• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Matt

2011 NHL Draft: Rounds 2-7 Discussion

Rate this topic

the Marchenko pick was a steal that low. He is one of the best D men if not the best, in his age group in Russia.The fact he stated he wouldnt leave russia before last years draft put off all the teams and he didnt get drafted. Someone within the Wings scouting has obviously talked to him and given the top brass the green light about his change of heart. Im pumped about getting Jurco, but this pick could be a brilliant move by the front office boys.

the Marchenko pick was a steal that low. He is one of the best D men if not the best, in his age group in Russia.The fact he stated he wouldnt leave russia before last years draft put off all the teams and he didnt get drafted. Someone within the Wings scouting has obviously talked to him and given the top brass the green light about his change of heart. Im pumped about getting Jurco, but this pick could be a brilliant move by the front office boys.

It's possible that Marchenko is a case of either

A: I really don't want to be drafted by some crap team when I could be a star over here in the KHL. Red Wings, you say? See ya, Motherland.

B: Would rather not play in the AHL etc; wants to prove self in KHL and either have a solid career there or be brought directly to the NHL after proving himself there. Possible the Red Wings like his potential enough to offer him that opportunity.

Frankly, I can't say I blame him in either scenario. I'd rather make pretty good money, with no taxes, on a great KHL team than get stuck in some cesspit of NHL mediocrity and get under valued contracts on behalf of poor team performance, if I'm a Russian guy and can play at home in a good league. Likewise, I'd much rather play in the KHL for several million dollars a year than risk losing that a couple years playing in the AHL, possibly lowering the value of my future contracts as well, and also possibly making less money in the NHL a couple years after that until I prove my NHL worthiness. For losses that could mount up to $10m+ dollars in a sport that can have career ending or damaging injuries fairly frequently, that's a big risk.

I have no problems with the Wings bringing a guy directly into the NHL if they think he's good enough. I wonder if that's the case with Marchenko.

I think you're reading too much into it. Its more likely that they decided that none of the remaining players in the 7th round had any shot of ever making it to the NHL anyway and decided it was better to take the risk on Marchenko on the off chance that he could be persuaded to come to the NHL someday. Im not saying he'll never play for the Red Wings, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Sooo I have read a lot of people saying Marchenko was the best defensive player in this years draft. I know nothing about him or how good he is, but in a draft that involved larsson, Hamilton, and a couple others I don't know how to take those comments.

Crash

Great picks, I already love this offseason. Jurco is amazing. Sproul is also interesting name, big defenceman with huge right-handed shot.

Edited by Jusek

A top six of all european? :nono:

Sheahan a euro now? It now makes a perfect sense why the wings drafted him! Hes a secret euro.

Edited by Shaman464

I think you're reading too much into it. Its more likely that they decided that none of the remaining players in the 7th round had any shot of ever making it to the NHL anyway and decided it was better to take the risk on Marchenko on the off chance that he could be persuaded to come to the NHL someday. Im not saying he'll never play for the Red Wings, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

This.

Jurco is going to have all the skill needed. He just needs to mature a ton. He is a cocky ****** bag who thinks it is important to look good rather than win. That habit could break him, and many GMs knew this. Worth a risky 2nd round pick though.

He seemed to fall because of his inconsistency. I've read scouting reports that called him mature so I'm interested in where you got your "cocky ****** bag" info.

Here's a snippet from a Red Wings scout:

"Gerard Gallant speaks very highly of him with regard to his character, his background and his work ethic,” Leach said.

Like I said-- I'd like to see where you read that he's a ******.

Saw it in the video report of him during the draft. Said he often rubs his teammates the wrong way by practicing and using trick moves in games. I have no idea how to track that footage down. It was on the TSN feed.

Really like this draft class. I love that Holland has the balls and luxury of not having to look for the more "NHL-ready" players and instead drafts players who have the talent to potentially be real impact players, not just pluggers.

And Holland will bring Marchenko into the US in a suitcase, voluntarily or not.

I will pack the suitcase myself. Throw in some vodka and caviar so he doesn't go hungry and we will slip out the back.

In say 4-5 years...

Filppula - Datsyuk - Franzen

Tatar - Zetterberg - Jurco

Nyquist - Jarnkrok - Pulkkinen

Abdealkder - Helm - Mursak

Sheahan, Andersson, Ferraro all there or there abouts too.

Scary. Obviously a few what if's, but still...

:lol:

That lineup would make last year's team look like the Broad Street Bullies.

He seemed to fall because of his inconsistency. I've read scouting reports that called him mature so I'm interested in where you got your "cocky ****** bag" info.

Here's a snippet from a Red Wings scout:

Like I said-- I'd like to see where you read that he's a ******.

Exactly, i've never heard a bad thing about him, except from opposing goalies. As soon as he found out he was drafted by the Wings he immediately went to the media to gush about Zetterberg and Datsyuk and said it's been a lifelong dream to play with Datsyuk some day...

Doesn't sound like a cocky douchebag...

Plus, i highly doubt TSN would ever use the phrase "cocky douchebag".

:lol:

That lineup would make last year's team look like the Broad Street Bullies.

And that team would skate circles around last years team...your point?

From the draft wrap-up by Khan on Mlive, it sounds like the Wings scouts had already met with him numerous times, and are confident he will come over - as early as next year.

Exactly, i've never heard a bad thing about him, except from opposing goalies. As soon as he found out he was drafted by the Wings he immediately went to the media to gush about Zetterberg and Datsyuk and said it's been a lifelong dream to play with Datsyuk some day...

Doesn't sound like a cocky douchebag...

Plus, i highly doubt TSN would ever use the phrase "cocky douchebag".

And that team would skate circles around last years team...your point?

Actually, they wouldn't skate circles around anyone.

They'd just skate in circles period.

Guest Heaten

This should put this to rest. Directly from Nill's mouth:

"He’s one of the better young defensemen in Russia," Nill said. "Our Russian scouts know him well and he says he wants to come out in a year. So we feel we have the ability to get him (to North America) if we need to."

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2011/06/red_wings_thrilled_to_land_tom.html

Loving this pick and I know some others will love it too.

The Wings continued what has become a theme this year. They drafted a player who is:

-Big

-Playing in the CHL

-From the former Czechoslovakia (he’s from the Czech Republic though, while Jurco and Tvrdon are from Slovakia)

Richard Nedomlel joined the Swift Current Broncos of the WHL this past season, his first in North America.

If you’re looking for a defenseman to score goals for your team, Nedomlel is not your guy.

If you want someone to run the other team through the boards, give him a call.

At 6’4″ and 204 pounds, Nedomlel is a beast on the ice. In 2009-2010, his last year in the Czech league, he put up 221 penalty minutes in just 41 games, while helping his team win the league championship.

In his first year with Swift Current, he had 107 PIM in 66 games. He had 7 fights this season, and I’ve noticed two things about his fights.

First, he is usually standing up for his teammates when he drops the gloves.

Second, he doesn’t lose fights. He uses his long reach and a powerful right jab to keep opponent’s at bay, and usually scores the take down as well.

He reminds me of a young Derian Hatcher, who was among the best “tough guy” defenders in the league for a time. Really excited to see if this guy can hack it at the professional level, because he is as tough as they get.

http://sportsnationnetwork.com/mu/offwingview/2011/06/25/red-wings-draft-picks-richard-nedomlel/

Edited by redwingfan19

Was a great draft. Lots of size and skill. Defence cupboard got re-stocked well :thumbup:

Exactly. That first round trade for the two second rounders was monumental. We drafted unarguably the best defender in the draft in the 7th round and got arguably the best offensive defensemen with one of those 2nd rounders. On top of that, we got an uber light Derian Hatcher and a guy who is bigger than Datsyuk, but pattens his game after him. Last year we got the best young gun in the SML and one of the best Swedish young guns in the SEL, size be damned. This season we got bigger, meaner, and Czechoslovakianer,