• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest blueadams

Is THIS team good enough to go the distance?

Rate this topic

Guest blueadams

I've edited the original post a little bit..

DISCLAIMER: First of all, don't give me any lines thread crap. If you don't like my posts, don't click them. No one's putting a gun to your head and forcing you to do so. I like lines threads. Many others like lines threads as well. We're members of this forum. We have a right to discuss them. Unless you're a moderator, and unless new anti-line thread legislation has been passed...shut up and move on, or participate.

Second of all, this is my 'best guess' 2011/2012 Detroit Red Wings roster. It's not who I want. It's not who you want. It's what I think is going to happen. Babcock said we need to add a Rafalski replacement and a top six forward. I'm not getting into trades. The board seems to hold the general consensus that James Wisniewski and Brooks Laich are the best realistic options, so, I'm plugging those two in. I've also heard/read - several times over - that we want Brendan Smith to make the team next season, so I'm plugging him in as well. After we sign those two, and take care of some other necessary things, we'll probably still have enough to sign either Jagr or Ericsson (and I've outlined these numbers below). Right now, I'm thinking that it'll be Jagr.

Third, the real question - IS THIS TEAM, my 'best guess' team, GOING TO BE GOOD ENOUGH TO WIN THE STANLEY CUP? In my opinion, yes, there's no question about it. What do you think?

By my estimates, we're going to have about 12.9-15.9mil in cap space to work with this summer (depending on how high the cap goes)...

1) If we sign a cheap backup goalie (at about 1mil/season), and purchase the contracts of Smith (0.9mil/season), Emmerton (0.5mil/season), and Janik (0.5mil/season)...that'd leave us with 10-13mil.

2) If we sign Wisniewski (at about 4.5mil/season)...that'd leave us with 5.5-8.5mil.

3) If we sign Laich (at about 3.5mil/season)...that'd leave us with 2-5mil.

...at this point we'd have 13 forwards, 7 defensemen, and 2 goalies under contract...and, more than likely, we'd still have enough to sign Jagr or Ericsson (but not both).

I vote Jagr.

Filppula-Datsyuk-Franzen

Bertuzzi-Zetterberg-Jagr

Laich-Helm-Cleary

Hudler-Abdelkader-Holmstrom

Mursak

Emmerton

Kronwall-Wisniewski

Lidstrom-Smith

Stuart-Kindl

Janik

Howard

*?*

Edited by blueadams

we need to let ericsson walk if he wont accept what he is worth, and let Smith have 1 more year in GR. We need to sign Wisniewski, and 1 more high end dman(pitkanen,bieksa) as well as a low end dman(o'brien, babchuck) to compete with Kindl for the last spot. Otherwise bring up Janik for the 7th spot.

Lidstrom,Wisniewski

Kronwall,Pitkanen

Stuart,O'Brien

Kindl

Lidstrom,Wisniewski

Kronwall,Pitkanen

Stuart,Kindl

Janik

:thumbup:

Guest Hatethedrake!

Isn't there a current article which states the Wings are not fans of Pitkanen?

The other thing I wante to add. I feel add Ericsson is already out of the question but you never know. He seems like he is getting a little greedy but I would still like him on the roster... Little over pay now could be good in the long run.

first off: we (at least in my case) just tease you about your line threads. its not like i want you to stop posting them, its just fun to tease cause ur so enthusiastic about them :).

simply put id say no to the lineup. d is not solid enough with a smith-ericsson pairing (would be real shaky in the playoffs) and neither likes the right side much. does jagr have 82 games in him plus the playoffs? probably not. This lineup has cup winner all over it though: Note: u could sub in Jagr for Zherdev in your case and pay a little less as well. This would be barring a trade with Fil, Kindl in a package with prospect/ picks for Burns...

FORWARDS

Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Nikolai Zherdev ($2.500m)

Daniel Cleary ($2.800m) / Brad Richards ($7.200m) / Johan Franzen ($3.954m)

Todd Bertuzzi ($1.937m) / Darren Helm ($0.912m) / Patrick Eaves ($0.900m)

Tomas Holmstrom ($1.875m) / Justin Abdelkader ($0.787m) / Jan Mursak ($0.550m)

Drew Miller ($0.700m) / Cory Emmerton ($0.533m)

DEFENSEMEN

Niklas Kronwall ($3.000m) / Brent Burns ($3.550m)

Nicklas Lidstrom ($6.200m) / James Wisniewski ($4.500m)

Brendan Smith ($0.875m) / Brad Stuart ($3.750m)

Doug Janik ($0.512m)

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($2.250m) / Brian Boucher ($0.925m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $64,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $62,996,211; BONUSES: $0

CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $1,003,789

Guest blueadams

*Jagr

*Richards

*Wisniewski

Smith

Ericsson

A man can only dream [/color]cool.gif

Dream that the cap goes up 20mil? I guess.

Holmstrom-Datsyuk-*Jagr

Franzen-Zetterberg-Bertuzzi

Hudler-Filppula-Cleary

Abdelkader-Helm-Mursak/Eaves/Miller

Emmerton

Lidstrom-*Wisniewski

Kronwall-Stuart

Smith-Ericsson

Kindl

Janik

Howard

?

First of all, don't give me any lines thread crap. If you don't like my posts, don't click them. No one's putting a gun to your head and forcing you to do so. I like lines threads. Many others like lines threads as well. We're members of this forum. We have a right to discuss them. Unless you're a moderator, and unless new anti-line thread legislation has been passed...shut up and move on, or participate.

Second of all, acquisitions (Jagr and Wisniewski). Babcock said that we need to add a Rafalski replacement and a top six forward (and that the rest can be taken care of internally). These are the only rumors of mutual interest that I've even heard of with any real legs (and Wisniewski has really just been more of a process of elimination). So those are the only acquisitions I'm including. Don't give me a bunch of crap about it, unless you've got something else with legs.

Third of all, internal moves (resignings/promotions). I've heard that we might be aiming to keep 13 forwards and 8 defensemen. I've also heard - time and time again - that we're "counting" on Brendan Smith to make the roster. I've also heard - time and time again - that we're trying to resign both Eaves and Miller.

...If we're going to keep 8 defensemen...1) Lidstrom, 2) *FA/Wisniewski*, 3) Kronwall, 4) Stuart, 5) Kindl, 6) Smith, 7) Janik, 8) ?. It seems like we're really trying to keep Ericsson. We made him a multi-year offer during the season. Then we increased it recently. I'd be very surprised if we let him go. So I'm writing him in.

...If we're going to keep 13 forwards...1) Datsyuk, 2) Zetterberg, 3) Franzen, 4) Filppula, 5) Hudler, 6) Cleary, 7) Bertuzzi, 8) Holmstrom, 9) Helm, 10) Abdelkader, 11) Mursak, 12) Emmerton, 13) *FA/Jagr. If we're going to sign a top six forward, and we want to keep Eaves and/or Miller, someone (like Hudler and/or Emmerton) is going to need to be traded or released.

The roster I posted above is my best guess. That best guess is based on the best speculation available. If that's debatable...go ahead and debate it. But I don't think it is. And the real question we should be asking anyways is "IS THIS TEAM GOING TO BE GOOD ENOUGH TO GO THE DISTANCE?"

My opinion, I don't know. Do Wisniewski, Jagr and Smith make a big enough difference?? I tend to lean towards no. I still think that scoring will be an issue. I think that a big trade or acquisition of some sort is still needed.

First of all nice disclaimer and also very deceiving thread topic. Should read line thread #47. As for the discussion, no way Smith is in before Kindl unless he is incredible in training camp and pre season and Bert although I like him is not a 2nd line winger. The wing needs to be addressed, I like Homer and Bert but we need upgrades there if possible.

Guest blueadams

The other thing I wante to add. I feel add Ericsson is already out of the question but you never know. He seems like he is getting a little greedy but I would still like him on the roster... Little over pay now could be good in the long run.

agreed.

Isn't there a current article which states the Wings are not fans of Pitkanen?

no, but that could be said about almost any player in or out of the league. the important thing, i think, is that there isn't an article stating that we ARE fans of Pitkanen.

First of all nice disclaimer and also very deceiving thread topic. Should read line thread #47. As for the discussion, no way Smith is in before Kindl unless he is incredible in training camp and pre season and Bert although I like him is not a 2nd line winger. The wing needs to be addressed, I like Homer and Bert but we need upgrades there if possible.

1) I don't think it's misleading. 2) If Smith is going to be on the team - and all indications are that we hope he will be - it will be as a consistent member of our lineup. I think he's well above Kindl on the totem poll, in terms of us caring about their development/playing time. 3) Agreed on Bert and Homer.

first off: we (at least in my case) just tease you about your line threads. its not like i want you to stop posting them, its just fun to tease cause ur so enthusiastic about them :).

simply put id say no to the lineup. d is not solid enough with a smith-ericsson pairing (would be real shaky in the playoffs) and neither likes the right side much. does jagr have 82 games in him plus the playoffs? probably not. This lineup has cup winner all over it though: Note: u could sub in Jagr for Zherdev in your case and pay a little less as well. This would be barring a trade with Fil, Kindl in a package with prospect/ picks for Burns...

1) thanks. 2) you could obviously spread out the talent on the d pairings a little bit to make it a feasible unit. i just didn't really want to get into that, so i posted them from top to bottom. 3) like the speculation, but we've heard nothing of any merit involving burns or zherdev...at least to my knowledge.

Holmstrom-Datsyuk-*Jagr

Franzen-Zetterberg-Bertuzzi

Hudler-Filppula-Cleary

Abdelkader-Helm-Mursak/Eaves/Miller

Emmerton

Lidstrom-*Wisniewski

Kronwall-Stuart

Smith-Ericsson

Kindl

Janik

Howard

?

Well, I'm assuming by "go the distance" you mean winning a Stanley Cup. In that case - No.

The above D-Corps will not get the job done. The way Stuey was invisible this year in the playoff's leaves me to believe only two of the above (#5 and #55) are without question. Wisniewski...would be new to the organization....who knows?? Smith...rookie...who knows. Eriscsson....we know...and it aint that good. Kindle...who knows...yes he's looked okay when he has played? IMO, the five players I question above are not looking at regular season, but how would you feel about going into a game 7 of the WCF with these guys on the ice? Not that impressive. To many unknowns/inexperience.

Guest blueadams

Well, I'm assuming by "go the distance" you mean winning a Stanley Cup. In that case - No.

The above D-Corps will not get the job done. The way Stuey was invisible this year in the playoff's leaves me to believe only two of the above (#5 and #55) are without question. Wisniewski...would be new to the organization....who knows?? Smith...rookie...who knows. Eriscsson....we know...and it aint that good. Kindle...who knows...yes he's looked okay when he has played? IMO, the five players I question above are not looking at regular season, but how would you feel about going into a game 7 of the WCF with these guys on the ice? Not that impressive. To many unknowns/inexperience.

No group is going to be perfect. How do you think that (potential) group would match up against boston's back six in game seven this year? (or maybe more importantly, San Jose's?)

Backup G = 1,000,000

Wisniewski = 4,500,000

White = 3,000,000

Laich = 3,500,000

Jagr = 2,000,000

7th Defenseman = 1,000,000

Totals = 63,092,044 / 64,000,000

96-13-68

40-51-93

44-Laich-11

8-43-39

(48, 26)

55-Wisniewski

5-23

4-White

(7th)

Backup (auld. Hedberg. Etc.)

even this year's team was good enough. If not for Zetter injure and two strange co-incidents with Bert and Cleary we would have played in the WCF. So the answer is yes. Adding Jagr will improve the offense no matter what people speak here. Replacing constantly inured Rafalski by Wiz will improve the defense.

My best wishes

- Hudler (-2.8)

+ Richards (+6.5)

+ Wiz (+4.5)

+ O'Brien (+2.0)

Richards won't sign with us though. So replacing him with Jagr works for me too.

Edited by RusDRW

Guest blueadams

Backup G = 1,000,000

Wisniewski = 4,500,000

White = 3,000,000

Laich = 3,500,000

Jagr = 2,000,000

7th Defenseman = 1,000,000

Totals = 63,092,044 / 64,000,000

I don't think we'd give Ian White 3 mil that we wouldn't give Ericsson...but I like the idea of adding both Jagr and Laich in addition to Wisniewski while keeping Ericsson...if that's possible.

I don't think we'd give Ian White 3 mil that we wouldn't give Ericsson...but I like the idea of adding both Jagr and Laich in addition to Wisniewski while keeping Ericsson...if that's possible.

White is going to get his 3M+ in San Jose. He played exceptionally well for them in the play-offs and now when they got rid of Niclas "The Wall" Wallin and his 2.5 off they have some money to spend signing White and Couture.

I would say no with that lineup blueadams posted.

Too many injury prone players, which is what ultimately screwed us in game 7. Also, Holmstrom and Bertuzzi aren't going to get any better to be playing top 6 minutes. They're both too inconsistent and disappear for long stretches of time. Likewise, Jagr is an unproven commodity here, and Hudler is utterly useless.

I don't see a Stanley Cup with that particular lineup, unless everyone magically stays healthy throughout the playoffs and certain players somehow get younger.

In essence, you're replacing Rafalski with Wisniewski, and adding a 39 year old forward who hasn't played in the NHL for years.

Guest blueadams

even this year's team was good enough. If not for Zetter injure and two strange co-incidents with Bert and Cleary we would have played in the WCF. So the answer is yes. Adding Jagr will improve the offense no matter what people speak here. Replacing constantly inured Rafalski by Wiz will improve the defense.

My best wishes

- Hudler (-2.8)

+ Richards (+6.5)

+ Wiz (+4.5)

+ O'Brien (+2.0)

Richards won't sign with us though. So replacing him with Jagr works for me too.

Franzen being hurt was the biggest detrimant(sp?) i think. but even with him, i think we need to add more scoring power, like babcock said.

Franzen being hurt was the biggest detrimant(sp?) i think. but even with him, i think we need to add more scoring power, like babcock said.

indeed. Being injury-free is the major problem.

We're good on offense. Second most goals and Hudler and Franzen surely couldn't suck as bad as they did last season. An improving Helm will also add firepower. Adding Jagr would just make us even more deadly, although, he is not needed. Spend the farm on defense and a reliable back-up goalie in case Jhoww plays s***ty in the regular season again.

Guest blueadams

We're good on offense. Second most goals and Hudler and Franzen surely couldn't suck as bad as they did last season. An improving Helm will also add firepower. Adding Jagr would just make us even more deadly, although, he is not needed. Spend the farm on defense and a reliable back-up goalie in case Jhoww plays s***ty in the regular season again.

Babs said we need to add another top six forward, fwiw

Guest blueadams

By my estimates, we're going to have about 12.9-15.9mil in cap space to work with this summer (depending on how high the cap goes)...

1) If we sign a cheap backup goalie (at about 1mil/season), and purchase the contracts of Emmerton (0.5mil/season), Smith (0.9mil/season), and Janik (0.5mil/season)...that'd leave us with 10-13mil.

2) If we sign Wisniewski (at about 4.5mil/season)...that'd leave us with 5.5-8.5mil.

3) If we sign Laich (at about 3.5mil/season)...that'd leave us with 2-5mil.

...at this point we'd have 13 forwards, 7 defensemen, and 2 goalies under contract...and, more than likely, we'd still have enough to sign Jagr or Ericsson (but not both).

I vote Jagr.

Forwards(13): Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Franzen, *Laich, Filppula, Hudler, Cleary, Holmstrom, Bertuzzi, Helm, Abdelkader, Mursak, Emmerton.

Defensemen(7): Lidstrom, *Wisniewski, Kronwall, Stuart, Kindl, Smith, Janik

Goalies(2): Howard, *?*

4+4+2=10

probably more like 12; and no, we can't fit that.

Edited by blueadams

No group is going to be perfect. How do you think that (potential) group would match up against boston's back six in game seven this year? (or maybe more importantly, San Jose's?)

Good point. But, if we assume that Wiz is an even swap for Raffi (which a lot of people would disagree with) then we basically have the same D core that lost to San Jose + 1 inexperienced/uproven player (insert Smith/Kindl/Janik). Now, if you believe Raffi is a superior Dman to Wiz, then we are actually weaker than we were last year + 1 inexperienced/uproven player. IMO-Wings look better at D with Raffi and Salei vs. Wiz and Smith/Kindl/Janik. Now, obviously if one of these young kids comes in and plays really, really well then that's a different equation. I'd be cautiously optimistic with seeing how your proposed D-Corps play until November. But if there is any questions, I'd be looking for a trade immediately. Big risk for Kenny when there may be no solid options to make us a better team at that point/before the trade deadline.