• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#41 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,961 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 04:23 PM

That's not true, they could do it like baseball's American and National leagues. Then all teams would have to travel a ton. Or they could do a North-South Conference. I guess the only way to make it equal is to make it so everyone has to travel more, not less.

That's what I hinted at in the part below what you quoted. Just have an Eastern and Western Conference, with no divisions and 8 playoff teams in each Conference.

Don't know if they'll ever do away with the divisions altogether, but it's a thought.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#42 IllinoisRedWingsFan

IllinoisRedWingsFan

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 06:39 PM

Not a fan of it. My question is what if Phoenix moves to Quebec City next year?

#43 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,596 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 06:48 PM

Sounds interesting enough, re-alignment is way overdue. I'm not sure about the divisional matchups in the first round...although that could lead to some good playoff rivalries. It could get old after 3 or 4 seasons though.

As far as Phoenix moving to QC the season after next?...then more whining ensues lol.

#44 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,270 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 06:57 PM

There's still a possibility of a Northern/Southern Conference setup. Adopting the 6 division setup, most of the divisions remain intact while some get a swap of a few teams. Both conferences travel from coast to coast.

Northern Conference:
Northwest:
Vancouver
Calgary
Edmonton
Winnipeg
Minnesota

Midwest:
Chicago
Detroit
Toronto
Ottawa
Montreal

Northeast:
Buffalo
Boston
New York Rangers
New York Islanders
New Jersey

Southern Conference:
Southwest:
San Jose
Anaheim
Los Angeles
Phoenix
Colorado

Southeast:
Dallas
Florida
Tampa Bay
St. Louis
Nashville

Atlantic:
Carolina
Washington
Columbus
Pittsburgh
Philadelphia

My favorite part about this setup is that all of the Original Six teams are in one conference.

Not bad but switching Buffalo and Montreal makes much more sense geographically based on those divisions.

Also I'd change the name to Central instead of Midwest since very few of those cities are actually in the midwest.

Edited by hooon, 23 June 2011 - 06:58 PM.

Posted Image

#45 lookalive07

lookalive07

--19--

• PipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 07:43 PM

Good points. I felt a little weird putting Montreal in that division, but it felt fun to have 4 O6 teams in one division :)

Although 3 and 3 looks better.

Posted Image

#46 RedFX

RedFX

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 07:51 PM

Not a fan of the "top 4 making playoffs" idea....
-15-
Posted Image
"I don't like to be the pony. I like to be on top." -Pavel Datsyuk

#47 pjgj13

pjgj13

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 07:58 PM

Realign if they MUST but DO NOT and I repeat DO NOT make the playoffs a "top 4 in each division". There could be the chance that the last place team in one division COULD be better than the 2nd place team in the other division and that would be BS!!

I have always said get rid of the conference affiliations!! Either make the division 5-6 team divisions or 6-5 team divisions. How about having 1 team from each region in each division??

Something like this --

PHI, MON, CAR, STL, EDM
SJ, PIT, BUF, WIN, COL
VAN, ANA, NYR, TOR, FLA
DET, CAL, PHO, NJ, OTT
WAS, NAS, MIN, LA, NYI
BOS, TB, CHI, COL, DAL

That way, there would be no short travel road dates for the east and no long west coast trips for the west.

NO AUTOMATIC QUALIFIER for winning the division!!!!!!! Seed the entire playoffs like the NCAA tourney!!!!

#48 Manoir

Manoir

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 08:27 PM

I think NO divisions and just a straight 1-30 seeding is the way to go. Every team gets an equal amount of travel and it protects against teams moving and throwing the conferences out of whack (if PHX moves to Quebec city for example). Playoffs would be top 16 which would not guarantee that the Eastern teams would not have to travel as much. The only issue would be to protect rivalries, but most of those are geaographically based anyways so you'd adopt a formula where a team plays another team that is within a certain amount of miles away x number of times.

#49 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 08:52 PM

Bettman's just teasing us. He can say he's moving us East to gain our trust, then he'll reveal the rest of his plan:

Move all the other West teams to the East, and all the East teams to the West, then relocate the Prime Meridian to Central Asia, thus placing all of the US west of Pittsburgh in the Eastern hemisphere, to give some logic to the whole thing.

#50 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 09:42 PM

Not a fan, I like the way it is set up now.
"It is a lot easier to be an ******* to words than to people"-xkcd

Tootoo does NOT belong on this team. He is classless and I would rather see the Wings be bad than classless. I feel the same way about Bertuzzi as well, but he at least CAN make the team better. With Tootoo the team becomes worse and in danger of being classless. Would you have liked Claude on the team? Or Roy? No. So why would you be okay with that POS.

This thread has been closed due to emotions being higher than people's ability to read, interpret, and properly respond to simple posts.

#51 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,839 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 09:58 PM

I not only like the fact they admit a change is needed with the current set up, I also (very surprisingly) like what they choose...Creepy.
....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#52 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,956 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 10:01 PM

bettmans a total f***tard. thats the worst idea. hoard all the best teams in the eastern divisions and only allow 4 per division to make the playoffs? f*** that. the divisions involving the teams from the south and the west are gonna be so s***ty and they make the playoffs over better teams....

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#53 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,339 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 10:34 PM

Re-Elect Bettman! The man to move the Wings to the East!!!
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#54 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,937 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 01:16 AM

You guys realize the only reason Bettman is putting the possibility of Detroit moving east in a couple seasons out there is because he knows (just like we all do) that in December 2012 the ancient Mayans will return from the seventh dimension and team up with the Reptilian aliens from Nibiru to destroy the earth and enslave humanity.

No can do. The Nibiru Aliens were traded to Philly this afternoon for Pronger and future considerations.

On topic: I don't like lopsided divisions, but if they put Edmonton and Toronto as the extra teams, it'll all even out in the end.

#55 Shoreline

Shoreline

Panzerfaust

• HoF Booster
  • 12,817 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 01:28 AM

Bettman's just teasing us. He can say he's moving us East to gain our trust, then he'll reveal the rest of his plan:

Move all the other West teams to the East, and all the East teams to the West, then relocate the Prime Meridian to Central Asia, thus placing all of the US west of Pittsburgh in the Eastern hemisphere, to give some logic to the whole thing.

This sounds like it should be a commercial for the NHL Network, following their old theme of "making our defence our offence and our offence our defence". :thumbup:

Sounds interesting enough, re-alignment is way overdue. I'm not sure about the divisional matchups in the first round...although that could lead to some good playoff rivalries. It could get old after 3 or 4 seasons though.

As far as Phoenix moving to QC the season after next?...then more whining ensues lol.

Hopefully Doucheman folds the Ducks and has Selanne hired at Disneyland as a mascot of one of the Looney Tunes characters.

#56 Never_Retire_Steve

Never_Retire_Steve

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,156 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 02:01 AM

Wow.

Interesting idea, but they should either have 4 divisions with divisional playoffs to create rivalries and have more games within that division per year or totally scrap divisions and just have 2 conferences with balanced games and 1-8 seeding

#57 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 05:19 AM

Any idea to get the Wings to the Eastern Conference is a good one. Yes, I'm selfish in this regard. *shrugs*

+1 for Bettman, which is probably going to be rare.

#58 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,611 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 08:34 AM

Love the changes, especially to the playoff format. I can't believe Bettman actually came up with something brilliantly inventive. I've been wanting for years a mixup of playoff opponents. I hope it gets approved!

I'm not so concerned about rivalries. Most teams already have one and I imagine those will stay.

My only complaint is that the divisions should be done away with altogether. Or instead of letting 4 teams in each division in, just do the top two or something, and then let the bottom teams seed so that there's less chance of a worse team making it in over a better team that is ranked lower in their own division.

Edited by VM1138, 24 June 2011 - 08:39 AM.

Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#59 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 09:18 AM

WILDCARD *******!

Div 1:
Minnesota Wild
Chicago Blackhawks
St. Louis Blues
Dallas Stars
Colorado Avalanche
Phoenix Coyotes
Nashville Predators
Detroit Red Wings

Div 2:
Anaheim Ducks
Los Angeles Kings
San Jose Sharks
Vancouver Canucks
Winnipeg Jets
Edmonton Oilers
Calgary Flames
Detroit Red Wings

Div 3:
Detroit Red Wings
Pittsburgh Penguins
Toronto Maple Leafs
Ottawa Senators
Montreal Canadiens
Buffalo Sabres
New York Rangers
Boston Bruins

Div 4
Tampa Bay Lightning
Florida Panthers
Carolina Hurricanes
Washington Capitals
Detroit Red Wings
New Jersey Devils
Philadelphia Flyers
Columbus Blue Jackets
New York Islanders

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#60 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,961 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 11:12 AM

Honestly, this may offend some people, but this is what my dream NHL would look like. A combination of the late 80's, plus several of today's franchises.

Smythe

Canucks
Flames
Oilers
Sharks
Kings
Avalanche

Norris

Wings
Blues
Blackhawks
Maple Leafs
North Stars
Jets

Patrick

Penguins
Flyers
Rangers
Islanders
Devils
Capitals

Adams

Canadiens
Bruins
Sabres
Nordiques
Senators
Whalers

That's 24 total teams. Obviously, I would contract several franchises and move some others around. I know it would never happen, but like I said, this is what I prefer the divisions to look like in my dream world.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.