• Please log in to reply
1140 replies to this topic

#141 Heaten

Heaten

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 03:56 PM

You have to think Chicago is in the market for a top4 dman as well...

#142 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 03:56 PM

Damn it I liked him. The signing of all of these guys can only mean the remaining few are going to demand more $ and get it right??
....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#143 CanadaBoy

CanadaBoy

The Red Wing Ring

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,593 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 04:21 PM

Wiz, Jagr, and Richards are still avaliable Posted Image
But my most coveted thing is a high self-esteem
And a low tolerance for them telling me how to lean
See the most important parts are the ones that are unseen
The Wings don't make you fly and the Crown don't make you king
Now God don't like ugly, ain't too happy bout pretty
I am ignorance's enemy so stay out of the vicinity of...
~ Lupe Fiasco - Gold Watch

#144 IllinoisRedWingsFan

IllinoisRedWingsFan

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 04:32 PM

Brooks Laich signs six-year contract extension with Washington Capitals

$4.5 mil per season for Brooks Laich? There's some serious overpayment.

If it was me the most I'd given him would have been $3 Million a year.

#145 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,618 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 04:37 PM

this is making me kind of nervous....

we MUST get our hands on Wisniewski and hopefully on Erhoff as well

You'd have to think that now a trade for Wiz's rights would be a pretty good thing to do. I know Montreal said they weren't gonna re-sign him, but sheesh, with all the D-men re-upping already, it makes that much less available! (DUH, but you know what I mean!)

Wiz, 5yrs $5M per....sign him, book it, stamp it....let's roll.

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#146 robb himself

robb himself

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 04:53 PM

You'd have to think that now a trade for Wiz's rights would be a pretty good thing to do. I know Montreal said they weren't gonna re-sign him, but sheesh, with all the D-men re-upping already, it makes that much less available! (DUH, but you know what I mean!)

im totally on board with that.
get it done Kenny!
be about it!

#147 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 05:04 PM

And somewhere Eva is crying softly...
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#148 wingsftw

wingsftw

Draftee

• 8 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 05:04 PM

Howdy all. First time caller, long time listener. I signed up just to post something similar to the above post. I'm getting very nervous with the market drying up, and it would seem that trading for Wiz's rights at this point seems safer than the possibility of a bidding war. Giving up an asset will be less of a loss then overpaying over the course of a contract or probably even worse, losing out on a good signing. I really hope that this happens, in fact, I felt this was a good idea on the 2nd day of the draft as well.

#149 IllinoisRedWingsFan

IllinoisRedWingsFan

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 05:08 PM

If Ken Holland was smart he'd make an offer. I'd say around 7 Million a year. This will hopefully tie the Kings hands up.

#150 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,618 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 05:17 PM

Howdy all. First time caller, long time listener. I signed up just to post something similar to the above post. I'm getting very nervous with the market drying up, and it would seem that trading for Wiz's rights at this point seems safer than the possibility of a bidding war. Giving up an asset will be less of a loss then overpaying over the course of a contract or probably even worse, losing out on a good signing. I really hope that this happens, in fact, I felt this was a good idea on the 2nd day of the draft as well.

First of all, Welcome! Second, even if Holland traded for his rights doesn't mean he won't get in a bidding war over him, he does become a UFA Friday, BUT it does give Holland exclusive negotiating rights up until Friday, so hopefully he would agree to a contract before he becomes a UFA...

www.thinkdunes.com

#151 wingsftw

wingsftw

Draftee

• 8 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 05:27 PM

First of all, Welcome! Second, even if Holland traded for his rights doesn't mean he won't get in a bidding war over him, he does become a UFA Friday, BUT it does give Holland exclusive negotiating rights up until Friday, so hopefully he would agree to a contract before he becomes a UFA...

Yep, I understand. It just seems like it would give us a few days to try to get a contract locked up before a bidding war, in theory possibly saving us cap space. The pick would be conditional too, so it seems to be low risk. This isn't to say that Holland hasn't tried this already or he possibly knows that Wiz won't sign till Friday+ I do have faith in Holland, though he does seem too conservative in pressure situations like this past week or so. Well more conservative than I'd be, which is probably a good thing for sure!

#152 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 05:40 PM

I would like to have Wiz but 5 years/$25M is just too much for him... There is no need to overpay, imagine how much Kronwall will be asking next year... I had chance to watch him with Montreal last season and he's not that good in own zone.
"Some guys dream about scoring goals, or making big saves... I swear to God I dream about kicking ass in a hockey fight - no other way to say it than I love to do it, its who I am"... Brian McGrattan

#153 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 05:56 PM

I would like to have Wiz but 5 years/$25M is just too much for him... There is no need to overpay, imagine how much Kronwall will be asking next year... I had chance to watch him with Montreal last season and he's not that good in own zone.

*repost*
I believe the cap went up 8% this season, if that trend continues to next season it will be close to 69 million dollars (5 million dollar increase) but lets say its a modest increase of 5% thats still a 3 million dollar increase. Wiz will be eating most of the Rafi contract that came off the books at 5 million, but there is still 1 million that is between that and Rafi's cap hit, add the 6.2 million that will be off the books from Lids, the 3 million cap increase and the 6.8 coming off the books from Stuart and Kronwall the Wings will have in the ball park of 17 million dollars to spend to resign Kronwall, Stuart and a third stud defenseman. So if they both take 4.5 million they leaves 8 million in cap space, more than enough for a #1 Dman.

5 year breakdown of cap hit percentage given a modest 5% cap increase each year:
2011-12: 7.8%
2012-13: 7.1%
2013-14: 6.7%
2014-15: 6.4%
2015-16: 6.1%

If the league keeps going up at 8% a year this number is smaller and decreases faster, but, over the life of the contract his actual cap hit compared to the cap decreases. So this year it may be an overpayment but by the end of that contract he would be making the equivalent of 3.9 million in today's market.

PS The cap ceiling has (inconsistently though it maybe) gone up 9% a season since the CBA has been enacted.

Edited by Shaman464, 28 June 2011 - 06:03 PM.

Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#154 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 06:04 PM

*repost*
I believe the cap went up 8% this season, if that trend continues to next season it will be close to 69 million dollars (5 million dollar increase) but lets say its a modest increase of 5% thats still a 3 million dollar increase. Wiz will be eating most of the Rafi contract that came off the books at 5 million, but there is still 1 million that is between that and Rafi's cap hit, add the 6.2 million that will be off the books from Lids, the 3 million cap increase and the 6.8 coming off the books from Stuart and Kronwall the Wings will have in the ball park of 17 million dollars to spend to resign Kronwall, Stuart and a third stud defenseman. So if they both take 4.5 million they leaves 8 million in cap space, more than enough for a #1 Dman.

5 year breakdown of cap hit percentage given a modest 5% cap increase each year:
2011-12: 7.8%
2012-13: 7.1%
2013-14: 6.7%
2014-15: 6.4%
2015-16: 6.1%

If the league keeps going up at 8% a year this number is smaller and decreases faster, but, over the life of the contract his actual cap hit compared to the cap decreases. So this year it may be an overpayment but by the end of that contract he would be making the equivalent of 3.9 million in today's market.

I believe that McKenzie is expecting cap to be at $69M next season... but yes, from your point of view I have to agree 100% with you - but I think that $4M/$4.5M (without Ericsson at $2.5M) should be enough. I think that Wiz would like to play for Detroit and would take less than "better" deal from ex. Panthers... but again from economical point of view I have to agree with you 100%.
"Some guys dream about scoring goals, or making big saves... I swear to God I dream about kicking ass in a hockey fight - no other way to say it than I love to do it, its who I am"... Brian McGrattan

#155 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,618 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 06:06 PM

Well whatever Wiz gets doesn't change my mind that Kronwall should get $6M next year. I would have no issue with him being a lifetime Wing on a long contract. I would also give Stuart $5M next year for 3 years. With Kindl in the lineup and Smith coming up, those small salaries will offset the raises to Stuart and Kronwall (especially if Lids retires.) I would still have Montador for 1 more year since I signed him for 2 yrs.

You'd have:

Kronner ($6M) Stuart ($5M)
Wiz ($5M) Kindl ($833)
Smith ($875) Montador ($2M)

Giving plenty of room to put a legit offer in on Suter ($7M-$8M (if he is still available.)) Also with Bertuzzi and Holmstrom up, it gives Holland plenty of room to re-sign Helm and Abby(which I believe won't cost more than $2.5M- $3M together.) That is why a few 1 yr offers to older vets to try to bring a Cup in NOW makes a lot of sense. Life is good for a Red Wings fan, that is for sure!

edit: Most importantly if we don't trade him, Hudler's $2.8M falls off too, giving us yet more Cap space...

Let me check my math: Next year as of now, the Wings have $37.5M avail Cap. With my defense costing roughly $27.7M that leaves just under $10M to fill out the offense. Giving $2.5M to Helm/Abby combined, that leaves $7.5 to sign (bring up) four more forwards and a back up goalie. I think this works, especially if they win the Cup this season, the Youth movement can start next year with Mursak and Emmerton returning and maybe two more coming up along with two UFA signing's. Maybe Bert and Homer come back on 1 yr deals at a combined $2M... All that before the Cap goes up again...

Edited by LeftWinger, 28 June 2011 - 06:17 PM.

www.thinkdunes.com

#156 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 06:57 PM

:angry:

Pitkanen is awful, dude.

#157 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 07:14 PM

If Ken Holland was smart he'd make an offer. I'd say around 7 Million a year. This will hopefully tie the Kings hands up.

If Ken Holland is smart--and he is, given that he's the best GM in the business--he'll let someone else do it. Making offer sheets to RFAs tends to anger other GMs. In the last five years, only Kevin Lowe and Doug Wilson have done it. Kevin Lowe isn't employed anymore, and Doug Wilson has proven himself a general s***head. After his offer sheet to Hjalmarsson last year and his mistreatment and manipulation of Setoguchi this offseason, I doubt he'll be seeing much trust from GMs or from players. Such things matter.

#158 redwingfan19

redwingfan19

On a mission

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 08:01 PM

RealKyper Nick Kypreos
I hear #Leafs are working on trading for #Penguins Max Talbot rights prior to waiting July 1st when he becomes a UFA.

Also teams can start talking to agents about offer sheets tonight.

Edited by redwingfan19, 28 June 2011 - 08:02 PM.

You may not like tough hockey, but it's winning hockey.

Mitch Callahan: 48GP, 6G, 3A, 9PTS,+/- -3, 103PIMS

14 Fighting Majors

#159 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 08:16 PM

If Ken Holland is smart--and he is, given that he's the best GM in the business--he'll let someone else do it. Making offer sheets to RFAs tends to anger other GMs. In the last five years, only Kevin Lowe and Doug Wilson have done it. Kevin Lowe isn't employed anymore, and Doug Wilson has proven himself a general s***head. After his offer sheet to Hjalmarsson last year and his mistreatment and manipulation of Setoguchi this offseason, I doubt he'll be seeing much trust from GMs or from players. Such things matter.

Even with as negative and generally sour as you normally are, in this case, you could not be more correct with your points.

Agreed 100%

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#160 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,689 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 09:54 PM

Toronto's Christian Hanson and Tim Brent will reportedly become unrestricted free agents July 1st, in addition to Fredrik Sjostrom and Jay Rosehill. Needless to say, Burkie will be re-structuring his bottom 6. I haven't heard much about Colton Orr lately. Last year, it was once thought he would be forced into early retirement due to concussion issues. Rumors are circulating that Burke is looking to trade for Max Talbot's negotiating rights. I wouldn't be surprised if he went after Zenon Konopka or Cam Janssen, as well.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien