many many frustrations throughout the past several years. I would like to see him back for another year as a backup for the right price (as long as he is 100% healthy) The guy is a world class player and has always expressed his interest and desire to play for the wings franchise. He is a cheap option for a back up goalie and will probably ask for a low salary anyways.

As for Draper I have always liked him too, and being the last piece of the grind line its sad to see him near the end of his career. I think he should definitely stick around and take a job in the front office. As far as him wanting to play another year I wouldn't mind it, as long as he doesn't plan to be a regular. Sign him to a cheap two-way contract and I would be fine with this. He's still strong on the face-off circle and would most certainly provide veteran leadership and act as a mentor to our younger players.

Posted Image

#36 CaliWingsNut

CaliWingsNut

PeeWee Bettman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 01:02 PM

http://www.freep.com...|text|FRONTPAGE

This should make a lot of Wings fans giddy.

I would just like to start by pointing out Lidstrom is over 40 too.......... (please! please! come back!)

I hate to see Drapes go. However, short of us trading away prospects to replace raffy, I don't see how he'll fit on the roster anymore.

Osgood.... umm... bye! Try not to let 3 goals in on your way out.
We need a backup that will accept a role as second, but will still give Jimmy a challenge to continue to improve.

Figures don't lie, but liars sure figure. - Mark Twain

#37 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,628 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 01:31 PM

I would just like to start by pointing out Lidstrom is over 40 too.......... (please! please! come back!)

I hate to see Drapes go. However, short of us trading away prospects to replace raffy, I don't see how he'll fit on the roster anymore.

Osgood.... umm... bye! Try not to let 3 goals in on your way out.
We need a backup that will accept a role as second, but will still give Jimmy a challenge to continue to improve.

I know right? This future Hall of Fame goalie totally blows. Him and his garbage 2.49 lifetime goals against average, 400 career regular season wins, .905 regular season save percentage, 2.09 playoff goals against, .916 playoff save percentage, 74 playoff wins, 15 playoff shutouts, and three Stanley Cup wins. What a buster! Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out Os-terrible...am I right...am I right?

If you don't want to see him re-signed I understand. Making dumb ass comments which suggest that he's a bad goalie, is...well...nevermind, perhaps the NBA is more your speed.

Note: I am way protective of Osgood considering so many people defy logic and want to talk s***. That being said, if you were only referencing his last two years when he wasn't really playing very well then I sincerely apologize for the overreaction. If, however, you were making disparaging remarks about a career that has been nothing less than stellar, you are dumb as hell.

Edited by kipwinger, 16 June 2011 - 01:43 PM.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#38 stinky fish taco

stinky fish taco

FEED ME NEGS

• Restricted
  • PipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 01:42 PM

Try not to let 3 goals in on your way out.

LOL

+1

Helm is a perennial Selke candidate

LOL

#39 CaliWingsNut

CaliWingsNut

PeeWee Bettman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 01:43 PM

I know right? This future Hall of Fame goalie totally blows. Him and his garbage 2.49 lifetime goals against average, 400 career regular season wins, .905 regular season save percentage, 2.09 playoff goals against, .916 playoff save percentage, 74 playoff wins, 15 playoff shutouts, and three Stanley Cup wins. What a buster! Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out Os-terrible...am I right...am I right?

If you don't want to see him re-signed I understand. Making dumb ass comments which suggest that he's a bad goalie, is...well...nevermind, perhaps the NBA is more your speed.

Way to compare his career to his current status.
2008-2009: 3.09 GAA
2009-2010: 3.02 GAA
No shutouts (regular season or playoff) in almost 2 years.

He very well could be a Hall of Fame Goalie, he has 400 wins which is great. However, he's done and has been done for 2 years.

Edited by CaliWingsNut, 16 June 2011 - 01:43 PM.

Figures don't lie, but liars sure figure. - Mark Twain

#40 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,628 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 01:45 PM

Way to compare his career to his current status.
2008-2009: 3.09 GAA
2009-2010: 3.02 GAA
No shutouts (regular season or playoff) in almost 2 years.

He very well could be a Hall of Fame Goalie, he has 400 wins which is great. However, he's done and has been done for 2 years.

See my note in the above statement, I realized you may be talking about only the last two years and corrected for it.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."