• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Pasha 13

RFA/UFA Signings

Rate this topic

Honestly, I think White would flourish in our system. A little stability might go a long way for him as well. I don't want to go chasing after the guy, but at the right price and term... I'd be okay with him.

EDIT: WHITE WAS AWARDED THAT $3M FROM AN ARBITRATOR, NO?

To the bolded: I like. Very much. I certainly don't want the Wings leaving money out on the table this year, but I'd rather see that than chasing after big money question marks. (Kaberle/Ehrhoff)

I think White is a little overrated and don't care for his game that much, but can recognize his upside and you may very well be right about him flourishing here... I wouldn't HATE the signing if we brought on White, I just wouldn't be happy about it either...

I'm with you 100% on your second part - I also don't want them sitting on capspace, when they could make a good move, but I don't want them overpaying for guys, that I don't thunk fit here, just because the pool is thin and they're all that's available... it's almost Wiz or bust for me at this point and if we can't get him, I'd rather they sign the second tier guys and roll with it...

Edited by stevkrause

Guest Hatethedrake!

I think White is a little overrated and don't care for his game that much, but can recognize his upside and you may very well be right about him flourishing here... I wouldn't HATE the signing if we brought on White, I just wouldn't be happy about it either...

I'm with you 100% on your second part - I also don't want them sitting on capspace, when they could make a good move, but I don't want them overpaying for guys, that I don't thunk fit here, just because the pool is thin and they're all that's available... it's almost Wiz or bust for me at this point and if we can't get him, I'd rather they sign the second tier guys and roll with it...

What would we all think if Kenny doesn't sign anyone and we have all this Cap space left? I don't think it will happen but it would be weird wouldn't it? We've always been a Cap team since the lockout.

What would we all think if Kenny doesn't sign anyone and we have all this Cap space left? I don't think it will happen but it would be weird wouldn't it? We've always been a Cap team since the lockout.

I could see him making a trade and taking on someone else's questionable contract, who is still a viable player in the final year of their deal in that case... no names come to mind, but forward or D, there are always these guys out there and I can't see Kenny sitting on capspace, when the option to make the team better is available...

It's just that I keep reading: Replacement for Rafalski, Replacement for Rafalski, Replacement for Rafalski... all over the frigging place... over and over again.

...and I think to myself, how is this not possibly Ian White? He's only 27. Right Handed. He moves the puck well. Is above average skater and puck handler and has a big shot from the point. Give him a couple years of stability in the Detroit system and he will flourish. $3M for 3 years. Not breaking the bank and not an immovable contract if it doesn't work.

Also, I found out my answer. Calgary avoided arbitration with White by offering him the $3M. Speculation says that Calgary saved themselves about half a million.

I have read numerous reports on Twitter this morning that the Preds f***ed up the Qualifying Offers for Kostitsyn, O'Reilly & Spaling so all 3 could become UFAs.

I might not mind seeing Kostitsyn here, he seemed to be a bit better after getting out of Montreal.

To steal from DGB:

Vulturing a team's young players that become FAs due to a paperwork gaffe: Cool.

Offer-sheeting RFAs: HOW DARE YOU SIR???

...God, I love days off where I can just f*** around on the computer and read/post about hockey all day long! Can't wait for Friday.

Edited by e_prime

Guest Hatethedrake!

It's just that I keep reading: Replacement for Rafalski, Replacement for Rafalski, Replacement for Rafalski... all over the frigging place... over and over again.

...and I think to myself, how is this not possibly Ian White? He's only 27. Right Handed. He moves the puck well. Is above average skater and puck handler and has a big shot from the point. Give him a couple years of stability in the Detroit system and he will flourish. $3M for 3 years. Not breaking the bank and not an immovable contract if it doesn't work.

Also, I found out my answer. Calgary avoided arbitration with White by offering him the $3M. Speculation says that Calgary saved themselves about half a million.

There is no one in UFA which will really replace Rafalski. Rafalski was an elite level offensive dman. He used to be decent defensively when he could use his legs to skate and get out of trouble. With so many injuries the past 3 seasons, it took this attribute away from him. White is not a replacement for Rafalski. The only similarity is that they are both right handed shots. I don't mind White but he is not in Rafalski's league when it comes to overall hockey ability. Neither are Ehrhoff or Wiz for that matter. I know some will not miss Rafalski but I will.

would that make the tigers even better??

There is no one in UFA which will really replace Rafalski. Rafalski was an elite level offensive dman. He used to be decent defensively when he could use his legs to skate and get out of trouble. With so many injuries the past 3 seasons, it took this attribute away from him. White is not a replacement for Rafalski. The only similarity is that they are both right handed shots. I don't mind White but he is not in Rafalski's league when it comes to overall hockey ability. Neither are Ehrhoff or Wiz for that matter. I know some will not miss Rafalski but I will.

I'm on board with you on that, sir. There isn't a UFA that can replace Raffi this year or next year... just in the same way that there won't be a replacement for Lids when he retires. He will be missed, but we can't sit back and lament about how great he was either and not think about what you're going to do to fill that void.

I'm certainly not stating that White is a skill for skill, no team adjustments, no problems, fits like a puzzle piece replacement for Raffi. Just to be clear.

...but I also think that he'll be less expensive and possibly a better, more team friendly move than say someone like Kaberle or Ehrhoff, who could also be viewed as a "replacement" for Rafalski.

Edited by e_prime

Also, I found out my answer. Calgary avoided arbitration with White by offering him the $3M. speculation says that Calgary saved themselves about half a million.

fair enough and I can definitely see your argument and if he can be had for around 3m, then I'm all for that, I just suspect he is going to want more and don't know if I'm comfortable with that...

If our only off season signings (other than retaining our own) are White and Montador, I could live with that... but with that said, I still want Wiz above all else...

I also can not stress enough how great I think Montador would be here for the bottom pairing...

Edited by stevkrause

Telling Ericsson to hit the road would make me happy. :thumbup:

don't you have to think, though, that there's a good chance that the red wings management know more about ericsson as a player than us who are just watching him during the regular season and waiting for him to screw up? yeah i wish he didn't make as many mistakes and played more physically, but i don't get paid millions of dollars to judge hockey ability...dammit.

if he were a free agent and never touched a wings uniform before i bet there would be more than a few people here telling kenny to sign him up because of his size and age.

I think White is overrated and even Wiz scares me a little, as he's really only had one good year, but his playing style makes me more comfortable, because I think he'd fit in well here and this would be a good system for him... I wouldn't go after White though...

I know a lot of people wouldn't be, but to be honest, even if we can't hit a home run, I'd be fine with re-signing E, singing Montador and then signing a less flashy, complimentary top 4 type guy to fill out the D like Anton Babchuk...

Lidstrom, Kronwall, Stuart, Babchuk, Montador, Ericsson and Kindl... looks good enough to me to compete at a high level...

Then next year when the unspeakable happens, you go out and make a MAJOR splash and sign someone like Brent Burns or Ryan Sutter

I've got to agree. As much as the Wings need D help I sure don't want them getting saddled with a bad contract (at least for more than 1 year) just because they need a good top 4 Dman. I doubt with Kenny that will be a problem but an overpaid/longish term panic signing sure could cause problems in the future.

fair enough and I can definitely see your argument and if he can be had for around 3m, then I'm all for that, I just suspect he is going to want more and don't know if I'm comfortable with that...

Which is why I don't want them to "chase" him. He's currently at roughly the same cap hit as Kronner and Stewie. Does he warrant a similar salary? With the increasing cap... does he earn a bit more... knowing the aforementioned will get raises next year? $3 - $3.3 over 3 years is what I would be comfortable with.

If our only off season signings (other than retaining our own) are White and Montador, I could live with that... but with that said, I still want Wiz above all else...

I also can not stress enough how great I think Montador would be here for the bottom pairing...

I think you and I are in complete agreement on this.

For s***s and giggles:

Kronner - Wiz

Lids - Ericsson

White - Montador

Kindl

HA! BRAINFART. Left out Stuart.

Kronwall - Stuart

Lids - Ericsson

White - Montador

Kindl

or

Kronwall - Wiz

Lids - Ericsson

White - Stuart

Kindl

Edited by e_prime

don't you have to think, though, that there's a good chance that the red wings management know more about ericsson as a player than us who are just watching him during the regular season and waiting for him to screw up? yeah i wish he didn't make as many mistakes and played more physically, but i don't get paid millions of dollars to judge hockey ability...dammit.

if he were a free agent and never touched a wings uniform before i bet there would be more than a few people here telling kenny to sign him up because of his size and age.

It's not some crazy coincidence that E cracked the top 30 available UFA's on TFP and has been talked about on NHL network, TSN, etc as a target in FA, nor is it a mistake that minds like Holland, Bowman and Babcock all saw enough in him to praise him, but some people only see the mistakes...

Too many people on this board want our bottom pairing d-men to be elite top two players and don't realize, or accept the fact that it just isn't, and won't be, the case...

Can't please all the people, all the time.

Guest Hatethedrake!

would that make the tigers even better??

Nah they need a second baseman (why did they let Polanco go?) and a replacement for Coke and Penny.

It's not some crazy coincidence that E cracked the top 30 available UFA's on TFP and has been talked about on NHL network, TSN, etc as a target in FA, nor is it a mistake that minds like Holland, Bowman and Babcock all saw enough in him to praise him, but some people only see the mistakes...

Too many people on this board want our bottom pairing d-men to be elite top two players and don't realize, or accept the fact that it just isn't, and won't be, the case...

Can't please all the people, all the time.

Afterall, we did win a cup with Lebda.

Afterall, we did win a cup with Lebda.

And he's barely even an AHL caliber defenseman, so, Ericsson, who is an NHL caliber player (bottom pairing, but still NHL level), is not going to do us in, even if someone doesn't have faith in him...

Tomas Fleischmann and Christian Ehrhoff please.

I wouldn't mind taking a flier on Fleischmann for the right price, but I do not want Ehrhoff, he is looking for more than he is worth and was helped out by playing with great players in Van... I think he has bust written all over him... I'd take a chance on Ian White before Ehrhoff...

lebda dropped the stanley cup and dented it.

and then toronto paid him millions of dollars to play at forward.

haha.

:no:

We should start using his name as a verb for anytime someone signs a horrible contract

ie. I can't believe Florida lebda'd Kopecky...

What do you think?

I wouldn't mind taking a flier on Fleischmann for the right price, but I do not want Ehrhoff, he is looking for more than he is worth and was helped out by playing with great players in Van... I think he has bust written all over him... I'd take a chance on Ian White before Ehrhoff...

this means absolutely nothing at all, and i only did this because i'm one of those "will he stick up for himself and his teammates" slappies, but i looked at ian white's fight card and in '08-'09 he fought markus naslund to a draw with an overall fight score of 1.6.

tee hee.

We should start using his name as a verb for anytime someone signs a horrible contract

ie. I can't believe Florida lebda'd Kopecky...

What do you think?

i believe that's been officially called "fingered."

same team, though.

now that i think about it that sounds pretty nasty. yeah let's call it "lebda'd."

this means absolutely nothing at all, and i only did this because i'm one of those "will he stick up for himself and his teammates" slappies, but i looked at ian white's fight card and in '08-'09 he fought markus naslund to a draw with an overall fight score of 1.6.

tee hee.

i believe that's been officially called "fingered."

same team, though.

now that i think about it that sounds pretty nasty. yeah let's call it "lebda'd."

I didn't say he way tough, haha

Nah they need a second baseman (why did they let Polanco go?) and a replacement for Coke and Penny.

Penny is a joke. Don't get me wrong, Coke and Porcello aren't lighting it up either but Penny looks so shakey out there. Porcello will be good. Thank God Verlander and Scherzer are tearing it up.

Verlander for the CY Young

Guest Hatethedrake!

Penny is a joke. Don't get me wrong, Coke and Porcello aren't lighting it up either but Penny looks so shakey out there. Porcello will be good. Thank God Verlander and Scherzer are tearing it up.

Verlander for the CY Young

Verlander is worth the price of admission himself. Glad to see he's putting together a Cy Young type season. Porcello has a solid future. He got lit up the other night but he's still in his learning curve.