• Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic

#81 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 11:54 AM

The Panthers just want to show their fans that they're committed to winning a Cup, and are willing to spend the money it takes.

Good signing. :thumbup:

Didn't think I'd use this twice in the same thread... but only seems fitting...

Posted Image

Edited by stevkrause, 29 June 2011 - 11:55 AM.

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#82 achildr1

achildr1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 12:02 PM

Hilarious. These kind of signings are why Chicago couldn't hold on to half their team after winning the Cup. What if Florida made a surprise run in three years with the ton of talent they've accumulated in the last couple drafts? It would probably be Chicago all over again.

Edited by achildr1, 29 June 2011 - 12:05 PM.

#83 Off the Post

Off the Post

Rookie

• Pip
  • 136 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 12:52 PM

Panthers sign Kopecky to four-year contract

The Florida Panthers on Wednesday announced that two-time Stanley Cup-winning forward Tomas Kopecky has signed a four-year contract worth a reported $3 million per season.

http://www.nhl.com/i...od-rr-headlines

Edited by Off the Post, 29 June 2011 - 12:53 PM.

#84 CaliWingsNut

CaliWingsNut

PeeWee Bettman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 12:55 PM

Panthers sign Kopecky to four-year contract

The Florida Panthers on Wednesday announced that two-time Stanley Cup-winning forward Tomas Kopecky has signed a four-year contract worth a reported $3 million per season.

http://www.nhl.com/i...od-rr-headlines

OMG it's not just 3mil, but 3mil for FOUR years?

Figures don't lie, but liars sure figure. - Mark Twain

#85 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,212 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 12:57 PM

The funny thing is as much as everyone here likes to rip him he actually had a good year last season. Put can claim his numbers are inflated and that very well may be true. But the fact is in all the Hawks games I saw he was an effective player. Provided the money isn't outrageous he can be a useful player.

Although seeing what Florida is doing they probably just gave him a 4 year, $16M deal or something absurd.

I watched nearly every Hawks game last year. And his "good season" came only because he had first PP time with Toews and Hossa for the majority of the season. If you go back and watch his goals, its amazing how many of them went in after pinballing off several legs, or some insane goalie fart.

I would feel safe in betting that he never even comes close to the numbers of last season ever again in his career.

At 3 million for 4 years, this is one of the absolute worst signings I have seen in a long time considering he is a 4th line player at best. Even for someone with Tallon's record, why the hell would you Lebda this guy?
Posted Image

#86 MGreenberg

MGreenberg

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 01:00 PM

Lol, good job Panthers. Kind of felt bad for a minute or two for Kopecky that he is going from a decent team in Chicago to an awful team in Florida but then I just had to laugh about it.

#87 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,024 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 01:03 PM

Hahahaha. That is all :ph34r:

#NOMOREKINDL

#88 Off the Post

Off the Post

Rookie

• Pip
  • 136 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 01:07 PM

I want a crack at being a GM seriously..

#89 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,212 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 01:14 PM

I'm thinking I might show up to Panthers training camp this year. If Kopecky is worth 3mil, then I'm worth at LEAST a 2-way minimum level contract, right?

Git r dun, Dale.
Posted Image

#90 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 01:16 PM

There is much laughing at Kopecky's contract, and yet...

Kopecky's deal is notably better than Valtteri Filppula's contract was at the time it was signed. Filppula's deal would be around $4.4m if it were signed this year. He played around 40% of his time with Datsyuk in Datsyuk's best offensive year. Outside of Datsyuk's intrusion, his linemates varied between Cleary, Hudler, Homer. Samuelsson, and Franzen. Flip was, at the time, worse defensively than Kopy is now and relied more heavily on his linemates for offense.

I would probably only have gone maybe to $2.5, but $3 is reasonable given his versatility and production. Realize this; he'd probably get more in arbitration.

"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#91 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 01:17 PM

I'm thinking I might show up to Panthers training camp this year. If Kopecky is worth 3mil, then I'm worth at LEAST a 2-way minimum level contract, right?

Git r dun, Dale.

probably not a bad idea... I'm an almost 30, 5'9" grinder with bad knees... but there's a good market for that, right?

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#92 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,212 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 01:19 PM

probably not a bad idea... I'm an almost 30, 5'9" grinder with bad knees... but there's a good market for that, right?

Yeah... I bring good size. Muscle weighs more than fat, right?
Posted Image

#93 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,605 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 02:00 PM

He didn't get "Hossa Money"? Interesting.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#94 under_par_00

under_par_00

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 02:29 PM

Kopecky's deal is notably better than Valtteri Filppula's contract was at the time it was signed. Filppula's deal would be around $4.4m if it were signed this year. He played around 40% of his time with Datsyuk in Datsyuk's best offensive year. Outside of Datsyuk's intrusion, his linemates varied between Cleary, Hudler, Homer. Samuelsson, and Franzen. Flip was, at the time, worse defensively than Kopy is now and relied more heavily on his linemates for offense.

I would probably only have gone maybe to $2.5, but $3 is reasonable given his versatility and production. Realize this; he'd probably get more in arbitration.

Kopecky is 29 when he signed this deal with

Filppula was 24 or 25 when he signed. Im not exactly sure, you can do the math.

Oh, and I forgot, LOL.

#95 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

This is the TBL forum, right?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,025 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 02:58 PM

Flip was, at the time, worse defensively than Kopy is now and relied more heavily on his linemates for offense.[/font]

I'll just let this link speak for itself...

http://www.dobberhoc...nations&sent=go

You'd save a lot more effort, Eva, if you just put "Filppula sucks, Hudler is god" in your signature

Just cause you look like the gimp don't mean you play like the gimp!

#96 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,646 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 04:03 PM

Considering you'd probably pay $5 million for Hudler, I'm not surprised.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#97 wingslogo19

wingslogo19

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,234 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 04:38 PM

I still got a chance to crack the NHL :P
IPB Image

#98 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 04:41 PM

You'd save a lot more effort, Eva, if you just put "Filppula sucks, Hudler is god" in your signature

http://www.dobberhockey.com/frozenpool_linecombo.php?selForward=DETFILPPULA%2CVALTTERI&period=ALL&situation=EV&games=2007-2008%3AR%3A99&Submit=Show+Line+Combinations&sent=go

Point out exactly how what I said was wrong? Kopecky's linemate combinations, even with decent time spent with Hossa and Sharp, were less talented and less productive than Filppula's. Yes, Kopy is older than Flip was, but he's not so old the he will be washed up and retired at the end of his deal.

Yes of course, because I think he's a good player and am the LGW-anointed "World's Biggest Fan" I'd give him that. Sure. Why not. Dan Carcillo is a UFA, I bet you'd love to go out and sign him to a $3m deal.

"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#99 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 05:55 PM

Kopecky at 3mil a season really isn't that bad of a deal. He has a couple rings and is a big body and can put up points and is above average defensively. I still laugh every time I see his name and think of how terrible he is/was, though. he's the product of playing with Hossa and Sharp, but he can easily be a good player on a 3rd line and he's going to get a buttload of time on the Jacksonville Jaguars this season.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#100 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 06:02 PM

Oh yes, that $500K is breaking the bank for the Jaguars... I mean, Panthers, I mean... Devi.. I mean, Ra... oh wait...

Might as well. Where we agree Eva. We disagree. Love ya, bro!

Really? ...wouldn't you pay $2.5 for an enforcer GMR. LOVE YA, BRO!

Kopecky at 3mil a season really isn't that bad of a deal. He has a couple rings and is a big body and can put up points and is above average defensively. I still laugh every time I see his name and think of how terrible he is/was, though. he's the product of playing with Hossa and Sharp, but he can easily be a good player on a 3rd line and he's going to get a buttload of time on the Jacksonville Jaguars this season.

Exactly.
(AtomicPunk @ February 4, 2010 - 12:16AM)

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.