• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Matt

2011 NHL Draft: Rounds 2-7 Discussion

Rate this topic

really? the one's i've seen he's done quite well in, and quite willing.

Agreed, his first couple of fights ended up mainly being just wrestling matches, but his last couple he threw some really good quick punches, knocking the helmet off his opponents with the first punch. You gotta figure a guy his size as a 17 year old fighting 20 year old experienced fighters will only improve in his technique, and he has room for 15-20 pounds on his frame. Reminds me a bit of Jiri Fischer

Not the best of fighters, relies too much on his size and seems to only go after smaller guys. Plus in one of the videos he lays a nasty knee on knee to a guy. If he cleans up his act I'd be more excited, but I know all the enforcer slappies are drooling over this goon. If he works on his game, I'll start to get excited, but as I see it, he won't ever make the Wings or the Griffins.

Not the best of fighters, relies too much on his size and seems to only go after smaller guys. Plus in one of the videos he lays a nasty knee on knee to a guy. If he cleans up his act I'd be more excited, but I know all the enforcer slappies are drooling over this goon. If he works on his game, I'll start to get excited, but as I see it, he won't ever make the Wings or the Griffins.

It was his first year fighting, so I'll take his willingness as a positive. I've watched all his fights he doesn't seem to deliberately pick on smaller players. If anything, I wouldn't be surprised if the older (smaller) players are trying to test him. Most of his fights are agreed on beforehand, or he is challenged.

The knee was bad, but it was also a reaction play and most players do that at least once in their career (instinct over thinking).

I'd be happy if he turns out to be a punishing shut-down dman, as it is a need for the Wings.

Alexei Marchenko is a very good two way defenseman who can be effective at both ends of the ice. He plays an aggressive style back in the zone, but without being unnecessarily dirty. One of his top features is his ability in avoiding PIMs. He is also an excellent team player and listens to the coach’s assigned tasks. Marchenko has a very good technique and puck handling, as well as a very good skating, both forward and backwards. His passing game is well above the average too. His downside as offensive player is that he doesn’t have a great shot and he has to improve in this area. He also needs to bulk up and fill his frame for the more demanding North American game. He has a bright future in front of him.

-Russianprospect.com

If Marchenko has the dedication and ambition to play in the NHL and not stay in Russia, he will be a very very good hockey player:

Talent Analysis

Alexei Marchenko is a very good two way defenseman who can be effective at both ends of the ice. He plays an aggressive style back in the zone, but without being unnecessarily dirty. One of his top features is his ability in avoiding PIMs. He is also an excellent team player and listens to the coach’s assigned tasks. Marchenko has a very good technique and puck handling, as well as a very good skating, both forward and backwards. His passing game is well above the average too. His downside as offensive player is that he doesn’t have a great shot and he has to improve in this area. He also needs to bulk up and fill his frame for the more demanding North American game. He has a bright future in front of him.

Future

Even if he isn’t one of the top ranked players for the draft, Marchenko can end up as one of the best defensemen of the 2010 selections. Since he missed the U18s he was probably underscouted and thus he won’t be a top pick, but he surely has a very high ceiling due to his very good two way play. He can become a reliable defenseman with a knack for offensive play, a player that can be effective in

http://www.nhl.com/i...l.htm?dpid=2475

He was ranked #12 in the 2010 draft. Any reason why he wasn't taken last year?

He's stated before that he wants to stay in Russia.

So... wasted pick.

He's probably the best DMan in the entire draft, but I really don't see him coming over. He has an amazing skillset and hell, in 2009, he was anointed the "next" face of the KHL. And this is what he said about the KHL and NHL:

How do you think, is it really possible that Russian young players will stop dreaming about the NHL and understand that there is a great opportunity for them to play in Russia?

All depends on the KHL. The NHL, thanks to his enormous history and such, it’s a lot popular. There are a lot of spectators and the media reports about everything. If in the KHL it will be the same, then what’s the point of going there? It’s a matter of organization.

I wasn't really following. Did Wings draft anyone like this:

• Height 5'7
  • Weight 250
  • Born in Sweden
  • Grew up at a farm in Ontario
  • First name Björn or Håkan
  • Last name Smith or Jones
  • Right hand shot
  • Dekes and fights
  • A natural sniper
  • Can be a top 6 forward and a top 4 defenceman at the same time
  • Atheist
  • Quote: "My main goal in life is to please everyone."

?

I wasn't really following. Did Wings draft anyone like this:

• Height 5'7
  • Weight 250
  • Born in Sweden
  • Grew up at a farm in Ontario
  • First name Björn or Håkan
  • Last name Smith or Jones
  • Right hand shot
  • Dekes and fights
  • A natural sniper
  • Can be a top 6 forward and a top 4 defenceman at the same time
  • Atheist
  • Quote: "My main goal in life is to please everyone."

?

Don't believe Eva when he tells you we already have that in Hudler.

-Russianprospect.com

evidently he has a blood disorder.

http://www.draftsite.com/nhl/player/alexander-marchenko/17067