• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#61 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 10:20 PM

We need to draft a defenseman with the first pick this year, but I would trade next years pick.
"It is a lot easier to be an ******* to words than to people"-xkcd

Tootoo does NOT belong on this team. He is classless and I would rather see the Wings be bad than classless. I feel the same way about Bertuzzi as well, but he at least CAN make the team better. With Tootoo the team becomes worse and in danger of being classless. Would you have liked Claude on the team? Or Roy? No. So why would you be okay with that POS.

This thread has been closed due to emotions being higher than people's ability to read, interpret, and properly respond to simple posts.

#62 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,024 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 10:32 PM

We need to draft a defenseman with the first pick this year, but I would trade next years pick.

agreed. if we did do burns, it would HAVE to be after the 2011 draft due to his current contract. he cannot be moved before july 1 I believe. this would force us to trade next years first rounder.

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#63 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 11:32 PM

If by some miracle we were to trade for Burns, we could give up our first this year. Odds are in 10 years he'll still be better than anyone we could draft anyway.

But the only reason Minnesota could possibly have for trading Burns is fear they won't be able to sign him, and unless he's come out and told them he won't re-sign I doubt they'd be willing to mive him now unless they were getting someone around the same age and just as good or better, or maybe a top 10 pick plus extras. Most likely they'll keep trying to get him signed, maybe decide to move him at the deadline if they're not confident.

#64 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 02:27 AM

Jonas Brodin might be available, and could be just as good as Burns. Just saying.

Also with the possible need to trade Val and Hudler, we could get someone better still. I do not know.

Tootoo does NOT belong on this team. He is classless and I would rather see the Wings be bad than classless. I feel the same way about Bertuzzi as well, but he at least CAN make the team better. With Tootoo the team becomes worse and in danger of being classless. Would you have liked Claude on the team? Or Roy? No. So why would you be okay with that POS.

This thread has been closed due to emotions being higher than people's ability to read, interpret, and properly respond to simple posts.

#65 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 11:47 PM

Seeing the trade costs lately, my hope for such things has greatly diminished.

#66 Never_Retire_Steve

Never_Retire_Steve

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,156 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 12:30 AM

Can someone please explain a trade to me between Detroit and Minny that Minny would find beneficial that includes Burns? I'm just having trouble seeing one.

#67 SwedeLundin77

SwedeLundin77

Over the Line!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 01:15 AM

Can someone please explain a trade to me between Detroit and Minny that Minny would find beneficial that includes Burns? I'm just having trouble seeing one.

I honestly believe you just do not want Burns on this team... so you don't even look at any options. Filppula, Kindl, and a pick. There.

#68 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 08:27 AM

Big article today in our local newspaper here in Mankato MN on Brent Burns. Basically saying his future is up in the air. OMG if Kenny could somehow get him it would be amazing...

#69 Never_Retire_Steve

Never_Retire_Steve

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,156 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 08:34 AM

I honestly believe you just do not want Burns on this team... so you don't even look at any options. Filppula, Kindl, and a pick. There.

I would love Burns on the team. That trade isn't bad.

#70 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 09:17 AM

You really think that's the best deal Minny could get for Burns? And why would they want to trade him in the first place? Have there even been any rumors that he wants to leave?

#71 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 11:00 AM

Not good enough. Minnesota's biggest problem is scoring. Even their premier forward, Koivu, is not a scorer. Filppula can chip in some points, sure, but he's primarily a defensive player. Kindl may end up being very good, but there's no guarantee of them; and despite all his time in the AHL, last season wasn't very good for him. At this stage, he doesn't hold a candle to Burns, and he might never compare. The pick we can offer will, unless the team absolutely craps the bed and has a horrible season, be a late one in the first round, and so it won't be worth much more than a second-rounder.

We'd be offering that for a player who is essentially Minnesota's franchise defenseman, who can score, hit, is big, and plays fairly good defense, and who is young to boot. It won't happen. There's not a chance in hell they'd accept that deal.

#72 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 23,338 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 12:14 PM

Burns in a Wings uniform is intriguing.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#73 WorkingOvertime

WorkingOvertime

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 06:05 PM

Burns in play according to TSN.

#74 Reds4Life

Reds4Life

Red Wings

• Gold Booster
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 02:58 AM

Fracking Sharks. They look scary good right now.

#75 under_par_00

under_par_00

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 04:13 AM

Sharks look damn good, but they gave up quite a bit for Burns.

To Minn:
Devin Setoguchi
Charlie Coyle (1st rd pick last year, top prospect in their system)
28th Overall Pick

To SJS:
Brent Burns
2nd rd pick in 2012

Wings didn't have a chance at Burns. Minn wanted more offense. Wings would have had to trade Franzen + 1st pick + Tatar/Nyquist and even that might not have been good enough.

#76 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,611 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 08:51 AM

Don't see why people wanted Burns here so bad. Yeah, he would have been good, but people are acting like Holland passed up on the Second Coming of Lidstrom or something. He's just a good defenseman, there are others out there. The reality is, with the high cost of things, Holland will probably do more trading than free agent signing this off-season.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.