• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
plopster

This year's prospects

Rate this topic

So I noticed that its usually about 3-6 years after being drafted that we see the prospects get a chance at the top. Last year we already saw Cory Emmerton, and Jan Mursak, who were drafted in 2006. Will we see Daniel Larsson this year? How about Logan Pyett? How about Brendan Smith or Joakim Andersson? I was just looking back at the 06 and 07 drafts and noticed there were quite a few picks that didn't really make it anywhere or got traded. So these seem to be the only legitimate players. Any thoughts?

I really hope Larsson gets a real look at camp, it's risky to roll with young goalies, but I think he could be a star given the chance, hell he outplayed Jimmy in GR and look what Jimmy is doing now... I just don't want to see him get lost in the shuffle, just because he had more options and wanted to play in the NHL and felt he had nothing left to prove in the AHL...

We should see Smith and Tatar at some point. Probably McCollum again (ewww). Nyquist might get a glimps if the injuries get real bad. If Tardiff is still here he might get his shot. Other than that, I don't see anyone else.

I really hope Larsson gets a real look at camp, it's risky to roll with young goalies, but I think he could be a star given the chance, hell he outplayed Jimmy in GR and look what Jimmy is doing now... I just don't want to see him get lost in the shuffle, just because he had more options and wanted to play in the NHL and felt he had nothing left to prove in the AHL...

Yeah, I'm almost hoping Larrson is Howard's backup - he just seems really talented to me, and cocky goalies are not exactly the worst thing. Ideally he would be the starter in GR for one more year though.

I'm just excited to see what's going to happen at the draft. I always enjoy watching it on the TV and really wished they did full coverage of all 7 rounds. Can't wait to see what trades happen. While I don't think Detroit will do anything major at the Draft it would be kinda cool to see them do something. Wings are masters of the draft and are able to find the Diamonds in the Rough but it would be nice to see the Wings get a higher rated draft pick even though they don't need that type of immediate help.

Guest CaliWingsNut

Yeah, I'm almost hoping Larrson is Howard's backup - he just seems really talented to me, and cocky goalies are not exactly the worst thing. Ideally he would be the starter in GR for one more year though.

I don't like that idea. Mostly not because of Larrson. I want someone who is battle tested who will keep jimmy on his toes. His performance seems to slip some when he's comfortable in his role.

Potential prospect appearances:

Forwards:

Tomas Tatar

Gustav Nyqvist

Francis Pare

Defensemen:

Brendan Smith

Logan Pyett

Sergei Kolosov

Goaltenders:

Thomas McCollum

Jordan Pearce

Daniel Larsson

Kolosov is garbage and hasn't improved at all. Larsson isn't signed and Pearce will be the back-up to McCollum in GRap. Pare won't see any time unless 2 Wings forwards are injured and Nyquist and tatar and Tardiff are injured.

Kolosov is garbage and hasn't improved at all. Larsson isn't signed and Pearce will be the back-up to McCollum in GRap. Pare won't see any time unless 2 Wings forwards are injured and Nyquist and tatar and Tardiff are injured.

I don't think Tardif is coming back. He deserves a better shot at the NHL.

I don't think Tardif is coming back. He deserves a better shot at the NHL.

People saying things like this upset me. :( I hope he gets a shot in camp at being a 14th forward.

I the main call ups this year being Tatar and Smith. I can't see anyone else being ready/good enough to be called up, especially as iFlip isn't coming back and Tardif probably won't be either. Nyquist is far too young and I don't think Emmerton will clear waivers if he gets sent down.

I shudder to think how bad Grand Rapids are going to be next season, especially if Tardif goes elsewhere.

People saying things like this upset me. :( I hope he gets a shot in camp at being a 14th forward.

I the main call ups this year being Tatar and Smith. I can't see anyone else being ready/good enough to be called up, especially as iFlip isn't coming back and Tardif probably won't be either. Nyquist is far too young and I don't think Emmerton will clear waivers if he gets sent down.

I shudder to think how bad Grand Rapids are going to be next season, especially if Tardif goes elsewhere.

Hopefully this forces Nyquist, Joakim, Smith, and Tatar to be playing loads of ice time. Our coach is garbage down there and hopefully this short bench forces him to put OUR prospects in vital roles and no more 3rd 4th line duties. :ranting:

Jesper Samuelsson has some sort of wheat allergy and can't bulk up. From what I've read that is his main problem, and it will likely mean a career spent in Europe. I think its a very safe bet that we see Tatar and Smith in Detroit this season, but some of the other players that have been predicted for next year are ridiculous. Kolosov will never see a single game in the NHL. There would have to be a hell of a lot of injuries for Pare to make an appearance, although he is very capable in the A. McCollums call up last year was a joke and was only necessary because of injuries. Pearce has outplayed him by a mile, and Tom will have to make major, major strides in his game to have any chance at playing in the NHL this season. Realistically even if he does play well I doubt they call him up. He needs to build confidence up and a s*** show like he put on in Detroit, which wasn't completely his fault since he was nowhere near ready, will only have negative results. Pearce will likely grab the starting goalie slot in GR, not McCollum, and he has had strong play as of late which could warrant a call up. Daniel Larsson is an option if he commits to play in NA, but it would require signing him to a one way contract. He has made it abundantly clear that he will not play in the AHL again. Gustav Nyqvist looked great when I saw him play at the end of the season in GR last season, and if he continues to progress we could see him called up. Joakim Andersson needs some work, and I don't think we'll see him this season, but next year is a real possibility. Jamie Tardif is one of those fringe guys, and unfortunately there just isn't room for him in Detroit. He did mention last year that he purchased a home in Grand Rapids, so he may be in the system still. Guys like Fournier, Nestrasil, and the rest of the Griffs crew will need to develop more before a call up.

Jesper Samuelsson has some sort of wheat allergy and can't bulk up. From what I've read that is his main problem, and it will likely mean a career spent in Europe. I think its a very safe bet that we see Tatar and Smith in Detroit this season, but some of the other players that have been predicted for next year are ridiculous. Kolosov will never see a single game in the NHL. There would have to be a hell of a lot of injuries for Pare to make an appearance, although he is very capable in the A. McCollums call up last year was a joke and was only necessary because of injuries. Pearce has outplayed him by a mile, and Tom will have to make major, major strides in his game to have any chance at playing in the NHL this season. Realistically even if he does play well I doubt they call him up. He needs to build confidence up and a s*** show like he put on in Detroit, which wasn't completely his fault since he was nowhere near ready, will only have negative results. Pearce will likely grab the starting goalie slot in GR, not McCollum, and he has had strong play as of late which could warrant a call up. Daniel Larsson is an option if he commits to play in NA, but it would require signing him to a one way contract. He has made it abundantly clear that he will not play in the AHL again. Gustav Nyqvist looked great when I saw him play at the end of the season in GR last season, and if he continues to progress we could see him called up. Joakim Andersson needs some work, and I don't think we'll see him this season, but next year is a real possibility. Jamie Tardif is one of those fringe guys, and unfortunately there just isn't room for him in Detroit. He did mention last year that he purchased a home in Grand Rapids, so he may be in the system still. Guys like Fournier, Nestrasil, and the rest of the Griffs crew will need to develop more before a call up.

So basically you agree with me :P

And just a hint around here, paragraphs man, paragraphs.

It upsets me too but a guy like him should be in an organization that plays a style more suited for his style, strengths and work ethic. I can't bear to see a guy like him not get the call to be a black ace like last year.

Well - the reality is that roughly 90% of the players drafted in any draft won't see much NHL action.

That said there's really not many players under the age of 25 that's gonna turn heads in the NHL; 3rd liners like Helm, or #5/#6 Dmen like Kindl appears to be the status quo for the Red Wings.

Yep, and hockey fans across teh interwebz (including LGW) have a tendancy to massively over-rate prospects.

Hopefully this forces Nyquist, Joakim, Smith, and Tatar to be playing loads of ice time. Our coach is garbage down there and hopefully this short bench forces him to put OUR prospects in vital roles and no more 3rd 4th line duties. :ranting:

We've still got Minard and Johnson for 1 more year. Which were Holland's genius signings :rolleyes:

For anyone who didn't know, Bob MacNamara has stepped down as GM of GR and the Wings will be running the show down there from now on. Which doesn't fill me with hope.

What's wrong with that?

From a Griffins point of view, it means things will be run to benefit the Wings more than the Griffins in terms of playing staff or playing roles. I'm also concerned about translating their NHL philosophy on enforcers to the AHL where multiple enforcers are an absolute necessity.

I wasn't looking forward to the Griffins' next season and even less so now.