• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#21 SwedeLundin77

SwedeLundin77

Over the Line!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 01:42 PM

Also I doubt he would make it to us in a re-entry situation.

Well do waiver rules apply in the off-season or is it first come? I would think Holland would at least try to pick him up at a 1.5 million hit. It will all boil down to whether or not we can obtain Ehrhoff, Wizniewski, or Pitkanen...

#22 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 01:42 PM

I don't disagree. I just am talking practically now. He might be the only way to improve the Defensive corp and get younger this season.

Correct me if I am wrong, but there is no re-entry process with buy-outs, is there?

I didn't think so either, but Bob McKenzie's twitter post made me think otherwise...

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#23 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,333 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 02:15 PM

If we take him on re-entry, what would our cap hit be, and what would we be giving up?

We wouldn't give up anything, his cap hit would be 1.5mil for this upcoming season.

I don't disagree. I just am talking practically now. He might be the only way to improve the Defensive corp and get younger this season.
Correct me if I am wrong, but there is no re-entry process with buy-outs, is there?

If they are able to buy him out, he wouldn't be on their team any longer and there would be no need to re-entry waive him. If they waive him and no one bites then they either buy him out, which it sounds like they can't do, or they can put him on re-entry waivers and see if anyone will bite on him then.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#24 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 02:18 PM

We wouldn't give up anything, his cap hit would be 1.5mil for this upcoming season.

If they are able to buy him out, he wouldn't be on their team any longer and there would be no need to re-entry waive him. If they waive him and no one bites then they either buy him out, which it sounds like they can't do, or they can put him on re-entry waivers and see if anyone will bite on him then.

Regardless of how he ends up here, via re-entry waivers or FA, if the tag is about 1.5m, I'd take that flier in a heartbeat... it's just when the price tag goes higher that I have hesitations...

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

#25 MacK_Attack

MacK_Attack

Old School

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,678 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 02:44 PM

There is no re-entry waivers during the off-season. Have to be able to assign a player to the AHL (and he has to report) in order to place him on re-entry waivers and you can't do that until training camp.

#26 mmamolo

mmamolo

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 03:09 PM

If you check out Bob Mckenzie's twitter he's posted a link that better explains the waiver process for Barker. Since he's an RFA the article explains that there is a second round of waivers he'll have to be exposed to if he isn't claimed by 11am tomorrow. Then the Wild would potentially buy him out at 1/3 the cost as opposed to the normal 2/3. He's be scheduled to collect just over $1M from the buyout so if he wants to break even for the year's salary he'd look for $2M. But that doesnt meant he'd get it.

I'm too lazy to get the link but it's there
Posted Imagewww.unsportsmanlike.ca

#27 Heaten

Heaten

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 03:55 PM

Surprised anyone on LGWs would even consider him when we already had one of these guys (who was better defensively and more physical) last year in Ericsson.

If Cam is worth $2mil, Ericsson is worth $4.5...

No thanks! Just save the headaches and drama and play Kindl/Smith.

#28 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,264 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 05:34 PM

$3,083,333 is too much? I think if he gets bought out in this market he could get MORE money.

I say take him for this salary.

To please LGW, he is only 25 years old. Ht: 6-3 Wt: 215

ASSETS: Possesses a hard, accurate shot from the point, which is especially effective on the power play. Can play a physical brand of hockey.

FLAWS: Must improve his decision-making and defensive-zone coverage in order to become a complete blue-liner. Needs more game-to-game consistency.

CAREER POTENTIAL: Mobile defenseman with all-around upside.

Remember, Ericcson is going to get 2.7... This might be a deal at 3.

Well I have to agree with you... Cleary was problematic/finished type of player and turn out to be great pick up for Detroit. Barker has potential and he's young, playing with Lids or Kronwall will just help.

Hudler for Barker? :)
"Some guys dream about scoring goals, or making big saves... I swear to God I dream about kicking ass in a hockey fight - no other way to say it than I love to do it, its who I am"... Brian McGrattan

#29 Datsyerberger

Datsyerberger

"Dat's yer burger, Hank."

• HoF Booster
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 06:17 PM

Would take on reentry, not at standard price tag.
If some bored artist wants to make me a signature, feel free to cut loose and do so.

Of course, I could get off my lame rear and do something.

#30 MacK_Attack

MacK_Attack

Old School

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,678 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 11:08 AM

Barker cleared waivers, but apparently the Wild will not be buying him out.

#31 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 11:17 AM

Barker cleared waivers, but apparently the Wild will not be buying him out.

That's odd... if they're just looking to unload his contract, why don't they package him with a pick and/or prospect and send him to Florida? They like old Blackhawks with big contracts...

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

#32 xtrememachine1

xtrememachine1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,433 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 11:20 AM

That's odd... if they're just looking to unload his contract, why don't they package him with a pick and/or prospect and send him to Florida? They like old Blackhawks with big contracts...

Because apparently Tallon is only interested in taking on big contracts that help his old team clear cap space. Huet's next. In a few years, it'll be Hossa.

#33 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 11:26 AM

Because apparently Tallon is only interested in taking on big contracts that help his old team clear cap space. Huet's next. In a few years, it'll be Hossa.

He should trade for Havlat and Barker in a package, put the band back together! :ph34r:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

#34 Jusek

Jusek

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 01:39 PM

What happened to him? I thought he was a good prospect and good offensive d-man, but now he can't even produce points.
"I consider the Detroit Red Wings one of the greatest franchises in any sport. For a player to come in and play, it's so special to wear the jersey."
-Steve Yzerman

#35 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 01:42 PM

So he cleared waivers. Now what does that mean? I'm horrible with these things.

cc_champs-5_zps34057ff0.png

#36 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 01:45 PM

What happened to him? I thought he was a good prospect and good offensive d-man, but now he can't even produce points.

I honestly just think his confidence is shaken... given the right system and stability and I think he could turn it around... he's still got a very good shot and is a very hard hitter, just needs to work on his positioning and decision making a little... it probably didn't help either that Chicago rushed him to the NHL...

So he cleared waivers. Now what does that mean? I'm horrible with these things.

they can now buy him out, or assign him to their AHL affiliate...

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

#37 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 01:46 PM

I honestly just think his confidence is shaken... given the right system and stability and I think he could turn it around... he's still got a very good shot and is a very hard hitter, just needs to work on his positioning and decision making a little... it probably didn't help either that Chicago rushed him to the NHL...

they can now buy him out, or assign him to their AHL affiliate...

I read that they have no plans to buy him out, so if that's the case - whoever claims him is on the hook for the entirety of his contract. Correct?

cc_champs-5_zps34057ff0.png

#38 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 02:00 PM

I read that they have no plans to buy him out, so if that's the case - whoever claims him is on the hook for the entirety of his contract. Correct?

He already cleared, so the chance to claim him has passed... if they sent him back through waivers, then it would be 1/2 his salary, but that can't be for several days... if they send him to the AHL, then they essentially can't bring him back up without exposing him...

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

#39 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 02:16 PM

There is no re-entry waivers during the off-season. Have to be able to assign a player to the AHL (and he has to report) in order to place him on re-entry waivers and you can't do that until training camp.

Besides, re-entry would cost them 1.5 million against the cap, buyout costs them 575k against the cap. Which would you do?
"It is a lot easier to be an ******* to words than to people"-xkcd

Tootoo does NOT belong on this team. He is classless and I would rather see the Wings be bad than classless. I feel the same way about Bertuzzi as well, but he at least CAN make the team better. With Tootoo the team becomes worse and in danger of being classless. Would you have liked Claude on the team? Or Roy? No. So why would you be okay with that POS.

This thread has been closed due to emotions being higher than people's ability to read, interpret, and properly respond to simple posts.

#40 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 02:21 PM

This story confuses me... They don't want to spend 3 million on him over the next season... so they refuse to spend 575k on him now to let him go?

Perhaps they saw how few D men were left and said okay... we will try trading him again on July third.
"It is a lot easier to be an ******* to words than to people"-xkcd

Tootoo does NOT belong on this team. He is classless and I would rather see the Wings be bad than classless. I feel the same way about Bertuzzi as well, but he at least CAN make the team better. With Tootoo the team becomes worse and in danger of being classless. Would you have liked Claude on the team? Or Roy? No. So why would you be okay with that POS.

This thread has been closed due to emotions being higher than people's ability to read, interpret, and properly respond to simple posts.