14 replies to this topic

#1 X13WINGS13X

X13WINGS13X

#!*% Lebron, Lidstrom is the king.

• Pip
  • 116 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 02:47 PM

http://www.mlive.com...o_land_tom.html

Jim Nill explains Red Wings picks, their potential to play in Detroit, and why they liked them.

#2 Never_Retire_Steve

Never_Retire_Steve

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,156 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 02:53 PM

Jurco could be a great pick pending his development but he kinda reminds me of Filatov for some reason but I hope he develops better than Nikita has to this point.

#3 X13WINGS13X

X13WINGS13X

#!*% Lebron, Lidstrom is the king.

• Pip
  • 116 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 02:58 PM

Ya Filatov didn't come off as determined to develop like Jurco does. Jurco admits that he is extremely skilled but that he needs to work on being better in games rather than just doing tricks. An attitude that is needed to take skill like that and use it effectively in the NHL.

Edited by X13WINGS13X, 26 June 2011 - 02:59 PM.

#4 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 02:59 PM

Jurco could be a great pick pending his development but he kinda reminds me of Filatov for some reason but I hope he develops better than Nikita has to this point.

He's bigger than Filatov and was taken 29 picks later.
But yeah, despite his skills Jurco could definitely be a bust... I just like that a lot of mock drafts had Jurco going to Detroit at 24, yet the Wings got him at 35, with another 2nd round pick to boot.
Red Kelly #4 and Larry Aurie #6 belong in the rafters!!!

"For my game, I don't need to score the goal," Konstantinov once explained. "I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals."

#5 Heaten

Heaten

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 03:08 PM

Jurco doesn't remind me of Hossa at all. He reminds me more of a Datsuyk with no defense intelligence or skills. His puck skills are very, very impressive. His shifty-ness and speed is underrated, he is very good at tricking defensemen with his skating agility. His knocks is his defensive awareness, his refusal to check (back check or fore check), and his inconsistencies. *IF* he can learn the defensive side of the game and learn how to 'bring it' every night, he's the steal of the draft. Dare I say he could very well be Datsyuk's replacement? To soon to tell. He's a boom or bust.

What I found interesting about that article is about Marchenko.

"Hes one of the better young defensemen in Russia," Nill said. "Our Russian scouts know him well and he says he wants to come out in a year. So we feel we have the ability to get him (to North America) if we need to."

I was worried he was KHL bound. Looks like there is a meeting of the mind with him and Detroit.

#6 RusDRW

RusDRW

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,337 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 03:22 PM

"Hes one of the better young defensemen in Russia," Nill said. "Our Russian scouts know him well and he says he wants to come out in a year. So we feel we have the ability to get him (to North America) if we need to."

if this is indeed true he could be a steal. Very mature player at the age of 19. Great positioning, good speed, good ice vision, good puck control. Does not use his size... but well he is Russian after all :) I see his potential as above average classic Russian defenseman. A bit worse version of A. Markov.

Anyway, you all will see him at WJHC in December.
Sweet. This dude was brought here for one reason, to punch people in the head - every other thing that he can do, other Wings can do better. I like that we have a head-puncher. The league has other, better head-punchers, but this one is ours. Better than nothing. Good work, Kenny!

© mikah

#7 Datsyerberger

Datsyerberger

"Dat's yer burger, Hank."

• HoF Booster
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 03:24 PM

I was worried he was KHL bound. Looks like there is a meeting of the mind with him and Detroit.

It specifically notes the Wings scouts have known him a while. I suppose it's entirely possible he either wanted to play specifically with the Wings or would otherwise be happier in the KHL. He would've grown up watching the R5 and later Datsyuk, so... who knows.
If some bored artist wants to make me a signature, feel free to cut loose and do so.

Of course, I could get off my lame rear and do something.

#8 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 03:38 PM

It specifically notes the Wings scouts have known him a while. I suppose it's entirely possible he either wanted to play specifically with the Wings or would otherwise be happier in the KHL. He would've grown up watching the R5 and later Datsyuk, so... who knows.

He was 4 in '97, the last year of the R5 :)
Red Kelly #4 and Larry Aurie #6 belong in the rafters!!!

"For my game, I don't need to score the goal," Konstantinov once explained. "I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals."

#9 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 06:36 PM

I can't believe how no one is talking about Ouellet. You'll see him be top 5 in defensemen scoring next season easily in the CHL.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#10 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 07:15 PM

I like that Hudon pick but going to an Ivy league school is a little odd for a player that compares himself to Lucic. Hopefully he doesnt stay long and he can groom his game in the AHL. He was a highly rated prospect going into the Q but he chose to go to NCAA.

It just seems odd that you cant get any info on the guy

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#11 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 07:55 PM

I like that Hudon pick but going to an Ivy league school is a little odd for a player that compares himself to Lucic. Hopefully he doesnt stay long and he can groom his game in the AHL. He was a highly rated prospect going into the Q but he chose to go to NCAA.

It just seems odd that you cant get any info on the guy

At least it's one of the better hockey colleges. I just hope the NCAA doesn't take away his hitting like it did Sheahan.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#12 F2B&G

F2B&G

Rookie

• Pip
  • 144 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 08:00 PM

Cornell plays a grind-it-out, trap-happy style of hockey that is frequently bitched about and maligned by their rivals. His hitting game shouldn't suffer there.

#13 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 09:19 PM

At least it's one of the better hockey colleges. I just hope the NCAA doesn't take away his hitting like it did Sheahan.

Ya if these 2 were to play in major junior they would be running kids their age over all the time but hitting 23 or 24 year olds is alittle tougher. Maybe playing physical against more developed players and the workout routines they are given will help their physical games in the long run.

I just hope neither of them stay very long, it seems tougher to develop an offensive game for more borderline prospects in the NCAA.

I wonder what will happen with Cayer actually. He has shown 0 offense at Clarkson really but is one of the best skating prospects, is 6'4 and plays a crash and bang style of play wreaking havoc on other teams defenses. May get a contract just to help deal with the physical game in GR for the more high profile prospects. I wonder if he could be a good 4th liner in the NHL even though he doesnt score a tonne

Ya if these 2 were to play in major junior they would be running kids their age over all the time but hitting 23 or 24 year olds is alittle tougher. Maybe playing physical against more developed players and the workout routines they are given will help their physical games in the long run.

I just hope neither of them stay very long, it seems tougher to develop an offensive game for more borderline prospects in the NCAA.

I wonder what will happen with Cayer actually. He has shown 0 offense at Clarkson really but is one of the best skating prospects, is 6'4 and plays a crash and bang style of play wreaking havoc on other teams defenses. May get a contract just to help deal with the physical game in GR for the more high profile prospects. I wonder if he could be a good 4th liner in the NHL even though he doesnt score a tonne

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#14 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 09:27 PM

Agreed, they'd put up sexy numbers, be fighting a lot, and delivering youtube worthy hits, but since LGW doesn't see that, they are going to be labeled busts.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank

#15 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 05:02 PM

Agreed, they'd put up sexy numbers, be fighting a lot, and delivering youtube worthy hits, but since LGW doesn't see that, they are going to be labeled busts.

Yup its sad because its true, if it isnt on youtube than its a bust. I do wish Sheahan woulda went to junior though and got traded to London or something

RIP BOB PROBERT #24