• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Ozzie30

Wings re-sign Ericsson to 3-year, $9.75m contract

Rate this topic

I think the Defense coaching had more to do with the poor play of our defense and the growth of Ericsson then his actual play. IMO since our D coach has changed, this team's defense has never been the same. IMHO if we can grab a decent defensive guru that can groom the upcoming kids and just put Ericsson back into line, this could be a good signing.

Until then this signing is nothing more then a desperation / backup signing by Holland. After Wisnieski, I don't see any other defensman that is young and that would even interest me. So having Ericsson back isn't that bad after all.

+1.... I still have all the trust in Kenny

Guest Crymson

Franzen, Kindl, 2012 3rd rounder. said this many times. franzen > seto

sign gagne to replace franzen done. boom.

Great, let's take a power forward and pure goal scorer who is on a reasonable long-term contract (in an era in which contracts become more and more bloated EVERY YEAR) and trade him. And let's replace him with a guy who scored a whopping 34 goals over the last two seasons combined (while playing with Richards, Giroux, Stamkos and Lecavalier on teams capable of making it deep into the playoffs) and has an extensive history of major concussions. Oh, and let's pay him more than Franzen would have cost, because he'll demand more than $4m in this atrocious UFA pool. And let's bear in mind that the lack of a top-level prospect and a first-round draft pick means that this deal probably wouldn't have gone through anyway.

Good call, bro. Do you have any other ways in which you could demonstrate that you'd make a better GM than Holland?

Edited by Crymson

Ericsson is such an interesting player. He gets alot of hate on here, yet Babcock logs him a ton of minutes and Holland signs him to $3.25 a year for 3 years. I'm glad he's back, although I don't agree with the price, but Babcock and Holland know more than I do.

"Holland sucks! Fire him!"

"We're so screwed! What is Holland doing?"

"This team is going to suck next year!"

"Holland is a terrible GM!"

If you haven't seen this sort of asinine sentiment in superlative quantity in this thread, then you're literally blind.

Yeah, I agree that it is REALLY overreacting to want to fire Holland after one bad move. He's been the best GM for a while now--especially since he doesn't do stupid things.

However, this one move was extremely stupid. Call a spade a spade and admit this was a stupid, stupid signing. Constantly praising Holland and belittling those criticizing him doesn't make you more of a fan. People have the right to be upset with something like this. They're upset because they care. Obviously, as a result, they're going to make those over-dramatic statements you incessantly gripe about.

I'm truly worried that this signing could set an extremely bad precedent.

How much are Kronwall and Stuart going to want? Surely, they'll want at minimum $5-5.5M now. It's tough to justify them taking much less when ******* Ericsson is making $3.25M.

Great, let's take a power forward and pure goal scorer who is on a reasonable long-term contract (in an era in which contracts become more and more bloated EVERY YEAR) and trade him. And let's replace him with a guy who scored a whopping 34 goals over the last two seasons combined and has an extensive history of major concussions. Oh, and let's pay him more than Franzen would have cost. And let's bear in mind that the lack of a top-level prospect and a first-round draft pick means that this deal probably wouldn't have gone through anyway.

Good call, bro.

franzen's contract is going to look terrible in a couple years. he's injury prone and signed till hes like 40.... i'm not a fan of that contract.... burns is a great dman. u can't just point out his faults and then say franzen has none. franzen is very injury prone. so pluses on burns... young, loads of potential on a great team like detroit, young, big, right shot....

This has to be the first time I don't disagree with a Eklund article, what a rotten turn of events.

Yea. His past success (literally up to the present) means nothing in the face of one signing. Good call, bro. Wasn't it you who swore up and down after the '08 Cup win that Holland was a genius and that you'd never doubt him again? Well, I guess you underestimated your ability to remain rational on a long-term basis.

I said I was glad he didnt trade filppula for fedorov. This finally prooves he is not a genius. He is absolutely horrible!! This will be a contract that he will regret....

Guest Crymson

Yeah, I agree that it is REALLY overreacting to want to fire Holland after one bad move. He's been the best GM for a while now--especially since he doesn't do stupid things.

However, this one move was extremely stupid. Call a spade a spade and admit this was a stupid, stupid signing. Constantly praising Holland and belittling those criticizing him doesn't make you more of a fan. People have the right to be upset with something like this. They're upset because they care. Obviously, as a result, they're going to make those over-dramatic statements you incessantly gripe about.

How much are Kronwall and Stuart going to want? Surely, they'll want at minimum $5-5.5M now. It's tough to justify them taking much less when ******* Ericsson is making $3.25M.

I detest Ericsson's play and I detest the fact that he'll be with the team at all. However, I think that calling for Holland's head over it and declaring him a horrible GM over it is stupid beyond belief.

Edited by Crymson

Big E isn't even a righty who can come even remotely close to filling Raffys spot. I can justify Holland overpaying to fill this void but this is retarded. I would pay Erhoff .75 million more and he is quit a bit better, thats a no brained move. BS signing. Do you guys remember how many picks over the last decade we have traded away, weve traded first, ad seconds, and we cant even cough up a 7th rounder for Wis's rights or a 4th for Erhoff? Do you guys know the odds of drafting a guy in the 7th round that would be as good a player as Wiz or a forth as good as Erhoff? The chances are way slimmer then the odds of that player signing after trading for the rights. Rediculous. I bet Holland took a gamble thinking nobody would be dealt for rights, and they would be available July 1st and he could have his pickings, well he f***ed up. He obviously dropped the ball on not being in on Erhoff rights as well from NY. In a panic he signs Erricson to this stupid contract.

FIRE HOLLAND. ALL OF HIS PAST SUCCESS MEANS NOTHING IN THE FACE OF THIS ONE SIGNING! WE ARE RATIONAL PEOPLE---HEAR US ROAR! RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE!

Now you're just trolling this thread.

For the first time EVER, every poster on LGW agrees on something unanimously, and you have to f*** it up.

Do you actually think this was a good signing?

Guest Crymson

franzen's contract is going to look terrible in a couple years. he's injury prone and signed till hes like 40.... i'm not a fan of that contract.... burns is a great dman. u can't just point out his faults and then say franzen has none. franzen is very injury prone. so pluses on burns... young, loads of potential on a great team like detroit, young, big, right shot....

ONE YEAR LEFT ON HIS CONTRACT.

And if you think Franzen sucks so badly, why in the hell do you think that Minnesota would want him over Setoguchi?

DURRR.

Agree. This doesn't mean Holland still isn't great, but it shows he (like all GM's) isn't always perfect.