• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Pasha 13

RFA/UFA Signings

Rate this topic

Now seeing that price tag though, you gotta at least admit it was never happening here... that is at LEAST a mil more than he is worth...

Yeah, that's more than what he would've made in Detroit, for sure. I was cap-calculating yesterday and I actually penciled him in for 4.25 - which handcuffed us with the necessary additions to the D.

I'll pass. He's injury prone, vanishes in the playoffs and costs a lot. No thanks.

His whole team vanishes in the playoffs, a change of scenery could do him good.

you're silly. :)

We also need to land a bona fide stud next off season when the unthinkable happens, so we can't overpay too much, and we also have to re-sign Kronwall and Stuart, both of whom will almost certainly see reasonable raises... I don't think I'd be comfortable with the Wings paying a penny more than 5 for Wiz...

I believe the cap went up 8% this season, if that trend continues to next season it will be close to 69 million dollars (5 million dollar increase) but lets say its a modest increase of 5% thats still a 3 million dollar increase. Wiz will be eating most of the Rafi contract that came off the books at 5 million, but there is still 1 million that is between that and Rafi's cap hit, add the 6.2 million that will be off the books from Lids, the 3 million cap increase and the 6.8 coming off the books from Stuart and Kronwall the Wings will have in the ball park of 17 million dollars to spend to resign Kronwall, Stuart and a third stud defenseman. So if they both take 4.5 million they leaves 8 million in cap space, more than enough for a #1 Dman.

Edited by Shaman464

His whole team vanishes in the playoffs, a change of scenery could do him good.

I think they may be more in the need of a coaching change to be honest, with that talent, you put Hitchcock there and you have a Stanley Cup in 3 years...

Guest Hatethedrake!

Everyone signing lately seems to be overpaid. Wiz is going to get around 5 million plus for sure.

I've alluded to this in another thread...If Wiz or any other dman is to be a Red Wing on July 1st then it will have to be at a discount. The Wings will not be the highest bidder on the most wanted UFAs. Kenny has his price and he may be willing to go a tad higher than he wants to get the player he wants. But he will not be putting his team in Salary Cap Hell just for the sake of outbidding other GMs.

We also need to land a bona fide stud next off season when the unthinkable happens, so we can't overpay too much, and we also have to re-sign Kronwall and Stuart, both of whom will almost certainly see reasonable raises... I don't think I'd be comfortable with the Wings paying a penny more than 5 for Wiz...

Assuming that Lidstrom does retire after next season the Wings will look for another top 4 - if not a top 2 type guy. Although prices for defenseman seem to be going up we haven't really seen any of the massive deals that were given out a few years ago (in the 7ish range). Maybe that's a product of those players being unavailable but I think most teams are also transitioning the distribution of cash on their teams. I think they're seeing teams who are built with a more well rounded and cash dispered blue line have more success (typically).

The other good thing next season is that the Wings will have some additional (beyond Lidstrom) money coming off the books that they potentially will/could use. Currently they only have $26M commited to 9 players. Obviously that will go up with some of the contracts they sign this summer. But notable names that will be UFAs next summer include the aforementioned Lidstrom, Stuart and Kronwall plus Hudler, Bertuzzi, and Holmstrom.

I believe the cap went up 8% this season, if that trend continues to next season it will be close to 69 million dollars (5 million dollar increase) but lets say its a modest increase of 5% thats still a 3 million dollar increase. Wiz will be eating most of the Rafi contract that came off the books at 5 million, but there is still 1 million that is between the Wings and the cap ceiling, add the 6.2 million that will be off the books from Lids, the 3 million cap increase and the 6.8 coming off the books from Stuart and Kronwall the Wings will have in the ball park of 17 million dollars to spend to resign Kronwall, Stuart and a third stud defenseman. So if they both take 4.5 million they leaves 8 million in cap space, more than enough for a #1 Dman.

Agreed completely, I was just getting at the fact that even though I think 5m is an overpayment for Wiz, I'd be ok with that, I just don't want to see us WAY overpay and give him more than that and handcuff ourselves in other ways, such as re-signing our current players (one could easily make an argument that Kronwall is a better player than Wiz and therefore, would command more)

I think they may be more in the need of a coaching change to be honest, with that talent, you put Hitchcock there and you have a Stanley Cup in 3 years...

Oh for sure. There's no denying the Capitals desperately need a coaching change. From an individual standpoint, though, I'd ignore Semin's 'playoff vanishes' because of his team's overall struggles.

I've alluded to this in another thread...If Wiz or any other dman is to be a Red Wing on July 1st then it will have to be at a discount. The Wings will not be the highest bidder on the most wanted UFAs. Kenny has his price and he may be willing to go a tad higher than he wants to get the player he wants. But he will not be putting his team in Salary Cap Hell just for the sake of outbidding other GMs.

Agreed, although I'd like Wiz here... a lot... I'd be ecstatic with a little under the radar, signings as well, adding depth. If all the big names out price themselves, Montador+Hejda would be an ok parting gift in my mind...

Oh for sure. There's no denying the Capitals desperately need a coaching change. From an individual standpoint, though, I'd ignore Semin's 'playoff vanishes' because of his team's overall struggles.

Without a doubt and I hope he continues to struggle as a Cap, all the way to FA and a signing with the Wings!

I'll pass. He's injury prone, vanishes in the playoffs and costs a lot. No thanks.

Datsyuk also used to vanish in the playoffs, but then took his game to another level. I would hope that a guy like Datsyuk could motivate a guy like Semin. Then at the same time if Ovie can't get you going I just don't know if it's possible.

Everyone signing lately seems to be overpaid. Wiz is going to get around 5 million plus for sure.

With the cap going up so much this year, I think we need to re-adjust our expectations for what a player is worth. Percentage of the cap is probably a better way to think of salaries than dollar amount.

Is Semin struggling because of the team or is the team struggling because Semin's not producing?

Edited by xtrememachine1

Guest Hatethedrake!

Is Semin struggling because of the team or is the team struggling because Semin's not producing?

Semin can be UP or DOWN or all over the place. He can be messy or quick or come out slow. He can be known as Steamin Alexander Semin. He knows the way.

Countdown to July 1: Are Flyers targeting Stamkos? hmmmmmmm seeing im hearing sum buzzing......... coming out of Tampa Bay Camp......

This will be a signing Stevie Y's career as a GM will be dictated by.

I've had this feeling for the last month or so that Stamkos won't be wearing a Lightning jersey in October. Then again I've never been as surprised as summer of '88 when Gretzky got traded. No one is untouchable.

Semin can be UP or DOWN or all over the place. He can be messy or quick or come out slow. He can be known as Steamin Alexander Semin. He knows the way.

the Semin jokes are too easy, you're better than that!

4.5mil...for Brooks Laich?

by my calculations, that means Zetterberg is worth 13m and Dats is worth about 14-15 then, is that about accurate?

Edited by stevkrause

I just got a great tweet saying, Dupis would have been the 10th leading scorer of UFA with 17 goals...

Shows you how little there is to sign.

We are going to have to get creative. BTW Pascal has always been an inexplicable favourite of mine.