• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Aussie_Wing

Ryan Sproul

Rate this topic

Anyone else pumped at landing this guy in the second round? We needed to stock up on defenceman, and with Sproul we got a big, smooth skating, right handed shooting defenceman with a cannon of a shot.

RWC's article:

Skys the limit for hard-shooting Sproul

It took Ryan Sproul 17 games to register his first point in the Ontario Hockey League, but once he broke the goose-egg, the floodgates came flying open.

The biggest thing with him was his development from the start of the year to the end of the year, McDonnell said. Hes got the big booming shot from the point hes still weak as a noodle but we see some good signs.

The skys the limit, once he fills out, McDonnell said. He has a lot of work to do but he has high upside.

Love his YouTube video, shows off that wicked shot. He's probably my favourite pick of the draft, I'm so keen to monitor his progress over the years, hopefully he just continues to develop as a player.

Edited by Aussie_Wing

10 goals second half of the season only second to Ryan Ellis with 12 in the OHL. He didnt even play OHL hockey last year and has grown 4 inches in the last year which kind of explains why he is so weak for his body.

He has great wheels for a big man, a booming shot and I'm sure once he fills out he'll learn to use that frame a bit. Sounds like the wings may have picked up a Brent Burns in the second round.

He seems kind of like Callahan in a sense that as soon as he made it to the major juniors he just took off on a rapid development pace. If he continues his second half from last year, count on this guy playing on the world jnuior team

I had fun with the kid on Twitter, telling him straight that he needs to stop looking so much at being the next Mike Green and work on the defensive end of the game. He took it very maturely and said of course he needs a bit more Lidstrom in his game. I was impressed.

Honestly, I do not think we need a defensive liability who gets out of position in order to get some offense. I know that the team won't let him develop into that. Good future.

I am so excited for all the prospects.

What’s not to like about this guy? Huge, skates very well, long reach, great offensive instincts and a very good attitude. He’s 18, so give him 4 or so years to get stronger, make his game more well-rounded and hopefully we’ve got a very good NHL defenseman. He’s got the attributes you can’t teach, but his weaknesses can, that’s what excites me.

Next Brent BUrns? He has the shot, size etc. Apparently he plays a bit physical but once he fills out he should be a good physical player. Hes grown 4 inches in about a year

He does play EXACTLY like Mike Green. I mean, mirror image stuff. I am surprised he doesn't have the mohawk too.

I am hoping he avoids that fate though, because I do think Mike Green is a huge reason why the Caps don't get further than they do in the playoffs.

Sproul Shines in Traverse City

Ryan Sproul has set the bar high with his strong performance at the NHL prospects tournament in Traverse City, MI. His big game ability was a key reason for the Red Wings strong finish on Wednesday night. The 6-foot-3, 176 pound defenseman potted two goals and assist to lead Detroit to a 4-1 win over the Carolina Hurricanes earning the team a seventh place finish.

“For me personally it’s been a pretty good tournament,” Sproul said. “Obviously for the team it was been tough after losing the first few games, but we turned it around.”

Sproul finished the tournament second behind Gustav Nyquist in team scoring with three goals and four points. The 55th overall pick in this years draft tied for third in scoring among tournament defensemen.

“He scored two big goals for us tonight,” teammate Trevor Parkes said. “He’s a real good player who has a big body and a big shot. If he grows into his body he’ll be an outstanding defenseman for the Red Wings.”

Love this kid! :thumbup:

Yep, although he lost the fight, he handled himself pretty well, encouraging to see.

Love this guy's upside. Another 2 years in the OHL, then to the AHL, then hopefully he's matured his game and body enough to be a Wing. :thumbup:

Like most Red Wing prospects, except for Oullet and marchenko, he just needs to round out his defensive game and he'll be a legit top 4 DMan.

As I said before, he'll be right up there for defender of the year.

I think he has an outside shot at the WJ team for Canada, if not this year than I think next year is pretty likely that he'll make it

I think he has an outside shot at the WJ team for Canada, if not this year than I think next year is pretty likely that he'll make it

He's an offensive dynamo, and now it seems he's added snarl to his repertoire. I think he should make it this year, him and Xavier both.