• Please log in to reply
121 replies to this topic

#41 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,582 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 12:09 PM

Heh. The Hockey News is a relatively unknown website? That magazine has been around forever, and even Bob McKenzie used to be the editor.

Anyway, everyone knows Holland isn't very aggressive. This works out to the Wings benefit at times, and it works against them at other times. It hasn't been working so well the past couple of seasons, and to see the Sharks of all teams IMPROVE when they already kicked our asses two years in a row...yeah Babs has the right to be pissed, and I hope he let Kenny know. That said, we'll see what happens on the 1st. Or, with Kenny....maybe a week or two later into July :lol:

How does that move make the Sharks so great? Seto was great for them and he's gone now. They got thinner up front.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#42 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 12:13 PM

One, the article doesn't say Babs is pissed at Kenny.

You're all just assuming Kenny didn't make an offer, as if the hockey world revolves around us and every team looking to deal has to come to us for permission. For all we know Kenny did make an offer and was turned down, or Minny really liked SJs offer and Kenny never had a chance.

I'm also disappointed that we didn't get Burns. I'm surprised the price was that low, and believe we could have offered something comparable. But I'm not going to get pissed at someone who's done so much for this team even if it comes out that he wasn't interested in Burns.

There are reasons why Burns wouldn't be as attractive to us as he was to SJ.

The Sharks also needed a top 4 defenseman. They don't have the cap space we do so their FA prospects aren't as good. Burns gives them a stud at a cheap price. They have the rest of their top 4 signed beyond this year; we already have 3 top 4 defenseman in their last year. Setoguchi was their 7th best forward; if we had to give up Flip or Franzen it'd be our 3rd/4th best, and our top 6 was already weaker than SJ's.

If I hear that Minny asked us for Hudler and Emmerton and we turned it down, I'd be pissed. But if it would have been Flip and Nyquist, even though I'd still do it, I could at least understand. Burns is better than any FA this year, but he's not a Norris candidate.

#43 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,339 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 12:14 PM

Honestly, I can't imagine Babcock making a statement like that. He's been around long enough to know how that would negatively affect everybody and everything.

OK, I don't want to believe it.

Same here, i don't believe it, Babcock is too smart to be baited into something like that.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#44 Hossa4Life

Hossa4Life

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 12:18 PM

This is what happens when your spoiled for so many years, when people don't get there way they freak out and go all bi-polar and claim its the end of the world. Burns didn't get signed by the Wings, big deal, what if Smith turns out to be better than Burns and we end up trading him to Minny ? Obviously the asking price was too high, I would trust Holland over majority of 'fans' that are pissed because they didn't get there way.

lol i love your avatar

But I must be off, I have some jerking off to do. Oh btw I like to consider myself extremely attractive and am proud of myself for being your intellectual superior as I am going to UofM next year, and I am a better hockey player than Crosby.

Posted Image

#45 puckbags

puckbags

The Future

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,610 posts
  • Location:Cobble Hill, BC, Canada ( 2,522 Miles from the Joe)

Posted 25 June 2011 - 12:22 PM

How does that move make the Sharks so great? Seto was great for them and he's gone now. They got thinner up front.

I agree..they lost a 20-30 goal scorer from a forward group that is already not that young and replaced him with a guy who has never scored more than 46pts, has had injury problems and more importantly concussion problems. I think Minny got the best of this deal and although I think Burns would be a decent addition I wouldn`t give up what SJ gave up to get him.

Edited by puckbags, 25 June 2011 - 12:24 PM.

"Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Refuses to Work Hard"

#46 RedFX

RedFX

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 12:47 PM

Are we really get THIS upset over Brentf****** Burns?
-15-
Posted Image
"I don't like to be the pony. I like to be on top." -Pavel Datsyuk

#47 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,339 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 12:57 PM

He's a young Defensmen. it took LGW over two months to realize we aren't getting Weber, and there are still some on here that think we can lol
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#48 CaliWingsNut

CaliWingsNut

PeeWee Bettman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 01:00 PM

I think people forget Babcock studied psychology post-grad.

Figures don't lie, but liars sure figure. - Mark Twain

#49 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,760 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 01:00 PM

I just hope he doesnt pass on wiz.....

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Nestrasil, yes...Cleary....No!

Dump Q and K Now!

#50 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 01:35 PM

while i don't mean to interrupt the awesome hyperbole of lgw, both sides of this are understandable. i could even see babcock being disappointed and making those comments. burns isn't the next lidstrom, but is one of the better realistic options to replace rafalski. many thought he wouldnt be moved, so when he was, and for a pretty reasonable package, it raises eyebrows. i think a lot of people feel like a package built around filppula (or MAYBE hudler) could have been assembled that was similar to what SJ got. personally, i think the wings could have made a similar/better offer. many people are saying we would have to offer franzen, however, i think people that suggest that are over-valuing setoguchi. while goal scorers are a rare commodity, he has pretty pedestrian numbers overall aside from his 30 goal season. if you look at the production the last 2 years, he has been comparable to flip.

for a lot of people this was a big missed opportunity. thats why people are so passionate. we all just want to see the red wings be the best team possible. unfortunately, we all have differing opinions of what that entails.

Minnesota was looking for a young, offensive forward to play alongside Koivu and score goals. Setoguchi is that. Filppula is not. If they wanted a forward who was more defensively geared, then the story would be different, but they've already got Koivu.

You're smoking all sorts of crack if you think that Hudler has 1/5 the value of Setoguchi right now.

#51 Hockeytown_Ryan

Hockeytown_Ryan

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 02:05 PM

Burns is the scape goat.... its the idea he got traded and the Front Office let it go with out a fight or a offer....then trade the 1st pick away for 2 second rounders because they are confident the players they are looking at will be there when they want them.(does that mean we never look at players above the rank of 30?) honestly its frustrating.... to see all these teams around us getting better and wondering why Holland is prepared to wait. Why is my question. does he think that there is another Datsyuk or Zett sitting in the later rounds that only HE knows about..... sometimes playing it cool and patient doesnt make you a better team...or a better GM. It makes you play golf in May.

He wants his players to be aggressive and play to their ability, Why can't we expect the same from our GM? He has players of value...and cap space. and still has done very little when you look at what has been done around the league.

#52 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,339 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 02:19 PM

Burns is the scape goat.... its the idea he got traded and the Front Office let it go with out a fight or a offer....then trade the 1st pick away for 2 second rounders because they are confident the players they are looking at will be there when they want them.(does that mean we never look at players above the rank of 30?) honestly its frustrating.... to see all these teams around us getting better and wondering why Holland is prepared to wait. Why is my question. does he think that there is another Datsyuk or Zett sitting in the later rounds that only HE knows about..... sometimes playing it cool and patient doesnt make you a better team...or a better GM. It makes you play golf in May.

He wants his players to be aggressive and play to their ability, Why can't we expect the same from our GM? He has players of value...and cap space. and still has done very little when you look at what has been done around the league.

There were no top end DMen left at the 24th spot so he traded down to get two picks and came away with one of the most skilled forwards in the draft and the highest rated offensive defenseman in the draft. How can you NOT get excited about that trade by Holland?
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank

#53 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 02:21 PM

Posted Image

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#54 Heaten

Heaten

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 02:35 PM

Lol @ Holland not pursuing Burns.

How do you know he didn't? Maybe Wild didn't want our 'Scraps'... and demanded our top players with short(er) contracts and prospects).

Sharks gave up a lot, more than Red Wings could EVER afford to give up. Holland would have to give up Filpulla + Helm + Smith + Sheahan/Tatar. If Holland gave up those assets, Babcock would still be pissed. IMO, Smith will be a better dman than Burns.

Look at what Sharks gave up to get a decent dman that will be an UFA next year.

Burns was out of Detroit's price range. This is the penalty for being so good for so long.... Our assets aren't that in demand.

Edited by Heaten, 25 June 2011 - 02:36 PM.

#55 Hockeytown_Ryan

Hockeytown_Ryan

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 02:37 PM

why did he have to trade down to get them? is my point.... they knew who they wanted..take them when you get the pick... that's my point!

so many what ifs....

#56 pjgj13

pjgj13

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 02:48 PM

Will everyone just chill!! We have Raffy's $6M, the ~$5M cap increase plus all the money available to our free agents. I don't know if there is anything up as to what we have left to spend but I am thinking it is $15-$20M.

WE WILL SIGN A HUGE NAME THIS FRIDAY!!!

#57 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 02:58 PM

After reading up on it here:

Fletcher says he got a lot of calls. I'd guess one of them was from Holland, but we just didn't have the assets Minnesota was looking for. They wanted a young shooter, so none of our roster players would have fit. We don't have any prospects currently rated as highly as Coyle, plus Flethcer seems to really like both Coyle and Gooch.

Maybe something like Tatar, Sheahan, Pulkkinen, + our 1st could have gotten it done, but I wouldn't weaken our forward prospects that much for Burns. He's not Shea Weber.

Will everyone just chill!! We have Raffy's $6M, the ~$5M cap increase plus all the money available to our free agents. I don't know if there is anything up as to what we have left to spend but I am thinking it is $15-$20M.

WE WILL SIGN A HUGE NAME THIS FRIDAY!!!

Currently we have $16,207,955

Edited by Buppy, 25 June 2011 - 03:00 PM.

#58 Heroes of Hockeytown

Heroes of Hockeytown

Big Goal Bob

• Bronze Booster
  • 13,729 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 03:00 PM

how does wisniewski even replace rafalski? we are worse than last year ATM.

I like Rafalski as much as anyone, but he spent the last two season dealing with chronic injury problems. When he was healthy he was very effective, but too often he wasn't 100%. So if they sign one of these less talented free agents, it could still be a net gain over last year if that player is playing closer to his peak more often, which I'm not sure if Rafalski was doing at any point in his final season.
"We've been in the same spot all year long. We won 50 games for the fourth year in a row. People think we're just hum-drum and boring.
No, you know what we are, we're good. You can't do what we do every single day and not be good." - Mike Babcock

#59 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 03:00 PM

There's no way Holland would have made that trade without Burns being signed to an extension. Seto was just signed to a home-town discount contract for 3 years and he's been dealt for a d-man who's got 1 year left on his pre-UFA contract.
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#60 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 03:01 PM

Oh I thought this was the "we're not winning the cup in 2012 thread" my bad.

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.