• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#21 Aussie_Wing

Aussie_Wing

Mursak

• Bronze Booster
  • 8,550 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 04:51 AM

Goal and an assist for Sproul last night. So in 10 games this season he has 2+7=9, to go with a +4 rating. Couldn't be happier about drafting this guy, I think he's going to great for us.

Ken Holland: Hes (Mursak) a young guy, provides energy, can skate, hes a puck hound.

#22 Aussie_Wing

Aussie_Wing

Mursak

• Bronze Booster
  • 8,550 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 10:20 PM

GWG for Sproul tonight, to go with a very impressive +4, which puts him at a team best +17 for the season.

Ken Holland: Hes (Mursak) a young guy, provides energy, can skate, hes a puck hound.

#23 Aussie_Wing

Aussie_Wing

Mursak

• Bronze Booster
  • 8,550 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 09:42 PM

Ryan Sproul tonight:

Goal, 2 assists, +4.

#24 Casey

Casey

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 12:15 PM

Looks like Sproul is going to be out a while.

Broken jaw, needs surgery.

He'd been having a great season, too- 26 points in 37 games, +17.
Posted Image
Ceterum autem censeo, Hudler esse delendam.

#25 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 05:40 PM

Looks like Sproul is going to be out a while.

Broken jaw, needs surgery.

He'd been having a great season, too- 26 points in 37 games, +17.

:ranting:

f*** that... Man he was doing so well...

#26 Aussie_Wing

Aussie_Wing

Mursak

• Bronze Booster
  • 8,550 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 07:35 PM

That sucks! <_< At least it's 'only' a broken jaw, and not a broken leg or something, but still...

#27 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 05:56 AM

Sproul proving himself a go-to guy, with qualities to be captain
http://www.saultstar....aspx?e=3488761

With their playoff hopes hanging by a ragged thread, with a regular season of underachieving now into its final few weeks, with a city full of fans advocating capital punishment for the coach and/or general manager, and with a chance to prove their doubters wrong by actually playing beyond March 18, the absolute last thing the Soo Greyhounds want to do is think about next season.

Ah, but that doesn't stop curious reporters from taking a little peak ahead to the 2012-2013 campaign.

So, at a time when the ride is choppy, storms continue to whip around and the shore is still not in sight, permit me to help point the Hounds in the right direction.

I believe I've located this club's next captain.

And it can be no one other than defenceman Ryan Sproul.

Hey, no need to thank me.

I live to serve.

Seriously, it doesn't matter whether you're talking about a hockey team or a business: Your most-talented people must also be your hardest-working and most-committed.

Only then does true leadership emerge.

And from this vantage point, Sproul, a 19-year-old (1993 birth year) native of Mississauga, possesses the qualities needed to help lead this downtrodden franchise back to respectability.

Remember when he suffered a fractured jaw Dec. 28 against Sarnia here?

Who could forget it?

Despite undergoing surgery the following day, despite being unable to eat solid food, despite the pain he was still in, Sproul returned to town to be with his teammates in time for a Jan. 6 game against visiting Windsor.

Imagine that?

Bucking all odds, the six-foot-four, 190-pounder wound up missing just seven games.

Good thing, too.

That's because the Hounds wound up going 1-6-0-0 in Sproul's absence.

A second-round pick of the Detroit Red Wings in the 2011 NHL Entry Draft, Sproul was scoreless while playing very sparingly in his first two games back.

But beginning Jan. 22 in Windsor, Sproul has taken off.

He has eight goals and 11 assists in his last 15 games.

In other words, with the Greyhounds season on the line, when his team absolutely needs him most, Sproul has done all he can to help produce victories.

And when the Hounds don't win especially when their focus is lacking and their play is lousy Sproul is the first guy to step forward, while publicly challenging himself and his teammates to do more.

For the season, Sproul has now notched 18 goals and 27 assists. He's also a plus-14 in 54 games.

That's tied for fourth best among all OHL defencemen.

When told of his recent hot streak, Sproul seemed surprised and spoke of how his numbers are the least of his concerns at this point.

"I don't worry too much about that stuff," he said. "Whatever contribution I'm making is to help our team win."

When asked about the possibility of one day being the captain of this team, Sproul said he doesn't think about it.

"But part of my game is to bring leadership," he admitted. "Anybody would be honoured to be captain and that's something I would look forward to in the future."

For now, however, his focus is on seven regular season games.

Peterborough is here tonight and victories, for the Hounds, remain as precious as cold water in a desert.

Which makes you wonder where this club might be with a few more like Ryan Sproul?

#28 Aussie_Wing

Aussie_Wing

Mursak

• Bronze Booster
  • 8,550 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 04:19 AM

Goal and 2 assists for Sproul tonight.

2010/11: 61 games, 14G, 19A (33 points), -15, 36 PIM
2011/12: 57 games, 19G, 30A (49 points), +16, 51 PIM.

He's having a tremendous season. :thumbup:

#29 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 11:02 AM

I already have Sproul in the untradeable catagory. He just physically is something needed on the Wings and somethign that is rare enough to be given extra chances in development. So far he doesn't even need the extra chances.

I will be keeping an eye on him. With the uncertainty of the future at D, he could be in GR next year.
"It is a lot easier to be an ******* to words than to people"-xkcd

Tootoo does NOT belong on this team. He is classless and I would rather see the Wings be bad than classless. I feel the same way about Bertuzzi as well, but he at least CAN make the team better. With Tootoo the team becomes worse and in danger of being classless. Would you have liked Claude on the team? Or Roy? No. So why would you be okay with that POS.

This thread has been closed due to emotions being higher than people's ability to read, interpret, and properly respond to simple posts.

#30 FlashyG

FlashyG

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:35 AM

Sproul is having a ridiculously good season this year.

36 GP - 18G - 34A - 52P

He leads the OHL in scoring by a defenceman despite playing in almost 20 fewer games than the guy in 2nd place.

He's already 6'4 and 200lbs at 20 years old...I can't wait to see how he does with the Griffins/Wings.

#31 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:08 AM

Sproul is having a ridiculously good season this year.

36 GP - 18G - 34A - 52P

He leads the OHL in scoring by a defenceman despite playing in almost 20 fewer games than the guy in 2nd place.

He's already 6'4 and 200lbs at 20 years old...I can't wait to see how he does with the Griffins/Wings.

That will be the test. History is filled with great junior players that fail in the pro's. I hope he makes it. We sure can use a big RH shooting Dman with some offensive skill.

#32 FlashyG

FlashyG

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:59 PM

That will be the test. History is filled with great junior players that fail in the pro's. I hope he makes it. We sure can use a big RH shooting Dman with some offensive skill.

I think the odds are definitely in his favor. Lots of great Junior players fail at the pro level, but not many who put up those kind of numbers do.

His numbers are better than Staal or Doughty's and trail only Ryan Ellis' who has turned into a fine defenceman for the Predators.

I don't think there is much question about whether he'll be an NHL defenceman, the question is whether he'll be a #1 defenceman or the kind of guy who logs minutes on a 2nd or 3rd pairing. Either way I think we'll see him on the Wings blueline within the next couple of years. 

#33 Danielsm

Danielsm

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:53 AM

I think the odds are definitely in his favor. Lots of great Junior players fail at the pro level, but not many who put up those kind of numbers do.

His numbers are better than Staal or Doughty's and trail only Ryan Ellis' who has turned into a fine defenceman for the Predators.

I don't think there is much question about whether he'll be an NHL defenceman, the question is whether he'll be a #1 defenceman or the kind of guy who logs minutes on a 2nd or 3rd pairing. Either way I think we'll see him on the Wings blueline within the next couple of years. 

He'll be big on the pp.

#34 FlashyG

FlashyG

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:16 PM

Another game another 4 assists for Sproul

#35 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 12:10 AM

I would like to see him working with Lashoff in  a year or 2.Lashoff is a big LH shooting stay at home D and Sproul is the RH shooting offensive Dman. Should be a great pair. We hope!

#36 FlashyG

FlashyG

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 12:43 AM

Lashoff is not that good of a defenceman. I'd much rather Sproul play with someone like Ericsson who is far more defensively sound.

Although I think Lashoff will finish this year with Grand Rapids, and if the Soo get eliminated early in the OHL playoffs maybe they can develop some chemistry in the AHL playoffs.

#37 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:26 PM

Lashoff is not that good of a defenceman. I'd much rather Sproul play with someone like Ericsson who is far more defensively sound.

Although I think Lashoff will finish this year with Grand Rapids, and if the Soo get eliminated early in the OHL playoffs maybe they can develop some chemistry in the AHL playoffs.

Not sure if E is going to be here much longer. He is a UFA after next season and is already making more than he should. The market might push him into the 4.5 to 5 million range, and I don't think he is worth that much. Not to mention he could also be a trade piece. one of the few we have that can bring some quality back. If dekeyser signs this spring, thne we may-key word there, may not need E anymore. With Kronwall, Smith, Lashoff, kindl, and dekeyser, that is 5 LH shots. Sproul and the russian (name escapes me atm) coming as RH shots, E could be moved. Saves us some money to upgrade the forward group.

#38 Andy Pred 48

Andy Pred 48

Coming soon,"the slovak line" Marek and 2 Toms!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:42 PM

Alexei Marchenko is the name your looking for and hell be a better late steal the Big E

"What are you guys doing?" Reggie Dunlop
"Putting on the foil coach" Jeff Hanson
"Yeah, every game, you want some coach?" Steve Hanson
"Er, no. No thanks guys." Reggie Dunlop
"Make sure they don't leave the bench!" Reggie Dunlop.

#39 FlashyG

FlashyG

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:49 PM

Not sure if E is going to be here much longer. He is a UFA after next season and is already making more than he should. The market might push him into the 4.5 to 5 million range, and I don't think he is worth that much. Not to mention he could also be a trade piece. one of the few we have that can bring some quality back. If dekeyser signs this spring, thne we may-key word there, may not need E anymore. With Kronwall, Smith, Lashoff, kindl, and dekeyser, that is 5 LH shots. Sproul and the russian (name escapes me atm) coming as RH shots, E could be moved. Saves us some money to upgrade the forward group.

I wouldn't want to move E unless its for a big overpayment.

I think E is our most valuable defenceman right now. I hope Sproul makes some of our defence expendable, but I'd happily use some of Colaiacovo's money to give E a raise. I highly doubt we'll keep Colaiacovo anyways and his 2.5 mil a season contract ends at the same time as Ericssons.

#40 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:48 PM

I wouldn't want to move E unless its for a big overpayment.

I think E is our most valuable defenceman right now. I hope Sproul makes some of our defence expendable, but I'd happily use some of Colaiacovo's money to give E a raise. I highly doubt we'll keep Colaiacovo anyways and his 2.5 mil a season contract ends at the same time as Ericssons.

True. But oif we want to make any trades to improve, we have to give up something. We do have a nice stable of young Dmen. They need time and minutes. Forward, not so much. We need talent. Some big (size) talent to be specific.