• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

vladdy16

Lidstrom agrees to 1-year, $6.2m contract

Rate this topic

I won't be too upset if he didn't, but I really hope that he took a paycut to give Holland an abundance of cap to work with, seeing that this is his last season (more than likely).

We'll see... Lidstrom 1 Year, 4.75 million cap hit, maybe with incentives?

:nonono:

Yeah, I am with you NFM. I dont understand why people always want superstars to take paycuts because they have been in one place for a long time. Lids has given us everything. Hes still competing for the Norris. Find 5 other defensemen that can put up 60 points. Pay cut? Why? Because he is not 26 anymore? I simply dont get it. Lids is worth whatever Holland will pay him. We should count our lucky stars that he is and has been on our team. With once-in-a-generation players it doesnt matter about money.

Guest 13GoWings40

Best news of the offseason so far! Now everyone needs to start getting on Nick about a contract for 2012-13........

Yeah, I am with you NFM. I dont understand why people always want superstars to take paycuts because they have been in one place for a long time. Lids has given us everything. Hes still competing for the Norris. Find 5 other defensemen that can put up 60 points. Pay cut? Why? Because he is not 26 anymore? I simply dont get it. Lids is worth whatever Holland will pay him. We should count our lucky stars that he is and has been on our team. With once-in-a-generation players it doesnt matter about money.

The fact that you basically just assumed that I wrote that in relation to the fact that he's been here forever is ridiculous. Next time actually read my post and realize the reasoning behind it. It's beend one in the past, players have deferred salary or taken less so that a better team could be contructed. This is more than likely Lidstrom's last season, so it's not unthinkable that he may take a little less to help his team put an even better team out there to compete for the Cup (one last time - for Lids).

Is it going to happen, more than likely not, but again if you read my post and truly understood it, you would have seen where I wrote that I didn't have a problem if he didn't take a cut. You may also note that I was thinking a cut of 1.45 million, which if you were to include incentives, he more than likely would still take home the same amount of money. And the difference would then count against next years cap.

By bickering, do you mean asking to be paid something that isn't an absolute insult to a player of his calibre?

So you're saying that 4.75 is an insult to a player of his calliber with incentives that would more than likely put it up to 6.2-6.5?

Seriously?

And where did this sense of bickering come in? I clearly stated that I had no problem either way, but I wanted to throw it out there for conversations sake. Tell me how that is considered "bickering?" Haha.

Edited by SwedeLundin77

By bickering, do you mean asking to be paid something that isn't an absolute insult to a player of his calibre?

by bickering, i mean lets not have a 20 page thread involving people saying: hes overpaid, or should have taken a bigger discount for the team. stuff like that. Lets all just be happy that the greatest defenseman ?ever? playing for our red wings for another year

The fact that you basically just assumed that I wrote that in relation to the fact that he's been here forever is ridiculous. Next time actually read my post and realize the reasoning behind it. It's beend one in the past, players have deferred salary or taken less so that a better team could be contructed. This is more than likely Lidstrom's last season, so it's not unthinkable that he may take a little less to help his team put an even better team out there to compete for the Cup (one last time - for Lids).

Is it going to happen, more than likely not, but again if you read my post and truly understood it, you would have seen where I wrote that I didn't have a problem if he didn't take a cut. You may also note that I was thinking a cut of 1.45 million, which if you were to include incentives, he more than likely would still take home the same amount of money. And the difference would then count against next years cap.

I know this reply was directed at swedishconnection, but I have some thoughts.

The problem with taking an incentive-laden contract is that Lids likely hits all them anyway, unless Kenny an Co. made them outrageous, which in that case...why would Lids even accept them.

As for taking a paycut, Lids took one last year likely not only to help his team bring in more talent, but also given his poor showing based on his standard of play. Now, even though he again played Norris caliber hockey this year, I still think he'll take a modest cut (I.E. $5.75-$6M), which is all any of us should even expect and most certainly something for which we should be thankful, not something he should be criticized for if he doesn't (not directed at you SwedeLundin77).

by bickering, i mean lets not have a 20 page thread involving people saying: hes overpaid, or should have taken a bigger discount for the team. stuff like that. Lets all just be happy that the greatest defenseman ?ever? playing for our red wings for another year

For the record, I am completely happy and thankful that he is returning for one more. I could care less if he makes the same, more, or less. I just presented an idea of "what if" he took a little less? It's not bickering, it's a thought. I even stated in my post that I wouldn't have a problem either way.

For the record, I am completely happy and thankful that he is returning for one more. I could care less if he makes the same, more, or less. I just presented an idea of "what if" he took a little less? It's not bickering, it's a thought. I even stated in my post that I wouldn't have a problem either way.

I'm not saying you intended to start one, or were apart of it last year. I just remember there being a huge thread about it last year and it made me post a pretty good sized rant about how frustrated some people on here were making me. I dont want to go through that again

I don't think there is anything to watch, it's just a conference call announcing the deal. I haven't seen any links to listen in, yet.

It probably wont be much of an announcement. We already know what we need to. HES BACK!!