• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
shaeb30

Lets think COMPLETELY outside of the box for one minute...

Rate this topic

Ok... according to capgeek.com, the Wings have a little more than $16 million to play with right now, and we don't exactly know for sure who the D man Kenny is going to sign will be. Lets say just for argument sake that Stamkos and the Lightning are unable to come to an agreement, and he is sitting out there for the taking come July 1. Would he be worth the $10-11 million a year plus the draft picks it would take to bring him to the D?

http://capgeek.com/cap_calculator/index.php?teamId=15

The roster capgeek.com has for us right now is minus Jonathan Ericsson too.. but i don't think he will make any more than $1 million.

for what its worth... Eklund is saying he will get between $10-11 million from the Bolts... I wasn't really saying this was something I saw working... just throwing the idea out there. How cool would it be though....

Guest CaliWingsNut

I'd rather try to trade for Hedman... but I doubt that happens either.

First of all Ericsson will sign for 2-2.25 mill, not 1 mill. Secondly, We still have to sign Eaves, Miller, and a back up goalie. Lastly, We need to sign at least one top 4 defensemen. Where is this 10 mill coming from? NEVER GONNA HAPPEN

This. If holland can't land burns no way does he make stamkos work.... Unless he's god

First of all Ericsson will sign for 2-2.25 mill, not 1 mill. Secondly, We still have to sign Eaves, Miller, and a back up goalie. Lastly, We need to sign at least one top 4 defensemen. Where is this 10 mill coming from? NEVER GONNA HAPPEN

Ericsson at 2-2.25 mil? We have some problems on our hands. Stamkos will never wear the Winged Wheel, can we get these fantasies out of our minds? I heard Dan Bylsma tweeted he was giving Sid and Malkin away to Detroit for 3 mil/yr each! Message me when we're done with this dream.

Ericsson at 2-2.25 mil? We have some problems on our hands. Stamkos will never wear the Winged Wheel, can we get these fantasies out of our minds? I heard Dan Bylsma tweeted he was giving Sid and Malkin away to Detroit for 3 mil/yr each! Message me when we're done with this dream.

Well assuming that ericsson already turned down a 2 million dollar deal i'm assuming that Ericsson agent is either negotiating slighty more or more years. Thus, I assume it will be slightly more than 2 mill.

This isn't pro wrestling. :D

Yzerman isn't going to lay down for Holland in some wonderful conspiracy like fashion.

Why would he trade the future of his franchise after they just had a magical season and were within a game of the Finals?

Edited by GMRwings1983

Defense is the most glaring need this team has at the moment, so I highly doubt Kenny would be willing to forsake that need on the off chance of signing Stamkos.

The roster capgeek.com has for us right now is minus Jonathan Ericsson too.. but i don't think he will make any more than $1 million.

Big E was making $1.25 this most recent season (cap hit of $900k, as it was a staggered salary). So he's now expected to sign for less than last year? All the news reports are saying that E's new deal will be around/above $2 mil per year.

Defense is the most glaring need this team has at the moment, so I highly doubt Kenny would be willing to forsake that need on the off chance of signing Stamkos.

Exactly, if Holland was going to throw $10M at one player he wants, he would throw it at Weber...

I wonder, what's with this artificial cap that no one can be paid more than Lidstrom/Datsyuk? I understand the sentimentality, but how is it smart to limit yourself to a contract signed years ago that was a steal?

I wonder, what's with this artificial cap that no one can be paid more than Lidstrom/Datsyuk? I understand the sentimentality, but how is it smart to limit yourself to a contract signed years ago that was a steal?

lids was signed this year.... and ya, the cap went up, so what? so we start tossing around contracts 5mill more than before for 1 player? you have to consider that EVERYONE's stock rises in this case. you will have to resign lesser players at a higher price so you can't throw all that extra cap at one player without losing guys.

EDIT: look at bieksas contract for example.

Edited by dirtydangles

holland will spread the money around and try to build the most balanced team that he can work with.

the bruins figured it out....the rangers and maple leafs cant.

i would think we can rise above the "spenders"

balance the power & chemistry.

I know people are quick to shoot you down - because thats what this board likes to do, but I've actually heard this being discussed as a real possibility.

Here are a couple of reasons why:

1, No one is saying that Yzerman will just GIVE us Stamkos. But, you can't deny that if Yzerman was forced to deal a hand - Detroit would probably be the first one he would call. Just look at Tallon in Florida and tell me that GM's don't enjoy the luxury of dealing with who they know the best. People are saying that Stamkos might be unsignable just because of the other contracts Tampa Bay has, or will need to have in the near future. As well, signing Stamkos may make the rest of the cupboard bare, and I don't believe Yzerman is willing to do that. So - getting something in return as oppose to losing him in Free Agency is a real option.

2, Everyone knows that Detroit will be a player in the FA pool this offseason. The thing is, I'm not convinced it will be for Dmen. Even though Holland said he wasn't even close to pulling a deal during the draft, he isn't stupid. He will only pay so much for Wisniewski. The Red Wings NEVER sell the barn for anyone, especially someone who could just be this seasons flavor of the week. Markov and Bieska are arleady gone, the weaker FA pool is getting even weaker now. What I think might be more of a possibility is getting a top 4 Dman through trade and then signing Ed Jovanoski (very Red Wing type FA and you all know it).

I think any forward not named Pavel or Henrik is on the trading block at this point. Even if we deal Filpulla, or Franzen, or Cleary - those guys are much easier to replace at this point.

I think we deal a forward for a Dman, and then replace that lost firepower with someone like Richards or (SHOCK!) Jagr. I think if Jagr signs its almost a certainty we are trading away a forward. IF...the opportunity comes that Stamkos is attainable, we might very well go that route instead of this FA pool to replace that lost firepower.

I think we need to revamp our "big 3". Franzen (who I love, mind you) is kind of like a poor man's goal scorer. Datsyuk and Zetterberg are very complete players, but as great as they are they don't have it in them to win a scoring title. The Red Wings have been missing that kind of player for some time now.

Now, the odds of this happening are slim - but so is any scenario (no one wouldve thought Carter and Richards would have happened). But I think that in the board room, there has been or at least will be a mention of it. If you guys don't think our Execs are exploring every avenue right now, then you don't know Red Wings hockey. You're talking about a team that traded for Chris Chelios for crying out loud! If you aren't old enough to know, that is the equivalent of signing Claude Lemieux.

wait why would the Lightning not give their franchise player a lifelong term? These threads are getting a bit ridiculous. But hey what do I know, according to some folks on LGW we had a legit shot at Shea Weber :rolleyes:

You forget, a player will actually have to SIGN the offer for it to actually work......I mean, Fedorov once walked, remember?

Not only that, but they got some expensive guys on the books. Lecavalier is at a 7.7 cap hit! And they will want to plan on signing Hedman soon as well.

Edited by martyrme19