https://redwingsfron...ered-contracts/

#2 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 08:23 PM

Fine by me.

While I like Joey. He didn't earn anything more than the role of third stringer. He's fine in that role, but he's not Howard's back up.

Salei. Well, the decision is now his... and ours. If he's got no offers come August and we still need a defenseman... he's serviceable... and we can offer him less.
(AtomicPunk @ February 4, 2010 - 12:16AM)

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#3 dropkickshanahans

dropkickshanahans

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 08:41 PM

GO ON THEN! GIT!

Edited by dropkickshanahans, 21 June 2011 - 09:07 PM.

#4 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 08:59 PM

Because Osgood will return and be awesome! DUH!!! :hehe:
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#5 brett

brett

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,098 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 09:06 PM

i dont mind either of them leaving. I actually prefer salei going. We can find better

#6 SuperNovaXll

SuperNovaXll

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,699 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 09:27 PM

I thought MacDonald played pretty well for us in the short time we had him. So I guess I'm a little sad to see him go, but its not really all that big a deal.

Now Salei I never really cared for...
Long Island Wings Fan since 1991

#7 Never_Retire_Steve

Never_Retire_Steve

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,156 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 09:32 PM

This must mean they are making room for Richards right!

#8 Weezer

Weezer

Jr. Prospect

• 15 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 09:35 PM

MacDonald grew up near me so I was pumped having a Nova Scotian on the team. I would've been able to go to the cup parade haha. I wish him the best for suresies.

#9 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 09:43 PM

Sad to see him go, I would've been comfortable with him being back-up full time.

I think Osgood not sure if he will retire just yet probably played into this, though I don't blame Osgood for wanting to keep going as long as he can, and if he thinks he can go and docs or whomever think he can go, by all means do it. I'd be comfortable with him as back up if he can prove he's healthy again.

Comfortable with getting a guy like Conklin back if that's the route they go, even though he struggled last year by the looks of numbers (only recalled maybe 1 or 2 games he played against the Wings this season, barely saw him at all this year).

#10 Never_Retire_Steve

Never_Retire_Steve

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,156 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 10:03 PM

I actually thought Salei was effective but I had super low expectations before he came here and disliked him so maybe he wasn't as good as I thought he was this past season

#11 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 10:12 PM

I thought MacDonald played pretty well for us in the short time we had him. So I guess I'm a little sad to see him go, but its not really all that big a deal.

Now Salei I never really cared for...

He played fairly well for two or three games, but he's not a reliable second-stringer. And in today's NHL, you'd better have a reliable #2 goalie if you want your starting goalie to not be burnt out by the time the postseason begins.

#12 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 10:17 PM

I like both guys but obvious this is the right choice/decision. I mean I guess there is a long shot chance we re-sign Salei but I doubt it. As for MacDonald, I like him but he's a third string goalie at best if he gets with a NHL team...

Edited by St. Michael (the Red Wing), 21 June 2011 - 10:20 PM.

#13 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,339 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 11:12 PM

I couldn't care less about a third string goalie or a 5th/6th DMan when there are better cheaper options out there. JMaccc, while I'd like him back, it's good to see him move on and hopefully find a team to start 20 games for. Salei gave us exactly what we asked for while being one of our best defenders in the playoffs. Thanks for being team players and good luck moving on fellows.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#14 Datsyerberger

Datsyerberger

"Dat's yer burger, Hank."

• HoF Booster
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 12:02 AM

I wouldn't mind taking Salei back as a #7 or something but honestly I hope he finds somewhere out west so he can be closer to his family.
If some bored artist wants to make me a signature, feel free to cut loose and do so.

Of course, I could get off my lame rear and do something.

#15 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,936 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 07:25 AM

Best wishes to both of them. I can understand how not coming back would be in their best interests- Joey for his career and Rusty for his family.

They are not the stars or the big names, but they came in, did what was asked of them for the roles they played.

Good luck in the future, guys!

#16 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 07:29 AM

Can't say I'm real broken up about this. I liked Salei, but Joey Mac was best as a Griffin. Hopefully Rusty can go back West for his family and MacDonald can find a team that can use him as a back-up (Phoenix?).

cc_champs-5_zps34057ff0.png

#17 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 08:12 AM

Can't say I'm real broken up about this. I liked Salei, but Joey Mac was best as a Griffin. Hopefully Rusty can go back West for his family and MacDonald can find a team that can use him as a back-up (Phoenix?).

Hell, he'd be their number one right now in Phoenix...

good luck to Joey Mac, I would have loved him to have stayed in the organization as a #3/#1 in GR, but anything more and I'm hesitant, especially with the amount of good, cheap, reliable backups available this off-season...

As for Osgood - he is done, I think he's Holland's plan Q by this point, as in options A-P fail first, we're 2 days from camp and need a backup... "crap, Osgood, want a job?" but the odds of that are slim to none and slim has one foot out the door...

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#18 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 08:47 AM

This is the right move for the Wings. I thought Salei would move closer to home but I wasnt sure about Joey Mac, he had a good year of hockey this season. I remember some huge stops he made for us and hope some one takes a shot on him (pun intended) as a full time back up. Thanks for the season guys and good luck.
....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#19 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 09:42 AM

Vokoun and Doughty will replace them.
Detroit Red Wings & Tampereen Ilves forever!

#20 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 09:48 AM

Vokoun and Doughty will replace them.

let me cover you by pointing out that you're joking, before this gets out of hand...

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.