• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
swiss_fan

Babcock "pissed off" about Burns-to-SJ

Rate this topic

Are we really get THIS upset over Brent ******* Burns?

Burns is the scape goat.... its the idea he got traded and the Front Office let it go with out a fight or a offer....then trade the 1st pick away for 2 second rounders because they are confident the players they are looking at will be there when they want them.(does that mean we never look at players above the rank of 30?) honestly its frustrating.... to see all these teams around us getting better and wondering why Holland is prepared to wait. Why is my question. does he think that there is another Datsyuk or Zett sitting in the later rounds that only HE knows about..... sometimes playing it cool and patient doesnt make you a better team...or a better GM. It makes you play golf in May.

He wants his players to be aggressive and play to their ability, Why can't we expect the same from our GM? He has players of value...and cap space. and still has done very little when you look at what has been done around the league.

Burns is the scape goat.... its the idea he got traded and the Front Office let it go with out a fight or a offer....then trade the 1st pick away for 2 second rounders because they are confident the players they are looking at will be there when they want them.(does that mean we never look at players above the rank of 30?) honestly its frustrating.... to see all these teams around us getting better and wondering why Holland is prepared to wait. Why is my question. does he think that there is another Datsyuk or Zett sitting in the later rounds that only HE knows about..... sometimes playing it cool and patient doesnt make you a better team...or a better GM. It makes you play golf in May.

He wants his players to be aggressive and play to their ability, Why can't we expect the same from our GM? He has players of value...and cap space. and still has done very little when you look at what has been done around the league.

There were no top end DMen left at the 24th spot so he traded down to get two picks and came away with one of the most skilled forwards in the draft and the highest rated offensive defenseman in the draft. How can you NOT get excited about that trade by Holland?

Guest Heaten

Lol @ Holland not pursuing Burns.

How do you know he didn't? Maybe Wild didn't want our 'Scraps'... and demanded our top players with short(er) contracts and prospects).

Sharks gave up a lot, more than Red Wings could EVER afford to give up. Holland would have to give up Filpulla + Helm + Smith + Sheahan/Tatar. If Holland gave up those assets, Babcock would still be pissed. IMO, Smith will be a better dman than Burns.

Look at what Sharks gave up to get a decent dman that will be an UFA next year.

Burns was out of Detroit's price range. This is the penalty for being so good for so long.... Our assets aren't that in demand.

Edited by Heaten

Will everyone just chill!! We have Raffy's $6M, the ~$5M cap increase plus all the money available to our free agents. I don't know if there is anything up as to what we have left to spend but I am thinking it is $15-$20M.

WE WILL SIGN A HUGE NAME THIS FRIDAY!!!

After reading up on it here:

Fletcher says he got a lot of calls. I'd guess one of them was from Holland, but we just didn't have the assets Minnesota was looking for. They wanted a young shooter, so none of our roster players would have fit. We don't have any prospects currently rated as highly as Coyle, plus Flethcer seems to really like both Coyle and Gooch.

Maybe something like Tatar, Sheahan, Pulkkinen, + our 1st could have gotten it done, but I wouldn't weaken our forward prospects that much for Burns. He's not Shea Weber.

Will everyone just chill!! We have Raffy's $6M, the ~$5M cap increase plus all the money available to our free agents. I don't know if there is anything up as to what we have left to spend but I am thinking it is $15-$20M.

WE WILL SIGN A HUGE NAME THIS FRIDAY!!!

Currently we have $16,207,955

Edited by Buppy

how does wisniewski even replace rafalski? we are worse than last year ATM.

I like Rafalski as much as anyone, but he spent the last two season dealing with chronic injury problems. When he was healthy he was very effective, but too often he wasn't 100%. So if they sign one of these less talented free agents, it could still be a net gain over last year if that player is playing closer to his peak more often, which I'm not sure if Rafalski was doing at any point in his final season.

There's no way Holland would have made that trade without Burns being signed to an extension. Seto was just signed to a home-town discount contract for 3 years and he's been dealt for a d-man who's got 1 year left on his pre-UFA contract.

why did he have to trade down to get them? is my point.... they knew who they wanted..take them when you get the pick... that's my point!

so many what ifs....

Holland turned one pick (#24) into two picks (#35 and #48). Without making this move, the Wings only get one of those players. THAT is the point!!

Guest Heaten

Funny how forum members on LGW's think Red Wings junk is worth gold. NOBODY WANTS RED WINGS GARBAGE!!!

It was virtually IMPOSSIBLE for Holland to trade for Burns without giving up the future; (Tatar, Sheahan, Smith, Pulkinnen, Nyquist + 2011 first)

Why would Wild want Filpulla who isn't a 25-30 goal scorer when they got a much better trade from Sharks? Sharks gave up ALOT to get Burns. Wings just don't have the assets to give up like Sharks have....

Because we don't want there to be another guarantee.

San Jose beating us in the playoffs again.

Well said. I'd also add that similar things were said about a certain team whose colors are red and white in the early/mid 90's. In fact, I recall a kid wearing #19 was almost traded away as a result. But you all already know this story.

Well said. I'd also add that similar things were said about a certain team whose colors are red and white in the early/mid 90's. In fact, I recall a kid wearing #19 was almost traded away as a result. But you all already know this story.

That's SJ's excuse for keeping this core together, the early 90's Wings. If they want to go by that, it would have already been 1997 and 1998 by now. It's time for the Sharks to get rid of Thornton and Marleau.

With the Sharks getting Brent Burns they just got a shutdown D-man and they are MUCH better. I guess we'll see who makes the biggest splash after 1 July, but for now, it looks like SJ has the biggest splash followed by Kings then the Blue Jackets. As for the Flyers...they just got themselves another Bobby Luo...a choker.

Don't pass up on James Wisniewski.

post-19964-0-46170400-1309042427_thumb.jpg

Setoguchi was a more consistent playoff performer for them than Marleau, Thornton or Murd....I mean Heatley.

Those other players will put together a good series here and there, but can never play well for the entire playoff run. Setoguchi seemed to bring it all the time.

I'm starting to agree with people who don't think this was such a perfect move by San Jose. They did give up a lot here to get Burns, who's a guy that's been injury plagued.

Setoguchi was a more consistent playoff performer for them than Marleau, Thornton or Murd....I mean Heatley.

Those other players will put together a good series here and there, but can never play well for the entire playoff run. Setoguchi seemed to bring it all the time.

I'm starting to agree with people who don't think this was such a perfect move by San Jose. They did give up a lot here to get Burns, who's a guy that's been injury plagued.

To that end, I agree with you. I don't see this as a net win for San Jose. Gooch is one hell of a player, and to give up the additional assets on top of it hurts a ton.

I'm not so terribly concerned with the injury portion, though. Kronwall, just as one example, had a crazy string of injuries a few years back, and has rebounded nicely. Sometimes dumb luck is just dumb luck... and it has to end at some point.

This is a good pickup by the Sharks, and they are a better team right now for it. I just doubt the wisdom of giving up so much so quickly. My only gripe in my previous post was people counting them out as perennial choke artists. They've certainly not done much to prove me wrong in recent years, but they're too good of a team to dismiss outright due to some flameouts.

Either way, I'm sure Burns is ecstatic and Gooch is pissed right now. What a dick move to sign and trade like that.

i had some time to cool off today. i guess this is really a two sided coin. i honestly really liked burns, so did babs. but there are two ways to skin a cat, and holland is currently choosing the one i wasn't in favor of, but it'll have the same result (a better team). we just have so many pieces to add, and its hard to make a plan for getting them that works. i thought that burns would have been great because of his low cap hit for next season, allowing us the opportunity to sign richards and wiz. there were obvious downsides that holland didn't agree with (prospect cost, risk).

On that note, what do you suppose the likelihood that we start seeing more players requesting NTCs and/or testing the UFA market as a result of the past few days? Setoguchi and Carter both just go no-vaselined for signing in (assumed) good faith.

On that note, what do you suppose the likelihood that we start seeing more players requesting NTCs and/or testing the UFA market as a result of the past few days? Setoguchi and Carter both just go no-vaselined for signing in (assumed) good faith.

ya i could see some sort of ntc for the coming season. that would be more reasonable. not sure if thats possible? but it would be a nice guarantee for players and not cripple a team if things dont work out that year.