• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#61 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 12:32 PM

I hope that the Wings don't resign Osgood or Draper. Let's use that Cap and Roster space for someone else. Bring Emmerton up this coming season and go after a couple new free agents. Resign MacDonald or even a Free Agent Goalie or something Say bye to Miller and Eaves and let's go after some new blood; something that could give us a little spark on the roster to get the guys going and ready to chase another Cup.

A. You do NOT let Eaves get away, that would be a massive loss and a horrible mistake...
B. Holland has already stated that MacDonald will not be offered a contract

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#62 CaliWingsNut

CaliWingsNut

PeeWee Bettman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 12:34 PM

A. You do NOT let Eaves get away, that would be a massive loss and a horrible mistake...

Actually (unsure which thread) there was an article posted that Holland did offer a 2-way, but JMac insisted on a 1-way and therefore is looking elsewhere.

Edit: here it is...MLive

Edited by CaliWingsNut, 17 June 2011 - 12:51 PM.

Figures don't lie, but liars sure figure. - Mark Twain

#63 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 10:34 PM

I know I am one of the few, but Eaves is very replaceable. He finished the regular with 3 points in the final 23 games. He did have 3 points in the playoff, which was nice, but he is a guy who is replaceable, as is Miller. I'd love to re-sign Eaves, but not more than 950K a season. Hell, Miller had 2 less points, but is an excellent PK'er, while Eaves was a very good Pk'er. Either one would be fine for me, but I'd rather have Emmerton and just one of Miller/Eaves.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#64 #2WingsFan

#2WingsFan

Jr. Prospect

• 16 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 10:53 AM

Have loved both of these guys over the years. But, when you cant contribute to the team. Time to hang up the skates. Both would be assets to the front office in some capacity.

#65 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 11:33 AM

I know I am one of the few, but Eaves is very replaceable. He finished the regular with 3 points in the final 23 games. He did have 3 points in the playoff, which was nice, but he is a guy who is replaceable, as is Miller. I'd love to re-sign Eaves, but not more than 950K a season. Hell, Miller had 2 less points, but is an excellent PK'er, while Eaves was a very good Pk'er. Either one would be fine for me, but I'd rather have Emmerton and just one of Miller/Eaves.

Eaves and Miller are both upgrades over Draper. You won't find anyone who will do their job better any noticeably amount better than they do for their pay rate. Keeping both won't prevent Emmerton from being on the team, so long as Draper isn't. If both Miller and Eaves stay, Draper isn't necessary.

Pretty clear what the course of action should be regarding Draper, Miller, and Eaves.

"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#66 Never_Retire_Steve

Never_Retire_Steve

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,156 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 12:25 PM

Hope to see both of these guys gone by next year. Love them both but they do not contribute like they need to be on a nightly basis and there are players ready to take both of their roles.

#67 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 12:35 PM

Hope to see both of these guys gone by next year. Love them both but they do not contribute like they need to be on a nightly basis and there are players ready to take both of their roles.

Draper's role has already been taken, so I agree with you there.

As for Osgood... what goalie in the Wings system is ready? Sure as hell isn't McCollum or Pearce. If you're thinking Larsson, he's more likely to be traded than handed an NHL job by Holland. So why not say that half of the NHL should retire, as a good number of college players, AHL players, CHL players, or European players are ready to take their roles?

#68 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,260 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 05:48 PM

I like Ozzie and if it wasn't for all the recent injuries, he would be signed... Guess we shall see what happens...

Conks making a return?
D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#69 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 06:05 PM

Eaves and Miller are both upgrades over Draper. You won't find anyone who will do their job better any noticeably amount better than they do for their pay rate. Keeping both won't prevent Emmerton from being on the team, so long as Draper isn't. If both Miller and Eaves stay, Draper isn't necessary.

Pretty clear what the course of action should be regarding Draper, Miller, and Eaves.

How do you figure? They give you the same offensive and defensive production. Or are you saying they are upgrades because they are substantially younger? The only upgrade would be Eaves. Draper and Miller have an extremely similar point per game pace, while Draper has been finishing with the higher +/- and still has one of the top 3 wheels on the team.

As I said, If we kept just one of the 3 I wouldn't care and I really have no preference. Miller is from MSU, Draper has the speed and faceoff ability and Eaves has the best shot. They all have assets and they are all 4th/3rd line tweeners.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#70 OhioWing

OhioWing

Jr. Prospect

• 16 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 02:36 PM

That's too much of a gamble, because they need to sign a solid backup BEFORE camp and before only scraps are left and what if Osgood DOES make the team our of camp, roll 3 goalies?! That makes no sense... also, groin injuries are no joke, ESPECIALLY for goalies...

just face the facts, it's time for him to hang them up... it's sad, but it's time and it's part of the game...

Also, you don't just give him Bedard's job, Bedard has done a great job with our goalies and doesn't deserve or need to be replaced... he could maybe work in some other capacity and eventually work his way into that role if Bedard moves on, but I honestly see Ozzie doing broadcasting more than anything...

I wasn't implying take away Bedard's job. I meant give him a shot starting out coaching in the lower levels and see if he has any potential (IF he even has any interest) with the future as a move up - BUT the idea of him broadcasting does sound pretty good. I remember the couple of times he was in the booth during his recovery period and was pretty good.

#71 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 01:55 AM

How do you figure? They give you the same offensive and defensive production. Or are you saying they are upgrades because they are substantially younger? The only upgrade would be Eaves. Draper and Miller have an extremely similar point per game pace, while Draper has been finishing with the higher +/- and still has one of the top 3 wheels on the team.

As I said, If we kept just one of the 3 I wouldn't care and I really have no preference. Miller is from MSU, Draper has the speed and faceoff ability and Eaves has the best shot. They all have assets and they are all 4th/3rd line tweeners.

Eaves is outright better than any of our other checkers offensively. Miller and Draper are pretty similar offensively, but Miller's defensive abilities are better than Draper's now. Draper still can hold the faceoff thing over their heads... but it's not worth keeping him around just for that when we have Dats, Z, Flip, Helm, Franzen, and Abdelkader who all were over 50% with over 100 draws last season. Add in Hudler and Emmerton as other natural centers on the roster and it's hard to say that faceoffs will be an issue for the Wings.

Realistically, Eaves probably has the skills to fit on a second line and not look too out of place, but he would look best on a third line. Of course, given the Wings' depth, that means fourth line; which IMHO should be Mursak/Helm/Eaves.

#72 BostonBruinsDan1924

BostonBruinsDan1924

Rookie

• Pip
  • 178 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 08:29 AM

If Philly does ink Bryzgalov to a 5 year/$5.5M deal then 1 of Philly's goalies, or both, will end up on eBay at a great price. One option to replaceing Osgood lol.

#73 Kira

Kira

"I hope you're not from KGB"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,556 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 10:55 AM

Okay, let me get this straight in my head. You don't want Ozzie and Drapes back because you think they are too old, but yet you want to sign Jagr??? Excuse me, but isn't that a little hypocritical???

This is a plural "you" by the by...not directed at any one person.

But I don't understand the thinking behind this.
Posted Image

#74 Andy Pred 48

Andy Pred 48

Coming soon,"the slovak line" Marek and 2 Toms!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 11:04 AM

I have a feeling that Nabby is going to resurface again, just a hunch but with Joey as good as gone and Ozzie not really in
any sort of situation to get a contract a trade with the isle could be on the cards. Maybe Nabby and Milan Jurcina for Hudler?
"What are you guys doing?" Reggie Dunlop
"Putting on the foil coach" Jeff Hanson
"Yeah, every game, you want some coach?" Steve Hanson
"Er, no. No thanks guys." Reggie Dunlop
"Make sure they don't leave the bench!" Reggie Dunlop.

#75 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 11:06 AM

Okay, let me get this straight in my head. You don't want Ozzie and Drapes back because you think they are too old, but yet you want to sign Jagr??? Excuse me, but isn't that a little hypocritical???

Glad someone else realizes it, too. I'm tired of seeing us sign these old guys to one year contracts. This team needs to get younger. Don't get me wrong, a few veterans are essential for a team to compete for the Cup. I don't want Jagr here. I don't want Salei here. I don't want Modano here. I wouldn't mind too much if Osgood and Draper retired. Time to move on. We need to be looking at the future here. Sometimes I think we take the loyalty thing a little too far.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#76 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 11:10 AM

I have a feeling that Nabby is going to resurface again, just a hunch but with Joey as good as gone and Ozzie not really in
any sort of situation to get a contract a trade with the isle could be on the cards. Maybe Nabby and Milan Jurcina for Hudler?

Snow has already gone on the record of saying that he wants a high draft pick for Nabokov and furthermore, Jurcina for Hudler straight up might be a stretch at this point, let alone a 2 for 1...

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#77 WizardOfOz30

WizardOfOz30

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,726 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 12:06 PM

Glad someone else realizes it, too. I'm tired of seeing us sign these old guys to one year contracts. This team needs to get younger. Don't get me wrong, a few veterans are essential for a team to compete for the Cup. I don't want Jagr here. I don't want Salei here. I don't want Modano here. I wouldn't mind too much if Osgood and Draper retired. Time to move on. We need to be looking at the future here. Sometimes I think we take the loyalty thing a little too far.

Loyalty is one thing, but these one year signings of players that haven't been on the team is completely different. It's nice that these players want to come and play for the Wings before they end their career, but if we keep signing all these one year deals, we might miss out on someone younger that could benefit the team for years.

Posted Image

Thanks Offsides

"If I could sum up my career in Detroit, I was a perfect goalie for the team at the perfect time. I just wanted to be a Red Wing, that's it." Chris Osgood, July 19, 2011

#78 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 12:38 PM

Loyalty is one thing, but these one year signings of players that haven't been on the team is completely different. It's nice that these players want to come and play for the Wings before they end their career, but if we keep signing all these one year deals, we might miss out on someone younger that could benefit the team for years.

Exactly. I feel we should (especially this summer, since the cap space is available) look into a younger forward who will be a part of the future nucleus of this team (Brooks Laich), rather than continuously going after guys who will be a part of the team for a year and depart afterwards. To be fair, the pickins are slim this year, but I believe we can trade for a younger top 6 forward.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#79 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 11:43 PM

Draper's pretty much been told "no" by Holland as he's likely not top-12 next year, while the big thing Holland said about Osgood was is with regard to his injuries, not his age or performance. Jagr is similar age, but a much better player than either and Holland wouldn't likely spend more than $2m on him.

Snow has already gone on the record of saying that he wants a high draft pick for Nabokov and furthermore, Jurcina for Hudler straight up might be a stretch at this point, let alone a 2 for 1...

Hudler for Nabokov would be a bad deal for the Wings unless they get a pick back and/or need to clear the space to bring in an expensive UFA forward like Richards, or perhaps someone where space would have to be cleared via trade such as Parise - Flip or Franzen probably goes in the theoretical Parise deal, although NJ is more likely to trade someone else so they can keep him. As for Jurcina, I don't see why a 1-for-1 would be a bad deal. NYI gets a skilled forward capable of putting up big numbers given the opportunity. Jurcina was the #6 defenseman on the team last year, is 28, and most if not all of the defensemen from last year's Isles are returning, assuming they don't improve via UFA.

#80 Kira

Kira

"I hope you're not from KGB"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,556 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 11:38 AM

Draper's pretty much been told "no" by Holland as he's likely not top-12 next year, while the big thing Holland said about Osgood was is with regard to his injuries, not his age or performance. Jagr is similar age, but a much better player than either and Holland wouldn't likely spend more than $2m on him.

Forgive me my stupidity, but I don't think he's worth two cents, much less two mil. It still stinks of hypocrisy. If you want to lean towards a youth movement, be my guest, but then you don't turn around and sign a has-been like Jagr. I'm sorry, but I don't see the benefit of signing this yahoo. Why don't you talk Cheli out of retirement while you're at it - you'd at least get something for your money with him.
Posted Image