• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Pasha 13

RFA/UFA Signings

Rate this topic

Darren Dreger Iginla believed to be involved in Flames offer. Richards, Iginla and Tanguay. Flames travel schedule may be a negative.

Bob McKenzie I suspect NYR favorite to win out, but I would guess CGY is ahead of TOR or LA or other suitors at this point. Will find out soon enough.

Edited by darkmanx

Does anyone know if we've actually made an offer to Richards?

I would be surprised as Ken Holland always likes to "kick the tires" and I think I heard something earlier about the Wings being on a conference call with Richards and his crew. Although, it sounds like all teams were meeting with him.

I wouldn't be surprised if they made an offer, but I'm sure he'll get a longer term and higher offer elsewhere.

Anyone think there might be a reason why none of the legit contenders were willing to sign Ehrhoff, Wiz or Kaberle to big contracts?\

Wiz doesn't have the body of work to justify a 6 year 5.5 million dollar cap hit on a real team. I wanted the Wings to sign him but not for a deal like that.

I'm glad Holland isn't the kind of dumbass GM who makes a signing in the summer just so he can have a big, exciting press conference to make all the fans happy. If there isn't a piece that fits the Wings in terms of the team AND the salary structure the smart move is to look for other options.

I just checked the calendar and it's not October. I also checked NHL.com to see where the Wings were in the 2011-2012 standings... looks like we're fine there as well. Let's not flip out just yet.

Anyone think there might be a reason why none of the legit contenders were willing to sign Ehrhoff, Wiz or Kaberle to big contracts?\

Wiz doesn't have the body of work to justify a 6 year 5.5 million dollar cap hit on a real team. I wanted the Wings to sign him but not for a deal like that.

I'm glad Holland isn't the kind of dumbass GM who makes a signing in the summer just so he can have a big, exciting press conference to make all the fans happy. If there isn't a piece that fits the Wings in terms of the team AND the salary structure the smart move is to look for other options.

I just checked the calendar and it's not October. I also checked NHL.com to see where the Wings were in the 2011-2012 standings... looks like we're fine there as well. Let's not flip out just yet.

You're right....he's just the kind of dumbass that signs a 5th/6th defenseman for over 3 mil a year.

Oh, and the Wings have 21 players under contract right now (only the back-up goaltender space is open) and they have 9.9 million dollars in cap room left.

Considering that they're actively trying to move Hudler (2.875 million dollar cap hit) it's hard to believe Holland is done right now. Pretty much anyone in the league who's looking to move a big contract is going to be calling Holland right now. I wouldn't be surprised if the Wings made a significant trade at some point before Christmas.

Pyett still has a year of AHL eligibility that he'll certainly use.

And an NTC is worthless in the waive and stash in the AHL era. The Campbell trade to Florida also showed us just how worthless an NTC is. What was the spacing between the time we heard he rejected a move and the time we heard he went to Florida? Couldn't have been much longer than a couple of weeks. An NTC is only really an issue with guys like Heatly who you can't waive due to their obvious trade value. If Ericsson plays his way out of Detroit there won't be a bunch of trade offers for him-- he'll be waived and stashed in the AHL if no one will take him.

If only we had cap space.

And nearly 100 days until opening night. :( WE'RE DOOMED!

Is free agency over?

I'm not going to say I'm overly positive so far but the panic on LGW is getting out of hand. Most of the signings so far have been half insane. Sure, Ericsson's contract is a bit out there but it's only for 3 years and the Wings do have the cap space right now. There's plenty of players left to fill, if not all our needs, then at least most of them. Gagne, White, Kaberle, Hannan, Frolov, Zherdev (in that order) would be ok. As long as it's a 1-year deal Holland could overpay by 20 %. I guess Ian White is the only guy I'd really like signed to a longer contract

You're right....he's just the kind of dumbass that signs a 5th/6th defenseman for over 3 mil a year.

Everyone thought Holland overpaid for Kronwall's contract and look how that turned out.

I'm not saying Ericsson is going to start dominating or anything. Sometimes you pay for potential and sometimes you pay because you have to. Ericsson's contract was both of those.

Everyone thought Holland overpaid for Kronwall's contract and look how that turned out.

I'm not saying Ericsson is going to start dominating or anything. Sometimes you pay for potential and sometimes you pay because you have to. Ericsson's contract was both of those.

I agree with your Kronner comparison, with the exception of the term of the contract isn't long enough. If we didn't overpay, we will have to give him a raise in three years anyways.

If we were going to pay him 3.75 I would have liked him on the team for 5 years. Then it would have at least been a deal at the end.

I think the Wings should try and sign Vokoun to a one or two year deal with no NTC. Trade him at the deadline. The guy is solid and we do have 9 million to play with. That way we can at least turn that extra cap cash into draft picks. Maybe even a Dman at the deadline. Someone is going to want a goalie bad at the deadline.

im pretty disappointed at this point. we had the money, there were good players out there, and now we have to settle for the scraps? call me crazy, but i expected at least ONE biggish signing/trade this offseason considering rafi leaving and all our cap space and what happens? Ericsson overpayed, commodore, and re-signing eaves, miller. thats dope...

I agree with your Kronner comparison, with the exception of the term of the contract isn't long enough. If we didn't overpay, we will have to give him a raise in three years anyways.

If we were going to pay him 3.75 I would have liked him on the team for 5 years. Then it would have at least been a deal at the end.

I think the Wings should try and sign Vokoun to a one or two year deal with no NTC. Trade him at the deadline. The guy is solid and we do have 9 million to play with. That way we can at least turn that extra cap cash into draft picks. Maybe even a Dman at the deadline. Someone is going to want a goalie bad at the deadline.

Now that makes zero sense. Vokoun made 5.7M last year. What the hell do the Wings need with a high priced starting goalie. Howie had like a 9.25 save percentage in 11 playoff games and was outstanding. Let's say that we get him at 4-5 mil. Then we sit Howard?

Now that makes zero sense. Vokoun made 5.7M last year. What the hell do the Wings need with a high priced starting goalie. Howie had like a 9.25 save percentage in 11 playoff games and was outstanding. Let's say that we get him at 4-5 mil. Then we sit Howard?

Pay him that much to back up. Then trade him at the deadline for something. Call it an investment.

im pretty disappointed at this point. we had the money, there were good players out there, and now we have to settle for the scraps? call me crazy, but i expected at least ONE biggish signing/trade this offseason considering rafi leaving and all our cap space and what happens? Ericsson overpayed, commodore, and re-signing eaves, miller. thats dope...

It was a mediocre FA class at best. The guy everybody on here wanted was waaaaayyyy over-payed. If we had paid $5M for Wiz for 6 years, people on here would have been going nuts and rightly so.

As far as Big Rig, I'm okay with $3.25/year based on his upside. There were no superstar D-men out there and everybody was chasing a D-man. Supply and demand resulted in ridiculous prices.

It was a mediocre FA class at best. The guy everybody on here wanted was waaaaayyyy over-payed. If we had paid $5M for Wiz for 6 years, people on here would have been going nuts and rightly so.

As far as Big Rig, I'm okay with $3.25/year based on his upside. There were no superstar D-men out there and everybody was chasing a D-man. Supply and demand resulted in ridiculous prices.

I couldn't be happier we didn't get Wiz. The guy strikes me as a piece of work.

The E contract pisses me off, but not to the point where I am furious. I am just disappointed because we are not better than last year. We are clearly worse.