217 replies to this topic

#121 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,713 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 12:25 PM

This is terrible news.

Ericsson is clearly ready to become the number one D-man on this team (and has for a while), and this Lidstrom guy keeps holding him back every year with these comebacks.

It may be time for Big Rig to take his talents elsewhere.

Edited by GMRwings1983, 20 June 2011 - 12:26 PM.

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#122 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 12:28 PM

This is terrible news.

Ericsson is clearly ready to become the number one D-man on this team (and has for a while), and this Lidstrom guy keeps holding him back every year with these comebacks.

+1

Posted Image

#123 commadore183

commadore183

Versus televised America's last nuclear bomb test

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,044 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 12:47 PM

Lidstrom returning?

Posted Image

With the numbers he has (4 Stanley Cups, 6 Norris, numerous All-Star appearances, Conn Smythe winner and Olympic gold medalist), he would command MUCH more than $6.2M on the open market, so he is taking less money to play with the Wings than if he were to go anywhere else.
Mike Illich does not care about Detroit. Boycott 2013 Winter Cla$$ic.
Skilled hockey is, and will forever be, winning hockey. Deal with it.
"A perfect vision, some simple ways to let you know
Free range humans all couped up naked clone is playing lame" Avon by Queens of the Stone Age

#124 Johnny Diamonds

Johnny Diamonds

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 12:54 PM

Happy Day! But seriously guys, with the news of the cap going up $4mil just yesterday. Do you really expect Lidstrom to take another pay cut? I bet he's closer to $7mil this year.

#125 pucktividi

pucktividi

the usual suspect

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 12:56 PM

Lids is worth every penny of his contract without any doubt

#126 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

Kate: Jr. Wing Nut

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 12:59 PM

Happy Day! But seriously guys, with the news of the cap going up $4mil just yesterday. Do you really expect Lidstrom to take another pay cut? I bet he's closer to $7mil this year.

It's already been confirmed at $6.2M, same as last year.
It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).

#127 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 01:21 PM

Hmm. Will his play be the same or better than last year? I'm happy hes back but curious about the amount paid.

Oh well, it rules anyways :thumbup:

#128 RedWingsRox

RedWingsRox

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,108 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 01:22 PM

Ladies and Gents, I think this will be his last. I remember when we were playing SJ and then people asked, could this be his last game ... and we were suddenly jarred because it would be the end of a historic Hall of Fame player. SO before it's too late, let's enjoy this season with #5 anchoring our blue line ... I'm guessing it might be his last :( before he hands the C over to #13 :D .

Edited by RedWingsRox, 20 June 2011 - 01:24 PM.

#129 kylee

kylee

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 01:24 PM

Yes!!! Win it for Lids 2011-2012

#130 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,040 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 01:25 PM

Because of the salary cap raise, absolutely fine with 6.2 for Nick. Welcome back Captain! Bring on the 2012 Stanley Cup :ph34r: :siren:

#NOMOREKINDL

#131 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,609 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 01:27 PM

Great news.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#132 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,713 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 01:34 PM

I just hope he's not coming back for another 2nd round exit.

This team better make whatever moves necessary to be a serious Cup contender next season. I want to see him retire on top.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#133 pucktividi

pucktividi

the usual suspect

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 01:41 PM

I just hope he's not coming back for another 2nd round exit.

This team better make whatever moves necessary to be a serious Cup contender next season. I want to see him retire on top.

Real_ESPNLeBrun Pierre LeBrun
Lidstrom also said he had questions for Holland about direction of team after Rafalski retirement. Clearly, Holland gave him right answers

sounds good to me :cool:

#134 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 02:09 PM

If not included ESPN is reporting its 1 year 6.2 million:

Holland said on the call today he would look to add one or two defensemen, whether that's via trade or free agency. That's easier to do now that Lidstrom has decided to return on a one-year, $6.2 million contract for next season. It's a stronger sales pitch to other players when you have Lidstrom on the roster. With Lidstrom Brad Stuart and Niklas Kronwall, Holland needs to fill one major hole on defense; but if UFA spending gets too crazy July 1, Hollandís other option is to look for second-tier UFAs and hope youngsters such as Brendan Smith or Jakub Kindl can also make the jump next season.

http://espn.go.com/b...o-find-him-help
Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#135 IILeiBlazeII

IILeiBlazeII

Top-Tier Double Backup

• Pip
  • 130 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 02:17 PM

Didn't see the conference call posted yet: Here it is.

So happy to see Lidstrom back in the red and white for another year! :D

Maybe each of my fingers is an undulating shrimp! It's a world of possibilities.

#136 Vladifan

Vladifan

Legend

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 02:36 PM

Just got home from running errands. The bad news is, Texas is losing in their baseball game. The good news is I saw that Lidstrom signed for another year!!

:w00t2::colorbounce::w00t2:

I about peed my pants in sheer glee.

"He even ate with women who at that time were accorded the same status as the family donkey. Are we willing to break bread with, say, child sex slaves, transgender teens and undocumented workers? Because when Jesus comes back to Earth, that's where he'll be hanging."
You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.

#137 MGreenberg

MGreenberg

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 02:39 PM

Thank you Nick. Hopefully Holland picks up some solid players to try and help Nick go out with a Cup.

#138 Vladifan

Vladifan

Legend

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 02:47 PM

This will make recruiting Rafalski's replacement easier... "hey-- wanna play with Lidstrom?". one of the best defensemen who ever played the game?"

Defined that for ya. :hehe:

"He even ate with women who at that time were accorded the same status as the family donkey. Are we willing to break bread with, say, child sex slaves, transgender teens and undocumented workers? Because when Jesus comes back to Earth, that's where he'll be hanging."
You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.

#139 Vladifan

Vladifan

Legend

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 02:58 PM

Karsch and Anderson on 97.1 are bringing up Nick's plus minus and saying we should have paid less. While a partial barometer, this stat is not indicative of any defenseman's overall worth.
1) While his plus/minus went down from last year, this is more indicative of team defense; Nick can't lift every stick on the ice.
2) He had 60 points last season.
3) Losing both our assistants AND our captain in the same year does not a smooth transition make.
4) Even with a less-than-desirable plus/minus, he's STILL a Norris finalist.

Why do I bother listening to these guys??

This is one of those (few) days when I'm grateful I live in hotter'n 'hell Texas rather than Deeetroit. We got more than enough bulls*** here to deal with anyway. :cool:

#140 MrWings787

MrWings787

Prospect

• 49 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 03:17 PM

This is terrible news.

Like to South Beach Posted Image