• Please log in to reply
278 replies to this topic

#221 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 10:39 PM

Jurco is going to have all the skill needed. He just needs to mature a ton. He is a cocky ****** bag who thinks it is important to look good rather than win. That habit could break him, and many GMs knew this. Worth a risky 2nd round pick though.

Only one player under six foot in this draft. Pretty good for one of the smallest teams in the league.
"It is a lot easier to be an ******* to words than to people"-xkcd

Tootoo does NOT belong on this team. He is classless and I would rather see the Wings be bad than classless. I feel the same way about Bertuzzi as well, but he at least CAN make the team better. With Tootoo the team becomes worse and in danger of being classless. Would you have liked Claude on the team? Or Roy? No. So why would you be okay with that POS.

This thread has been closed due to emotions being higher than people's ability to read, interpret, and properly respond to simple posts.

#222 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 10:45 PM

http://mobile.mlive....o91MDDp&src=cat

Khan's article

Lot of teams wanted the 35th pick.
Wings thrilled about Jurco.
Tried to add even more 2nd rounders.
Confident Marchenko will come over.
Red Kelly #4 and Larry Aurie #6 belong in the rafters!!!

"For my game, I don't need to score the goal," Konstantinov once explained. "I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals."

#223 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 11:53 PM

http://mobile.mlive.com/advdetroit/db_96962/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=do91MDDp&src=cat

Khan's article

Lot of teams wanted the 35th pick.
Wings thrilled about Jurco.
Tried to add even more 2nd rounders.
Confident Marchenko will come over.

These last two years have been really damned exciting for the Wings when it comes to the draft. Its nice to see a mix of risk and reward.
Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#224 Heaten

Heaten

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 12:49 AM

What a line of Jurco-Sheahan-Jarnkrok will be...

#225 Shaman

Shaman

• Silver Booster
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 01:11 AM

What a line of Jurco-Jarnkrok-Pulkkinen will be...

Fixed for you :P
Im Wasser verbrannt

#226 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 01:19 AM

What a line of Jurco-Sheahan-Jarnkrok will be...

Replace Jarnkrok with Nyquist.

Jarnkrok will be too busy centering Tatar and Pulkkinen.

#227 Andy Pred 48

Andy Pred 48

Coming soon,"the slovak line" Marek and 2 Toms!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 02:17 AM

the Marchenko pick was a steal that low. He is one of the best D men if not the best, in his age group in Russia.The fact he stated he wouldnt leave russia before last years draft put off all the teams and he didnt get drafted. Someone within the Wings scouting has obviously talked to him and given the top brass the green light about his change of heart. Im pumped about getting Jurco, but this pick could be a brilliant move by the front office boys.
"What are you guys doing?" Reggie Dunlop
"Putting on the foil coach" Jeff Hanson
"Yeah, every game, you want some coach?" Steve Hanson
"Er, no. No thanks guys." Reggie Dunlop
"Make sure they don't leave the bench!" Reggie Dunlop.

#228 Datsyerberger

Datsyerberger

"Dat's yer burger, Hank."

• HoF Booster
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 02:39 AM

the Marchenko pick was a steal that low. He is one of the best D men if not the best, in his age group in Russia.The fact he stated he wouldnt leave russia before last years draft put off all the teams and he didnt get drafted. Someone within the Wings scouting has obviously talked to him and given the top brass the green light about his change of heart. Im pumped about getting Jurco, but this pick could be a brilliant move by the front office boys.

It's possible that Marchenko is a case of either

A: I really don't want to be drafted by some crap team when I could be a star over here in the KHL. Red Wings, you say? See ya, Motherland.

B: Would rather not play in the AHL etc; wants to prove self in KHL and either have a solid career there or be brought directly to the NHL after proving himself there. Possible the Red Wings like his potential enough to offer him that opportunity.

Frankly, I can't say I blame him in either scenario. I'd rather make pretty good money, with no taxes, on a great KHL team than get stuck in some cesspit of NHL mediocrity and get under valued contracts on behalf of poor team performance, if I'm a Russian guy and can play at home in a good league. Likewise, I'd much rather play in the KHL for several million dollars a year than risk losing that a couple years playing in the AHL, possibly lowering the value of my future contracts as well, and also possibly making less money in the NHL a couple years after that until I prove my NHL worthiness. For losses that could mount up to $10m+ dollars in a sport that can have career ending or damaging injuries fairly frequently, that's a big risk.

I have no problems with the Wings bringing a guy directly into the NHL if they think he's good enough. I wonder if that's the case with Marchenko.
If some bored artist wants to make me a signature, feel free to cut loose and do so.

Of course, I could get off my lame rear and do something.

#229 Bannedforlife

Bannedforlife

In heaven, everything is fine.

• PipPipPipPip
  • 804 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 03:40 AM

I think you're reading too much into it. Its more likely that they decided that none of the remaining players in the 7th round had any shot of ever making it to the NHL anyway and decided it was better to take the risk on Marchenko on the off chance that he could be persuaded to come to the NHL someday. Im not saying he'll never play for the Red Wings, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

#230 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,625 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 04:52 AM

Replace Jarnkrok with Nyquist.

Jarnkrok will be too busy centering Tatar and Pulkkinen.

A top six of all european? :nono:

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#231 Crashnburnluder

Crashnburnluder

Crashnburnluder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 05:50 AM

Sooo I have read a lot of people saying Marchenko was the best defensive player in this years draft. I know nothing about him or how good he is, but in a draft that involved larsson, Hamilton, and a couple others I don't know how to take those comments.

Crash

#232 Aussie_Wing

Aussie_Wing

Mursak

• Bronze Booster
  • 8,550 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 09:30 AM

In say 4-5 years...

Filppula - Datsyuk - Franzen
Tatar - Zetterberg - Jurco
Nyquist - Jarnkrok - Pulkkinen
Abdealkder - Helm - Mursak

Sheahan, Andersson, Ferraro all there or there abouts too.

Scary. Obviously a few what if's, but still...

Ken Holland: Hes (Mursak) a young guy, provides energy, can skate, hes a puck hound.

#233 Jusek

Jusek

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,732 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 10:16 AM

Great picks, I already love this offseason. Jurco is amazing. Sproul is also interesting name, big defenceman with huge right-handed shot.

Edited by Jusek, 26 June 2011 - 10:23 AM.

"I consider the Detroit Red Wings one of the greatest franchises in any sport. For a player to come in and play, it's so special to wear the jersey."
-Steve Yzerman

#234 Shaman

Shaman

• Silver Booster
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 11:13 AM

A top six of all european? :nono:

Sheahan a euro now? It now makes a perfect sense why the wings drafted him! Hes a secret euro.

Edited by Shaman464, 26 June 2011 - 11:14 AM.

Im Wasser verbrannt

#235 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 11:25 AM

Sheahan a euro now? It now makes a perfect sense why the wings drafted him! Hes a secret euro.

It's short for Sheahanstrominenov

#236 Shaman

Shaman

• Silver Booster
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 11:33 AM

It's short for Sheahanstrominenov

Sheahanstrom, hes a swede.

Edited by Shaman464, 26 June 2011 - 11:33 AM.

Im Wasser verbrannt

#237 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 11:37 AM

I think you're reading too much into it. Its more likely that they decided that none of the remaining players in the 7th round had any shot of ever making it to the NHL anyway and decided it was better to take the risk on Marchenko on the off chance that he could be persuaded to come to the NHL someday. Im not saying he'll never play for the Red Wings, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

This.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#238 pucktividi

pucktividi

the usual suspect

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 11:43 AM

He's bloody Irish :yowza:

#239 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 11:49 AM

Jurco is going to have all the skill needed. He just needs to mature a ton. He is a cocky ****** bag who thinks it is important to look good rather than win. That habit could break him, and many GMs knew this. Worth a risky 2nd round pick though.

He seemed to fall because of his inconsistency. I've read scouting reports that called him mature so I'm interested in where you got your "cocky ****** bag" info.

Here's a snippet from a Red Wings scout:

"Gerard Gallant speaks very highly of him with regard to his character, his background and his work ethic, Leach said.

Like I said-- I'd like to see where you read that he's a ******.
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#240 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 12:13 PM

Saw it in the video report of him during the draft. Said he often rubs his teammates the wrong way by practicing and using trick moves in games. I have no idea how to track that footage down. It was on the TSN feed.

Really like this draft class. I love that Holland has the balls and luxury of not having to look for the more "NHL-ready" players and instead drafts players who have the talent to potentially be real impact players, not just pluggers.

And Holland will bring Marchenko into the US in a suitcase, voluntarily or not.

I will pack the suitcase myself. Throw in some vodka and caviar so he doesn't go hungry and we will slip out the back.
"It is a lot easier to be an ******* to words than to people"-xkcd

Tootoo does NOT belong on this team. He is classless and I would rather see the Wings be bad than classless. I feel the same way about Bertuzzi as well, but he at least CAN make the team better. With Tootoo the team becomes worse and in danger of being classless. Would you have liked Claude on the team? Or Roy? No. So why would you be okay with that POS.

This thread has been closed due to emotions being higher than people's ability to read, interpret, and properly respond to simple posts.