• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Matt

2011 NHL Draft: Rounds 2-7 Discussion

Rate this topic

Exactly. That first round trade for the two second rounders was monumental. We drafted unarguably the best defender in the draft in the 7th round and got arguably the best offensive defensemen with one of those 2nd rounders. On top of that, we got an uber light Derian Hatcher and a guy who is bigger than Datsyuk, but pattens his game after him. Last year we got the best young gun in the SML and one of the best Swedish young guns in the SEL, size be damned. This season we got bigger, meaner, and Czechoslovakianer,

Clearly Holland addressed this teams needs by drafting a lot of large guys that can czech people.

:ph34r:

Exactly. That first round trade for the two second rounders was monumental. We drafted unarguably the best defender in the draft in the 7th round and got arguably the best offensive defensemen with one of those 2nd rounders. On top of that, we got an uber light Derian Hatcher and a guy who is bigger than Datsyuk, but pattens his game after him. Last year we got the best young gun in the SML and one of the best Swedish young guns in the SEL, size be damned. This season we got bigger, meaner, and Czechoslovakianer,

Umm? I hope you were joking when you said that or had a typo of some kind. I love the wings but lets not get to homerish here. I feel like a 4 year old could make an argument that Larsson or Hamilton for example are better defenders than Marchenko.

I know this board is for wings fans and everything but sometimes things get a little too homerish around here. Yeah that was a HUGE pickup in the 7th round and he could be a player, but he was still a 7th round pick and has plenty of question marks around him

Umm? I hope you were joking when you said that or had a typo of some kind. I love the wings but lets not get to homerish here. I feel like a 4 year old could make an argument that Larsson or Hamilton for example are better defenders than Marchenko.

I know this board is for wings fans and everything but sometimes things get a little too homerish around here. Yeah that was a HUGE pickup in the 7th round and he could be a player, but he was still a 7th round pick and has plenty of question marks around him

Not joking at all, he could jump in right now in a top 4 role and not look out of place on a championship caliber team. He might be over here for the 2012-2013 season, that's how good he is. Read up on him, I think you'll like what you read. He's also slated to be the captain of the Russian WJHC in December. How many 7th rounders are captains of their WJHC? And no, Italy or Japan don't count lol.

And he doesn't have "plenty of question makrs", he only has one. The only reason he was passed over his initial year was because he had mono and a spleen disease that was misdiagnosed as a heart defect, but that has since been rectified and the reason he went so late in this draft was because he stated he'd rather stay in Russia and help the game grow there. I promise you, the first couple Russian that went are better than half of the 1st round player that were drafted. Russians just have that stigma, right or wrong, that they are either lazy or don't have a willingness to move.

Plus...he's right handed :)

More on Jurco from his coach:

It didn't hurt that Sea Dogs head coach Gerard Gallant — a former Red Wings star on the wing of Steve Yzerman — gave Jurco a ringing endorsement. "Gerard Gallant speaks very highly of him with regard to his character, his background and his work ethic," Leach said.

He also had 5 points in the 4 memorial cup games. Those "lazy/floating" rumors are just that, rumors. He was bumped fromt he first line to the second line during the season in light of two other first rounder on his team and was also moved to the second PP unit as well.

More on Tvrdon:

The Red Wings' scouts in Slovakia and the Czech Republic gave Tvrdon rave reviews as an underager in 2009-10. He piled up 25 goals and 31 assists for 56 points in 45 games at the under-20 level in Slovakia that season and added three goals and an assist at the world under-18 championship. The Red Wings also received assurance from Tvrdon that he's back to 100 percent from surgery already and that he'll be ready to go in the fall. Since he hasn't played in almost a year, some patience might be required — but the hope is Tvrdon will eventually pick up where he left off last October and emerge as a high-end prospect.
Edited by Konnan511

This should get people excited about Sproul:

Sproul actually started the season at the junior A level with the Vaughan (Ont.) Vipers because he still intended to go the NCAA route. Without so much as an OHL intrasquad scrimmage under his belt when he finally decided to report to the Greyhounds in late September, playing major junior presented many challenges. But he was downright impressive in the new year, piling up 11 goals and 13 assists for 24 points during a 23-game stretch from Jan. 14 to March 6, including a hat trick among a pair of four-point outings.

Only Ryan Murphy had more goals down the stretch, and Sproul finished fifth among all blueliners in goals and No. 1 among rookies. He was also second among rookie defense scoring.

In say 4-5 years...

Filppula - Datsyuk - Franzen

Tatar - Zetterberg - Jurco

Nyquist - Jarnkrok - Pulkkinen

Abdealkder - Helm - Mursak

Sheahan, Andersson, Ferraro all there or there abouts too.

Scary. Obviously a few what if's, but still...

:puke:

if Helm and Abdelkader are still playing on the 4th line in 5 years, then please Mr. I, sell the team and let them move to Egypt...

how do you pronounce Tvrdon?

Verd-on is my guess. The T has to be silent, but my knowledge of Solvakian is not great... But everyone seems to go with Tuh-Vuhr-dun.

"TEE vuhr dehn" is the pronunciation given on the NHL official guide for Roman Tvrdon of the Capitals.

So I am not sure, there are my only leads.

I could see a heated thread in the future over this...

All I know is I respect Ken Daniels as my pronunciation guide.

It bugs me how so many other players we have, have different names when playing on national TV (NBC, CBC, VS) The one that bugs me the most is Franzen. Ken says Fron-zen, they say FRAN-zen...

Anyone have footage of Tvrdon saying it?

RAGE for typing doodle slang from a cell phone to post twitter when in a hurry, excited and nervous all at the same time. He must hate DRWs :rolleyes:

I didn't rage, it was more sarcasm. I love this kid.