• Please log in to reply
278 replies to this topic

#261 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 09:12 PM

Exactly. That first round trade for the two second rounders was monumental. We drafted unarguably the best defender in the draft in the 7th round and got arguably the best offensive defensemen with one of those 2nd rounders. On top of that, we got an uber light Derian Hatcher and a guy who is bigger than Datsyuk, but pattens his game after him. Last year we got the best young gun in the SML and one of the best Swedish young guns in the SEL, size be damned. This season we got bigger, meaner, and Czechoslovakianer,

Umm? I hope you were joking when you said that or had a typo of some kind. I love the wings but lets not get to homerish here. I feel like a 4 year old could make an argument that Larsson or Hamilton for example are better defenders than Marchenko.

I know this board is for wings fans and everything but sometimes things get a little too homerish around here. Yeah that was a HUGE pickup in the 7th round and he could be a player, but he was still a 7th round pick and has plenty of question marks around him

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#262 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 09:25 PM

Umm? I hope you were joking when you said that or had a typo of some kind. I love the wings but lets not get to homerish here. I feel like a 4 year old could make an argument that Larsson or Hamilton for example are better defenders than Marchenko.

I know this board is for wings fans and everything but sometimes things get a little too homerish around here. Yeah that was a HUGE pickup in the 7th round and he could be a player, but he was still a 7th round pick and has plenty of question marks around him

Not joking at all, he could jump in right now in a top 4 role and not look out of place on a championship caliber team. He might be over here for the 2012-2013 season, that's how good he is. Read up on him, I think you'll like what you read. He's also slated to be the captain of the Russian WJHC in December. How many 7th rounders are captains of their WJHC? And no, Italy or Japan don't count lol.

And he doesn't have "plenty of question makrs", he only has one. The only reason he was passed over his initial year was because he had mono and a spleen disease that was misdiagnosed as a heart defect, but that has since been rectified and the reason he went so late in this draft was because he stated he'd rather stay in Russia and help the game grow there. I promise you, the first couple Russian that went are better than half of the 1st round player that were drafted. Russians just have that stigma, right or wrong, that they are either lazy or don't have a willingness to move.

Plus...he's right handed :)
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#263 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 09:33 PM

More on Jurco from his coach:

It didn't hurt that Sea Dogs head coach Gerard Gallant — a former Red Wings star on the wing of Steve Yzerman — gave Jurco a ringing endorsement. "Gerard Gallant speaks very highly of him with regard to his character, his background and his work ethic," Leach said.

He also had 5 points in the 4 memorial cup games. Those "lazy/floating" rumors are just that, rumors. He was bumped fromt he first line to the second line during the season in light of two other first rounder on his team and was also moved to the second PP unit as well.

More on Tvrdon:

The Red Wings' scouts in Slovakia and the Czech Republic gave Tvrdon rave reviews as an underager in 2009-10. He piled up 25 goals and 31 assists for 56 points in 45 games at the under-20 level in Slovakia that season and added three goals and an assist at the world under-18 championship. The Red Wings also received assurance from Tvrdon that he's back to 100 percent from surgery already and that he'll be ready to go in the fall. Since he hasn't played in almost a year, some patience might be required — but the hope is Tvrdon will eventually pick up where he left off last October and emerge as a high-end prospect.

Edited by Konnan511, 27 June 2011 - 04:41 PM.

The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#264 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 09:38 PM

This should get people excited about Sproul:

Sproul actually started the season at the junior A level with the Vaughan (Ont.) Vipers because he still intended to go the NCAA route. Without so much as an OHL intrasquad scrimmage under his belt when he finally decided to report to the Greyhounds in late September, playing major junior presented many challenges. But he was downright impressive in the new year, piling up 11 goals and 13 assists for 24 points during a 23-game stretch from Jan. 14 to March 6, including a hat trick among a pair of four-point outings.

Only Ryan Murphy had more goals down the stretch, and Sproul finished fifth among all blueliners in goals and No. 1 among rookies. He was also second among rookie defense scoring.

The Best Of BC
HankthaTank

#265 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,639 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 04:59 AM

In say 4-5 years...

Filppula - Datsyuk - Franzen
Tatar - Zetterberg - Jurco
Nyquist - Jarnkrok - Pulkkinen
Abdealkder - Helm - Mursak

Sheahan, Andersson, Ferraro all there or there abouts too.

Scary. Obviously a few what if's, but still...

:puke:

if Helm and Abdelkader are still playing on the 4th line in 5 years, then please Mr. I, sell the team and let them move to Egypt...

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#266 Jusek

Jusek

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,732 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 05:54 AM

Btw, does Tvrdon shoot right or left? Some sources say right, and some say that he shoots left.
"I consider the Detroit Red Wings one of the greatest franchises in any sport. For a player to come in and play, it's so special to wear the jersey."
-Steve Yzerman

#267 pvilleguru

pvilleguru

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 07:31 AM

how do you pronounce Tvrdon?

#268 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 10:43 AM

Verd-on is my guess. The T has to be silent, but my knowledge of Solvakian is not great... But everyone seems to go with Tuh-Vuhr-dun.

"TEE vuhr dehn" is the pronunciation given on the NHL official guide for Roman Tvrdon of the Capitals.

So I am not sure, there are my only leads.

I could see a heated thread in the future over this...

All I know is I respect Ken Daniels as my pronunciation guide.

It bugs me how so many other players we have, have different names when playing on national TV (NBC, CBC, VS) The one that bugs me the most is Franzen. Ken says Fron-zen, they say FRAN-zen...

Anyone have footage of Tvrdon saying it?
"It is a lot easier to be an ******* to words than to people"-xkcd

Tootoo does NOT belong on this team. He is classless and I would rather see the Wings be bad than classless. I feel the same way about Bertuzzi as well, but he at least CAN make the team better. With Tootoo the team becomes worse and in danger of being classless. Would you have liked Claude on the team? Or Roy? No. So why would you be okay with that POS.

This thread has been closed due to emotions being higher than people's ability to read, interpret, and properly respond to simple posts.

#269 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 10:52 AM

Btw, does Tvrdon shoot right or left? Some sources say right, and some say that he shoots left.

Left, definitely, definitely left.
"It is a lot easier to be an ******* to words than to people"-xkcd

Tootoo does NOT belong on this team. He is classless and I would rather see the Wings be bad than classless. I feel the same way about Bertuzzi as well, but he at least CAN make the team better. With Tootoo the team becomes worse and in danger of being classless. Would you have liked Claude on the team? Or Roy? No. So why would you be okay with that POS.

This thread has been closed due to emotions being higher than people's ability to read, interpret, and properly respond to simple posts.

#270 achildr1

achildr1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 10:57 AM

http://prohockeytalk...l-draft/related

Looks like some other people noticed our picks too...

#271 Casey

Casey

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 11:15 AM

I can't wait to someday see Jurco and Datysuk on the same line- the puckhandling would be insane.
Posted Image
Ceterum autem censeo, Hudler esse delendam.

#272 Jusek

Jusek

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,732 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 11:36 AM

Sproul's twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/Sproully93

He wrote Detroit Redwings. :glare:
"I consider the Detroit Red Wings one of the greatest franchises in any sport. For a player to come in and play, it's so special to wear the jersey."
-Steve Yzerman

#273 Heaten

Heaten

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 02:05 PM

Sproul's twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/Sproully93

He wrote Detroit Redwings. :glare:

RAGE for typing doodle slang from a cell phone to post twitter when in a hurry, excited and nervous all at the same time. He must hate DRWs :rolleyes:

#274 Jusek

Jusek

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,732 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 02:37 PM

RAGE for typing doodle slang from a cell phone to post twitter when in a hurry, excited and nervous all at the same time. He must hate DRWs :rolleyes:

I didn't rage, it was more sarcasm. I love this kid.
-Steve Yzerman

#275 Bannedforlife

Bannedforlife

In heaven, everything is fine.

• PipPipPipPip
  • 804 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 04:19 PM

Mr. T?

#276 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 04:56 PM

Not joking at all, he could jump in right now in a top 4 role and not look out of place on a championship caliber team. He might be over here for the 2012-2013 season, that's how good he is. Read up on him, I think you'll like what you read. He's also slated to be the captain of the Russian WJHC in December. How many 7th rounders are captains of their WJHC? And no, Italy or Japan don't count lol.

And he doesn't have "plenty of question makrs", he only has one. The only reason he was passed over his initial year was because he had mono and a spleen disease that was misdiagnosed as a heart defect, but that has since been rectified and the reason he went so late in this draft was because he stated he'd rather stay in Russia and help the game grow there. I promise you, the first couple Russian that went are better than half of the 1st round player that were drafted. Russians just have that stigma, right or wrong, that they are either lazy or don't have a willingness to move.

Plus...he's right handed :)

A top 4 role on a championship team? Hes played a total of 33 games in the KHL the last 2 years and has 2 points. I know he is a great prospect and hes one of my favourite picks from this draft but come on man? 2 points in the KHL doesnt scream top 4 to me.

Are you saying that right now you wouldnt trade Marchenko for Larsson or Hamilton because that seems nuts to me

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#277 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 05:17 PM

Terror-dome
Red Kelly #4 and Larry Aurie #6 belong in the rafters!!!

"For my game, I don't need to score the goal," Konstantinov once explained. "I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals."

#278 Aussie_Wing

Aussie_Wing

Mursak

• Bronze Booster
  • 8,550 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 07:21 AM

I'm so pumped about the Ryan Sproul pick. :thumbup:

Been too long since we had a good prospect in the OHL that I can follow closely.

Ken Holland: Hes (Mursak) a young guy, provides energy, can skate, hes a puck hound.

#279 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 02:34 PM

I'm so pumped about the Ryan Sproul pick. :thumbup:

Been too long since we had a good prospect in the OHL that I can follow closely.

Agreed, he's not too flashy, but he was easily one of the, if not the best, defensemen in the entire OHL in the second half of the season and he was only a rookie. Look for him to put up monster numbers this season and really fill out that 6'3" frame of his.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank