• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest blueadams

Is THIS team good enough to go the distance?

Rate this topic

How about this?

Jiri Hudler ($2.875m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Daniel Cleary ($2.800m)

Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Tomas Holmstrom ($1.875m)

Johan Franzen ($3.954m) / Tim Connolly ($3.000m) / Todd Bertuzzi ($1.937m)

Jan Mursak ($0.550m) / Darren Helm ($0.912m) / Patrick Eaves ($1.000m)

Justin Abdelkader ($0.787m) / Cory Emmerton ($0.533m)

Niklas Kronwall ($3.000m) / Brad Stuart ($3.750m)

Nicklas Lidstrom ($6.200m) / James Wisniewski ($4.500m)

Joni Pitkanen ($5.000m) / Steve Montador ($1.750m)

Jakub Kindl ($0.883m)

Jimmy Howard ($2.250m) / Chris Osgood ($0.550m)

CAP SPACE: $107,956

Yes, it gets kind of tight. If you're concerned about that, replace Montador with Janik and save $1.2m

I think this roster is a huge improvement over last year; although there's no Raffi, Stuart is now the #5 defenseman, with Wisniewski, Pitkanen, and Montador coming in. Both the PP and PK have defensemen skilled in those areas; Lids/Kronner for both, Pitkanen/Wiz on PP, and Stu/Monty for PK. Connolly is the big improvement at forward, effectively taking Modano's spot. The Wings get a legit two-way center capable of playing on a top line to replace a guy who played his way out of the lineupe last year. Mursak replaces Draper, and brings a lot of the same skills but doesn't have the faceoff talents, and Emmerton takes Miller's spot, providing a speedy young skilled two-way forward at-the-ready for an injury replacement or to rest a player for a game or two.

Wisniewski brings a lot of Rafalski's similar skills, plus the RH shot, and is not far below that level, so we'll call that even. Again with Mursak. Emmerton is a scratch, so we don't need to think about that for now. Montador is an improvement over Salei. Pitkanen is so far above Ericsson that he needs a shovel to see him. Again for Connolly against Modano.

And finally, let's take a look at the lines I've posted:

Huds/Zetterberg/Cleary - Incredible performance while together.

Flip/Dats/Holmstrom - See A.

Franzen/Connolly/Bertuzzi - This would be the top line on most teams, and admittedly costs as much as some of them.

Mursak/Helm/Eaves - If Mursak fits in as well as Draper did, this will be one of the best checking lines in the league for a while... unless one of them moves to a scoring line, or the line as a whole becomes a scoring line.

Kronwall/Stuart - Kronner is making the transition from "very good" to "excellent", and Stuart can't have a more atrocious season than he did last year.

Lidstrom/Wisniewski - Lids probably won't be as good, but Wiz will provide the kind of element of physical play we haven't seen in a regular partner for Nick since Brad McCrimmon.

Pitkanen/Montador - Would be a solid second pairing on most teams; Pitkanen would be first pair on just about any team in the league and Montador top four on many.

Forgive me if im wrong, but i didnt see any glimpses over the years of Hudler shoeing he is capable of handeling/deserving first line minutes...nor have i seen babcock act shy about benching him/healthy scratch last season. How does that scream 1st liner anywhere, let alone in Detroit? Send him and his lazy play packing

This team isnt even built yet :lol: Start this thread after training camp when the teams built and I'll get back to ya

Line combos are fun to talk about, but are a waste of time, because lines change so much.

From now on, I think it's wiser to just compile a list of forwards and defensemen, instead of talking about what lines they'll be on. It won't stay the same anyway.

Forgive me if im wrong, but i didnt see any glimpses over the years of Hudler shoeing he is capable of handeling/deserving first line minutes...nor have i seen babcock act shy about benching him/healthy scratch last season. How does that scream 1st liner anywhere, let alone in Detroit? Send him and his lazy play packing

It appears you have much to learn about eva unit zero, young grasshopper.

False, he say he'd like to add another top six forward, he never said we needed one. As stated a million times, every coach will say they'd like to add a top six forward and top 4 DMan. Holland has stated that their top 9 is pretty much set. No coach or GM will say that their team isn't going to add anyone, that breed complacency throughout the team.

Which will make a team work harder? "Everyone's job is safe and no additions need to be made" or "If we need to add a piece here or there, we're going to do it, we're always looking to improve."? Exactly.

Here's Babcock's reply to what the Wings need...

we need a top-six forward to give our guys opportunity

I don't think Babcock would say they need a top-6 forward if he didn't believe it or he didn't think it was possible. They have the cap space and Babcock said they have the need, so I'm willing to bet that they sign a forward.

Guest blueadams

Here's Babcock's reply to what the Wings need...

I don't think Babcock would say they need a top-6 forward if he didn't believe it or he didn't think it was possible. They have the cap space and Babcock said they have the need, so I'm willing to bet that they sign a forward.

yup...sign wiz, sign laich, sign jagr or ericsson...ready to go

Guest blueadams

that wouldnt get you close to the cap. we have room for wiz, richards, another top 4 dman if we trade hudler.

i've run the numbers...and that's not even close to being accurate