• Please log in to reply
121 replies to this topic

#21 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,872 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 09:52 AM

Yeah, no s***. I spent six hours last night mod-ing a draft stream chatbox. I predicted before the draft started that we'd trade our pick for more picks.
Yet, I still sat there and watched. Behold. Picks we wanted... gone. Trade imminent and complete

...and it was beautiful out last night. Could have been out drinking and socializing.

Screw the second round.

I wondered if that was you.

SJ getting Burns was good for them. Burns would have been good for us too. It is a question of cost. Who would we have had to give up to get him?

Who will we draft today? How will our current prospects pan out? Do we have another "Burns" in the making? What will we do July 1? All of these questions and more will come into play when we look back and wonder about what would/could have happened.

#22 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 10:04 AM

If Burns came here, Weber would give him a year long concussion.

cc_champs-5_zps34057ff0.png

#23 Bannedforlife

Bannedforlife

In heaven, everything is fine.

• PipPipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 10:06 AM

This is what happens when your spoiled for so many years, when people don't get there way they freak out and go all bi-polar and claim its the end of the world. Burns didn't get signed by the Wings, big deal, what if Smith turns out to be better than Burns and we end up trading him to Minny ? Obviously the asking price was too high, I would trust Holland over majority of 'fans' that are pissed because they didn't get there way.

I agree that Wings fans are spoiled and it's funny/embarrassing when they freak out over transactions where we really have very little information as far as what went on behind the scenes, but I have to point out a couple of things. First, the title of this thread is that Babs got pissed off when he learned that San Jose traded for Burns, so yea, there is a little justification for fans to be disappointed. If Babs thought it was in the realm of possibility enough to be upset about it, then I believe it was more possible than the nay-sayers are painting to be. Number two, Burns is damn good defenseman and addresses a lot of the needs/wants that this team has right now. Unless Smith pans out to be the next Lidstrom, it's better to have Burns now than a guy who might be a shade better than Burns 5 years from now.

#24 Dimaline312000

Dimaline312000

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 10:07 AM

I don't blame Babsy for being pissed; it would have been nice to get Burns but I also agree we didn't really have that much to trade for him. I think the Wings can find a good repalcement for Raf. I have faith in this team.

#25 miksteri

miksteri

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 10:17 AM

Wings could trade the 1st round picks 'til infinity, as if Holland would draft anyone even if he had #1 he wouldnt know what to do with it...

#26 wings1110

wings1110

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 10:55 AM

whos this Babckok you speak of?

#27 puckbags

puckbags

The Future

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,600 posts
  • Location:Cobble Hill, BC, Canada ( 2,522 Miles from the Joe)

Posted 25 June 2011 - 11:03 AM

It's still early to hit the panic button,but some people are acting like we are talking about giving prospects for veteran player (Lang/Schneider) and not about 26 old big guy who managed to have 50 points even playing for s***ty Minny :ph34r:

Ya think? It's June 25th, we are still a week away from free agency..this place is pure comedy this time of year.

"Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Refuses to Work Hard"

LGW after 1 loss is irrational, after a few in a row it becomes quite comical, 22 playoff appearances in a row and 4 cups in that time and still going strong. Relaxxxxx !!

#28 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 11:06 AM

Another link: http://sports.sympat...ey_cup/4cb54bca

OK, so this is an article from a relatively unknown website, written by someone who clearly doesn't speak the English language very well. Further, he has something written that Babcock would probably never truly say in public.

I'm calling BS.

#29 South Dakota wings fan

South Dakota wings fan

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 11:10 AM

I would say it is the nature of a coach to be upset when he watches his competitors improve. The West has gotten much better in the last few days. SJ simply had better assets to give the Wild in exchange for Burns. Plain and simple. The Wild needed scoring, and they got it. The Sharks wanted a right handed D who could try to replace Rob Blake. They got it. Detroit didn't really have that to offer.

#30 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,643 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 11:15 AM

Does anyone think "pissed off" and "Burns" shouldn't be in a sentence together?

<_<
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#31 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,533 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 11:25 AM

OK, so this is an article from a relatively unknown website, written by someone who clearly doesn't speak the English language very well. Further, he has something written that Babcock would probably never truly say in public.

I'm calling BS.

Heh. The Hockey News is a relatively unknown website? That magazine has been around forever, and even Bob McKenzie used to be the editor.

Anyway, everyone knows Holland isn't very aggressive. This works out to the Wings benefit at times, and it works against them at other times. It hasn't been working so well the past couple of seasons, and to see the Sharks of all teams IMPROVE when they already kicked our asses two years in a row...yeah Babs has the right to be pissed, and I hope he let Kenny know. That said, we'll see what happens on the 1st. Or, with Kenny....maybe a week or two later into July :lol:

#32 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 11:26 AM

How would we have gotten Burns anyway? Sharks paid a fairly steep price, it may pay off if they can win a championship in the next year or two but Wings couldn't have matched that offer.

Many are saying we should've thrown Franzen their way, but I don't think Franzen is equivalent to Setoguchi in terms of trade value. Setoguchi is younger, nearing his prime, still improving, and carrying a less burdensome contract in terms of years.

I think Smith would've had to have been involved to get Burns, and I think Holland is wise to not trade Smith given our lack of good, young D prospects.

Franzen, Kindl, and a 1st might have done it. Franzen's deal isn't any more burdensome than Seto's, and in three years Seto is UFA and will be either a failure, retired, or making much more than Franzen (who may also be retired by then) so that aspect isn't a huge difference. Neither is the playoff performance factor. Franzen's ability to play all forward positions is an advantage, as he could serve as a second line matchup center against guys like Thornton, Getzlaf, Staal, etc. So their trade values are probably fairly close generally, depending on your goals; a team dumping and rebuilding for five years from now won't care that much about Franzen other than his should-be-a-bargain contract, but Seto would be gold if they can hold on to him when he turns UFA in a few years.

I agree that Wings fans are spoiled and it's funny/embarrassing when they freak out over transactions where we really have very little information as far as what went on behind the scenes, but I have to point out a couple of things. First, the title of this thread is that Babs got pissed off when he learned that San Jose traded for Burns, so yea, there is a little justification for fans to be disappointed. If Babs thought it was in the realm of possibility enough to be upset about it, then I believe it was more possible than the nay-sayers are painting to be. Number two, Burns is damn good defenseman and addresses a lot of the needs/wants that this team has right now. Unless Smith pans out to be the next Lidstrom, it's better to have Burns now than a guy who might be a shade better than Burns 5 years from now.

Babs being pissed suggests a few things, one being obvious: Our chief competition the past couple of years improved for next year. Other reasons might be: The Wings were close to picking him up, Hudler was part of one potential Wings deal, or someone burned his toast and you KNOW how he holds grudges.

whos this Babckok you speak of?

He used to play with Jarnkrok in juniors.
"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#33 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,643 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 11:30 AM

If this Babcock is so unhappy, he can always take his talents elsewhere.

Like say Florida.

That's all we need is some bandwagoner coach who's going to disagree with Kenny Holland.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#34 Wings_Toledo

Wings_Toledo

Seeing Red

• PipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 11:39 AM

I think everyone needs to calm down. Holland is a patient GM and will do what is necessary to get the players that this team needs. Who knows, it may even take until the trade deadline (remember Brad Stuart?) to get it done.

#35 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 11:42 AM

Heh. The Hockey News is a relatively unknown website? That magazine has been around forever, and even Bob McKenzie used to be the editor.

Anyway, everyone knows Holland isn't very aggressive. This works out to the Wings benefit at times, and it works against them at other times. It hasn't been working so well the past couple of seasons, and to see the Sharks of all teams IMPROVE when they already kicked our asses two years in a row...yeah Babs has the right to be pissed, and I hope he let Kenny know. That said, we'll see what happens on the 1st. Or, with Kenny....maybe a week or two later into July :lol:

Sympatico.ca? And what reputable writer makes a blatant grammatical error in the first sentence of an article?

The Sharks kicked our asses? lol. OK, right. Like someone else has said, this place gets ridiculous at this point in the year.

#36 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 11:50 AM

I think Babs is pissed off because it seems all the good players are being traded to the West. Oh well, just one more year in the West and we can dominate the East :P

In all seriousness, we would have had to send our only defensive ready prospect and a core player of the future and a high draft pick for Burns, who only has one year left on his contract. That's a lot to mortgage for a potential one and done player.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#37 P. Marlowe

P. Marlowe

4th Line Heel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 11:52 AM

Can't Babcock be pissed off without blaming Holland? I'm reading this that Babcock is angry because of all teams it had to be Sharks who got Burns.

"Finger-pointing is easy. In some cases, even therapeutic. Fans need to blame something,

because the outcome is so frustratingly out of their control."
-- Mitch Albom

| Terry Sawchuk & Johnny Bower | | Extra Protection | | "Luckies never cut my wind." | | Straight to the Goal | | Dodging Traffic |
| Tom Waits - Get Behind the Mule | | Mikael Samuelsson Forever | | Mike Grier? |

#38 ShanahanMan

ShanahanMan

DUUUUUUUUH

• Silver Booster
  • 5,649 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 11:52 AM

Sympatico.ca? And what reputable writer makes a blatant grammatical error in the first sentence of an article?

The Sharks kicked our asses? lol. OK, right. Like someone else has said, this place gets ridiculous at this point in the year.

Here's a link to the original article:

http://www.thehockey...tanley-Cup.html

Actually is Hockey News. Was surprised myself that Babcock would make such a bold statement to the press.

I HATE JASON WILLIAMS

#39 dobbles

dobbles

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 11:55 AM

while i don't mean to interrupt the awesome hyperbole of lgw, both sides of this are understandable. i could even see babcock being disappointed and making those comments. burns isn't the next lidstrom, but is one of the better realistic options to replace rafalski. many thought he wouldnt be moved, so when he was, and for a pretty reasonable package, it raises eyebrows. i think a lot of people feel like a package built around filppula (or MAYBE hudler) could have been assembled that was similar to what SJ got. personally, i think the wings could have made a similar/better offer. many people are saying we would have to offer franzen, however, i think people that suggest that are over-valuing setoguchi. while goal scorers are a rare commodity, he has pretty pedestrian numbers overall aside from his 30 goal season. if you look at the production the last 2 years, he has been comparable to flip.

for a lot of people this was a big missed opportunity. thats why people are so passionate. we all just want to see the red wings be the best team possible. unfortunately, we all have differing opinions of what that entails.

I love Maltby, but to say he wasn't a ****** is a dis-service to his career of douchebaggery.

#40 Vladifan

Vladifan

Legend

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 11:59 AM

Honestly, I can't imagine Babcock making a statement like that. He's been around long enough to know how that would negatively affect everybody and everything.

OK, I don't want to believe it.

"He even ate with women who at that time were accorded the same status as the family donkey. Are we willing to break bread with, say, child sex slaves, transgender teens and undocumented workers? Because when Jesus comes back to Earth, that's where he'll be hanging."
You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.