217 replies to this topic

#61 Jusek

Jusek

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,738 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 10:04 AM

Great news! The Perfect Human keeps playing! :thumbup:
"I consider the Detroit Red Wings one of the greatest franchises in any sport. For a player to come in and play, it's so special to wear the jersey."
-Steve Yzerman

#62 Mitchmac33

Mitchmac33

Come on son!

• PipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 10:05 AM

#63 Learn2LuvIt

Learn2LuvIt

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 10:12 AM

Holland's text to Lids right after he heard the news was probably something like "I owe you one.....big time".

Lids always talks about being motivated to play another year. I wonder what Hollands told Lids about the Wings plans this off-season? It had to be something really positive...right?? Soemthing like, "Nick, we have money to spend this off season that we haven't had in a long while. We're going to be doing x,x,x,x,x, and x to make this team better and make deep run at the cup." Very curious as to what Hollands plan is now. I don't think mentoring B. Smith and Kindl would be a huge motivator for Nick....I'm thinking the off season plan is ambitious.
Or...as my wife simply put it; Maybe it's not about the hockey. Lids and his wife have stated that they love living in the States, and leaving will be very hard. Maybe they aren't ready to make a move yet, and Lids doesn't want to sit around the house all day or start something just to keep him busy that isn't in his long term plans (moving back to Sweden).
ENJOY THE RIDE

#64 wingnut40

wingnut40

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 10:14 AM

Does this mean I can buy a Nick jersey now? :P
Go rest high on that mountain, cause son your work on Earth is done. Go to Heaven a'shouting love for the Father and the Son. Ruslan Salei, Brad McCrimmon, Stefan Liv, Pavol Demitra, and the entire Lokomotiv team.

#65 wingsgirl001

wingsgirl001

Hey Hey, Hockeytown!

• Gold Booster
  • 6,753 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 10:18 AM

Great news to wake up to! Welcome back, Nick! :yowza:

i57ouh.jpg

Captain Z!

#66 Aussie_Wing

Aussie_Wing

Mursak

• Bronze Booster
  • 8,550 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 10:20 AM

Again too steep.

$6.2 mil, he must like losing in the Semi's.

Ken Holland: Hes (Mursak) a young guy, provides energy, can skate, hes a puck hound.

#67 clairbear303

clairbear303

Prospect

• 48 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 10:21 AM

Awesome news!

#68 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,341 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 10:22 AM

Again too steep.

$6.2 mil, he must like losing in the Semi's.

Yeah, because a difference of 1 or 2 million is going to keep Detroit from making it in the playoffs.

Do you think he is worth LESS than Seabrook? Seabrook is being paid 5.8 next year.

Posted Image

#69 RedWingsRox

RedWingsRox

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,146 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 10:23 AM

You are the bearer of great news ... awesome.

#70 deltawing

deltawing

GO RED WINGS!

• Gold Booster
  • 153 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 10:24 AM

Yeah, because a difference of 1 or 2 million is going to keep Detroit from making it in the playoffs.

Do you think he is worth LESS than Seabrook? Seabrook is being paid 5.8 next year.

He's worth 100 million, IMO, but take a home team discount for his presumably final year like Stevie did! For the greater good!
Sergeant Rathbun - USMC
Operation Iraqi Freedom 05-07 Oct 06 - Apr 07
http://www.last.fm/user/deltawing12

#71 Aussie_Wing

Aussie_Wing

Mursak

• Bronze Booster
  • 8,550 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 10:24 AM

Oh right-o, I forgot that Seabrook was in his 20th odd NHL season and had earnt an absolute stack over his cateer.

Ken Holland: Hes (Mursak) a young guy, provides energy, can skate, hes a puck hound.

#72 Hatethedrake!

Hatethedrake!

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 10:25 AM

AWESOME. :thumbup:

Jordan Tootoo will wreck shop.

We need someone like Parise that can penetrate the box.-blueadams

#73 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

• Silver Booster
  • 4,341 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 10:26 AM

Oh right-o, I forgot that Seabrook was in his 20th odd NHL season and had earnt an absolute stack over his cateer.

Oh, so because Lidstrom has already made a lot of money, he should take peanuts to spend even MORE time away from his family and bring in ticket sales, merchandise sales, and an even better product to the Detroit Red Wings because he owes it to them?

What a joke.

Posted Image

#74 RedWingsRox

RedWingsRox

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,146 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 10:26 AM

$6.2 is fine ... salary cap is going up, Ralfalski's $6 mill is off our cap ... you can't pay him 2nd tier D-man money like $4-5 mill, he deserves the kind of respect of a top tier Dman and Captain. Those of you who thinks he should pay for free .. stop being so cheap. We want to be a classy organization.

Edited by RedWingsRox, 20 June 2011 - 10:27 AM.

#75 Aussie_Wing

Aussie_Wing

Mursak

• Bronze Booster
  • 8,550 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 10:28 AM

Oh, so because Lidstrom has already made a lot of money, he should take peanuts to spend even MORE time away from his family and bring in ticket sales, merchandise sales, and an even better product to the Detroit Red Wings because he owes it to them?

What a joke.

Nah, I'm thinking more along the lines of he's 41, he's in his last year, lets take a slight discount (heck, $5.5 mil, what a slap in the face......) to give me the absolute BEST chance of having the perfect send off.

It appears gaining that every last bit of money takes priority over building the best possible team.

#76 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

• Silver Booster
  • 4,341 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 10:30 AM

Nah, I'm thinking more along the lines of he's 41, he's in his last year, lets take a slight discount (heck, $5.5 mil, what a slap in the face......) to give me the absolute BEST chance of having the perfect send off.

It appears gaining that every last bit of money takes priority over building the best possible team.

The team's success isn't going to hinge on 1 million dollars here or there.

It appears that Lidstrom is getting his fair share for the reasons I listed, and there is no reason to call him selfish for it.

Posted Image

#77 Aussie_Wing

Aussie_Wing

Mursak

• Bronze Booster
  • 8,550 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 10:32 AM

$6.2 is fine ... salary cap is going up, Ralfalski's $6 mill is off our cap ... you can't pay him 2nd tier D-man money like $4-5 mill, he deserves the kind of respect of a top tier Dman and Captain. Those of you who thinks he should pay for free .. stop being so cheap. We want to be a classy organization.

Ah I see, so he needs more money to get greater respect?

Wow, it seems I really overestimated Lidstrom's will to win.

$5.5 mil is playing for free? :lol: Good one buddy.

The team's success isn't going to hinge on 1 million dollars here or there.

It appears that Lidstrom is getting his fair share for the reasons I listed, and there is no reason to call him selfish for it.

There's certainly no reason to think he goes beyond the call of duty for his team either.

#78 A.T.Hun

A.T.Hun

You wouldn't like Wayne when he's angry . . .

• Gold Booster
  • 484 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 10:34 AM

This will make recruiting Rafalski's replacement easier... "hey-- wanna play with Lidstrom?".

Got that right. Too bad the FA pickings are so slim.

#79 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

• Silver Booster
  • 4,341 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 10:34 AM

There's certainly no reason to think he goes beyond the call of duty for his team either.

Yeah, I guess him being the captain, going to media events, winning the cup four times as a key contributor and being the best defenseman of the past decade or so doesn't constitute as going beyond the call of duty.

What a selfish knob.

Posted Image

#80 A.T.Hun

A.T.Hun

You wouldn't like Wayne when he's angry . . .

• Gold Booster
  • 484 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 10:35 AM

Yeah, that Lidstrom sure is an ***hole, isn't he. Glad you pointed that out.