• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Pasha 13

RFA/UFA Signings

Rate this topic

I would like to have Wiz but 5 years/$25M is just too much for him... There is no need to overpay, imagine how much Kronwall will be asking next year... I had chance to watch him with Montreal last season and he's not that good in own zone.

*repost*

I believe the cap went up 8% this season, if that trend continues to next season it will be close to 69 million dollars (5 million dollar increase) but lets say its a modest increase of 5% thats still a 3 million dollar increase. Wiz will be eating most of the Rafi contract that came off the books at 5 million, but there is still 1 million that is between that and Rafi's cap hit, add the 6.2 million that will be off the books from Lids, the 3 million cap increase and the 6.8 coming off the books from Stuart and Kronwall the Wings will have in the ball park of 17 million dollars to spend to resign Kronwall, Stuart and a third stud defenseman. So if they both take 4.5 million they leaves 8 million in cap space, more than enough for a #1 Dman.

5 year breakdown of cap hit percentage given a modest 5% cap increase each year:

2011-12: 7.8%

2012-13: 7.1%

2013-14: 6.7%

2014-15: 6.4%

2015-16: 6.1%

If the league keeps going up at 8% a year this number is smaller and decreases faster, but, over the life of the contract his actual cap hit compared to the cap decreases. So this year it may be an overpayment but by the end of that contract he would be making the equivalent of 3.9 million in today's market.

PS The cap ceiling has (inconsistently though it maybe) gone up 9% a season since the CBA has been enacted.

Edited by Shaman464

*repost*

I believe the cap went up 8% this season, if that trend continues to next season it will be close to 69 million dollars (5 million dollar increase) but lets say its a modest increase of 5% thats still a 3 million dollar increase. Wiz will be eating most of the Rafi contract that came off the books at 5 million, but there is still 1 million that is between that and Rafi's cap hit, add the 6.2 million that will be off the books from Lids, the 3 million cap increase and the 6.8 coming off the books from Stuart and Kronwall the Wings will have in the ball park of 17 million dollars to spend to resign Kronwall, Stuart and a third stud defenseman. So if they both take 4.5 million they leaves 8 million in cap space, more than enough for a #1 Dman.

5 year breakdown of cap hit percentage given a modest 5% cap increase each year:

2011-12: 7.8%

2012-13: 7.1%

2013-14: 6.7%

2014-15: 6.4%

2015-16: 6.1%

If the league keeps going up at 8% a year this number is smaller and decreases faster, but, over the life of the contract his actual cap hit compared to the cap decreases. So this year it may be an overpayment but by the end of that contract he would be making the equivalent of 3.9 million in today's market.

I believe that McKenzie is expecting cap to be at $69M next season... but yes, from your point of view I have to agree 100% with you - but I think that $4M/$4.5M (without Ericsson at $2.5M) should be enough. I think that Wiz would like to play for Detroit and would take less than "better" deal from ex. Panthers... but again from economical point of view I have to agree with you 100%.

I would like to have Wiz but 5 years/$25M is just too much for him... There is no need to overpay, imagine how much Kronwall will be asking next year... I had chance to watch him with Montreal last season and he's not that good in own zone.

Well whatever Wiz gets doesn't change my mind that Kronwall should get $6M next year. I would have no issue with him being a lifetime Wing on a long contract. I would also give Stuart $5M next year for 3 years. With Kindl in the lineup and Smith coming up, those small salaries will offset the raises to Stuart and Kronwall (especially if Lids retires.) I would still have Montador for 1 more year since I signed him for 2 yrs.

You'd have:

Kronner ($6M) Stuart ($5M)

Wiz ($5M) Kindl ($833)

Smith ($875) Montador ($2M)

Giving plenty of room to put a legit offer in on Suter ($7M-$8M (if he is still available.)) Also with Bertuzzi and Holmstrom up, it gives Holland plenty of room to re-sign Helm and Abby(which I believe won't cost more than $2.5M- $3M together.) That is why a few 1 yr offers to older vets to try to bring a Cup in NOW makes a lot of sense. Life is good for a Red Wings fan, that is for sure!

edit: Most importantly if we don't trade him, Hudler's $2.8M falls off too, giving us yet more Cap space...

Let me check my math: Next year as of now, the Wings have $37.5M avail Cap. With my defense costing roughly $27.7M that leaves just under $10M to fill out the offense. Giving $2.5M to Helm/Abby combined, that leaves $7.5 to sign (bring up) four more forwards and a back up goalie. I think this works, especially if they win the Cup this season, the Youth movement can start next year with Mursak and Emmerton returning and maybe two more coming up along with two UFA signing's. Maybe Bert and Homer come back on 1 yr deals at a combined $2M... All that before the Cap goes up again...

Edited by LeftWinger

Guest Crymson

If Ken Holland was smart he'd make an offer. I'd say around 7 Million a year. This will hopefully tie the Kings hands up.

If Ken Holland is smart--and he is, given that he's the best GM in the business--he'll let someone else do it. Making offer sheets to RFAs tends to anger other GMs. In the last five years, only Kevin Lowe and Doug Wilson have done it. Kevin Lowe isn't employed anymore, and Doug Wilson has proven himself a general s***head. After his offer sheet to Hjalmarsson last year and his mistreatment and manipulation of Setoguchi this offseason, I doubt he'll be seeing much trust from GMs or from players. Such things matter.

RealKyper Nick Kypreos

I hear #Leafs are working on trading for #Penguins Max Talbot rights prior to waiting July 1st when he becomes a UFA.

Also teams can start talking to agents about offer sheets tonight.

Edited by redwingfan19

If Ken Holland is smart--and he is, given that he's the best GM in the business--he'll let someone else do it. Making offer sheets to RFAs tends to anger other GMs. In the last five years, only Kevin Lowe and Doug Wilson have done it. Kevin Lowe isn't employed anymore, and Doug Wilson has proven himself a general s***head. After his offer sheet to Hjalmarsson last year and his mistreatment and manipulation of Setoguchi this offseason, I doubt he'll be seeing much trust from GMs or from players. Such things matter.

Even with as negative and generally sour as you normally are, in this case, you could not be more correct with your points.

Agreed 100%

Toronto's Christian Hanson and Tim Brent will reportedly become unrestricted free agents July 1st, in addition to Fredrik Sjostrom and Jay Rosehill. Needless to say, Burkie will be re-structuring his bottom 6. I haven't heard much about Colton Orr lately. Last year, it was once thought he would be forced into early retirement due to concussion issues. Rumors are circulating that Burke is looking to trade for Max Talbot's negotiating rights. I wouldn't be surprised if he went after Zenon Konopka or Cam Janssen, as well.

Not a ton of impact players in this drying market... I'm not terribly concerned that it's drying up. Vancouver signed our most likely UFA d-man target. Carolina bummed me out too. I guess Wiz is our last UFA hope. Ehrhoff would be a mistake at the money he wants and White's suddenly a journeyman (which may speak to his true value). At this point it's Wiz or a trade as far as I'm concerned. I don't think it'd be a tragedy to give Smith and Kindl a shot at real mins instead of making a panic signing.

Not a ton of impact players in this drying market... I'm not terribly concerned that it's drying up. Vancouver signed our most likely UFA d-man target. Carolina bummed me out too. I guess Wiz is our last UFA hope. Ehrhoff would be a mistake at the money he wants and White's suddenly a journeyman (which may speak to his true value). At this point it's Wiz or a trade as far as I'm concerned. I don't think it'd be a tragedy to give Smith and Kindl a shot at real mins instead of making a panic signing.

I wouldn't necessarily call White a journeyman. I think he can be a strong player on a strong team.

Here is how I honestly see things shaking out:

Wizniewski - Kronwall

Lidstrom - Smith

Montador - Stuart

Kindl

Switch Kindl in for Montador and bring up Janik as our 7th as another option.

Wizniewski signs for 4 years at 4.75 million per. Montador signs for 1 year 1 2.25 million.

I would really like to see Smith make the team and learn from Lidstrom. I think it could really benefit him.

And I just have a feeling that Ericsson's negotiation will fall through, I don't know why, just a feeling.

Guest Crymson

Call me crazy,but I'll throw Flip+Tatar and a 2012 1st for lazy and inconsistent Alex Semin :ph34r:

.... and he's got one year left on his contract.

Even with as negative and generally sour as you normally are, in this case, you could not be more correct with your points.

I'm generally accused of being an overly-positive homer during the regular season. :ph34r:

Yeah, good call on Wilson. But I agree, I'm sure that someone other than Kenny will be throwing huge offer sheets at Doughty and Stamkos!

Call me crazy,but I'll throw Flip+Tatar and a 2012 1st for lazy and inconsistent Alex Semin :ph34r:

You're Crazy.

Ehrhoff's rights traded to NYI for 4th round pick.

I wonder what drugs Snow is on to think that he is going to be able to sign Ehrhoff. That 4th was a huge waste.

I wonder what drugs Snow is on to think that he is going to be able to sign Ehrhoff. That 4th was a huge waste.

Maybe Ehrhoff will ask his old teammate Evgeni Nabokov about how great it is to be part of the Islanders organization.

Edited by mjlegend

No kidding, that's what I was thinking... what a waste of a pic, I think there is a less than 5% chance they sign him, unless they're going to throw a Brian Campbell contract at him, that he's not worth...

Guest Hatethedrake!

He's been a journeyman due to his rather odd contracts these past few years.

That said he'd make a solid top 4 Dman on this Red Wings team...If we can't get Wiz - I hope Holland makes a serious offer to White...Even better if we could land both, and tell Ericsson to hit the road.

Telling Ericsson to hit the road would make me happy. :thumbup:

I have read numerous reports on Twitter this morning that the Preds f***ed up the Qualifying Offers for Kostitsyn, O'Reilly & Spaling so all 3 could become UFAs.

I might not mind seeing Kostitsyn here, he seemed to be a bit better after getting out of Montreal.

Guest Hatethedrake!

It won't happen dry.gif ...Holland/Babcock seem to like Ericsson too much.

That said there's still alot of hope for Kenny to sign Wiz...If not Wiz I'd be happy with White.

Yeah I know Kenny has a hard on for Ericsson. I just like to think of a Wings roster with Ericsson not on it. Much like I do with Hudler. I can stomach having Ericsson on the team but not Hudler.:ph34r: I can see teams offering Wiz a ton of money and term. If he wants to be a Red Wing, he will have to take less than what the stupid desperate teams are offering. White would be a good pick-up as well. :thumbup:

Edited by Hatethedrake!

Yeah I know Kenny has a hard on for Ericsson. I just like to think of a Wings roster with Ericsson not on it. Much like I do with Hudler. I can stomach having Ericsson on the team but not Hudler.:ph34r: I can see teams offering Wiz a ton of money and term. If he wants to be a Red Wing, he will have to take less than what the stupid desperate teams are offering. White would be a good pick-up as well. :thumbup:

I think White is overrated and even Wiz scares me a little, as he's really only had one good year, but his playing style makes me more comfortable, because I think he'd fit in well here and this would be a good system for him... I wouldn't go after White though...

I know a lot of people wouldn't be, but to be honest, even if we can't hit a home run, I'd be fine with re-signing E, singing Montador and then signing a less flashy, complimentary top 4 type guy to fill out the D like Anton Babchuk...

Lidstrom, Kronwall, Stuart, Babchuk, Montador, Ericsson and Kindl... looks good enough to me to compete at a high level...

Then next year when the unspeakable happens, you go out and make a MAJOR splash and sign someone like Brent Burns or Ryan Sutter

Edited by stevkrause

I think White is overrated and even Wiz scares me a little, as he's really only had one good year, but his playing style makes me more comfortable, because I think he'd fit in well here and this would be a good system for him... I wouldn't go after White though...

I know a lot of people wouldn't be, but to be honest, even if we can't hit a home run, I'd be fine with re-signing E, singing Montador and then signing a less flashy, complimentary top 4 type guy to fill out the D like Anton Babchuk...

Lidstrom, Kronwall, Stuart, Babchuk, Montador, Ericsson and Kindl... looks good enough to me to compete at a high level...

Then next year when the unspeakable happens, you go out and make a MAJOR splash and sign someone like Brent Burns or Ryan Sutter

Honestly, I think White would flourish in our system. A little stability might go a long way for him as well. I don't want to go chasing after the guy, but at the right price and term... I'd be okay with him.

EDIT: WHITE WAS AWARDED THAT $3M FROM AN ARBITRATOR, NO?

To your bolded Krause: I like. Very much. I certainly don't want the Wings leaving money out on the table this year, but I'd rather see that than chasing after big money question marks. (Kaberle/Ehrhoff)

EDIT2: Clarity.

Edited by e_prime

Guest Hatethedrake!

That is assuming both Burns or Suter are available. Seeing the high price the Wilson gave up to acquire Burns, I can't see the Sharks letting him walk away as a UFA. I think the Preds lock up Suter after they do likewise with Weber. Ideally it would be nice to have a shot at getting these guys but a year is a long time. They may not even be available. I'm not a fan of Babchuk. I like Montador. Ericsson is like barley. You can eat it but would rather have frosted flakes. I need to see Kindl play more to form an accurate assessment of him.

Edited by Hatethedrake!