• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Pasha 13

RFA/UFA Signings

Rate this topic

Guest Crymson

We could do 6-7mill IMO.

Wonder if babs will be pissed of we dont get this gold medal winner... Lol

Yes, and then we could offer up our next four first round draft picks in the process. No thanks.

No, he won't be pissed off if we don't get Doughty, because it will mean the team hasn't mortgaged its future for a D-man who suffered a major concussion last season.

Yes, and then we could offer up our next four first round draft picks in the process. No thanks.

What are the odds that one of those first round picks turns out to be anywhere close to the player Doughty is? We're talking about a 21 year old whose already one of the best in the game. He would be the face of the defense for the next 15 years. I would do it in a heartbeat. Won't happen though.

No, he won't be pissed off if we don't get Doughty, because it will mean the team hasn't mortgaged its future for a D-man who suffered a major concussion last season.

Doughty is the type of player that doesn't become available very often and considering the state that our defence is in at the moment, I would take the gamble on him in a heartbeat...

He will be a perennial Norris finalist with Weber for years to come...

Its funny how you talk down on everyone as if you are the only one who has the right opinion about everything on these boards...

You need to be less negative about everything...

What are the odds that one of those first round picks turns out to be anywhere close to the player Doughty is? We're talking about a 21 year old whose already one of the best in the game. He would be the face of the defense for the next 15 years. I would do it in a heartbeat. Won't happen though.

That's precisely why L.A. would match an offer sheet.

Guest Heaten

Holland doesn't give up draft picks. He'll explore the UFA market.

well there is a catch... As long as our offer is below 7.8 million then we would give up only 2 1st round picks and a 2nd and a 3rd. Yes that is a still a steep price but I highly doubt we draft a Doughty character with the 3rd and 2nd and if we stay competitive our 1st round picks will be 25 and later. This isn't like the leafs giving up a the picks and getting the 2nd overall pick. I say we offer him around 7 and either jack the price up on LA or we get him and he is our Lidstrom replacement 1 year ahead of time. Lidstrom, Doughty, Kronwall, Stuart as our top 4. That would be AMAZING!!!

well there is a catch... As long as our offer is below 7.8 million then we would give up only 2 1st round picks and a 2nd and a 3rd. Yes that is a still a steep price but I highly doubt we draft a Doughty character with the 3rd and 2nd and if we stay competitive our 1st round picks will be 25 and later. This isn't like the leafs giving up a the picks and getting the 2nd overall pick. I say we offer him around 7 and either jack the price up on LA or we get him and he is our Lidstrom replacement 1 year ahead of time. Lidstrom, Doughty, Kronwall, Stuart as our top 4. That would be AMAZING!!!

It would have to be an absolutely insane offer for L.A. to let him go. It's a pipe dream to expect him to leave for another team via offer sheet.

We'd only have to give 4 1sts if it was over 7.8 million. Anything up to is 1 2sts, a 2nd and a 3rd. Well worth it, IMO. Four 1sts would be too much though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Offer_sheet

But, there is a 99% chance that LA matches it anyway.

Edited by Z and D for the C

Who knows-- some of those first round picks could be lottery picks (assuming Lidstrom retires next summer). If Lidstrom wasn't close to retiring I'd be more comfortable gambling on 4 first round picks. Ask Leafs fans what happens when you gamble with 1st rounders.

Not that LA wouldn't match any offer Holland made, but you see what I'm getting at. We can't assume this team will be a top team after Lidstrom retires.

I undestand the chances are very slim, but would you rather him get a contract offered to him by us so LA doesn't get him for so much of a steal? Best case scenario, we get him. Worst case he has to sign for more in LA. Just dont offer more then 7.8 and if we get him we only give up 2nd round picks and with Doughty in our line up I don't see us Pick in the top 5 in the next 2 season. That is when the two first rounders would occur. With Datsyuk, Zetterberg Lidstrom, Doughty, Franzen. We wont be getting Lottery Picks. If we don't get Dougthy we will have our 25-30th picks and no harm no foul.

crash

That's precisely why L.A. would match an offer sheet.

I think he'd take this offer, LA is now a contender and Doughty has already played with Richards on Team Canada, Gold Medal winners, and there's no way LA would let him slip away.

Guest blueadams

Every time I see one of your posts I literally puke a little bit in my mouth.

Every time I see one of your posts I literally puke a little bit in my mouth.

Hmmm. Now you know what we all feel like when yours pop up.

Go back to your line threads dude. At least I got to drink when those popped up.

PS: Holland will never make an offer sheet for Doughty. It's just never going to happen. Doughty will hit the arbitrator if nothing else.

Yeah four 30th overall picks. :D

Guest Crymson

What would you feel is reasonable compensation for a highly rated (future Norris Trophy potential) Dman just on the verge of entering his prime?

Looking at the past 4 years none of our "top" picks look like they'll be much better than a 3rd line forward, or #5/#6 Dman (possible exception though with Smith - might be a #3/#4 Dman in 2, or 3 years from now).

To me it's something any reasonable GM would consider if he were to poach a RFA from a rival.

Doughty took a step back last season. It remains to be seen if he'll continue to improve. Further, a significant concussion is nothing to be sneezed at; it can forebode bad things, as sustaining one concussion significantly increases the chances that another will occur.

Too, Holland has stated that he'll not do this sort of thing. It tends to strain relations and give a GM a bad reputation.

This is all moot, of course, because L.A. will be taking him to arbitration just as Nashville did with Weber and NJ with Parise. Holland wouldn't have the opportunity to present an offer sheet.

Edited by Crymson

Guest Crymson

There's no doubt that 1 concussion could lead to another - and another, but that could be said about any number of players who've gotten their bells rung in the past few years (Brad Richards comes to mind)...Just hope that it won't happen again.

I'm not expecting Holland to make the Doughty camp an offer (now if Doughty had played for the Hurricanes - that might be a different story) as it can create animosity throughout the league.

But seriously though - 4 first round picks to me seem pretty resonable for Doughty when ya consider that we really have nothing special in GR.

I edited my post when I realized another point: L.A. will simply take Doughty to arbitration if he turns down this offer, so they'll be immune to offer sheets for him anyway.