• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Probie

Wild Firesale Could Mean Wings Benefit

Rate this topic

hm...interesting

We could make czech for a czech deal like Hudler+3rd for Zidlicky :yowza:

Zidlicky has a NMC. Also, he's 34 and makes more than $1m more than Hudler. Given the firesale and the NMC, if you place Hudler and a 3rd as Zidlicky's normal value, the 3rd can be removed. But he's not really any more expensive than guys like Burns, Schultz, or Barker. Just older.

The Wings would most likely end up with Barker if it were just Hudler being traded; Burns is the key of their defense, and Schultz is the #2 and signed for three more years while Barker turns RFA next summer.

Zidlicky has a NMC. Also, he's 34 and makes more than $1m more than Hudler. Given the firesale and the NMC, if you place Hudler and a 3rd as Zidlicky's normal value, the 3rd can be removed. But he's not really any more expensive than guys like Burns, Schultz, or Barker. Just older.

The Wings would most likely end up with Barker if it were just Hudler being traded; Burns is the key of their defense, and Schultz is the #2 and signed for three more years while Barker turns RFA next summer.

On the note of Schultz, I highly recommend watching him to anyone that hasn't really paid attention. His numbers will never catch your eye, but he's awesome to watch play defensively; I've followed him the last handful of years. Great defensive d-man, great character guy.

Guest Heaten

I don't see Wild selling their players off for Red Wings dead weight packaged with low picks when they can get more from other teams. I don't Holland would give up any picks anyhow.

It shouldn't, no. And fwiw I think Burns stays there, given the Wild tattoo he has on his back/etc.

dude got a wild tattoo on his back? that's a bit silly. hope for his skin's sake his career doesn't turn out like mike sillinge's.

Could be nice deal for both teams.The Wild need skilled forward and we need right handed PPQB and I could live with Zidlicky's $4 mil.per year for the next 2 season.

btw of course I would like to see Burns/Clutterbuck here,but trade for Zidlicky is more realistic

dude got a wild tattoo on his back? that's a bit silly. hope for his skin's sake his career doesn't turn out like mike sillinge's.

Well to be precise its not exactly a wild tattoo, he does have a tattoo that says he was drafted at (I can't remember his draft position offhand); plus that his back is full of tattoos of all sorts of wild animals and s***. It's pretty nuts.

Could be nice deal for both teams.The Wild need skilled forward and we need right handed PPQB and I could live with Zidlicky's $4 mil.per year for the next 2 season.

btw of course I would like to see Burns/Clutterbuck here,but trade for Zidlicky is more realistic

Zidlicky is more realistic, but still has a NMC so it's probably not happening.

If the Wings acquire one defenseman from Minnesota, I would place the chances as such:

Greg Zanon 50%

Cam Barker 20%

Nick Schultz 15%

Marek Zidlicky 10%

Brent Burns 5%

Edited by eva unit zero

Well written OP and agree with a lot of the content and would absolutely love to have Burns on this team but think of the following two points.

1) If I'm the Minnesota Wild and am looking to rebuild Brent Burns is not at the top of the list for moving players. In fact, he is probably #1 on the do not move list. He is relatively young and very solid and many aspects of the game. I agree that Minnesota should do something to rebuild but that makes me want to build around Burns and show him that they are serious about winning long term.

2) If I'm Brent Burns I probably love the prospect of joining the Red Wings. But, remember this... As much as Detroit is a sought after destination for many players it's not like there aren't other "hot" destinations out there. If I'm a sought after FA I want to test the waters and see what 5-8 teams that I want to go to offer me.

These are the reasons I don't see Burns going anywhere, especially this year. Next year might be a different story

You'd have to overpay to get Clutterbuck. He's a cult player and a fan favorite, they're not gonna give up on him easily even though he isn't anything THAT special.

1 hitter in the league who can score more than hudler? yeah it would be a decent price but totally worth it

Did you see at all what teams were getting at the trade deadline for crappy players?

^ This ^, and with the cap going up, crappy players are going to get more and more and thus demand more and more on the trade market.

Look at the signings and the trades since the Summer of Finger. I know he was the odd deal that was the most outrageous over payment. But since that summer what player wasn't overpaid for $$ or player in trade wise.

3rd liners are costing a lot, Burns would take at least two roster spots, a top 9 forward (more than likely a top 6 winger) and a top 4 dman to get. Not to mention probably a pick and a prospect.

Look at what Boston paid for Peverly **(Wheeler and Stuart) and Kelly (2nd round pick, not expensive, good deal, but I couldn't leave it out because it didn't help my argument) and Kaberle (2 first rounders*, and Colborne). Or just look at what Tor paid for Kessel!!!

* second one was conditional on them making scf or signing Kaberle.

**EDIT: Boston also got Valabik.

Detroit very rarely overspends, ROI is huge for this org, and shipping Mursak, Hudler, a pick, and anything else short of D or Z will not get this deal done.

UNLESS.. Fletcher is super desperate to build his own team, then maybe he lets them go cheap, but I doubt it highly. Remember there is always a Hossa err umm chance!

Edited by Opie

1 hitter in the league who can score more than hudler? yeah it would be a decent price but totally worth it

Overpaying is never worth it. The fact is he's like Lundqvist to Rangers. You'll never get a player like that with a reasonable price.

Burns is available. However, he is an inconstant player. He might turn that around or we might overpay to get someone who never turns into a top tier guy.

I never have been sold on Burns, but if Holland wants him he can get him and when Holland wants someone I am usually sold on him.

Overpaying is never worth it. The fact is he's like Lundqvist to Rangers. You'll never get a player like that with a reasonable price.

i never used the word overpay, it would take a lot to overpay for clutterbuck

crymson has shut me down on multiple occasions for suggesting a trade for burns. He claims that Burns will walk the next year when he becomes a UFA and that we shouldn't give up assets for a one year rental. I think he'd resign, but hell, crymson's opinion seems to be the only one that matters.

Nevertheless, I want him more than anything this offseason. really truly a rafalski replacement and potential to help with the transition for life after nic. Imagine having something like this for the next 5 or so years:

Kronwall - Burns

Smith - Wisniewski

Kindl/UFA - Stuart

Thats pretty bullet proof imo without nic (if smith is really the stud we think he is). I think its important to have at least one rookie in the D lineup all the time, as 1) helps with cap, 2) prevents us from getting old and keeps guys that know the system going. The only reason i write "Kindl/UFA" is that i doubt if we traded for Burns that kindl wouldn't be going the other way in a package.

Don't feel bad, Crymson shut me down for suggesting that the Wild were interested in possibly trading Burns this summer. Then I was also told by someone I didn't understand the business side of the NHL. I'm not sure where the litmus test is on this site to qualify to post something you read on reputable sources (not Ecklund) without being called stupid for suggesting it.

I do think Brent Burns would be a good addition to the Red Wings. It would be nice to think we could package one of our under achieving forwards with smaller cap hits than Burns (Hudler or Filppula) has to replace Rafalski. This would then allow them the money and roster spot to possibly add a top six forward to the lineup. To me, the question becomes whether or not you think Burns is better than any option on this year's UFA list (Wiesniewski, Bieksa, Pitkanen) and if it is worth trading now to get him or try to wait a year and hope someone else hasn't locked him up for the future. I don't know the answer, but it is a fun question to ask.

Guest Crymson

Don't feel bad, Crymson shut me down for suggesting that the Wild were interested in possibly trading Burns this summer. Then I was also told by someone I didn't understand the business side of the NHL. I'm not sure where the litmus test is on this site to qualify to post something you read on reputable sources (not Ecklund) without being called stupid for suggesting it.

I do think Brent Burns would be a good addition to the Red Wings. It would be nice to think we could package one of our under achieving forwards with smaller cap hits than Burns (Hudler or Filppula) has to replace Rafalski. This would then allow them the money and roster spot to possibly add a top six forward to the lineup. To me, the question becomes whether or not you think Burns is better than any option on this year's UFA list (Wiesniewski, Bieksa, Pitkanen) and if it is worth trading now to get him or try to wait a year and hope someone else hasn't locked him up for the future. I don't know the answer, but it is a fun question to ask.

My point was more along the lines of Minnesota being unwilling to trade him unless they received a very solid return. They're currently rebuilding, and he's effectively the franchise defenseman. If they were to let him go, they'd want some serious assets in return. Hudler and/or Filppula would not be enough.

As such, we'd be giving up numerous valuable assets for a player who might bolt at the end of the season. That's not a good idea.

My point was more along the lines of Minnesota being unwilling to trade him unless they received a very solid return. They're currently rebuilding, and he's effectively the franchise defenseman. If they were to let him go, they'd want some serious assets in return. Hudler and/or Filppula would not be enough.

As such, we'd be giving up numerous valuable assets for a player who might bolt at the end of the season. That's not a good idea.

Couldn't you make part of the trade conditional on him re-signing with us?

Hudler & Emmerton for Havlat and a 5th round pick.

Done.

I don't think he'd get along with Kronwall :lol:

kronwall.jpg