• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

robb himself

July 1st UFA Wish List

Rate this topic

I don't feel Zherdev is defensively responsible enough to play here. He is far too inconsistent offensively. If I remember correctly, there was a stretch where he was a healthy scratch for the Flyers this past season. He scored 22 points in 56 games last season. I don't feel he'd be a good investment, especially for his price tag.

Edited by Bring Back The Bruise Bros

I don't feel Zherdev is defensively responsible enough to play here. He is far too inconsistent offensively. If I remember correctly, there was a stretch where he was a healthy scratch for the Flyers this past season. He scored 22 points in 56 games last season. I don't feel he'd be a good investment, especially for his price tag.

He was playing 3rd and 4th line minutes last year.

FORWARDS

Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Tomas Holmstrom ($1.875m)

Jiri Hudler ($2.875m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Johan Franzen ($3.954m)

Todd Bertuzzi ($1.937m) / Brooks Laich ($3.500m) / Daniel Cleary ($2.800m)

Justin Abdelkader ($0.787m) / Darren Helm ($0.912m) / Patrick Eaves ($1.000m)

Cory Emmerton ($0.533m) / Jan Mursak ($0.550m)

DEFENSEMEN

Nicklas Lidstrom ($6.200m) / James Wisniewski ($4.750m)

Niklas Kronwall ($3.000m) / Brad Stuart ($3.750m)

Jan Hejda ($3.000m) / Anton Babchuk ($2.500m)

Jakub Kindl ($0.883m)

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($2.250m) / Brian Boucher ($0.950m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $64,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,792,044; BONUSES: $0

CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $207,956

Bieksa and a cheap vet or Janik in place of Hejda and Babchuk could work too, and probably gives a better opportunity to Kindl. I'm just not completely sold on the idea of Kindl as a regular. Honestly, I kind of hope we trade him. Not that I hate him or anything, I just don't want to keep him stuck as a 7 but I don't want to depend on him as a 6 either. With my guys, Babchuk takes Stuart's spot for the 2nd PP unit; Hejda comes in for Wis for the 2nd PK unit. All 6 guys would get close to 20 minutes.

I'm not in love with the forwards. I don't think any of the available FAs fit all that great with what we have. Cole, Upshall, Fiddler, and Jokinen would be other OK options, but nothing I'd get excited over. Laich I think would fit better next year assuming we part ways with Bert and Homer. I wouldn't even mind bringing back Miller in place of Laich if we had to pay more for the defense. Or even trade Emmerton and put Miller in his spot, then take a gamble on Zherdev or Jagr if they came cheap ($2M or less).

Moving Hudler is maybe an option, but I still don't like any of the forwards all that much. There's some 4th liners I like; Hall, McCormick, Winchester, Dwyer... Maybe sign a couple of those guys, then try to somehow weasel a true top 6 scorer out of a Hudler, Emmerton, Kindl, + picks package. Maybe add Flip in there and move Bert or Cleary up. But in that scenario the only option that would fit for me would be Carter. Trades are too tricky to think about...

Edited by Buppy

FORWARDS

Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Tomas Holmstrom ($1.875m)

Jiri Hudler ($2.875m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Johan Franzen ($3.954m)

Todd Bertuzzi ($1.937m) / Brooks Laich ($3.500m) / Daniel Cleary ($2.800m)

Justin Abdelkader ($0.787m) / Darren Helm ($0.912m) / Patrick Eaves ($1.000m)

DEFENSEMEN

Nicklas Lidstrom ($6.200m) / James Wisniewski ($4.750m)

Jan Hejda ($3.000m) / Anton Babchuk ($2.500m)

Jakub Kindl ($0.883m)

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($2.250m) / Brian Boucher ($0.950m)

SALARY CAP: $64,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,792,044; BONUSES: $0

Bieksa and a cheap vet or Janik in place of Hejda and Montador could work too, and probably gives a better opportunity to Kindl. I'm just not completely sold on the idea of Kindl as a regular. Honestly, I kind of hope we trade him. Not that I hate him or anything, I just don't want to keep him stuck as a 7 but I don't want to depend on him as a 6 either. With my guys, Babchuk takes Stuart's spot for the 2nd PP unit; Hejda comes in for Wis for the 2nd PK unit. All 6 guys would get close to 20 minutes.

I'm not in love with the forwards. I don't think any of the available FAs fit all that great with what we have. Cole, Upshall, Fiddler, and Jokinen would be other OK options, but nothing I'd get excited over. Laich I think would fit better next year assuming we part ways with Bert and Homer. I wouldn't even mind bringing back Miller in place of Laich if we had to pay more for the defense. Or even trade Emmerton and put Miller in his spot, then take a gamble on Zherdev or Jagr if they came cheap ($2M or less).

Moving Hudler is maybe an option, but I still don't like any of the forwards all that much. There's some 4th liners I like; Hall, McCormick, Winchester, Dwyer... Maybe sign a couple of those guys, then try to somehow weasel a true top 6 scorer out of a Hudler, Emmerton, Kindl, + picks package. Maybe add Flip in there and move Bert or Cleary up. But in that scenario the only option that would fit for me would be Carter. Trades are too tricky to think about...

Maybe 15 years ago Jagr would be okay with me. I'm not a fan of the idea of Zherdev, either. I think Scottie Upshall is a decent option. I'm not sure if he wants to stay in Columbus or not. As much as i'd like Laich (lol) here, there are too many teams that have tons of money to toss around for us to compete, in my opinion. I wouldn' be surprised if he went to Edmonton, he's got family in that area. The more I look at it, the more it seems Hudler may be dealt, especially with teams struggling to make the cap and looking for any hope of offense, they will be getting desperate. I like the idea of signing a 4th liner or two. If Matt Hendricks is available, we should definitely go after him. Extremely underrated. As far as defense goes, I'd like to see us let Salei go in favor of a younger, more physical guy like Matt Greene. James Wisniewski is my choice to replace Rafalski. Hopefully Ericsson bolts for more money elsewhere, and we can get a guy who plays physical on a regular basis and is less of a turnover machine.

Guest Crymson

He's also a giant ******, which is the chief reason Holland will never sign him.

The team needs cap space for call-ups.

For the last time, Holland WILL not sign Zherdev. Sure he can score 20+ goals, but he has a history of having a piss-poor attitude, taking games off, and his defense is lacking, to say the least.

That's three strikes against him right there. Three primary factors Holland will look for and he lacks them.

I have one thing to say to Zherdev:

And yes, I know, he's not dutch.

Guest Crymson

$200K is enough for Smith or Tatar to play ~15-20 games. If we need anything more than that we'd almost certainly be able to use LTIR.

The cap doesn't work that way. The cap hit is the player's salary prorated to how much of the season has already gone by. If we had only $200K cap space, then the team would have no way of calling up anyone from the AHL throughout most of the season (unless a player went on LTIR, and that means losing a player for ten games and 24 calendar days). This cap mechanic is why the Devils ended up playing with ten forwards in some early games last season while roster players (i.e. Rolston) were injured: they were too close to the cap.

The only way your logic would succeed were if Smith or Tatar to be called up late in the season.

Edited by Crymson

Since it's a wish list I say trade Hudler to Philly with a 3rd round pick this year and conditional 2nd/3rd round conditional pick next year(based on Hudler's point production and/or the Wings making it to the Finals) for Matt Carle and a 4th this year. Sign Brooks Laich to a 4 year $10 mill contract(he'll probly want more but I can dream can't I). Then sign Wisniewski and Pitkanen to 5 year $22.5 mill contracts. Then sign Hedberg to a 1 year $1.5 mill contract to replace Osgood.

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS

Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Tomas Holmstrom ($1.875m)

Brooks Laich ($2.500m) / Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Johan Franzen ($3.954m)

Daniel Cleary ($2.800m) / Darren Helm ($0.912m) / Todd Bertuzzi ($1.937m)

Patrick Eaves ($1.000m) / Justin Abdelkader ($0.787m) / Drew Miller ($0.800m)

DEFENSEMEN

Nicklas Lidstrom ($6.200m) / James Wisniewski ($4.500m)

Niklas Kronwall ($3.000m) / Matt Carle ($3.437m)

Brad Stuart ($3.750m) / Joni Pitkanen ($4.500m)

Jakub Kindl ($0.883m)

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($2.250m) / Johan Hedberg ($1.500m)

SALARY CAP: $64,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,454,544; BONUSES: $0

CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $545,456

The cap doesn't work that way. The cap hit is the player's salary prorated to how much of the season has already gone by. If we had only $200K cap space, then the team would have no way of calling up anyone from the AHL throughout most of the season (unless a player went on LTIR, and that means losing a player for ten games and 24 calendar days). This cap mechanic is why the Devils ended up playing with ten forwards in some early games last season while roster players (i.e. Rolston) were injured: they were too close to the cap.

The only way your logic would succeed were if Smith or Tatar to be called up late in the season.

I'm aware of how the cap works. I'm also aware that Smith and Tatar both make under $900K in the NHL. Thus we would need only 5 days to pass without calling anyone up before we could call one of them up for one day. And for every 5 days without a call up we could have one of those guys for a day.

Sure, there's some risk being that close. But it's also a 23 man roster, so we'd need 4 skaters (or a goalie) injured before we even need a call-up. And honestly, what would it really matter if we did have to play a few games here and there with a short roster. Really no different than someone getting hurt during a game.

So, small risk of being slightly handicapped for a meaningless game or 3 and a better roster while healthy. I'll take that.

Cap space is based on a pro-rated number; days of the season (not games) spent on the roster divided by days in the season. New Jersey's problem was roster space; a lot of their guys were "not that hurt" so they would be out a few games, but not ten games. Putting them on LTIR means they have to be out a minimum of ten games and 24 days, which wasn't going to happen. Dropping all of these key players for several later games to have one more skater in a different game doesn't make sense.

Smith makes $875k, so he could play maybe 18-20 games depending on the number of days off. Tatar at $840k is pretty close to that also. So between 18-21 games combined for the two. Pyett makes $850k, so add him there.

That's not how it works...

what's all the love for brooks laich?

I can only s peak for myself but he's attainable, can provide offensive production and is widely regarded as a great locker room guy and a leader.

Plus, he grows a mean beard and has a cool name. :cool:

2011-2012 Stanley cup winning team right here. Perfect balance.

Traded Hudler to NYR for Prust. They took the trade cause they need scoring.

Defense improved with Brewer and Lilja

PK improved with Madden and Prust

Offense improved with Zherdev/Jagr

Checking line improved with Prust

FORWARDS

Tomas Holmstrom ($1.875m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Johan Franzen ($3.954m)

Todd Bertuzzi ($1.937m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Nikolai Zherdev or Jagr ($2.000m)

John Madden ($1.050m) / Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Daniel Cleary ($2.800m)

Justin Abdelkader ($0.787m) / Darren Helm ($0.912m) / Brandon Prust ($0.800m)

Cory Emmerton ($0.533m) / / Jan Mursak ($0.550m)

DEFENSEMEN

Nicklas Lidstrom ($6.200m) / James Wisniewski ($4.000m)

Eric Brewer ($4.250m) / Andreas Lilja ($0.750m)

/ Jakub Kindl ($0.883m)

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($2.250m) / Ty Conklin ($1.250m)

SALARY CAP: $59,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $59,317,044; BONUSES: $0

CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $82,956

Edited by brett

FORWARDS

Todd Bertuzzi ($1.937m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Nikolai Zherdev or Jagr ($2.000m)

DEFENSEMEN

/ Jakub Kindl ($0.883m)

GOALTENDERS

If Holland signs Wiz for $4M, I will hang giant portraits of Kenny in every room of my house and bow to him whenever I enter or exit a room.

FORWARDS

DEFENSEMEN

/ Jakub Kindl ($0.883m)

GOALTENDERS

I don't see us letting Eaves walk. As much as i'd love to have Prust here, the Rangers would be silly to trade him away. John Madden has already stated he will retire if Minnesota doesn't want him back next year. His family lives in Minnesota. I'm hoping we stay away from Zherdev and Jagr, possibly Kenny could possibly acquire a top 6 guy via trade? Not likely, though. I think Matt Greene would be a great fit here. A local Michigan kid, fits the bill for a young shut-down defenseman. Won't be looking for a ton of money. Jim Vandermeer comes to mind as another shut-down defenseman, at the right price of course.

Edited by Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Well, we got Lids re-signed, so all that is left for me is:

Jaromir Jagr ($2M seems like a no brainer gamble)

Drew Miller ( 2yrs, $850,000 per)

Patrick Eaves (2yrs $950,00 per)

James Wisniewski ($4M would be great, but I am think more close to $5M per for 5 years)

Steve Montador (1yr $2M)

Ed Jovanovski (1yr $3M)

Joe Goalie (possibly Nabokov in a deal for Hudler/pick)