• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Pasha 13

RFA/UFA Signings

Rate this topic

I dont know much about this guy, but I was under the impression alot of people were wanting him to come to Detroit. Not to replace Raffi, but Big E.

I don't know many people that wanted him here period, he's a good depth signing for TB and fits their system well, but I wouldn't want him here...

Daaaammit. I was really hoping the Wings would land him.

I think Laich could have landed 4.25 on the open market, the Caps paid what they felt necessary to keep him around.

Edited by Travis

Daaaammit. I was really hoping the Wings would land him.

I think Laich could have landed 4.25 on the open market, the Caps paid what they felt necessary to keep him around.

Now seeing that price tag though, you gotta at least admit it was never happening here... that is at LEAST a mil more than he is worth...

This is a perfect case in point of just one team overpaying for a player and we're out. With UFA defensemen dropping off the board and signing with their old teams, that makes the pool a little smaller and a guy like Wisniewski even bigger. Someone with a need for a defenseman will overpay for him. A lot of people are saying we should get Wiz for $4.2 to $4.5. Someone will throw $5.5 or more at him.

This is a perfect case in point of just one team overpaying for a player and we're out. With UFA defensemen dropping off the board and signing with their old teams, that makes the pool a little smaller and a guy like Wisniewski even bigger. Someone with a need for a defenseman will overpay for him. A lot of people are saying we should get Wiz for $4.2 to $4.5. Someone will throw $5.5 or more at him.

The Wings need to make a splash on the D side and they may be forced to overpay, with that said, I think low to mid 4m range is what Wiz SHOULD get, but I wouldn't have a problem with the Wings going as high as 5 to secure him... any higher than that and I think you set a dangerous precedence for re-signing Kronwall and Stuart next year and I'd walk from it...

The Wings need to make a splash on the D side and they may be forced to overpay, with that said, I think low to mid 4m range is what Wiz SHOULD get, but I wouldn't have a problem with the Wings going as high as 5 to secure him... any higher than that and I think you set a dangerous precedence for re-signing Kronwall and Stuart next year and I'd walk from it...

That's really the biggest problem - setting a poor precedent. To me, based on the current landscape of the NHL defenseman like Wisniewski, Stuart, Kronwall, Bieksa etc are $4.5-$4.75 per year guys when they hit free agency. Even Ehroff, who is probably the most likely to get an overpayment is really only like a $5M guy (tops) because of the offence he brings.

If you go $5M to Wisniewski and by the end of the season he's clearly you're number 4 behind Lidstrom, Kronwall, and Stuart then next summer Kronwall and Stuart should really stick it to you.

Exactly. All of our defensemen can't be making $5-$6 mil. If we can get Wiz for under $5 mil, that's perfect, but I have a bad feeling that someone like Toronto or even Florida trying to get the cap floor, will overpay.

Exactly. All of our defensemen can't be making $5-$6 mil. If we can get Wiz for under $5 mil, that's perfect, but I have a bad feeling that someone like Toronto or even Florida trying to get the cap floor, will overpay.

and that's where it will come down to Wiz, if he want a little more $$, or a better chance to win...

and that's where it will come down to Wiz, if he want a little more $, or a better chance to win...

Exactly, that is where it comes down to the player does he care more about money or winning. But I think sometimes you might have to overpay a player every now and then to fill a huge hole that won't be filled by some lower tiered, lesser known defense men.

For those sayings Laich "shouldn't" have gotten the $4.5m..

Laich tied for 92nd in points among forwards with 48. He's much better defensively and physically than a guy with a few more like Bourque, Samuelsson, Steen, or Leino.

He was paid probably around 65th among forwards, but by the end of next year his salary might not even be that of a first liner.

So if he was paid too much, it wasn't by more than $250k or $500k. And Washington putting that extra amount of cap space into keeping Laich is smarter than losing him.

Well the Wings next season just counting Lids probable retirement and the trend of the cap should have no problem signing anyone player they want. The question the Wings need to ask themselves is what must they do to keep the team competitive today in a league that is in upheaval? The answer is they may need to spend abit more for a D man than they would like that is the price teams have to pay to compete.

As for this contract, I would say he got about 15% more than his fair market value, but, its a 6 year contract, should he continue to progress and the salary cap continue to rise at 5-8% a year this could be a steal in 2-3 years.

For those sayings Laich "shouldn't" have gotten the $4.5m..

Laich tied for 92nd in points among forwards with 48. He's much better defensively and physically than a guy with a few more like Bourque, Samuelsson, Steen, or Leino.

He was paid probably around 65th among forwards, but by the end of next year his salary might not even be that of a first liner.

So if he was paid too much, it wasn't by more than $250k or $500k. And Washington putting that extra amount of cap space into keeping Laich is smarter than losing him.

you're silly. :)

Well the Wings next season just counting Lids probable retirement and the trend of the cap should have no problem signing anyone player they want. The question the Wings need to ask themselves is what must they do to keep the team competitive today in a league that is in upheaval? The answer is they may need to spend abit more for a D man than they would like that is the price teams have to pay to compete.

As for this contract, I would say he got about 15% more than his fair market value, but, its a 6 year contract, should he continue to progress and the salary cap continue to rise at 5-8% a year this could be a steal in 2-3 years.

We also need to land a bona fide stud next off season when the unthinkable happens, so we can't overpay too much, and we also have to re-sign Kronwall and Stuart, both of whom will almost certainly see reasonable raises... I don't think I'd be comfortable with the Wings paying a penny more than 5 for Wiz...

Guest Hatethedrake!

Brooks Laich signs six-year contract extension with Washington Capitals

$4.5 mil per season for Brooks Laich? There's some serious overpayment.

I do agree that the contract is overpayment. It's funny. Human nature. Caps fans will all say how great of a steal they got with this deal. That Laich took a hometown discount. What a team player! Most other non Caps fans will say it is overpayment. Selective Justification 101. Us Wings fans do it as well. Anyway, Laich is a good player. I like his overall game. However he is not worth 4.5 mil a season. I do realize that many teams likely would have offered more on July 1st. It's called the SILLY SEASON for a reason. Still it does not make the contract justified. I guess it is all in the eye of the beholder. It's like being at a yard sale. One may call an item a steal while another may call it junk.