140 replies to this topic

#61 BostonBruinsDan1924

BostonBruinsDan1924

Rookie

• Pip
  • 178 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 10:28 PM

No one's worth 10 million a year including Vinny...sad :thumbdown:

I agree nobody is with $10M, however, it appears that the old GM thought that. The more I thought about Stamkos being a UFA I decided to look at players contracts and BAM Vinny takes up a s*** load or $$$ and years.

#62 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,639 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 10:33 PM

Maybe Yzerman is seeing if someone else will offer him a sheet, then match it. They have plenty of money left to sign him, but maybe Yzerman is taking the Holland stance and telling him that noone makes more than their Captain... dunno...

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#63 dragonballgtz

dragonballgtz

Yu-Gi-HOE

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 10:41 PM

I agree nobody is with $10M, however, it appears that the old GM thought that. The more I thought about Stamkos being a UFA I decided to look at players contracts and BAM Vinny takes up a s*** load or $$$ and years.

Also a nice $1.5M in buyouts this year. Prospal's buyout will continue to count against them till the end of 14-15 season.

#64 BostonBruinsDan1924

BostonBruinsDan1924

Rookie

• Pip
  • 178 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 10:58 PM

Stamkos is to young to be holding out for big money...sign a 2-3 year contract...4.5 per...Score 50 two of those three years then you are a franchise type kid...right now you are a young budding talent. Your first year was a dud, and showing signs...but if you want Vinny type money...you need to prove that you deserve it...at this point in his career, I don't even think Vinny is worth that much money anymore...

#65 BostonBruinsDan1924

BostonBruinsDan1924

Rookie

• Pip
  • 178 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 01:49 PM

**STAMKOS UPDATE** Well the Flyers are at it again... you can't turn your back for a second. Stamkos could become a member of the Flyer's lets hope not. The Flyers will put a trade offer together for Tampa Bay...they feel they cannot sign him. Stamkos still has not signed as of late Monday night. Tampa has offered Stamkos a five-year deal for $37.5 million, a cap hit of $7.5 million per season. Flyers GM Paul Holmgren said he fully expects Stamkos to resign with the Lightning. But with that said, the Flyers are prepared to make a trade proposal in the unlikely event he couldn't come to terms.

#66 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 01:53 PM

If Stamkos somehow goes to the Flyers. s***e. :thumbdown:

Edited by St. Michael (the Red Wing), 05 July 2011 - 02:01 PM.

#67 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 01:55 PM

Maybe Yzerman is seeing if someone else will offer him a sheet, then match it. They have plenty of money left to sign him, but maybe Yzerman is taking the Holland stance and telling him that noone makes more than their Captain... dunno...

This is a good stance for Yzerman. A good GM needs to send a message at some point and if Stamkos is being that greedy, that he won't take 7.5 freakin' million a year, for the team that drafted him, is showing signs of becoming a VERY strong team and has a chance to be competitive for years to come, well then, he needs a lesson in humility...

It's not like he's been offered mid level money, 7.5 is in the top 10% of players salaries in the NHL and he needs to set his ego aside and make it happen.... as others have suggested, if it's the term he has a problem with, then they need to sign a 2-3 year deal at even LESS and then he can worry about cashing in, once he's proven himself for more than a couple years...

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#68 Hatethedrake!

Hatethedrake!

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 02:00 PM

Hopefully Stamkos will re-sign with Tampa soon and all these ridiculous STAMKOS TO (INSERT TEAM HERE) rumours will end. He is not going anywhere.
Jordan Tootoo will wreck shop.

We need someone like Parise that can penetrate the box.-blueadams

#69 Hockey13Playa

Hockey13Playa

Here's my card.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 02:03 PM

**STAMKOS UPDATE** Well the Flyers are at it again... you can't turn your back for a second. Stamkos could become a member of the Flyer's lets hope not. The Flyers will put a trade offer together for Tampa Bay...they feel they cannot sign him. Stamkos still has not signed as of late Monday night. Tampa has offered Stamkos a five-year deal for $37.5 million, a cap hit of $7.5 million per season. Flyers GM Paul Holmgren said he fully expects Stamkos to resign with the Lightning. But with that said, the Flyers are prepared to make a trade proposal in the unlikely event he couldn't come to terms.

Oh dear God this would make me one happy man if he lands in Philly.

Posted Image

#70 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 02:31 PM

I just honestly cannot get my brain around he's not signed yet. I just can't imagine Stamkos not re-signing there, either he's been on vacation for a week or there's blood in the water in Tampa...
....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#71 Hatethedrake!

Hatethedrake!

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 02:37 PM

I just honestly cannot get my brain around he's not signed yet. I just can't imagine Stamkos not re-signing there, either he's been on vacation for a week or there's blood in the water in Tampa...

I think Stevie is trying to get Stamkos locked up for a reasonable contract. Stamkos likely sees all these mediocre UFA signing for big bucks (Wisniewski, Ehrhoff, Richards etc.) and now he should receive more. They will work it out eventually.
Jordan Tootoo will wreck shop.

We need someone like Parise that can penetrate the box.-blueadams

#72 dragonballgtz

dragonballgtz

Yu-Gi-HOE

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 02:45 PM

This is a good stance for Yzerman. A good GM needs to send a message at some point and if Stamkos is being that greedy, that he won't take 7.5 freakin' million a year, for the team that drafted him, is showing signs of becoming a VERY strong team and has a chance to be competitive for years to come, well then, he needs a lesson in humility...

It's not like he's been offered mid level money, 7.5 is in the top 10% of players salaries in the NHL and he needs to set his ego aside and make it happen.... as others have suggested, if it's the term he has a problem with, then they need to sign a 2-3 year deal at even LESS and then he can worry about cashing in, once he's proven himself for more than a couple years...

So if they take the short contract route can he still become a RFA within a certain time frame? Right now they can get something out of this no matter what happens. If you sign him to a contract that is short but long enough for him to become a UFA at the end of it they could come out on the losing end of that situation.

If Yzerman is Holland I expect whatever he does to be good for his team now and in the future.

#73 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 02:49 PM

So if they take the short contract route can he still become a RFA within a certain time frame? Right now they can get something out of this no matter what happens. If you sign him to a contract that is short but long enough for him to become a UFA at the end of it they could come out on the losing end of that situation.

If Yzerman is Holland I expect whatever he does to be good for his team now and in the future.

and that would not include trading away a player like Stamkos, as there is minimal return that would make it worth trading him and if the only way they can get a deal ironed out, is to make it shorter term, that is far better than the alternative, then you revisit the contract in a couple years and maybe even another CBA from now and see how it plays out...

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#74 Hiei

Hiei

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 07:54 PM

Trade Hudler, a bag of pucks and Kris Draper's left skate blade for stamkos.

GIT R DONE KENNY!

"Hit em with your purse, ya *****!" - Random Wings fans shouting at Franziska

#75 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 08:21 PM

and that would not include trading away a player like Stamkos, as there is minimal return that would make it worth trading him and if the only way they can get a deal ironed out, is to make it shorter term, that is far better than the alternative, then you revisit the contract in a couple years and maybe even another CBA from now and see how it plays out...

I don't know. I remember another team trading a big young superstar to Philly not all that long ago, and it seemed to work out pretty well for them... :ph34r:

#76 BigWillieStyle

BigWillieStyle

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 09:32 PM

I don't know. I remember another team trading a big young superstar to Philly not all that long ago, and it seemed to work out pretty well for them... :ph34r:

I don't recall that big young superstar raising a Cup over his head. But I do remember that other team hoisting up 2 of them. Well, kind of that other team.

As for Stamkos, I guess all he really needs to do is hold up Ovi'$ contract, and Crosby'$ contract, and Malkin'$ contract and ask Yzerman, "Why are they making so much more than you're offering me?" Not that I'm for that argument, but in the grand scheme of things, he is a commodity, not just a person. I think his agent probably understands this, all too well.

Edited to keep on topic.

Second edit: Upon reading your comment with my eyes open, I realized that we were saying the same thing, I think.

Edited by BigWillieStyle, 05 July 2011 - 09:47 PM.

#77 BostonBruinsDan1924

BostonBruinsDan1924

Rookie

• Pip
  • 178 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 11:00 PM

With the Lightning signing Ryan Shannon and Stevie Y saying his roster is set...I just don't see Stamkos staying with the bolts. Vinny has a cap hit of $7.7M from 2009-2010 until 2019-2020. Tampa has $15.4M in cap space and $3.2M in Bonuses...there is no way Tampa can meet any offer sheet and not violate the 2005 CBA rules or front load it w/o the NHL looking at it...not a snowballs chance in hell. I say he walks.

#78 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,521 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 11:06 PM

I just can't believe Stamkos would walk away from Tampa. I don't see it happening. If there is even the slightest chance that he'd leave, I hope he goes to a bottom feeder.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#79 BostonBruinsDan1924

BostonBruinsDan1924

Rookie

• Pip
  • 178 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 11:24 PM

I don't see him going to a "bottom feeder"...he'll go to a Cup contending team and he'll stay in the East. I could be wrong, however, I say he walks and stays in the East.

#80 CanadaBoy

CanadaBoy

The Red Wing Ring

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,593 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 11:37 PM

Stamkos will be wearing the Winged Wheel next season. Posted Image
But my most coveted thing is a high self-esteem
And a low tolerance for them telling me how to lean
See the most important parts are the ones that are unseen
The Wings don't make you fly and the Crown don't make you king
Now God don't like ugly, ain't too happy bout pretty
I am ignorance's enemy so stay out of the vicinity of...
~ Lupe Fiasco - Gold Watch