• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Crymson

Nick Lidstrom wins Norris trophy #7

Rate this topic

You said the Jack Adams was the only trophy worthy of second guessing, but Corey Perry as league MVP is probably least deserving winner of the last 20 years.

I was just being an ass. I wouldn't call him undeserving. He might be a ******, but he was arguably the most valuable player to his team in the whole league.

From the 1997-98 season to today, the Norris has been awarded 13 times. I can only think of one time I can say for certain Lidstrom did not deserve it. That would be last season, when I feel he was still top-three. Only one, perhaps two other times do I feel that Lidstrom could be argued as not the best, being the 1998-99 and 1999-2000 seasons when Al MacInnis and Chris Pronger won, and Pronger also took home the Hart.

So ultimately, IMHO, Lidstrom should have somewhere between 10-12 Norris wins. He has been outright cheated out of three victories (2009 Chara, 2004 Niedermayer, and 1998 Blake) and had that not occurred, he would likely be generally considered the greatest and most dominant defenseman of all-time. Even before 98, when he was the outright best, he was challenging for Norrises for six years. Lidstrom came into the league as one of the top 15-20 defensemen, as did Konstantinov. That event immediately changed the Wings from a mediocre team to a top team, in the same fashion as Yzerman's entrance allowed the Wings to emerge from the dungeon or Fedorov's entrance gave the Wings a second star player. The early 90s; with the emergence of Lidstrom, Konstantinov, Kozlov, and Osgood; as well as the acquisitions of Mike Vernon, Kris Draper, Brendan Shanahan, Igor Larionov, Slava Fetisov, and Larry Murphy; these are the things that are what defined the Wings' run in the 90s and allowed them to continue being successful. Through having a strong front office with Bowman, Holland, and Devellano, as well as strong scouting, they were able to select skilled players with low picks such as Datsyuk, Zetterberg, and others, as well as to make the "smart" move instead of the "big" move - and knowing when to make those moves. Players like Hasek, Schneider, Hull, Robitaille, Chelios, Whitney, Rafalski, Hossa, Conklin, Cleary, Eaves and more were strong acquisitions made via free agency or trade that helped and in some cases are still helping the Wings beyond their role.

The effect of Lidstrom leaving is unknown. He's a great defenseman, so that will hurt, but we'll get a skilled guy to help there. We have a leader in the locker room who can take on the mantle when Nick bows out. Is Z ready for full time? I think so. But I want to see Nick keep on as long as he's willing to play.

Great post Eva. At least we agree on one player. ;)

From the 1997-98 season to today, the Norris has been awarded 13 times. I can only think of one time I can say for certain Lidstrom did not deserve it. That would be last season, when I feel he was still top-three. Only one, perhaps two other times do I feel that Lidstrom could be argued as not the best, being the 1998-99 and 1999-2000 seasons when Al MacInnis and Chris Pronger won, and Pronger also took home the Hart.

So ultimately, IMHO, Lidstrom should have somewhere between 10-12 Norris wins. He has been outright cheated out of three victories (2009 Chara, 2004 Niedermayer, and 1998 Blake) and had that not occurred, he would likely be generally considered the greatest and most dominant defenseman of all-time. Even before 98, when he was the outright best, he was challenging for Norrises for six years. Lidstrom came into the league as one of the top 15-20 defensemen, as did Konstantinov. That event immediately changed the Wings from a mediocre team to a top team, in the same fashion as Yzerman's entrance allowed the Wings to emerge from the dungeon or Fedorov's entrance gave the Wings a second star player. The early 90s; with the emergence of Lidstrom, Konstantinov, Kozlov, and Osgood; as well as the acquisitions of Mike Vernon, Kris Draper, Brendan Shanahan, Igor Larionov, Slava Fetisov, and Larry Murphy; these are the things that are what defined the Wings' run in the 90s and allowed them to continue being successful. Through having a strong front office with Bowman, Holland, and Devellano, as well as strong scouting, they were able to select skilled players with low picks such as Datsyuk, Zetterberg, and others, as well as to make the "smart" move instead of the "big" move - and knowing when to make those moves. Players like Hasek, Schneider, Hull, Robitaille, Chelios, Whitney, Rafalski, Hossa, Conklin, Cleary, Eaves and more were strong acquisitions made via free agency or trade that helped and in some cases are still helping the Wings beyond their role.

The effect of Lidstrom leaving is unknown. He's a great defenseman, so that will hurt, but we'll get a skilled guy to help there. We have a leader in the locker room who can take on the mantle when Nick bows out. Is Z ready for full time? I think so. But I want to see Nick keep on as long as he's willing to play.

Great post Eva. At least we agree on one player. ;)

I'd re-read the hidden message he has in there...

He wasn't even the most valuable player on his line.

Yes he was.

I think Perry is a ******, but he's a talented player and was on fire the second half of the season, which I'm sure weighs heavily with voters.

He played every game this season, over 22 minutes a night, scored 50 goals and had 98 points. In the push to make the playoffs he had 19 goals in the final 16 games. Led the league in third period goals and road goals. That's not a most valuable player to his team?

I'm not saying he necessarily deserved the Hart, but he was absolutely the most valuable player on the Ducks this season and a large part of the reason they made the postseason.

Guest Crymson

Yes he was.

I think Perry is a ******, but he's a talented player and was on fire the second half of the season, which I'm sure weighs heavily with voters.

He played every game this season, over 22 minutes a night, scored 50 goals and had 98 points. In the push to make the playoffs he had 19 goals in the final 16 games. Led the league in third period goals and road goals. That's not a most valuable player to his team?

I'm not saying he necessarily deserved the Hart, but he was absolutely the most valuable player on the Ducks this season and a large part of the reason they made the postseason.

Hudler should have won it. For two weeks, he was on pace for over 100 points.