• Please log in to reply
1140 replies to this topic

#781 Wings3:16

Wings3:16

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 05:30 PM

4th Period say Giguere signs w/Avs for two years: http://www.thefourth...col110701b.html
Wings in 2013...Bring the Cup back to Hockeytown!

#782 Vladifan

Vladifan

Legend

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 05:57 PM

The TSN panel was discussing how the Sabres are taking the Red Wings approach; make the players happy, keep a strong sense of loyalty throughout the organisation, and future UFAs will want to play there because word of mouth gets around.

Thanks! :thumbup:

"He even ate with women who at that time were accorded the same status as the family donkey. Are we willing to break bread with, say, child sex slaves, transgender teens and undocumented workers? Because when Jesus comes back to Earth, that's where he'll be hanging."
You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.

#783 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 06:00 PM

The basic gist was ... the best player available is still out there in Richards. If the Wings end up with him, they've done better than anyone else.

Thanks!
"It is a lot easier to be an ******* to words than to people"-xkcd

Tootoo does NOT belong on this team. He is classless and I would rather see the Wings be bad than classless. I feel the same way about Bertuzzi as well, but he at least CAN make the team better. With Tootoo the team becomes worse and in danger of being classless. Would you have liked Claude on the team? Or Roy? No. So why would you be okay with that POS.

This thread has been closed due to emotions being higher than people's ability to read, interpret, and properly respond to simple posts.

#784 redwingfan19

redwingfan19

On a mission

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 06:08 PM

carcillo to hawks

still hoping kenny picks up a tough guy to keep guys like carcillo in check.

one year 775K

Edited by redwingfan19, 01 July 2011 - 06:15 PM.

You may not like tough hockey, but it's winning hockey.

Mitch Callahan: 48GP, 6G, 3A, 9PTS,+/- -3, 103PIMS

14 Fighting Majors

#785 Zetts

Zetts

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 06:16 PM

carcillo to hawks

still hoping kenny picks up a tough guy to keep guys like carcillo in check.

I don't see it happening due to the Miller signing - that would be too many forwards (remembering Mursak and Emmerton are out of options). Not that I'd mind a player like that, it's just clearly not in the plans.

#786 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,911 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 06:23 PM

The ONLY way we get a forward is if someone is traded...we already have 14 forwards. 6 defensmen and 1 goalie. Holland has $9.9M to spend on one more D and one G. So not unless he has a trade in the works, this will be our lineup basically and Holland will have $8M-ish of wasted Cap space. Holland shot the pooch today... And guys, ***** about Wiz's comments all you want, but blame Lidstrom and the like for taking contracts that are considered "Home Town Discounts" because now Holland has the mindset that NOONE can play for the Wings and make more than the Big three. So don't expect Suter next off season...

Bring Fedorov Home For A Day!

He Needs To Retire A Red Wing.

When Gordie Leaves Us, the NHL MUST Retire The #9.

#787 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 06:27 PM

The ONLY way we get a forward is if someone is traded...we already have 14 forwards. 6 defensmen and 1 goalie. Holland has $9.9M to spend on one more D and one G. So not unless he has a trade in the works, this will be our lineup basically and Holland will have $8M-ish of wasted Cap space. Holland shot the pooch today... And guys, ***** about Wiz's comments all you want, but blame Lidstrom and the like for taking contracts that are considered "Home Town Discounts" because now Holland has the mindset that NOONE can play for the Wings and make more than the Big three. So don't expect Suter next off season...

I'd rather have the Wings trade and take on cap space, then waste money on some of the mediocore players that have proved nothing in their careers getting long and expensive contracts.

#788 SwedeLundin77

SwedeLundin77

Over the Line!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 06:32 PM

Seriously, it's Day 1 of the UFA period and we're already bitching. I was ticked earlier at the inaction, but I honestly believe their is a trade plan going on behind closed doors. Or at the least we are exploring some of the UFA d-men available. Anything we do will be short term, as next off-season could be a better opportunity and it will give Holland more freedom to re-sign Kronwall and Stuart.

Commodore is a solid 5/6 d-man, and that was a need, too. He WILL be better than Salei.

I just refuse to accept that with 9.8 million, we're done and won't at least spend another 6.5-7 million. I think we'll be big players at the trade deadline, especially if we cannot move Huds.

That dynamic might be changing slightly, look at Ericsson, that was not typical hometown discount at all. With the increased cap, things need to change. Wiz is more than likely a minority in his mentality about the Wings. s***, Bieksa already said the opposite before re-signing with Vancouver about taking a little less money to play with a contender/solid team.

#789 Hairy Lime

Hairy Lime

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 06:35 PM

I don't see it happening due to the Miller signing - that would be too many forwards (remembering Mursak and Emmerton are out of options). Not that I'd mind a player like that, it's just clearly not in the plans.

Yeah, but if we don't bring in a deterrent, maybe Konopka or even Janssen, those Chicago games are going to be brutal to watch. Carcillo and Mayers, two bonafide head-hunters? Who's the deterrent? Bertuzzi and Comodore? No, if Holland has any intelligence left in that head of his(and after the Ericsson signing, I just don't know) he'd sign an enforcer. I'm sick of having a team full of little ******* every season just because our GM disapproves of fighting.

#790 Johnny Diamonds

Johnny Diamonds

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 06:46 PM

Yeah, but if we don't bring in a deterrent, maybe Konopka or even Janssen, those Chicago games are going to be brutal to watch. Carcillo and Mayers, two bonafide head-hunters? Who's the deterrent? Bertuzzi and Comodore? No, if Holland has any intelligence left in that head of his(and after the Ericsson signing, I just don't know) he'd sign an enforcer. I'm sick of having a team full of little ******* every season just because our GM disapproves of fighting.

The Wings will just punish teams with their 5th place power play now minus Rafalski. :siren:

#791 SwedeLundin77

SwedeLundin77

Over the Line!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 06:53 PM

Notable UFA D-men Available:

Bryan McCabe - 36
Scott Hannan - 32
Tomas Kaberle - 33
Craig Rivet - 36
Ian White - 27
Anton Stralman - 24
Shane O'Brien - 27
Anton Babchuk - 27
Lee Sweatt - 24
]

The guys in bold are the guys I'd like us to target now as a number 4 guy if we go this route. Primarily I'd like White or Babchuk, but Sweatt could be an interesting pick-up.

This is not ideal, but if we're talking about short term contracts, it's definitely something I'm sure the brass is discussing.

#792 kingzetter

kingzetter

Prospect

• 38 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 06:55 PM

Are we even looking for a top four d or is holland stratified

#793 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 07:10 PM

Our power play is going to be awful.
"It is a lot easier to be an ******* to words than to people"-xkcd

Tootoo does NOT belong on this team. He is classless and I would rather see the Wings be bad than classless. I feel the same way about Bertuzzi as well, but he at least CAN make the team better. With Tootoo the team becomes worse and in danger of being classless. Would you have liked Claude on the team? Or Roy? No. So why would you be okay with that POS.

This thread has been closed due to emotions being higher than people's ability to read, interpret, and properly respond to simple posts.

#794 Wings4Life19

Wings4Life19

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 07:12 PM

edit: old news

Edited by Wings4Life19, 01 July 2011 - 07:14 PM.

#795 kingzetter

kingzetter

Prospect

• 38 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 07:12 PM

yes I am not a happy camper...this was a disappointing day

#796 ComradeWasabi

ComradeWasabi

the abdelgator

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 07:16 PM

Per Gord Miller and Bob McKenzie of TSN, the San Jose Sharks have signed Michal Handzus to a two-year deal for $2.5m a year.
QUOTE (thedisappearer @ December 13, 2008 - 10:13AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So, we're dogpiling on the goalie sammy Hudler the defense the refs league bias against us coaching now? Ok.

Babcock is lazy and he sucks!

#797 Johnny Diamonds

Johnny Diamonds

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 07:17 PM

SJ signs Handzus 2 years $2.5 per

#798 Zetts

Zetts

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 07:19 PM

SJ signs Handzus 2 years $2.5 per

Oh crap. They just keep getting better. Handzus isn't amazing, but they're still bolstering their goal-scoring ability.

Lord I hope we have a chance at Gagne...and have plans to improve our D obviously.

#799 redwingfan19

redwingfan19

On a mission

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 07:21 PM

panthers sign bergenhiem
You may not like tough hockey, but it's winning hockey.

Mitch Callahan: 48GP, 6G, 3A, 9PTS,+/- -3, 103PIMS

14 Fighting Majors

#800 RedWingsRox

RedWingsRox

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,168 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 07:21 PM

Boucher is gone. Auld is gone. Is Kenny thinking of bringing back Conklin or going to go with Joey Mac?