• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Donaldjr2448

Epic Boooing of Bettman

Rate this topic

After the Boston Bruins earned their first Stanley Cup in 39 years, the Commissioner of the NHL came on to the ice to present the Conn Smythe trophy. Before Bettman could reach the red carpet, the Boo's began raining down from the stands.

I have watched sports for over 25+ years and I have never heard Boo's like that for one person! I also have never laughed soooo loud in my life either.

I think we can all agree that Bettman totally deserves this, but I wonder if he got the message? If former players do not like him, and the fans; whats the point of staying at your current work place? I understand he is good for the owners, but I do not believe his best interest is in the game! I guess the better question would be, would the boo's have been as loud if Vancouver was being presented the Cup??? My guess is yes, but its hard to say!

Anyway, I could go on about different angles of this, but what is everyone else's thoughts????

Guest 13GoWings40

I thought it was hilarious, you could tell the crowd was getting to him by the tone of his voice. I doubt this will have any effect on his employment though, the owners all love him.

I felt bad for him. I don't care if someone dislikes the way he does his job, but booing him like that... Gets too personal.

Like someone said on the other thread: the Cup presentation isn't about Bettman, it's about the Cup and the winning team.

I don't like the way the guy runs the league, but I can't stand when he gets booed so monumentally each year. I cringe every time it happens.

After the Boston Bruins earned their first Stanley Cup in 39 years, the Commissioner of the NHL came on to the ice to present the Conn Smythe trophy. Before Bettman could reach the red carpet, the Boo's began raining down from the stands.

I have watched sports for over 25+ years and I have never heard Boo's like that for one person! I also have never laughed soooo loud in my life either.

I think we can all agree that Bettman totally deserves this, but I wonder if he got the message? If former players do not like him, and the fans; whats the point of staying at your current work place? I understand he is good for the owners, but I do not believe his best interest is in the game! I guess the better question would be, would the boo's have been as loud if Vancouver was being presented the Cup??? My guess is yes, but its hard to say!

Anyway, I could go on about different angles of this, but what is everyone else's thoughts????

It was pretty hilarious and I got a kick out of it like probably most others in here.

Unfortunately, his #1 job isn't supposed to cater to the fans directly. He basically has to keep the owners happy. They're happy first, he stays in a job. Catering to the fans obviously comes within the territory of making sure the owners are happy in some way/shape/form, but he reports to the owners.

I don't necessarily like it either, but they've liked the job he has done which is most important to his security, so I don't hear ramblings that he is leaving anytime soon.

Poor little guy tries to delude himself too. I've heard him say several times before that he gets just as many cheers as boos, but the boos just drown out the cheers, so it sounds like everyone is booing him.

Yeah right, Gary... You keep telling yourself that.

Guest CaliWingsNut

He got directly asked why he always gets boo'ed when presenting the cup on CNBC before the game.

http://video.cnbc.co...nNlYXJjaCI6IiJ9

It gets good at 2:45. However it's a pretty unsuccessful interview (by bettman) overall.

Edited by CaliWingsNut

That's happened every year for a long time, at least since the lockout. Some players don't even pause to take the picture with him, a la Rod Brind'amour in 2006.

I'll give it to you though. I think the fact that ALL the Vancouver fans are knowledgeable about how the league is run, it was SUPER loud. That plus the fact that they were pissed that they had lost, haha. There was also a "Bettman SUCKS!" chant that was very audible on the broadcast. Kind of ruins the moment, but pretty hilarious.

I felt bad for him. I don't care if someone dislikes the way he does his job, but booing him like that... Gets too personal.

Like someone said on the other thread: the Cup presentation isn't about Bettman, it's about the Cup and the winning team.

You're half right. I see what you're getting at, but that is the only way for fans to express their dislike of him. A letter writing campaign won't have any effect. But public embarrassment is about the only influence the fans can have. It's not like they're going to stop going to games just because they don't like him.

Boo him all you want, won't stop the fact he is the commisioner and will be for quite a while still. The owners love him (he makes them money) and the players love him (he keeps raising the keep which inflates player salaries).

You're half right. I see what you're getting at, but that is the only way for fans to express their dislike of him. A letter writing campaign won't have any effect. But public embarrassment is about the only influence the fans can have. It's not like they're going to stop going to games just because they don't like him.

Disagree, the booing has no effect. As long as the shareholders are happy and the game is growing, he couldn't care less about how the fans perceive him. Think about it, you're doing your job and absolutely crushing it for your shareholders. You're selling a product to customers but they all hate you, but they're still all buying it without prejudice. Would you care how they felt about you if the shareholders and the people who hired loved you and the job you were doing? I wouldn't.

Booing is pathetic unless you have a reason to have such hate for a guy. (zomg the league isn't the #1 sport he must suck so bad!)

We have an excuse with the way him and Ilitch have gone at it. They hate each other. What is Vancouver's excuse?

Booing is pathetic unless you have a reason to have such hate for a guy. (zomg the league isn't the #1 sport he must suck so bad!)

We have an excuse with the way him and Ilitch have gone at it. They hate each other. What is Vancouver's excuse?

He won't bring another NHL franchise to Canada...oh wait... I know!!! He's not Canadian!!!

I hate it. I realize the majority think he's done a bad job but I think this "tradition" hurts the cup presentation. It might be unpopular opinion but it just seems a little immature to me.

Agreed.

I'm by no means a Bettman fan, but it spoils part of what should be a great moment in handing out the Conn Smythe.

he is a lawyer. these species can tolerate humiliation hundred times worse than those boo's when their single paycheck read six-digit number.

Six-digit? Maybe a monthly six-digit paycheck.

Last years Executive salaries: My link

ept_sports_nhl_experts-381011267-1278965090.jpg?ymilQcDD17yfIogo

What happened between the Illitches and Bettman? Please inform me.

I know directly after the Pens won the cup Bettman went to go shake Illitch's hand and Illitch walked right past him and refused to shake hand. Bettman forget to congratulate the Wings on a good season (Now it is ceremonial for the commissioner to do so). But Ilitch is one of of Bettman's biggest supporters. Ilitch nominated him for President before Gil Stein was hired, and then Ilitch campaigned for Bettman to remain after the lockout.

Edited by Konnan511

Eh, the guy is good at running stuff from a business/law perspective and the owners are very pleased with the job he's done. I won't bother knocking his job if his employers are happy with his work.

However, towards fans, he's a condescending son of a ***** and he deserves to get treated just like he treats them with his awful personality. A shame it has to happen during the cup presentation; too bad he rarely shows his face elsewhere. But for good reason. He's just got no charisma at all.

Eh, the guy is good at running stuff from a business/law perspective and the owners are very pleased with the job he's done. I won't bother knocking his job if his employers are happy with his work.

However, towards fans, he's a condescending son of a ***** and he deserves to get treated just like he treats them with his awful personality. A shame it has to happen during the cup presentation; too bad he rarely shows his face elsewhere. But for good reason. He's just got no charisma at all.

If there was an awkward award, it'd be a toss up between Bettman, Big Cat (Fantasy Factory), and the Boom goes the dynamite guy.