• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#61 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 10:19 AM

I would love so badly for him to win no. 8 next year, but I expect there will be a lot of voters who will be hesitant to grant him the Norris that will tie him for 1st all time with Orr. In an event, I do believe he is the greatest defensman of all time, ahead of even Orr.

From the 1997-98 season to today, the Norris has been awarded 13 times. I can only think of one time I can say for certain Lidstrom did not deserve it. That would be last season, when I feel he was still top-three. Only one, perhaps two other times do I feel that Lidstrom could be argued as not the best, being the 1998-99 and 1999-2000 seasons when Al MacInnis and Chris Pronger won, and Pronger also took home the Hart.

So ultimately, IMHO, Lidstrom should have somewhere between 10-12 Norris wins. He has been outright cheated out of three victories (2009 Chara, 2004 Niedermayer, and 1998 Blake) and had that not occurred, he would likely be generally considered the greatest and most dominant defenseman of all-time. Even before 98, when he was the outright best, he was challenging for Norrises for six years. Lidstrom came into the league as one of the top 15-20 defensemen, as did Konstantinov. That event immediately changed the Wings from a mediocre team to a top team, in the same fashion as Yzerman's entrance allowed the Wings to emerge from the dungeon or Fedorov's entrance gave the Wings a second star player. The early 90s; with the emergence of Lidstrom, Konstantinov, Kozlov, and Osgood; as well as the acquisitions of Mike Vernon, Kris Draper, Brendan Shanahan, Igor Larionov, Slava Fetisov, and Larry Murphy; these are the things that are what defined the Wings' run in the 90s and allowed them to continue being successful. Through having a strong front office with Bowman, Holland, and Devellano, as well as strong scouting, they were able to select skilled players with low picks such as Datsyuk, Zetterberg, and others, as well as to make the "smart" move instead of the "big" move - and knowing when to make those moves. Players like Hasek, Schneider, Hull, Robitaille, Chelios, Whitney, Rafalski, Hossa, Conklin, Cleary, Eaves and more were strong acquisitions made via free agency or trade that helped and in some cases are still helping the Wings beyond their role.

The effect of Lidstrom leaving is unknown. He's a great defenseman, so that will hurt, but we'll get a skilled guy to help there. We have a leader in the locker room who can take on the mantle when Nick bows out. Is Z ready for full time? I think so. But I want to see Nick keep on as long as he's willing to play.

"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#62 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 23,282 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 10:24 AM

Still goes to show who is the best.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#63 hillbillywingsfan

hillbillywingsfan

Awww poor butch

• Gold Booster
  • 3,623 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 10:54 AM

From the 1997-98 season to today, the Norris has been awarded 13 times. I can only think of one time I can say for certain Lidstrom did not deserve it. That would be last season, when I feel he was still top-three. Only one, perhaps two other times do I feel that Lidstrom could be argued as not the best, being the 1998-99 and 1999-2000 seasons when Al MacInnis and Chris Pronger won, and Pronger also took home the Hart.

So ultimately, IMHO, Lidstrom should have somewhere between 10-12 Norris wins. He has been outright cheated out of three victories (2009 Chara, 2004 Niedermayer, and 1998 Blake) and had that not occurred, he would likely be generally considered the greatest and most dominant defenseman of all-time. Even before 98, when he was the outright best, he was challenging for Norrises for six years. Lidstrom came into the league as one of the top 15-20 defensemen, as did Konstantinov. That event immediately changed the Wings from a mediocre team to a top team, in the same fashion as Yzerman's entrance allowed the Wings to emerge from the dungeon or Fedorov's entrance gave the Wings a second star player. The early 90s; with the emergence of Lidstrom, Konstantinov, Kozlov, and Osgood; as well as the acquisitions of Mike Vernon, Kris Draper, Brendan Shanahan, Igor Larionov, Slava Fetisov, and Larry Murphy; these are the things that are what defined the Wings' run in the 90s and allowed them to continue being successful. Through having a strong front office with Bowman, Holland, and Devellano, as well as strong scouting, they were able to select skilled players with low picks such as Datsyuk, Zetterberg, and others, as well as to make the "smart" move instead of the "big" move - and knowing when to make those moves. Players like Hasek, Schneider, Hull, Robitaille, Chelios, Whitney, Rafalski, Hossa, Conklin, Cleary, Eaves and more were strong acquisitions made via free agency or trade that helped and in some cases are still helping the Wings beyond their role.

The effect of Lidstrom leaving is unknown. He's a great defenseman, so that will hurt, but we'll get a skilled guy to help there. We have a leader in the locker room who can take on the mantle when Nick bows out. Is Z ready for full time? I think so. But I want to see Nick keep on as long as he's willing to play.

you sure about that one?

Scott= 81 GP 14 g 40 a 54 p
Lids= 81 gp 10 g 28 a 38 p

Unless im totally not seeing something or forget something.....
msg-10491-1258682020.jpg

I LIVE IN TEXAS SO I DON'T DESERVE HOCKEY

#64 Vladifan

Vladifan

Legend

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 11:21 AM

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=pke4k17zVBE

Thank you SO much for this! It is classic stuff and definitely a Keeper! :thumbup:

"He even ate with women who at that time were accorded the same status as the family donkey. Are we willing to break bread with, say, child sex slaves, transgender teens and undocumented workers? Because when Jesus comes back to Earth, that's where he'll be hanging."
You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.

#65 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 21,054 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 11:26 AM

Plus/Minus is a misleading stat between these 3 players. Lidstrom played in front of Jimmy Howard and his s***ty numbers, while Chara and Weber played in front of Thomas and Rinne, who put up amazing numbers (record numbers for Thomas).

Will someone explain to the morons on HFboards this one fact.

You could also explain that Lidstrom had way more points than Chara, enough for that to be a very significant fact that skewed the voting. Weber scored a lot as well, but the guy shoots about 800 times a game, so his goal total isn't as impressive as Nick's.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#66 MGreenberg

MGreenberg

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 11:48 AM

Congrats to Nick but the biggest joke was that Mike Gillis Won best GM. So just because they make it the Cup Finals, he gets best general manager? Guess Steve Yzerman bringing Tampa to being one win away from the Cup Finals after the Lightning miss the playoffs for four straight years means nothing.

#67 Mitchmac33

Mitchmac33

Come on son!

• PipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 11:56 AM

Congrats to Nick but the biggest joke was that Mike Gillis Won best GM. So just because they make it the Cup Finals, he gets best general manager? Guess Steve Yzerman bringing Tampa to being one win away from the Cup Finals after the Lightning miss the playoffs for four straight years means nothing.

I could be wrong, but i believe all the voting is done before the playoffs

#68 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 11:56 AM

I understand the beef from Nas and Bos fans. Just as I would if one of their guys won.
But I think that is reflected in the voting, and that all three had something they were the best at and something they were the worst at (of the three).
Very close race for the Norris this year, but I think we all knew that when the nominees were announced.
But I do think that Lids playing in front of the lesser netminder of the three weighed heavily in his favor.

"The more I know about people - the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock

#69 edicius

edicius

Professional drinker.

• HoF Booster
  • 25,212 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 12:14 PM

I still think Barry Trotz should have gotten the Jack Adams.

ABV_sig.png

Can't listen live? Check out MoreLikeRadio.org for show archives!

#70 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 12:18 PM

I still think Barry Trotz should have gotten the Jack Adams.

Agreed. I thought that was the only award of the night worthy of second-guessing.

cc_champs-5_zps34057ff0.png

#71 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,094 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 12:21 PM

All the people saying Nick shouldn't have won because of +/- are dummies. If Nick had the same stats, but was a +40, and lost, all the people saying he shouldn't have won would be crying foul saying what a travesty it was he didn't win.

I could care less what fans of other teams think, they don't watch Nick every game like we do and realize this Norris couldn't have been more deserving this year :thumbup:

#NOMOREKINDL

#72 commadore183

commadore183

Versus televised America's last nuclear bomb test

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,044 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 02:05 PM

Another Lidstrom for Norris?

Posted Image

Congrats to El Capitan for winning his 7th Norris award!
Mike Illich does not care about Detroit. Boycott 2013 Winter Cla$$ic.
Skilled hockey is, and will forever be, winning hockey. Deal with it.
"A perfect vision, some simple ways to let you know
Free range humans all couped up naked clone is playing lame" Avon by Queens of the Stone Age

#73 Cloune

Cloune

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 02:10 PM

Norris trophy is about the best defenseman overall (in all the game aspects) not just about +/- or points. Just look at the last fifteen years history of the trophy - almost never wins a defenseman with most points. There are simply more aspects to be considered, like quality of goalies, specific style of team gameplay, who is with whom in line, against who exactly they play and also when.
Both Boston and Anaheim had a huge luck this year that they avoided injuries and therefore played with a consistent team most of the season, unlike Detroit.

#74 Bannedforlife

Bannedforlife

your mom goes to college

• PipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 04:31 PM

Agreed. I thought that was the only award of the night worthy of second-guessing.

Ummm, ever hear of the Hart Trophy?

#75 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 07:57 PM

Ummm, ever hear of the Hart Trophy?

Posted Image

???

#76 Bannedforlife

Bannedforlife

your mom goes to college

• PipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 08:30 PM

Posted Image

???

You said the Jack Adams was the only trophy worthy of second guessing, but Corey Perry as league MVP is probably least deserving winner of the last 20 years.

#77 SuperNovaXll

SuperNovaXll

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,699 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 08:36 PM

Congrats to Nick for lucky number 7. Hope we will get to see 8 next year!
Long Island Wings Fan since 1991

#78 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 10:18 PM

You said the Jack Adams was the only trophy worthy of second guessing, but Corey Perry as league MVP is probably least deserving winner of the last 20 years.

I was just being an ass. I wouldn't call him undeserving. He might be a ******, but he was arguably the most valuable player to his team in the whole league.

#79 RockyMountainWingGal

RockyMountainWingGal

RockyMountainWingGal

• HoF Booster
  • 3,810 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 10:23 PM

Great post Eva. At least we agree on one player. ;)
New season, New start! May the force be with the Wings this time!

#80 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,339 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 10:45 PM

Great post Eva. At least we agree on one player. ;)

I'd re-read the hidden message he has in there...
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".