• Please log in to reply
165 replies to this topic

#141 Datsyerberger

Datsyerberger

"Dat's yer burger, Hank."

• HoF Booster
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 08:30 PM

@ The above quoted roster, Ericsson won't get near that little.

The numbers may not be exact for Ehrhoff and Wiz, but the average puts them at $5.1m, which seems about right.

Laich will get anywhere from .5-1.25m more than that, so add in a medium at .8 or so (putting him at 4.3)

So Laich at 4.3, Ericsson at 1.9, seems a bit more accurate.

Boosh is a solid backup.

The above, more likely numbers for Laich and Ericsson still fit under the cap in that scenario and still leave us extra, potentially for a deadline deal.

Edit: You don't want Laich at center. Much more effective at LW. Let him take faceoffs if needed (good at faceoffs) and that's it.

Here, submitted corrections in quote format:

Jiri Hudler ($2.88M) – Pavel Datsyuk ($6.7M) – Johan Franzen ($3.95M)
Brooks Laich ($4.3M) – Henrik Zetterberg ($6M) – Todd Bertuzzi ($1.93M)
Tomas Holmstrom($1.88M) – Valtteri Filppula ($3M) – Dan Cleary ($2.8M)
Justin Abdelkader ($0.8M) – Darren Helm ($0.9M) – Patrick Eaves ($1M)
Mursak ($0.55M) – Emmerton ($0.53M)

DEFENSEMEN:
Nicklas Lidstrom ($6.2M) – Christian Ehrhoff ($5.3M)
Niklas Kronwall ($3M) – James Wisniewski ($4.7M)
Brad Stuart ($3.75M) – Jonathan Ericsson ($1.9M)
Kindl ($0.88M)

GOALTENDERS:
Jimmy Howard ($2.25M)
Brian Boucher ($1M)

Every line has 2 good options for taking draws (Datsyuk Franzen [Hudler]; Zetterberg Laich; Filppula Cleary; Abdelkader Helm) which should make the DRW a beast on draws. I wouldn't necessarily those lines exactly, but I think that basic build (2 faceoff guys, at least 1 playmaker and 1 banger on each of the top 9 lines) makes a lot more sense given the players involved. Plenty of potential to mix and match all lines.

I'd like to note I really like to see these lines in some situations:

Laich - Zetterberg - Cleary -- Amazing shutdown line with plenty of offense
Hudler - Datsyuk - Franzen -- Load the offensive guns
Bertuzzi - Flip - Holmstrom -- Flip gains zone, Bert and Homer make aggravating traffic/front of net threats for a 3rd line
Abdelkader/Mursak - Helm - Eaves/Abdelkader -- Go out and hit/outskate the already worn out opposition

Edited by Datsyerberger, 27 June 2011 - 08:44 PM.

If some bored artist wants to make me a signature, feel free to cut loose and do so.

Of course, I could get off my lame rear and do something.

#142 barabbas16

barabbas16

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 08:43 PM

Ok... 7/1 is taking too long to get here and I'm tired of waiting, so here goes....

Henrik Zetterberg ($6,083,333)/Pavel Datsyuk ($6,700,000)/Tomas Holmstrom ($1,875,000)
Johan Franzen ($3,954,545)/Brooks Laich ($3,500,000)/Dan Cleary ($2,800,000)
Scottie Upshall ($3,000,000)/Valtteri Filppula ($3,000,000)/Todd Bertuzzi ($1,937,500)
Jiri Hudler ($2,875,000)/Darren Helm ($912,500)/Justin Abdelkader ($787,500)
Jan Mursak ($550,000)

Nick Lidstrom ($6,200,000)/Brad Stuart ($3,750,000)
Niklas Kronwall ($3,000,000)/James Wisniewki ($4,500,000)
Ian White ($3,500,000)/Andreas Lilja ($750,000)
Jakub Kindl ($833,333)

Jim Howard ($2,250,000)
Osgood/Conklin ($750,000)

Total - $63,558,711

I like adding White and Wisniewski for the right-handed shots on the power play. Not sure if Lilja will humbly return, but I always liked the guy as a solid 3rd pairing defensive defenseman. I just don't trust Kindl yet to pencil him into the 6th D-man spot... so he'll have to earn it by proving he adds more to the team than Lilja. I wanted to put Richards in there, but I just don't see it happening. I like Laich and Upshall, though, and I think this is a tough, balanced squad.

#143 Datsyerberger

Datsyerberger

• HoF Booster
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 08:47 PM

Ok... 7/1 is taking too long to get here and I'm tired of waiting, so here goes....

Henrik Zetterberg ($6,083,333)/Pavel Datsyuk ($6,700,000)/Tomas Holmstrom ($1,875,000)
Johan Franzen ($3,954,545)/1Brooks Laich ($3,500,000)/Dan Cleary ($2,800,000)
2Scottie Upshall ($3,000,000)/Valtteri Filppula ($3,000,000)/Todd Bertuzzi ($1,937,500)
Jiri Hudler ($2,875,000)/Darren Helm ($912,500)/Justin Abdelkader ($787,500)
Jan Mursak ($550,000)

Nick Lidstrom ($6,200,000)/Brad Stuart ($3,750,000)
Niklas Kronwall ($3,000,000)/3James Wisniewki ($4,500,000)
4Ian White ($3,500,000)/5Andreas Lilja ($750,000)
Jakub Kindl ($833,333)

Jim Howard ($2,250,000)
6Osgood/Conklin ($750,000)

Total - $63,558,711

Realistic Contract Assessment®

1. No: considerably off
2. Yes: Maybe slight overpayment, but I'd live with it anyhow
3. No: Too little by a small/moderate amount
4. Yes: Maybe slight overpayment, but market value
5. Yes
6. Yes

4/6 isn't bad, really.
If some bored artist wants to make me a signature, feel free to cut loose and do so.

#144 barabbas16

barabbas16

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 08:55 PM

Realistic Contract Assessment®

1. No: considerably off
2. Yes: Maybe slight overpayment, but I'd live with it anyhow
3. No: Too little by a small/moderate amount
4. Yes: Maybe slight overpayment, but market value
5. Yes
6. Yes

4/6 isn't bad, really.

Wow. Sorry.

#145 Datsyerberger

Datsyerberger

• HoF Booster
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 09:00 PM

Wow. Sorry.

Really, you can be realistic with the contracts of said players and fit under the cap:

Ian White: 3.3 -- still overpayment, his play doesn't really warrant a raise, but he'll get one anyhow in this market
Upshall: 3.0 -- Fine with me, someone's gonna have to pay 2.5-3m to get him imo
Laich: 4.3, I'll use my above example and say 4.3, could be anywhere from 4-4.5. A desperate team may even toss him a touch more.
Conklin/Osgood: Probably more like .6 at this point; Conklin had a crap season and Osgood has been unhealthy
Lilja: Previous value fine
Wisniewski: 4.7-5.1, somewhere in that range. I'd say 4.7 or 4.8

Still works under the cap with appropriate adjustments.

#146 barabbas16

barabbas16

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 09:02 PM

What is Laich going to get? 4.5? Not sure I would want him for that much....

#147 Datsyerberger

Datsyerberger

• HoF Booster
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 09:07 PM

What is Laich going to get? 4.5? Not sure I would want him for that much....

Wild card, but likely no less than 4. I could see anything up to 4.75-5 being offered by a desperate team, but it may not be a team/location he wants to go to. I think somewhere between 4.2-4.5 is probably the most likely range, depending on length of contract and so on.

He's a valuable commodity. Essentially Cleary with more offense and less injuries. Toss in the fact that Cleary is currently underpaid, the cap is up, and an overpayer's market, and Laich is going to make a solid pile.

#148 barabbas16

barabbas16

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 09:08 PM

Really, you can be realistic with the contracts of said players and fit under the cap:

Ian White: 3.3 -- still overpayment, his play doesn't really warrant a raise, but he'll get one anyhow in this market
Upshall: 3.0 -- Fine with me, someone's gonna have to pay 2.5-3m to get him imo
Laich: 4.3, I'll use my above example and say 4.3, could be anywhere from 4-4.5. A desperate team may even toss him a touch more.
Conklin/Osgood: Probably more like .6 at this point; Conklin had a crap season and Osgood has been unhealthy
Lilja: Previous value fine
Wisniewski: 4.7-5.1, somewhere in that range. I'd say 4.7 or 4.8

Still works under the cap with appropriate adjustments.

Hmm... I guess I didn't think of Laich as quite THAT good of an addition. It seems like an overpayment, but I'm guessing it's just because of the market.

#149 Datsyerberger

Datsyerberger

• HoF Booster
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 09:12 PM

Hmm... I guess I didn't think of Laich as quite THAT good of an addition. It seems like an overpayment, but I'm guessing it's just because of the market.

Yep.. the market, the increased cap, and the overall level of play Laich brings. He's got everything:

Quality 2nd line offense that can sub in on 1st line.
Solid amount of grit
Solid 2-way play
Loads of character
Faceoffs
Great PK
Solid net presence
Hard worker
Consistent (for a 2nd liner)

Everything a team wants in a player, a perfect second liner.

#150 Datsyerberger

Datsyerberger

• HoF Booster
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 09:17 PM

Another option people haven't talked about here enough is Ryder.

Advantages over Laich:

A little cheaper
Better shot
Possibly better footspeed
Right wing & righty shot
Better at finding offensive holes to move into

Disadvantages:

Not as gritty
Not as good 2-way (Still a decent 2-way player)
Arguably less consistent, negating some of his greater offensive talent
Not quite as much of an all-round game
A couple years older

#151 barabbas16

barabbas16

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 09:19 PM

Wild card, but likely no less than 4. I could see anything up to 4.75-5 being offered by a desperate team, but it may not be a team/location he wants to go to. I think somewhere between 4.2-4.5 is probably the most likely range, depending on length of contract and so on.

He's a valuable commodity. Essentially Cleary with more offense and less injuries. Toss in the fact that Cleary is currently underpaid, the cap is up, and an overpayer's market, and Laich is going to make a solid pile.

You're very convincing. If that ends up being the case, I guess I would go with someone else in that spot for less.... J. Jokinen maybe..... or maybe roll the dice that Connolly can stay healthy or that Vrbata can play decent hockey outside of Phoenix.

#152 luvmnger

luvmnger

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 09:25 PM

bieksa just set the bar at 4.5mil.
that would put erhoff and wiz under...say 3.9 - 4.3ish.

i am no cap cruncher...but if we overpay, this will set kron and stu in motion for even more next year.

i trust holland....but his stock is falling a bit.
make us proud kenny!

BTW...steve sullivan is a UFA as of today.
hmmmmm.
Dino Ciccarelli will always be #1

#153 Datsyerberger

Datsyerberger

• HoF Booster
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 09:27 PM

You're very convincing. If that ends up being the case, I guess I would go with someone else in that spot for less.... J. Jokinen maybe..... or maybe roll the dice that Connolly can stay healthy or that Vrbata can play decent hockey outside of Phoenix.

See Ryder above. Probably the best option outside of Laich. The best budget option for the Wings is probably Upshall. He gives us enough offense (~20g) to fill in as a 3rd scoring line sort of role and simultaneously provides us with a lot more grit. Obtainable around 3.0 as you posted. Laich, say 4-4.5, Ryder, anywhere from 3.5-4.2. Jokinen is a nice piece but imo he gives us more of the same; I like Connolly, but he plays an already stacked position for us and is again more of the same. Also injuries as you noted. Vrbata is a wild card but one I could live with if we're looking for a forward and some of the above aren't available.

bieksa just set the bar at 4.5mil.
that would put erhoff and wiz under...say 3.9 - 4.3ish.

That sets the bar high, actually. Both Wiz and Ehrhoff bring more offense than Bieksa, both can run or play on a 1st PP unit, and ultimately, offense pays. Expect both to get more than Bieksa unless they take a discount somewhere.

Edited by Datsyerberger, 27 June 2011 - 09:28 PM.

#154 barabbas16

barabbas16

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 09:40 PM

See Ryder above. Probably the best option outside of Laich. The best budget option for the Wings is probably Upshall. He gives us enough offense (~20g) to fill in as a 3rd scoring line sort of role and simultaneously provides us with a lot more grit. Obtainable around 3.0 as you posted. Laich, say 4-4.5, Ryder, anywhere from 3.5-4.2. Jokinen is a nice piece but imo he gives us more of the same; I like Connolly, but he plays an already stacked position for us and is again more of the same. Also injuries as you noted. Vrbata is a wild card but one I could live with if we're looking for a forward and some of the above aren't available.

That sets the bar high, actually. Both Wiz and Ehrhoff bring more offense than Bieksa, both can run or play on a 1st PP unit, and ultimately, offense pays. Expect both to get more than Bieksa unless they take a discount somewhere.

I'm with you. I was trying to (in my scenario) add some grit and scoring up front. I liked both Eaves and Miller, but I wanted to fill those spots with some more well rounded guys. Unfortunately, the grit/scoring potential combination sort of seems to end after those two guys. I don't like overpaying for anyone, though. I don't think Detroit is in a position where they need to do that (at least, not at forward).

#155 Datsyerberger

Datsyerberger

• HoF Booster
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 09:45 PM

I'm with you. I was trying to (in my scenario) add some grit and scoring up front. I liked both Eaves and Miller, but I wanted to fill those spots with some more well rounded guys. Unfortunately, the grit/scoring potential combination sort of seems to end after those two guys. I don't like overpaying for anyone, though. I don't think Detroit is in a position where they need to do that (at least, not at forward).

For another D option, by-the-by, Babchuk is a very underrated option.

Upsides:

1. Great shot
2. Great shotblocker
3. Lots of size
4. Good skating for his size
5. Good vision, somewhere between Bieksa and Wiz offensively
6. Fierce competitor

Downsides:

1. Aside from shot blocking, not particularly gritty or physical
2. Lackluster D coverage (still not any worse than Wiz, and better than Ehrhoff due to his shotblocking imo)
3. Inconsistency
4. Attitude; not a prima donna, but his fierce sense of competiveness does end up working against him sometime.

He'll be cheaper than Wiz or Ehrhoff and imo surprise the fans of any team that picks him up.

#156 Bryguy

Bryguy

Zata

• PipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 09:12 AM

No more laich, stays with caps 6yrs 27mil.

#157 pucktividi

pucktividi

the usual suspect

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 09:22 AM

No more laich, stays with caps 6yrs 27mil.

damn...another one's bites the dust

http://capitals.nhl....s.htm?id=567512

#158 robb himself

robb himself

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 11:53 AM

The Wild are putting Cam Barker on waivers today and plan to buy him out if he clears...
I think he would be a good replacement for Ericsson if he is wanting too much cash.
what do you guys think?

take him off waivers with a 3 mill cap hit?

wait for him to get bought out?

dont even consider him?
be about it!

#159 kingzetter

kingzetter

Prospect

• 38 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 11:59 AM

This one is going to make people laugh...

Eklund, the town moron, is actually suggesting that Detroit will try to steal Stamkos via offer sheet from Yzerman...

:blink: :blink: :blink:

Holy s***, the guy needs to be committed.

Pretty sure he writing from his padded room

#160 kingzetter

kingzetter

Prospect

• 38 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 12:07 PM

Think its funny everyone has assumed wiz is done deal...not really all that impressive