• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
workingman1987

10 Greatest Wings Draft Picks in History?

Rate this topic

I would have to put the top three in one, because it's hard to separate them and what they are worth to the team.

I have to say that on the scale of Grand Theft, Pasha is numero uno. The greatest theft in history. Who knew what he would become when he was drafted? Hakan Andersson saw something in him that no one else did. Thank God he saw Pasha and kinda cast aside Dmitri Kalinin. I think we got the much better end of that deal.

Good list.

Guest CaliWingsNut

Lidstrom, Datsyuk, Fedorov and Zetterberg, because they were all drafted in later rounds.

And of course Yan Golubovsky should be there as well. First round pick in 1994. :hehe:

If you count who he was traded for... absolutely.

Man, you should bunch together the entire 1989 Detroit draft picks as number 1 :D. Lidstrom, Fedorov, Sillinger, Drake, Konstantinov. Not a bad year at all...

LGW in 1989:

GMR: "Bunch of soft Euros. Thank God we drafted Bob Boughner this year and Marc Potvin a couple years ago. Guys are going to be studs. Those Euros will never be anything when they have someone like Boughner punching them in their face every game."

LGW in 1989:

GMR: "Bunch of soft Euros. Thank God we drafted Bob Boughner this year and Marc Potvin a couple years ago. Guys are going to be studs. Those Euros will never be anything when they have someone like Boughner punching them in their face every game."

Did you read my posts above? I'm just not a fan of the 3rd/4th line Euros.

The Wings in 1989 could have actually used some more Euros on the top line positions.

1 - Yzerman

2 - Lidstrom

3 - Datsyuk

4 - Fedorov

5 - Zetterberg

6 - Konstantinov

7 - Holmstrom

8 - Franzen

9 - Osgood

10 - (potentially) Jimmy Howard

gotta point out a terrible accuracy flaw in the article though

If we're going to talk about late-round steals, we have to talk about Henrik Zetterberg. After being selected by the Wings in the seventh round in 1999, the young Swede made the team as a rookie and was paired with Pavel Datsyuk and Brett Hull.

Hull nicknamed the line the "Two Kids and an Old Goat" line.

He didn't break into the league until 03 and when he did, he took over for Boyd Devereaux, who was one of the original 2 kids with Datsyuk.

That Is all.

Guest Crymson

Lidstrom, Datsyuk, Fedorov and Zetterberg, because they were all drafted in later rounds.

And of course Yan Golubovsky should be there as well. First round pick in 1994. :hehe:

Given that Fedorov was drafted late because the arrival of any drafted Russian to the NHL was uncertain, I don't think he could be called a steal.

Group A:

Lidstrom (53)

Fedorov (74)

Datsyuk (171)

Zetterberg (210)

Group B:

Yzerman (only since at 4th overall, you expect a franchise player)

Konstantinov (221, likely top of the list if not for the accident)

Gallant (107)

Franzen (97)

Helm (132)

Homer (257)

Honorable mention:

Klima (86, would be up a group if he'd stayed longer)

Osgood (54)

Flip (95)

Kozlov (45)

Probert (46)

McCarty (46)

Chiasson (50)

I like your list, except for McCarty and Franzen. While they are a couple of very important players drafted by the Wings, IMO, Kozlov and Kocur did more for this team. But that's neither here nor there! There are many excellent players that have been drafted by the Wings and have turned out to be great players!

BTW, McCarty was NOT a founding member of the grind line, the first line nick-named "The Grind Line" actually consisted of Draper, Kocur and LaPointe...

Man, you should bunch together the entire 1989 Detroit draft picks as number 1 :D. Lidstrom, Fedorov, Sillinger, Drake, Konstantinov. Not a bad year at all...

In terms of absolute steals and the fact that all other teams are saying DOH! right about now, even though Fedorov and Dastyuk were taken late, Nick Lidstrom going in the third round in 1989 has to be the biggest steal of the modern draft era. Considering that he is quite possibly the best defenseman EVER in the modern world, and if anyone else had scouts over there as early as the Wings had, he would've no doubt gone top 10...

Edited by LeftWinger

Guest blueadams

Here's mine:

1-Steve Yzerman, 1983, 1st (#4) - the greatest red wing, in every sense of the word, of the draft era. i don't care that he was a high pick, it was still such a great pick.

2-Nicklas Lidstrom, 1989, 3rd (#53) - the greatest defenseman of all time next to bobby orr, drafted in the third round.

3-Pavel Datsyuk, 1998, 6th (#171) - one of the top 10 skilled players of all time, drafted in the sixth round.

4-Marcel Dionne, 1971, 1st (#2) - second overall pick, but like stevie-y, a hall of famer.

5-Sergei Fedorov, 1989, 4th (#74) - had some issues, but was one of the top 5 or so players in the league for a brief era, drafted in the fourth round!

6-Henrik Zetterberg, 1999, 7th (#210) - probably one of the top 10 forwards in the league today, drafted in the seventh round.

7-Vladimir Konstantinov, 1989, 11th (#221) - looked like a guy that might've challenged nick in some realms, drafted in the eleventh round!

8-Chris Osgood, 1991, 3rd (#54) - say what you will, but a hall of famer drafted in the third round.

9-Bob Probert, 1983, 3rd (#46) - nhl all star and tone setter, drafted in the third round.

10-Johan Franzen, 2004, 3rd (#97) - nhl all star, drafted in the third round.

...why am I the first person to mention a hall of famer that we drafted??

Edited by blueadams

Here's mine:

1-Steve Yzerman, 1983, 1st (#4) - the greatest red wing, in every sense of the word, of the draft era. i don't care that he was a high pick, it was still such a great pick.

2-Nicklas Lidstrom, 1989, 3rd (#53) - the greatest defenseman of all time next to bobby orr, drafted in the third round.

3-Pavel Datsyuk, 1998, 6th (#171) - one of the top 10 skilled players of all time, drafted in the sixth round.

4-Marcel Dionne, 1971, 1st (#2) - second overall pick, but like stevie-y, a hall of famer.

5-Sergei Fedorov, 1989, 4th (#74) - had some issues, but was one of the top 5 or so players in the league for a brief era, drafted in the fourth round!

6-Henrik Zetterberg, 1999, 7th (#210) - probably one of the top 10 forwards in the league today, drafted in the seventh round.

7-Vladimir Konstantinov, 1989, 11th (#221) - looked like a guy that might've challenged nick in some realms, drafted in the eleventh round!

8-Chris Osgood, 1991, 3rd (#54) - say what you will, but a hall of famer drafted in the third round.

9-Bob Probert, 1983, 3rd (#46) - nhl all star and tone setter, drafted in the third round.

10-Johan Franzen, 2004, 3rd (#97) - nhl all star, drafted in the third round.

...why am I the first person to mention a hall of famer that we drafted??

probably because he wasn't on the Wings very long and did most of his Hall of Fame work in LA. I know the OP said greatest draft picks and he was drafted by the Wings, but from the looks of his list I think he meant draft picks that played most if not all of their career is Detroit, or at least where they got the fame...

BTW, Franzen still doesn't belong there.

We could list the following as well: Pete Mahovolich, Yvon Lambert, Mike Foligno, Johnny O, Mark Osborne, Murray Craven, hell Shawn Burr even put up some good numbers. There is Adam Graves and Joe Murphy, you have to give mention to Mike Sillinger (although he never really got a chance here,) Mike Knuble and Marty LaPointe both played in nearly 1000 games and put up some great numbers. Maybe all these guys wouldn't make top 10, but still very impressive careers by some great Wings picks!

Edited by LeftWinger

I love Stevie, but Lidstrom has to be #1 for sure.

Getting one of the best defenseman in the history of the game, arguably second all time, in the third round at #53?! Nothing tops that. Especially when you consider the Wings really wanted Lafontaine in the draft and chose Yzerman when they Islanders took him.

I love Stevie, but Lidstrom has to be #1 for sure.

Getting one of the best defenseman in the history of the game, arguably second all time, in the third round at #53?! Nothing tops that. Especially when you consider the Wings really wanted Lafontaine in the draft and chose Yzerman when they Islanders took him.

Best. Consolation. Prize. Ever.

I like your list, except for McCarty and Franzen. While they are a couple of very important players drafted by the Wings, IMO, Kozlov and Kocur did more for this team. But that's neither here nor there! There are many excellent players that have been drafted by the Wings and have turned out to be great players!

BTW, McCarty was NOT a founding member of the grind line, the first line nick-named "The Grind Line" actually consisted of Draper, Kocur and LaPointe...

I think Franzen belongs on the list. I have a Hockey news from 2004 that says Franzen, and I quote, "is a responsible defensive player with limited upside".

Since DMac is one of my All-Time favorite Wings, I like him at #10. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the "Grind Line" was originally Draper, Maltby, and Kocur.

I hope in the next generation of LGW'rs they are making these list and Pulkkinen and Marchenko and Tvrdon are on the list :P

My top 10:

1.) The entire 1988 draft

2.) Kory Kocur

3.) Curtis Bowen

4.) Jamie Pushor

5.) Jesse Wallin

6.) Yan Golubovsky (would be higher but he got us Igor)

7.) Yves Racine

8.) Maxim Kuznetsov

9.) Thomas McCollum

10.) Yves Courteau/ Igor Grigorenko (injuries to both)

I think Franzen belongs on the list. I have a Hockey news from 2004 that says Franzen, and I quote, "is a responsible defensive player with limited upside".

Since DMac is one of my All-Time favorite Wings, I like him at #10. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the "Grind Line" was originally Draper, Maltby, and Kocur.

you are corrected, Lapointe was an original Grind Line member