Posted 22 June 2011 - 10:07 PM

Good for Nick he deserved it!

#42 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,867 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 10:27 PM

I would love so badly for him to win no. 8 next year, but I expect there will be a lot of voters who will be hesitant to grant him the Norris that will tie him for 1st all time with Orr. In an event, I do believe he is the greatest defensman of all time, ahead of even Orr.

#43 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 10:42 PM

#44 kylee

kylee

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 11:18 PM

People are seriously on HFboards whining that Lidstrom didn't deserve to win because he was -2. F the plus/minus stat, one of the most meaningless stats in all of hockey. Votes for the Norris were very close between Lids and Weber but Lidstrom completely deserves this, plus/minus be damned.

#45 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 12:00 AM

Was Rinne even nominated for a Hart trophy?

He meant more to his team than anyone else. With their offensive roster, they wouldn't have even made the playoffs without Rinne.

Perry isn't even the best or most important player on his team.

This x 1,000.

It sickens me to think that Corey Perry is now a Hart Trophy winner when Steve Yzerman (who deserved it probably two, maybe three times) never won. I would place Perry as the third, possibly fourth most important player on the Ducks. It's a real life "what would it be like if Kevin Stevens won the Hart in 1992?"

I honestly can't think of many worse recent award winners. Rob Blake for the Norris is a bad one, but everyone else (I can think of offhand) had a very strong argument for their wins. Draper sneaking in for the Selke might rank up there as I didn't feel he was the best defensive forward even on the team The same goes for Toews being named a finalist over Bolland. I mean WTF? There have definitely been finalists worse than Perry - Mike Green, Dion Phaneuf, and Steve Mason (Vezina AND Hart) are the ones that come to mind for recent years.

"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#46 RockyMountainWingGal

RockyMountainWingGal

RockyMountainWingGal

• HoF Booster
  • 3,810 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 12:01 AM

People are seriously on HFboards whining that Lidstrom didn't deserve to win because he was -2. F the plus/minus stat, one of the most meaningless stats in all of hockey. Votes for the Norris were very close between Lids and Weber but Lidstrom completely deserves this, plus/minus be damned.

Rob Blake won it as a minus player and he's half the defenseman Nick is....

Cringed at the minus myself, but he was freaking -2 (blame lots on Big E) not -20 or -30.

Whiners gonna whine.....

The guy should rightfully have about 9 or 10 Norris's but the voters were biased against him for awhile. I believe he is the first Euro-born player to win either the Norris or the Conn Smythe. Quite a feat.

Hats off to the Captain. Gives us something to be proud of even when we don't get close to the Cup. :yahoo: :rolleyes:
New season, New start! May the force be with the Wings this time!

#47 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 12:43 AM

#48 nisco

nisco

Jr. Prospect

• 17 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 01:04 AM

Congrats Nick!

#49 SuperCalaFilppulastic!

SuperCalaFilppulastic!

Flippin' Awesome

• PipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 01:44 AM

I just feel each of the finalists had legitimate critiques and it was a toss-up. I don't understand all the complaining elsewhere.

I mean, Weber only finished with a +7 and was mostly paired with Suter (+20) who is way better than any of Lids partners. Not to mention a Vezina-caliber season by Rinne.

Chara was on a team that had 11 players with +10 or greater. Eight players with +20 or more. Also, the freaking Vezina winner, Timmay!

All 3 are great d-men, but it's not like it is completely ridiculous for Lidstrom to have edged them out.

Check out my Wings autographed card collection here!

#50 akustyk

akustyk

how painful is painful?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,170 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 02:01 AM

pretty unexpected but very welcome ;)

congrats Nick!

#51 Bannedforlife

Bannedforlife

In heaven, everything is fine.

• PipPipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 03:25 AM

Is it just me, or was every single other person on the awards show awkward as hell other than Nick? That's pretty sad considering english isn't even his first language :lol:

#52 Jusek

Jusek

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,732 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 06:06 AM

Congrats to Norris-Nick! Well deserved. Great speech too, he really has great English.
"I consider the Detroit Red Wings one of the greatest franchises in any sport. For a player to come in and play, it's so special to wear the jersey."
-Steve Yzerman

#53 edicius

edicius

Professional drinker.

• HoF Booster
  • 25,212 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 07:30 AM

So does anybody know exactly what Kevin Smith said re: Vancouver that got censored out? I assume it had something to do with looting and cars on fire.

ABV_sig.png

Can't listen live? Check out MoreLikeRadio.org for show archives!

#54 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

Kate: Jr. Wing Nut

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 08:10 AM

Is it just me, or was every single other person on the awards show awkward as hell other than Nick? That's pretty sad considering english isn't even his first language :lol:

I read an article about him a couple years ago and the opening statement read something like this: "Nick Lidstrom has 4 Stanley Cups, 6 (at the time) Norris Trophies and can speak English better than you can.

:lol:
It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).

#55 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 08:19 AM

Best looking trophy ever!!!

#NHLAwards Just saying, Ted Lindsay trophy is the best looking trophy ever. Ian doesn't deserve anything, goon.

This! I saw it life in the HHOF. It looks awesome.

Edited by Finnish Wing, 23 June 2011 - 08:21 AM.

Detroit Red Wings & Tampereen Ilves forever!

#56 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,516 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 08:31 AM

Here's to one more next season to go with his 5th Stanley Cup!

Congrats, Nick!
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#57 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,795 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 08:46 AM

Fantastic, just fantastic. Congrats Nick!
....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#58 Din758

Din758

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 09:28 AM

Damn he had some pretty epic goals this season. forgot about some of those.

When youve been to the podium 6 times in the past for this award, you know what to do.
Crosby is a crybaby *****

#59 hillbillywingsfan

hillbillywingsfan

Awww poor butch

• Gold Booster
  • 3,530 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 09:44 AM

Posted Image
msg-10491-1258682020.jpg

I LIVE IN TEXAS SO I DON'T DESERVE HOCKEY

#60 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,959 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 10:06 AM

Most of the bitching I've been seeing on the +/- front has been from Boston fans crying over the fact that Chara & his +33 should have been enough to convince everyone that he should have won just on that stat alone. +/- is such a flawed stat to begin with. I mean if it's the be all, end all of stats for a defenseman, that means Rafalski & Ericsson were the Wings two best this season. Riiiiiight...

I think Bruins fans are just a little butt-hurt that Nicky will end up tying Orr when he takes the trophy again next season.