• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
crazy13

Habs shopping Wisniewksi's rights + for a 2nd rounder

Rate this topic

I wouldn't mind giving the Habs a second rounder. We lose a pick but we gain a guy who can play now instead of a guy who might be able to play five years down the road or just fizzle out in the AHL.

Hudler and a 2nd for Wisniewski would make me very happy.

Edited by MGreenberg

This is the dumbest thing I have ever heard.

If this were to happen, and I give it a 1% chance. I would demand Holland retires immediately.

Ugh, I wouldn't make that deal even if there was a contract in place.

Bottom line, he is from here. If the kid wants to play for the Wings he will have his chance to play for us. If he wants money more than that, would they ******* be able to convince him to sign before the UFA anyways? When you are talking about a UFA, unless that guy is going to be the most coveted player at the position why would you give up a second rounder?

The only way I see a trade like this happening is if Montreal grants Detroit permission to speak with Wisniewski's agent prior to July 1st (think Marian Hossa in 2009, though Detroit didn't trade him prior). If they have a deal in place and Detroit doesn't want to run the risk of another club offering bigger money and term clouding things you make that deal. That's it.

The moves made today now makes Chicago a potential suitor (another tour there? meh), and the Montreal beat writer that first mentioned the Habs were shopping his rights replied to me via Twitter that he's heard on the draft floor that the Wild were interested in trading for Wisniewski's rights as well.

There are plenty of suitors for Wisniewski -- and all the warm fuzzy "pls home HOME!!!1!" talk means less and less the more years and million(s) you attach to a contract. Make no mistake, if Wisniewski hits the open market I would be shocked if the Wings would have the highest offer on the table for him.

There are plenty of suitors for Wisniewski -- and all the warm fuzzy "pls home HOME!!!1!" talk means less and less the more years and million(s) you attach to a contract. Make no mistake, if Wisniewski hits the open market I would be shocked if the Wings would have the highest offer on the table for him.

This. I think a lot of people get caught up on the idea that Wisniewski would actually take a hometown discount, or has been waiting to come to Detroit, when that simply isn't the case. If Holland feels this is what needs to be done to secure a player the Wings want - then by all means.

It's a different situation that Bryzgalov, who wasn't getting paid by his team no matter what, and Liles in that Montreal is forcing the hand of Wiz's potential suitors.

Even if they did lose out on him, not worth a 2nd. We are the Wings. We can sign a UFA. Honestly if we missed out on him and had to go down and sign someone like Andy Greene or Montador. We could take that second pick and trade for someone better.

Oh, please. The "WE ARE THE WINGZ" talk only reaches so far. And if we did miss out on him and he was the Wings' true target... Who are we going to get for that second rounder that's better and available? At that age, skill level, etc.. Let me know and ease my mind a bit.

BRYZ WAS TRADED FOR A 3RD!!! That was a while ago, and included the number one goaltender, where there is only two quality UFA's. Liles got traded for a second for crying out loud. Not the rights.

Comparing a defenseman to a high-priced goaltender is apples and oranges. Phoenix had a VERY limited market to sell him to because of all the talk from Bryzgalov's camp about breaking the bank this summer and the fact that he's gotten shelled in the playoffs for two years now. Phoenix was lucky to even get anything, let alone a third, before he hit the market. Heck, Vokoun was still out there, so that even further diluted the market for elite netminders.

The market for young, skilled defenseman about to hit free agency is markedly higher.

Heck, the more I think about it.... What's to really stop Chicago from making a run at Wisniewski to keep him from Detroit while bolstering their own lineup? It's a double-whammy: You keep him from your chief divisional rival (because he fills a glaring need for that club), he's already spent nearly four years with your club previously, you *do* have the need on defense, etc.. What's not to like about that if you're Chicago, unless you've got your eyes on a bigger free agent fish?

Simple reply - why not give up OUR late 2nd rd pick in a weak draft, as long as we can iron out a deal beforehand? Well worth it in my mind...

i would give the 54th pick if it meant getting wiz for sure. all the guys the wings draft will be 4-5 years away if they even make the nhl. wiz helps us now.. there will be plenty more drafts for th wings where they will hit a home run, they still even could in this draft.

Oh, please. The "WE ARE THE WINGZ" talk only reaches so far. And if we did miss out on him and he was the Wings' true target... Who are we going to get for that second rounder that's better and available? At that age, skill level, etc.. Let me know and ease my mind a bit.

Yeah, most of the Wings draft picks don't play until they have spent a few years in the AHL, which is good for development and all and making players NHL ready but that doesn't help us now. Wisniewski would help fill the gap that Raffi left and for how much I don't know but here is hoping he would take something like 4.25 to 4.75 to come to a solid team like the Wings. Guess it depends on the kind of person he is, what matters more to him. A chance to win Cups or Money?

Maybe I'm wrong but when I first read the twitter report i thought it said. " Ottawa looking for a 2nd round for Wisniewski +" im assuming the plus mesnt more would be coming in return for the 2nd probably depending where it is. Also our last pick in the second round is a lot different the the 35th pick. I don't have a link maybe some one could help but a 2nd for wiz and a pick in return I could def do. To get an edge on everyone else and keep his cap hit lower.

DailyCanadiens Your Canadiens

#Habs Pierre Gauthier trying to acquire a 2nd rounder, shopping the rights to James Wisniewski +, per MA Godin.

Edited by Crashnburnluder

Comparing a defenseman to a high-priced goaltender is apples and oranges. Phoenix had a VERY limited market to sell him to because of all the talk from Bryzgalov's camp about breaking the bank this summer and the fact that he's gotten shelled in the playoffs for two years now. Phoenix was lucky to even get anything, let alone a third, before he hit the market. Heck, Vokoun was still out there, so that even further diluted the market for elite netminders.

The market for young, skilled defenseman about to hit free agency is markedly higher.

You missed the point about Liles. Liles is not as good as Wisniewski, is SIGNED, and was acquired for a second rounder. So we're looking at the top free agent goaltender's rights traded for a third, and a defenseman who is not as good as Wiz acquired for a second.

Does that add up to sending Montreal a second? Methinks it points to a third as proper value for his rights, if not lower.

You don't want to get rid of a 2nd for rights, but you want to get rid of a player for rights and a 2nd?

I'd like to trade Hudler to free up some roster/cap space and I don't think we'd get much more than a 2nd for him. We got Stuart for a 2nd and a 4th and Stuart > Hudler.

I'd like to trade Hudler to free up some roster/cap space and I don't think we'd get much more than a 2nd for him. We got Stuart for a 2nd and a 4th and Stuart > Hudler.

Why is everyone so quick to send off Hudler after one bad season? He deserves at least up until next season's trade deadline before he is moved. If he is sucking up to that point, then i'm for him being traded, but until then, people gotta get off his back. He (and Filppula) were huge assets when the Wings won the Cup in 08.

It's worth mentionig that in these type of deals the pick is, usually, conditional, Holland would only lose the 2nd if he can't come to an agreement with Wishnewski. With that in mind, it'd have to be a pick in 2012 and not one of Ottawa's picks.

Why is everyone so quick to send off Hudler after one bad season? He deserves at least up until next season's trade deadline before he is moved. If he is sucking up to that point, then i'm for him being traded, but until then, people gotta get off his back. He (and Filppula) were huge assets when the Wings won the Cup in 08.

he did have pretty big expectations after blowing up the A his last year there. sure he went to russia and got cold or whatever, but hockey's hockey and if you don't maintain high expectations of yourself than that's your own fault, not the fault of a lesser league or coach. and he always seems to be in babcock's doghouse, who wants a team of hustlers who never let off the gas pedal. is that hudler or does he want to find somebody who is?

He (and Filppula) were huge assets when the Wings won the Cup in 08.

brad stuart had 3 less points than hudler those playoffs in the same amount of games.

brad "lightning hands" stuart.

The Wings won't even try to get Wisniewski through trade. They value their draft picks to much. I understand that the picks are valuable but just thinking about the Sharks getting Brent Burns and Chicago getting Cap space through trading Campbell, I'm very nervous for the upcoming year and fear that the wings will drop in the standings. I'm tired of teams like the sharks knocking us out and when they strengthen their team and we haven't done anything. July 1st is going to be a very stressful day for Detroit Hockey fans.

he did have pretty big expectations after blowing up the A his last year there. sure he went to russia and got cold or whatever, but hockey's hockey and if you don't maintain high expectations of yourself than that's your own fault, not the fault of a lesser league or coach. and he always seems to be in babcock's doghouse, who wants a team of hustlers who never let off the gas pedal. is that hudler or does he want to find somebody who is?

Hudler has been in Babcock's doghouse his entire career. That's the primary reason he went to the KHL; because he wasn't being given a fair shot. Hudler was outplaying Kopecky and Filppula, yet both were given top six chances Hudler was not. Now, obviously, Hudler was in the doghouse early last season because he earned it. And he managed to play himself out of it. And in the playoffs, he was one of the team's best three or four forwards against Phoenix. When a handful of guys didn't produce against San Jose and Babcock wanted to shake it up, Hudler was the scratch, even though he was still creating scoring chances that simply weren't going in.

brad stuart had 3 less points than hudler those playoffs in the same amount of games.

brad "lightning hands" stuart.

I think you mean that Stuart played one fewer game and scored seven fewer points. Your statement is correct if you replace "brad stuart" with "valtteri filppula" because that's how it was.

So what will all the 'trade him for dirt!' guys do if Hudler does get shipped out and produces elsewhere? Will he get the Quincey / Leino / Fleischmann / Ritola Hall of Fame treatment?

Because this isn't 2008.

It's 4 seasons later.

It's not because he sucks (not that I'm saying he does), it because we have too many 2nd/3rd liners taking up roster space and cap money that could be used to get a bonafide top 6 scorer or two.

Edited by Z and D for the C