• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

vladdy16

Lidstrom agrees to 1-year, $6.2m contract

Rate this topic

Nah, I'm thinking more along the lines of he's 41, he's in his last year, lets take a slight discount (heck, $5.5 mil, what a slap in the face......) to give me the absolute BEST chance of having the perfect send off.

It appears gaining that every last bit of money takes priority over building the best possible team.

The team's success isn't going to hinge on 1 million dollars here or there.

It appears that Lidstrom is getting his fair share for the reasons I listed, and there is no reason to call him selfish for it.

$6.2 is fine ... salary cap is going up, Ralfalski's $6 mill is off our cap ... you can't pay him 2nd tier D-man money like $4-5 mill, he deserves the kind of respect of a top tier Dman and Captain. Those of you who thinks he should pay for free .. stop being so cheap. We want to be a classy organization.

Ah I see, so he needs more money to get greater respect?

Wow, it seems I really overestimated Lidstrom's will to win.

$5.5 mil is playing for free? :lol: Good one buddy.

The team's success isn't going to hinge on 1 million dollars here or there.

It appears that Lidstrom is getting his fair share for the reasons I listed, and there is no reason to call him selfish for it.

There's certainly no reason to think he goes beyond the call of duty for his team either.

This will make recruiting Rafalski's replacement easier... "hey-- wanna play with Lidstrom?".

Got that right. Too bad the FA pickings are so slim.

There's certainly no reason to think he goes beyond the call of duty for his team either.

Yeah, I guess him being the captain, going to media events, winning the cup four times as a key contributor and being the best defenseman of the past decade or so doesn't constitute as going beyond the call of duty.

What a selfish knob.

Guest Hatethedrake!

Lidstrom has already taken pay cuts. He was once making 10 mil a season before the lockout. He will likely win his 7th Norris Trophy on Wednesday. 6.2 mil for Lidstrom is more than fair. Holland is not going to act like a jackass and ask him to take yet another paycut. The Wings are a class organization and treat their players accordingly. I don't know how anyone can be upset about Lidstrom making 6.2 mil a season. Thanks for the laugh though. :lol:

The fact that you basically just assumed that I wrote that in relation to the fact that he's been here forever is ridiculous. Next time actually read my post and realize the reasoning behind it. It's beend one in the past, players have deferred salary or taken less so that a better team could be contructed. This is more than likely Lidstrom's last season, so it's not unthinkable that he may take a little less to help his team put an even better team out there to compete for the Cup (one last time - for Lids).

Is it going to happen, more than likely not, but again if you read my post and truly understood it, you would have seen where I wrote that I didn't have a problem if he didn't take a cut. You may also note that I was thinking a cut of 1.45 million, which if you were to include incentives, he more than likely would still take home the same amount of money. And the difference would then count against next years cap.

Yzerman had gone from being the best player in the league not named Gretzky or Lemieux down to centering a second or even third line. Lids has been the best defenseman in the world for more than a decade.

Edited by eva unit zero

Guest Crymson

Now I can return to sleeping well again. Thank goodness for you, Nick.

Yeah, I guess him being the captain, going to media events, winning the cup four times as a key contributor and being the best defenseman of the past decade or so doesn't constitute as going beyond the call of duty.

What a selfish knob.

Been a legend of the game, one of our greatest ever, but you won't convince me otherwise that he could've taken a better deal for the team.

Guest Crymson

Yeah, because a difference of 1 or 2 million is going to keep Detroit from making it in the playoffs.

Do you think he is worth LESS than Seabrook? Seabrook is being paid 5.8 next year.

For once I agree with Doc that a third party is unnecessarily bleating.

Holland said the Wings were preparing their strategy to replace Rafalski. The free-agent market opens July 1.

“We plan to be aggressive on July 1 and find a defenseman or two,” Holland said.

Thank you cap increase :)

Does this mean I can buy a Nick jersey now? :P

Beautiful, that post is all WIN!

He's worth 100 million, IMO, but take a home team discount for his presumably final year like Stevie did! For the greater good!

Stevie was a fraction of his former self, he was playing 3rd/4th line role.

I love the guy, but he was no longer a point per game player, not saying he wasn't good, and that he wasn't still the best Red Wing Ever, IMO, but there was a dip in performance and some very tough injuries. Steve was a warrior no doubt and played with a ton of heart through a ton of pain that would have forced others to retire.

Conversely Lids is still (depending on your opinion) a or the top defenseman in the game, put up 62 points, granted his plus minus was atrocious and the worst of his career, but he was a Norris Candidate, and IMO was the best D-man in the game this season. He is still the top D man on this team, soon that will be Kronwall, but for now it is Lids.

He deserves to be paid the most on the team, he is still the team MVP, again he just played a full season, he has now played 76+ games in every season of his career except 94-95.

Lids will never replace Yzerman as the greatest Wing of all time, however he deserves to be paid more than Stevie did at the end of their careers.

Holland said the Wings were preparing their strategy to replace Rafalski. The free-agent market opens July 1.

“We plan to be aggressive on July 1 and find a defenseman or two,” Holland said.

Thank you cap increase :)

Is it July 1st yet?

I haven't been around for a while but this seemed a great moment to come back. So here's my gut reaction:

F!&&!#&!&¤ YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Thank god for Saint Nick!

Shouldn't we be happy that he returned instead of getting upset about what hes getting paid ? I mean if he doesn't re-sign then what ? imo, we're more f***ed.

The problem is that I don't think anyone on this topic here is getting upset about what he is paid. I brought up the idea that maybe he might take less, but I never infered that Holland would ask him to take less, nor did I post it in such a way that I thought he SHOULD take less. It was merely a what if... Again, I don't see anyone on here bickering or making a big deal about his pay.

I'm happy he is back.

Ah I see, so he needs more money to get greater respect?

Wow, it seems I really overestimated Lidstrom's will to win.

$5.5 mil is playing for free? :lol: Good one buddy.

Really? $6.2 million for a guy that's still the best in the game at his position, with the Cap continuing to rise isn't going beyond the call of duty?

That's news to me.