• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
GSBrooks13

Bettman Re-Alignment Proposal

Rate this topic

Lets go back to the Campbell Conference which consisted of the Norris Division and the Smythe Division & Wales Conference which consisted of the Adams Division and the Patrick Division.

Your proposal is good as long as teams have equal travel against the other divisions.

Otherwise, if you still have two Conferences, then the Central teams in your division will still have to do lots of travel to the West coast outside their time zones, and vice versa.

Those 4 divisions should become independent of one another, where everyone travels the same.

You also have to factor in what 4 divisions of 7 or 8 team does to scheduling. For example

teams play divisional rivals 4 times (2 home, 2 away) = 24 games for the 7 team divisions and 28 games for the 8 team divisions

play every team twice (home and away) = 46 games for 7 team division and 44 games for 8 team division

Total that up = 70 and 72

How you divide up those remaining 10 or 12 games is really the big question,

- do you play each team in your division an additional time? Doing so would essentially eliminate conferences since you be playing the other 3 division an almost equal amount of times.

- do you play the teams in the other division in your conference an extra games? This would essentially eliminate divisions since you'd only play your division 4 times vs 3.

*****with bonus game throw in to get up to 82

58 games for the home and home against every team in the league. The remain 24 are additional in-division games... which seems a little excessive to me.

I like the proposed playoff format because it is what makes teams hate each other if they are knocking each other out of the first round. Also, the league has done this in the past already when it was on the upswing.

With this just in talk right now I don't see it happening for the 2012-2013 season.

So here's my little dig, based upon certain parameters:

1. The article stated Bettman presented South, Midwest, East, Pacific. I'm working (loosely) based around that.

2. NO CONFERENCES. Focused divisional play with maybe home & homes outside of division. I hate this if its conferential

3. VERY IMPORTANT: the concept of what 'Midwest' is shifts northeast due to a northeastern bias of the teams in the league.

Now then...

PACIFIC: Colorado, Phoenix, Los Angeles, Anaheim, San Jose, Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary

SOUTH: Dallas, St. Louis, Nashville, Tampa Bay, Florida, Carolina, Washington

MIDWEST: Detroit, Chicago, Minnesota, Winnipeg, Toronto, Buffalo, Columbus, Pittsburgh

EAST: Montreal, Boston, New York I, New York R, New Jersey, Ottawa, Philadelphia

A huge pro of this: if Phoenix has to be relocated to QC, they can be moved from the Pacific to East while keeping acceptable parameters (Pacific goes from 8 to 7, East goes from 7 to 8). Also allows for an expansion that sticks 1 team in the East/Northeast (read: QC, Hamilton) and one team southish (KC or Houston).

1. The article stated Bettman presented South, Midwest, East, Pacific. I'm working (loosely) based around that.

2. NO CONFERENCES. Focused divisional play with maybe home & homes outside of division. I hate this if its conferential

3. VERY IMPORTANT: the concept of what 'Midwest' is shifts northeast due to a northeastern bias of the teams in the league.

Now then...

PACIFIC: Colorado, Phoenix, Los Angeles, Anaheim, San Jose, Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary

MIDWEST: Detroit, Chicago, Minnesota, Winnipeg, Toronto, Buffalo, Columbus, Pittsburgh

EAST: Montreal, Boston, New York I, New York R, New Jersey, Ottawa, Philadelphia

A huge pro of this: if Phoenix has to be relocated to QC, they can be moved from the Pacific to East while keeping acceptable parameters (Pacific goes from 8 to 7, East goes from 7 to 8). Also allows for an expansion that sticks 1 team in the East/Northeast (read: QC, Hamilton) and one team southish (KC or Houston).

So how dot he playoffs work? Top two from each division get in then the next 8 closest? Or just the top 2 from each division?

So how dot he playoffs work? Top two from each division get in then the next 8 closest? Or just the top 2 from each division?

Not a frigging clue, I'll let Betty figure that one out. I was just working on divisions based upon his supposed format.

Personal preference? Divisional playoffs followed by overall playoffs of some sort. Divisional playoffs would be nice rather than that 'lol auto in' stuff, and likewise, divisional playoffs can make for great rivalry buildup.

Edited by Datsyerberger

How do you balance a schedule with unbalanced conferences?

Very carefully. :ph34r:

Dunno, the NHL has had unbalanced divisions before so I suppose the best thing would be to check schedules from those years and see if they were balanced at all.

It's important to note that imbalanced divisions have only existed in the NHL when the NHL was on the upswing and in the midst of expansion every handful of years. A willingness to go to unbalanced divisions may also indicate desire/plans to expand (to 32 teams) within a handful of years, which would put the NHL at 4 divisions of 8.

Actually, if I had to take a srsbsns guess, I'd say the playoffs would be structured as such.

Divisional semifinals

Top 4 from each division make playoffs, 1 seed plays 4 seed, 2 plays 3 within division.

Divisional finals:

The 8 remaining teams play their remaining divisional rival, easy enough

Semifinals:

At this point, it goes to overall seeding to determine matchups with the 4 remaining teams. Should be 1 from each division, so simply base it off point standings. 1 vs 4, 2 vs 3

And then the SCF

I know we should be in the east in terms of where the state of Michigan is. But I love so many of the rivalries and mini-rivalries we have in the West. I will definitely miss facing western teams on a regular basis. I'm still really hoping we don't move to the East.

Your proposal is good as long as teams have equal travel against the other divisions.

Otherwise, if you still have two Conferences, then the Central teams in your division will still have to do lots of travel to the West coast outside their time zones, and vice versa.

Those 4 divisions should become independent of one another, where everyone travels the same.

I think regardless of how the divisions are set up, there is always going to be travel problems...there are only so many games in a season..more games would have to be added, or some teams taken away....You would have to spread travel out over a couple of seasons ie, Eastern Divison teams get the bulk of the out of time zone travel season one, Western Division teams etc...as long as the Flames and Oilers aren't playing each other 14 times a season, I'd take anything.

This hopefully will be the last time in a while that the cap goes up...otherwise there are going to be lots of struggling teams who aren't going to make the cap floor...but these are the teams that really don't really need to be around anyway....so travel would be a little easier if that's the case...But one thing is for sure is that Detroit needs to get out of the western division....

I'd love to see the Adams and Campbell conferences come back...first two rounds of the playoffs best of 5, Conference finals and Stanley Cup finals best of 7...No more than three days between any games, especially in the last two rounds...Have to stop having hockey go into mid June...I love hockey, but when you are playing hockey in Boston and it's 90 degrees, the ice is going to be horrible...

Now then...

this is terrible proposal that would pretty much upset everyone in the league. no offense

Edited by bogeygolfer

They should probably wait to radically re-align divisions until Phoenix situation is settled. They could be moving east still. Hulsizier pulled out.

according to reports both should finalized in december. I personally think they will contract phoenix until an arena in quebec city is built. So then there would be 3 divisions of 7 and 1 of 8.

this is terrible proposal that pretty much upset everyone in the league. no offense

Tell Bettman, not me :P I'm just presenting likely divisions based on the reported parameters of Bettman's proposal.

The other one I think is likely with said parameters:

Pacific:

VAN

CGY

EDM

SJS

LAK

ANA

PHX

COL/WPG

Midwest:

WPG/COL

MIN

CHI

DET

PIT

CBJ

PHI/BUF

East:

BUF/PHI

BOS

OTT

TOR

NYR

NYI

NJD

MTL

South:

WAS

CAR

FLA

TBL

NAS

DAL

STL

Do not like.

As that may be, if Bettman is making a proposal to the BOG, it likely means he's talked with many owners, has an idea of where they're at, and that his proposal or a modified form of his proposal has a solid chance of going through. I don't care for it as compared to other options, but I do recognize its upsides and would definitely like it more than what we (read: Wings fans) have now.

Tell Bettman, not me :P I'm just presenting likely divisions based on the reported parameters of Bettman's proposal.

The other one I think is likely with said parameters:

Pacific:

VAN

CGY

EDM

SJS

LAK

ANA

PHX

COL/WPG

Midwest:

WPG/COL

MIN

CHI

DET

PIT

CBJ

PHI/BUF

East:

BUF/PHI

BOS

OTT

TOR

NYR

NYI

NJD

MTL

South:

WAS

CAR

FLA

TBL

NAS

DAL

STL

no where in any news report did they mention 2 teams moving west so that dallas and st louis (mid-western teams) could play in the east. The eastern conference would be seperated into north and south. The west seperated into pacific and midwest. With one team moving east.

Also: I believe that ottawasun article might have been a bit misinformed about the details. Probably getting the bettman proposal and the blue jackets proposals mixed together.

Edited by bogeygolfer